Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

SnakesRevenge posted:

That's still something else. It could be the same nib maybe, but the nib creeper is a piston fill, and this one is a straight eyedropper.

Yeah, it's a completely different pen. I actually emailed Noodlers and they confirmed that those pens are Noodlers pens and are not nib creepers. I actually prefer them to preppies since they're designed to be eye droppers but they aren't sold individually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Magnus Praeda posted:

Yeah, it's a completely different pen. I actually emailed Noodlers and they confirmed that those pens are Noodlers pens and are not nib creepers. I actually prefer them to preppies since they're designed to be eye droppers but they aren't sold individually.
You actually like them? Well now. I'll be happy to trade you mine for a Preppy.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
One of my coworkers had her 5 year old at the office and was letting him sort of free-range around while we worked on some stuff. I had one of my pens in the room where we were working and didn't notice that he'd slipped around and grabbed it off the desk. Fortunately it was my Konrad and the cap was screwed on nice and tight, so it wasn't the disaster it could have been. Unfortunately those caps have a screw-on end and I don't know if the clip was keeping it from sealing or what, but after he completely filled the cap with ink by shaking the pen it leaked a bit so he ended up with red hands, his mom got red hands taking it away from him, and he splattered some on the carpet.

When I was cleaning it up he saw the dismantled pen and thought it was broken and apologized for taking it. My coworker said that was the most serious apology she has ever heard out of him. :v:

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

dino. posted:

You actually like them? Well now. I'll be happy to trade you mine for a Preppy.

Like? No. They're useful for testing inks since I can fill it, test the ink, and dump the ink back in the sample vial without dealing with a converter or worrying that the o-ring or silicone grease will fail, leaving me with inky hands. They're a terrible pen for regular use, though.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

shadysight posted:

I'm looking for advice on repairing a pen (or if I should just replace it).

The other day my medium point Lamy Safari spontaneously stopped working. This was something of a surprise since my Lamy's have generally been my standard of pens that always work fine. But this one just stopped writing one day, despite having ink in it. I've tried cleaning it out repeatedly, and soaking it overnight, but that doesn't seem to have brought the flow back. Then I tried cleaning it with a touch of water + ammonia, and that also hasn't helped. I've tried poking at the nib a couple times, taking it off and cleaning under it, and still nothing.

It's annoying, since I can sometimes fidget it into writing for a little by just making sure it's really, really wet with ink to start, but then it's completely dry again the next day. I'd think it was something to do with the cap then, but it looks fine and still snaps on nicely and stays in place.

I'm out of ideas short of trying replacing the nib or the whole thing. Does anyone have any other ideas?

I decided to do a test to see if it was the pen or the nib that was acting up, by switching nibs between the non-working pen and my broad lamy, which has been working fine. The result is: They both work now. I'm not sure if I should be disappointed with that or not.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

shadysight posted:

I decided to do a test to see if it was the pen or the nib that was acting up, by switching nibs between the non-working pen and my broad lamy, which has been working fine. The result is: They both work now. I'm not sure if I should be disappointed with that or not.

Chances are some crud got caught below the nib and isn't there anymore I guess :shrug:

Arcturas
Mar 30, 2011

I realize it's not a fountain pen, but does anyone have any experience finding or identifying cartridges for ballpoint/other pens? One of my friends received a pen as a graduation present. His parents got it at Liber Venezia, which is apparently a shop in Venice, and the cartridge in the pen has no labels or text he can use to figure out where to get a replacement. The cartridge also has some odd threading, so you thread it into the front part of the pen, then thread the back part of the body over it. (The threading on the cardridge is between the reservoir and the tapered tip bit.)

I can get pictures eventually if they'd help.

shadysight
Mar 31, 2007

Only slightly crazy

blowfish posted:

Chances are some crud got caught below the nib and isn't there anymore I guess :shrug:

Swapped the nibs back and the broken pen is broken again, so there's something in how the two parts interact. I also swapped the broken pen's cap with a working pen's, and the working pen started to have issues, so it seems my safari has three issues that combine to make it a non-working pen. I guess that gives me ways to make it work again, but I might replace it anyway. It's a $25 pen that I've been using for over a year, and I don't cherish the idea of spreading the badness around to my other Lamys, or having one pen continually on the verge of no longer working.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Arcturas posted:

I realize it's not a fountain pen, but does anyone have any experience finding or identifying cartridges for ballpoint/other pens? One of my friends received a pen as a graduation present. His parents got it at Liber Venezia, which is apparently a shop in Venice, and the cartridge in the pen has no labels or text he can use to figure out where to get a replacement. The cartridge also has some odd threading, so you thread it into the front part of the pen, then thread the back part of the body over it. (The threading on the cardridge is between the reservoir and the tapered tip bit.)

I can get pictures eventually if they'd help.

Pictures would definitely be appreciated.

I'm still not sure how the cartridge looks from your description, but does it look like this?

edit: So I got myself the Pilot Metropolitan pen as a Christmas present to myself. I've been working with it for a while now, but one thing I must say is although I appreciate how fun writing with it is, I don't appreciate the fact that I apparently have to buy special paper or notebooks in order to write with it. I'm lucky I happen to have some old no-name composition books that have been made in Vietnam because those don't bleed through at all, but if I want to work with cheaper paper, I'm out of luck.

I'm just wondering if other people have felt the same way. Is a pen with really smooth writing and the ability to work on any quality of paper to much to ask for?

EagerSleeper fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Dec 7, 2013

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

EagerSleeper posted:

edit: So I got myself the Pilot Metropolitan pen as a Christmas present to myself. I've been working with it for a while now, but one thing I must say is although I appreciate how fun writing with it is, I don't appreciate the fact that I apparently have to buy special paper or notebooks in order to write with it. I'm lucky I happen to have some old no-name composition books that have been made in Vietnam because those don't bleed through at all, but if I want to work with cheaper paper, I'm out of luck.

I'm just wondering if other people have felt the same way. Is a pen with really smooth writing and the ability to work on any quality of paper to much to ask for?

I've never had that problem on my metro. What ink(s) are you using with it?

I keep mine inked up with Diamine Ancient Copper and never ever have any bleedthrough issues, while the preppy that I keep loaded with Pilot blue absolutely murders cheap paper.

Fake edit: I just ordered a Jinhao x450 from xFountain pens with a shiny Knox medium nib. It was more money that it was worth, but I wanted a shiny green one that didn't have to travel from China. The FPN activity surrounding this pen seems generally positive, though I'd love to know about any experiences goons have had with it.

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Lord Girlyman posted:

I keep mine inked up with Diamine Ancient Copper and never ever have any bleedthrough issues, while the preppy that I keep loaded with Pilot blue absolutely murders cheap paper.

Funny you mention that, since I'm using the free Pilot black ink cartridge that came with it, while I also have Diamine Ancient Copper on hand. :kiddo:

Yeah, I gotta back you up on the Ancient Copper ink doing really well. I actually I have a cheaper pen that I use that ink with, and I've tested it on cheap loose leaf paper. Barely any showthrough, not to even mention bleedthrough. Haha, I guess I just didn't think much of the ink as a daily-note-taking ink since it didn't do well when I highlighted over it before.

I assume other colors that Diamine has preform just as well on cheap papers then? If so, then I'll be good. As much as I want to find something that I can highlight over, I guess I'd be okay so long as I can write on any type of paper, even on both sides of it.

milpreve
Feb 29, 2012
I have never had a writing problem with any ink (Noodler's, Rohrer & Klingner, Private Reserve, Lamy, J. Herbin) in my Metro, except for some feathering with J. Herbin Lierre Sauvage on really cheap notebook paper. I have never used the included cartridge, though, so I can't compare.

supercow
Aug 11, 2009
Are there any cheaper alternatives to rotring 600? I really dig the design but don't really have the cash to spend at minimum $100 likely closer to $200 on ebay.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

supercow posted:

Are there any cheaper alternatives to rotring 600? I really dig the design but don't really have the cash to spend at minimum $100 likely closer to $200 on ebay.
They're $33 on Jetpens, unless you're insistent on getting an old one.

supercow
Aug 11, 2009

iostream.h posted:

They're $33 on Jetpens, unless you're insistent on getting an old one.

Err I meant the rotring 600 fountain pen. Unless I'm missing something, seems like jetpens only has the mechanical pencil.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

supercow posted:

Err I meant the rotring 600 fountain pen. Unless I'm missing something, seems like jetpens only has the mechanical pencil.

This probably isn't close to what you are looking for, though it shares a similar aesthetic.

It's a thing from thinkgeek: http://www.thinkgeek.com/product/f4a3/?srp=1

It's a rugged looking steel thing, though I can't vouch for the quality of the nib/feed.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

supercow posted:

Maybe have a look at the Rotring Newton?

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

supercow posted:

Sorry, I didn't even consider that being what you meant. I DID think it was a bit odd asking for a pencil I this thread but figured I'd try and be helpful anyway!

I just saw Rotring 600 and went with it.

supercow
Aug 11, 2009

iostream.h posted:

Sorry, I didn't even consider that being what you meant. I DID think it was a bit odd asking for a pencil I this thread but figured I'd try and be helpful anyway!

I just saw Rotring 600 and went with it.

Haha no worries thanks.

blowfish posted:

Maybe have a look at the Rotring Newton?

Not a huge fan of the 3rd generation Rotring Newton. I might look into the 2nd gen Rotring, seems to be significantly cheaper but still has a similar look to the original rotring 600.

I did find this
http://www.levenger.com/Pens---Refills-8/L-Tech-Stealth-Fountain-Pen-Core-8057.aspx
which looks like a rotring copy but at $80, might as well pick up a 2nd gen rotring on ebay.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

Lord Girlyman posted:

Fake edit: I just ordered a Jinhao x450 from xFountain pens with a shiny Knox medium nib. It was more money that it was worth, but I wanted a shiny green one that didn't have to travel from China. The FPN activity surrounding this pen seems generally positive, though I'd love to know about any experiences goons have had with it.

I have a Jinhao x450, it is broken. It wrote okay, not great, but I got it off eBay for like 5 bucks including shipping. The way it broke was the body became detached from the rest of it, so when you try to uncap it, you just pull the body off and can't ever get to the pen. If that doesn't happen you'll have an okay pen, but the Metro is much, much better. Actually you got a different nib, so I don't know about all that, so just be careful about the body coming undone I guess.

Rodney Chops
Jan 5, 2006
Exceedingly Narrow Minded

EagerSleeper posted:

I write exclusivly on craptastic office paper. Low Quality Printer Paper, Low Quality no name graph paper, low quality 'hillroy' wallmart notebooks. Its all our company buys. No real comment on bleed through, because a bic roller ball you can see from the other side. Only problem I've had is I consistantly gum up the tines on the metro with bits of paper. Smooth, smooth, smooth NO INK SCRATCHY. Cleanout, repeat. My Lamy doesn't feel as smooth, yet never jams with paper. No sense. Using baystate blue.

Verdugo
Jan 5, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Rodney Chops posted:

I write exclusivly on craptastic office paper. Low Quality Printer Paper, Low Quality no name graph paper, low quality 'hillroy' wallmart notebooks. Its all our company buys. No real comment on bleed through, because a bic roller ball you can see from the other side. Only problem I've had is I consistantly gum up the tines on the metro with bits of paper. Smooth, smooth, smooth NO INK SCRATCHY. Cleanout, repeat. My Lamy doesn't feel as smooth, yet never jams with paper. No sense. Using baystate blue.

I too use a pilot metro, in both stub and m nibs. I really only have bleedthrough on copier paper, and that's if I'm using Heart of Darkness or Polar Blue. Never really have an issue with jams either. I've used the stock cartridges too with no problem. Maybe you had a weird batch of ink?

Drythe
Aug 26, 2012

I recently bought a Metro and a dropper bottle of ink and I found it to be much easier to just use the dropper to drop the ink directly into the converter, is there any major downside to doing this?

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

Drythe posted:

I recently bought a Metro and a dropper bottle of ink and I found it to be much easier to just use the dropper to drop the ink directly into the converter, is there any major downside to doing this?

As long as you're super careful and don't accidentally spray your brand new wool sweater with Heart of Darkness, then there is absolutely no downside.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
You might as well get some blunt tip syringes, they're cheap and you slightly reduce ruining your shirt.

http://www.amazon.com/Syringes-Blunt-Fill-Needles-pack/dp/B003EE3A9W

Just listen to these glowing reviews!

Heather posted:

I got these for my husband who insisted on buying gummy bears regular and huge size to try filling with vodka and he has yet to do it. but the needles are what we were looking for and are great for our stupid need....

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Drythe posted:

I actually don't even bother with the converter, and just use the eyedropper in the Noodler's ink bottles on the cartridge. I feel like the cartridge has more space in it or something. Seriously, the mouth on the Metro stuff is freaking huge and gaping. Same goes for the Plumix. That thing has an enormous hole in the cart, which I just use the eyedropper with. Easy peasy. Come to think of it, the Pelikano cart is pretty wide mouthed too.

I bought a syringe to fill up my carts with, but haven't had to use it, because the mouths are so huge and gaping.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

dino. posted:

I feel like the cartridge has more space in it or something.

I am almost positive that a cartridge has more capacity than a CON-50 and maybe even a CON-20.

Also, I just discovered that there are cheap pens from China that aren't Hero 616s or things that you overpay an American company for.

The soon-to-be-mine Hero 9315 I ordered for about $10 including shipping. That price puts it well into the premium range for Chinese pens straight from the homeland. If it writes almost as well as a preppy then I will call it a victory.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
A victory containing rose "gold" and something that can only be euphemistically termed an amethyst.

Rudeboy Detective
Apr 28, 2011

It looks really cool. :colbert:

Edit: Who am I kidding? It probably writes like a rusty nail as well. But it looks nice.

Sarern
Nov 4, 2008

:toot:
Won't you take me to
Bomertown?
Won't you take me to
BONERTOWN?

:toot:
I just got my first italic nib, and now I want to get italic nibs for all of my pens. Is this a common problem?

Do any of you know older pens well enough to identify or value them? I've been getting some older pens as gifts from older relatives across the Atlantic, and while I have no intention of selling them (priceless family heirlooms!) I am giving serious thought to finally getting renter's insurance to cover them or putting them in a safety deposit box. Supposedly coming my way is a retirement pen from a long-passed relative which is from the Portuguese equivalent of the Postal service, and I doubt there's many of those floating around.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

We can certainly give it a try. Make sure to photograph full-length, plus closeups of the nib, clip, the filling mechanism and any imprints

Daerc
Sep 23, 2007

Look! A door! This must mean something!

Sarern posted:

I just got my first italic nib, and now I want to get italic nibs for all of my pens. Is this a common problem?

It's not exactly uncommon. Having said that, it's useful, every once in a while, to have a traditional nib inked up for writing on crappy paper.

Brightman
Feb 24, 2005

I've seen fun you people wouldn't believe.
Tiki torches on fire off the summit of Kilauea.
I watched disco balls glitter in the dark near the Brandenburg Gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like crowds in rain.

Time to sleep.

angerbeet posted:

You might as well get some blunt tip syringes, they're cheap and you slightly reduce ruining your shirt.

http://www.amazon.com/Syringes-Blunt-Fill-Needles-pack/dp/B003EE3A9W

Just listen to these glowing reviews!

These are good syringes for pen/ink purposes, the only problem I have is that you only need like 3 of them, 1 if you want to rinse it a lot. So now my pen chest's bottom drawer is filled with syringes, and that's not weird :v:

What is weird is that I either know that couple in the review and they used a false name for the review, or there are two couples out there filling gummy bears with vodka. Probably more cool than weird really, also probably more than two couples, especially now with that review there.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!
Wouldn't it be cheaper to get regular syringes and then use sandpaper to make the tips blunt? I do that (but instead of sandpaper I use a bit of sharpening stone, eh)

triskadekaphilia
Oct 29, 2004
I got Noodler's regular ol' blue ink for my birthday, and for the life of my I have not successfully filled a pen yet without getting it all over my hands. It also doesn't seem to dry as fast as my other inks, even though I don't think it's supposed to be anything special. Is my mind just playing tricks on me? Because I enjoy the color but I am really tired of looking like I strangled a smurf when I go into the office or have to shake someone's hand.

Also just put Noodler's Q'ternity and Rome Burning on my christmas list (and a couple Diamines). Does anyone have any opinion on them? Especially Rome Burning, because it looks awesome, but maybe more novelty than anything, although with the rate that my cats spill water on my desk my notebooks may end up looking pretty nifty.

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits
I had a sample of Rome Burning a little while ago. It does feel like a novelty/special occasion ink for me, at least. It's pretty--very metallic and a shiny gold color that could be great if you want to embellish some of the stuff you're writing but I could see it being a little annoying if you're trying to take extensive notes with it. From what I remember it was a really wet writer, too. The lines were pretty wide for the medium nibs I was using it with.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
The thing about Rome Burning is I want the gorgeous purple it turns after being CrimeHacked or whatever, without the crimehack.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

angerbeet posted:

The thing about Rome Burning is I want the gorgeous purple it turns after being CrimeHacked or whatever, without the crimehack.

I am probably dumb for asking this but what is a crimehack?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Luisfe posted:

I am probably dumb for asking this but what is a crimehack?

I think he means that like some other noodler's inks, when you treat it with bleach or whatever to delete it (~check fraud~) it turns pink.

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 10:58 on Dec 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
Essentially.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KcW1IlaxFs

I don't want to go around dipping all my papers etc. in bleach.