Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
It's a little weighted in that the hard part of alerts is really getting to the boss, with all the large volume/small damage hits on the way, rather than the boss itself, which is usually a snooze. There's only a couple of bosses that are really hard and those tend to be hard on everyone equally (Kevin Poe, Valerian). I'm not counting the gimmick bosses like Ao or Cimetiere.

VVV that's true but what nobody took crip challenge on your team?

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Dec 2, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HukHukHuk
Jun 27, 2011

I am the sound of cats and hairballs.
IIRC, you could just take crippling challenge and disable the Baron's block and it would trivialize the fight. I remember it being hilarious when I figured it out.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh you sneaky fuckers. They buffed Targeting Computer as had been discussed (more crit chance/severity) but they didn't tell anyone.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

Low morale causes the golems to dance in panic.
Yeah, that patch was really quite sloppy - basically everything that was on the PTS that changed power mechanics was pushed to live without warning. So that includes the mysterious inclusion of Earth Form, and some strange and questionable changes to damage debuff effects - namely, people claim they're weaker now?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!
Speaking of power armor:

quote:

(Link to this build)

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Ego (Primary)
Level 10: Intelligence (Secondary)
Level 15: Constitution (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: The Invincible
Level 6: Healthy Mind
Level 9: Ascetic
Level 12: Academics
Level 15: Field Ops Training
Level 18: Investigator
Level 21: Daredevil

Powers:
Level 1: Power Bolts
Level 1: Targeting Computer (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 6: Energy Shield (Rank 2, Phalanx Defense System)
Level 8: Plasma Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Overdrive
Level 14: Eye Beam (Rank 2, Rank 3, Accelerated Metabolism)
Level 17: Concentration
Level 20: Reconstruction Circuits (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 23: Micro Munitions (Rank 2, Alpha Strike)
Level 26: Orbital Cannon (Rank 2, Anvil of Dawn)
Level 29: Fire All Weapons (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 32: Unbreakable
Level 35: Ego Surge
Level 38: Lock N Load

Travel Powers:
Level 6: Jet Boots (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 35: Teleportation

Specializations:
Ego: Force of Will (2/2)
Ego: Insight (3/3)
Ego: Follow Through (2/3)
Ego: Sixth Sense (3/3)
Guardian: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Guardian: Ruthless (2/2)
Guardian: Find the Mark (2/3)
Guardian: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Offensive Expertise (2/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (3/3)
Mastery: Ego Mastery (1/1)

Any problems? Not sure if I need to grab endurance or recovery instead of constitution, or maybe dex would be better for more crits? Still, I don't like losing all the HP I can get from Con.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

All of the "-10%" type effects I can think of are now "-9.1%". Sigils of Ebon Weakness got cut by about half (it was pretty enormous before the patch anyway though).

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Speaking of power armor:

Any problems? Not sure if I need to grab endurance or recovery instead of constitution, or maybe dex would be better for more crits? Still, I don't like losing all the HP I can get from Con.

Plasma Beam is really, really hard to run without Endurance. Also think about Endurance primary/Kickback with Wrist Bolter/Automated Assault, it's just so drat comfortable for PA.

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 2, 2013

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Flesh Forge posted:

Plasma Beam is really, really hard to run without Endurance. Also think about Endurance primary/Kickback with Wrist Bolter/Automated Assault, it's just so drat comfortable for PA.

Even with the power cost discounts from intelligence and Insight in the Ego tree? I was thinking that with both of those I could get things down to around half energy cost. I don't want to lose ego as a stat so I'd have to give up con for endurance, but that would leave me pretty squishy.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Endurance primary has a lot of extra hitpoints in it (+4 per point of endurance, or something like 1200 at level 40). Look at the cost on plasma beam and do the math, maybe you can run it and maybe you can't. At least adjusting your superstats is pretty cheap in the early game.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Having just built a Kickback guy, I would recommend taking Readiness from the same tree. You want a pretty high equilibrium point to launch from, because it makes it easier to keep mana up - if your maintains starve and break you just kind of fall into a hole that you have to build out of.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Anyone have a good tanky build that's just centered around punching or kicking dudes? Switched my melee bruiser type character to freeform(I don't know why I ever made her as an AT in the first place) and I'm not totally sure what to do with her. Might or martial arts or whatever is fine, even some energy blast stuff tossed in there can work thematically. I'm not picky, just bad at building a character.

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 3, 2013

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

I'll try something different than what I usually do with builds, since most come out samey for me nowadays (esp. for melee style characters). What kind of superstats and equipment does that character have at the moment?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Bluhman posted:

I'll try something different than what I usually do with builds, since most come out samey for me nowadays (esp. for melee style characters). What kind of superstats and equipment does that character have at the moment?

She's just rolling in the full Armadillo set (probably not ideal, but she's not 40 yet) and has no superstats chosen whatsoever.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

What level is she now?

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Like 38, close to 40 but not enough to gear her up properly yet. Got tired of the AT she was using just feeling weak compared to other Freeforms I was running. Figured the sale was a good time to switch her over since I've got stipend to spare anyway.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Defiance/Enrage probably still works fine. Enrage gets Endorphin Rush, which heals you based on how deep Defiance is stacked. You can use Defensive Combo to maintain threat/Defiance stacks, and then pick up whatever knock powers you want - Uppercut? Haymaker? Roomsweeper? Primary STR, secondary CON/DEX. Wardicator, spec for survivability and then crits. I haven't played my old punchbot much since On Alert, so I'm not sure if there's anything I'm missing. Here is the loose sketch:

quote:

PowerHouse http://powerhouse.nullware.com/

Link to this build: http://powerhouse.nullware.com/powerhouse.html?v=7&n=&d=113299AGbBM0000I000IC00I700I903IG04ID00II00IJ000000000000000000000000003bIh3Ugt2PYc

Name:

Archetype: Freeform

Super Stats:
Level 6: Strength (Primary)
Level 10: Constitution (Secondary)
Level 15: Dexterity (Secondary)

Talents:
Level 1: Superhuman
Level 6: Martial Focus
Level 9: Physical Conditioning
Level 12: Acrobat
Level 15: Covert Ops Training
Level 18: Body and Mind
Level 21: Healthy Mind

Powers:
Level 1: Clobber
Level 1: Mighty Leap
Level 6: Roomsweeper
Level 8: Defiance (Rank 2, Rank 3)
Level 11: Enrage (Endorphin Rush)
Level 14: Uppercut
Level 17: Haymaker
Level 20: Havoc Stomp
Level 23:
Level 26:
Level 29:
Level 32:
Level 35:
Level 38:

Travel Powers:
Level 6:
Level 35:

Specializations:
Strength: Swole (3/3)
Strength: Quick Recovery (2/2)
Strength: Brutality (2/2)
Strength: Overpower (3/3)
Warden: Fortified Gear (3/3)
Warden: Ruthless (2/2)
Warden: Reactive Strikes (2/2)
Warden: The Best Defense (3/3)
Vindicator: Aggressive Stance (2/2)
Vindicator: Merciless (3/3)
Vindicator: Focused Strikes (2/3)
Vindicator: Modified Gear (1/2)
Vindicator: Mass Destruction (2/3)
Mastery: Strength Mastery (1/1)

EDIT: Based on testing, Endorphin Rush isn't tank material, but it might be good for survivability on an MDPS.

LordSaturn fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 4, 2013

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
So as I am reaching my third 40, does anyone actually play their 40s?

I usually just jump on Ankh most of the time to do Nem missions a couple of times a day to build up Heirlooms but now that I have two full sets, I have less reason to do it now.

What are some of the fun stuff I can do for 40? Also, I am always lamenting I don't have enough Char slots. There's always a new concept I want to try :argh:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

Question: Do ego blades still scale with ego or did they change it?

Also, do ranged specializations in the ego tree apply to ego blade powers?

AVeryLargeRadish fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Dec 4, 2013

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
I started out a subscriber, which gave me like 8 or 12 slots. Last year, I bought an LTS, which gave me another 8.

I've reached... I don't know... 8 40s? Which isn't many compared to a number of folks.

I play my 40s to get more Nem gear (I have plenty of non-40 chars that don't have it yet but closer all the time), do Gravitar, and alerts mostly, and occasionally when I have to Unity missions for Silver Champion Recognition gear.

I end up playing 40s a fair amount actually.

Also there are some lairs, Therakiel's Temple and Nemcon, that you can do teamed.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

Question: Do ego blades still scale with ego or did they change it?

Also, do ranged specializations in the ego tree apply to ego blade powers?

Ego blades scale with ego as far as non-superstat damage boosters go. Otherwise they are treated as melee for the purposes of specializations and powers (Like focus forms.)

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
I could totally do a good Ego Blade / Munitions build in that case right? Since investing in Ego would give me decent TK blades and ranged damage.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Ego blades DON'T scale with EGO, is what they're saying. Ego blades scale with STR, like every other melee power.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

LordSaturn posted:

Ego blades DON'T scale with EGO, is what they're saying. Ego blades scale with STR, like every other melee power.

I don't know how accurate this is, but I'm looking at the description of Ego Blade Annihilation right now, and there's a specific point for 'this scales off your Ego stat, not your Strength stat'.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

Allatum posted:

Ego blades scale with ego as far as non-superstat damage boosters go. Otherwise they are treated as melee for the purposes of specializations and powers (Like focus forms.)

Ok, very confused now. :confused:

Are we saying that the "+XX% ranged damage" from ego applies to ego blades and the "+XX% melee damage" from strength does not? The ego blades powers still say they scale with ego instead of strength, but I'm not sure if that is just an unupdated tool-tip or what.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Maybe? I haven't actually tested it, someone probably should. Welcome to Champions Online! :downs:

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

LordSaturn posted:

Maybe? I haven't actually tested it, someone probably should. Welcome to Champions Online! :downs:

I did some testing with dummies with ego as the PSS and with strength as the PSS, everything else the same, no equipment, etc. Most of the tests were with Ego Blade Frenzy because you get so many hits with it but I also checked with the other ego blade powers and it was consistent: Slightly more damage with Ego as the PSS. This was with a 50 point differential between STR and EGO, so that should make a noticeable difference. I wish I had some identical equipment with ego/str being the only difference, but I don't so I can't test with a larger spread between the two stats.

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

Wrong, Ego Blades, at their base, scale with EGO as if it were STR.

Beyond that, however, they're completely melee-based. They will get a stronger damage buff from use in Melee DPS role, and gain more damage from toggles like Martial Arts Forms or Enrage (yes it counts), than from something like Concentration. They're a bit easier to hybridize if you're strongly Ego-based, and might enable you to throw in some extra range damage abilities.

jerichojx
Oct 21, 2010
Hey now, if Ego Blades wanted to scale with STR, they would be called STR Blades :rimshot:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

jerichojx posted:

I usually just jump on Ankh most of the time to do Nem missions a couple of times a day to build up Heirlooms but now that I have two full sets, I have less reason to do it now.

What are some of the fun stuff I can do for 40? Also, I am always lamenting I don't have enough Char slots. There's always a new concept I want to try :argh:

I spend a lot of time on my 40s but yes they definitely have a "finished product" feel once I set up their final build and gear. Side note but related, I think I'm pretty much out of love with this game because there is so little content. Game's in great shape tech wise, just I've pretty much run out of interest. :smith:

Bluhman
Nov 7, 2009

jerichojx posted:

Smashes, after having been relegated to Level 20+ and changed to money rewards, are pretty much Level 40 quick runs to get quick money and Q. They almost always go easily now, so you could try those out.

But regardless, yeah, they need more stuff to do across the board. Even leveling new concepts/characters is pretty dull when it's still all the same stuff.
Though I still don't know if I've done everything I can in Lemuria...

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Alerts and Dailies are pretty much all that made it possible for me to come back to this game; I might have enough patience to get my current stable to level 40, but I'm almost certainly not making any more characters after that. Maybe in two more years they'll have more new stuff to try.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Bluhman posted:

Though I still don't know if I've done everything I can in Lemuria...

Yeah there's actually a little bit of content I never did in Lemuria also. The drowned James Bond guy's missions, and the jellyfish swarm thing, and maybe a couple other things besides that. :smith:

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Flesh Forge posted:

The drowned James Bond guy's missions

I'm pretty sure if you finish this chain you get a device that summons communist zombies.

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

I did some testing with dummies with ego as the PSS and with strength as the PSS, everything else the same, no equipment, etc. Most of the tests were with Ego Blade Frenzy because you get so many hits with it but I also checked with the other ego blade powers and it was consistent: Slightly more damage with Ego as the PSS. This was with a 50 point differential between STR and EGO, so that should make a noticeable difference. I wish I had some identical equipment with ego/str being the only difference, but I don't so I can't test with a larger spread between the two stats.

Since it's more or less a soft cap that starts around 100 or so IIRC you can actually get away with doing int+ whatever two stats with quarry. You'll be squishy since they nerfed quarry's dodge and such but that would still let you do something like STR/Con/Int and use enrage. Even use Force geyser or snap for the knocks and call it telekinesis.

James_Bonnell
Sep 20, 2013
As far as I'm concerned, I kind of consider the powers / character building to BE the content.

I'm sure I'll get tired of that eventually, but I still have characters I want to make workable and powersets to try.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Oh it definitely is, I just have ... uh, something like 50 characters now? Almost two full pages of them level 40.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Auras+Christmas patch is today. Starts in an hour and a half, scheduled for 3 hours.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

quote:

The Winter Wonderland Lockbox is now live. Possible prizes include the Dasher Winter Sleigh vehicle, a Become Workshop Elf device, and the Santa Suit costume.

That's going to be an expensive gimmick.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Do YOU want to be as obnoxious looking as possible?

Then you want to follow Kelp Plankton's four step program for being a horrible goddamn eyesore!

Step 1: Buy the 'three slot' aura unlock on your character of choice. This actually unlocks all six locked slots, but we're only using the in-combat ones.

Step 2: Buy your four aura set of choice. I prefer the Krackle aura, but anything garish and obnoxious will work. Put all four of them in your Combat Aura slots.

Step 3: Use this 'Rainbow Powers' bind. This was designed to change the colors of your powers at 'random' whenever you use one, but it will also change the color of your auras.

Step 4: Fight things. Your auras will change colors constantly, as they activate and deactivate with every single attack you make- and they won't all do it at the same time! They'll inherit entirely random colors, all four of them different from one another, and all of them changing every time you attack. And sometimes during attacks, depending on the power.

Congratulations, you're a crazy rainbow laser lightshow rear end in a top hat

and sorry about the double post, but this was worth posting

Sea Lily fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 7, 2013

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Kelp Plankton posted:

Do YOU want to be as obnoxious looking as possible?

Then you want to follow Kelp Plankton's five step program for being a horrible goddamn eyesore!

Step 1: Buy the 'three slot' aura unlock on your character of choice. This actually unlocks all six locked slots, but we're only using the in-combat ones.

Step 2: Buy your four aura set of choice. I prefer the Krackle aura, but anything garish and obnoxious will work. Put all four of them in your Combat Aura slots.

Step 3: Use this 'Rainbow Powers' bind. This was designed to change the colors of your powers at 'random' whenever you use one, but it will also change the color of your auras.

Step 4: Fight things. Your auras will change colors constantly, as they activate and deactivate with every single attack you make- and they won't all do it at the same time! They'll inherit entirely random colors, all four of them different from one another, and all of them changing every time you attack. And sometimes during attacks, depending on the power.

Congratulations, you're a crazy rainbow laser lightshow rear end in a top hat

and sorry about the double post, but this was worth posting

Well that answers the tough question of what to roll when I come back.

I'm thinking something using the garish as hell Arcane powers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allatum
Feb 20, 2008

Pillbug
I'm getting an unknown command prompt for "hue" when I try that. Did they change any command names recently?