Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Classtoise posted:

Either Showdown is wrong (highly likely) or it only works on the first turn, and subsequent turns will still go with no effect.

It's consistent with Gen 5 behavior - if Outrage is interrupted by anything, including having no effect due to Protect or Wonder Guard, it's immediately canceled, ending the lock-in but not confusing the user. Kind of a shame, though, as Outrage really needed to be riskier - Moxie Salamence with Outrage was my "gently caress this, I'm pressing the win button" card in Gen 5.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

Main Paineframe posted:

It's consistent with Gen 5 behavior - if Outrage is interrupted by anything, including having no effect due to Protect or Wonder Guard, it's immediately canceled, ending the lock-in but not confusing the user. Kind of a shame, though, as Outrage really needed to be riskier - Moxie Salamence with Outrage was my "gently caress this, I'm pressing the win button" card in Gen 5.

From Bulbapedia, which granted isn't the most trustworthy source...

Generation V
The effects of Outrage are the same as the previous generation; however, the move's PP was reduced to 10 and it is disrupted if it is not successful due to missing, sleeping, paralysis, freeze, flinching, a Protecting target, or Wonder Guard immunity. If a disruption occurs on what would have been the final, confusion-inducing turn of Outrage, the user will always become confused.

Leveling
Oct 30, 2012

Shogunate posted:

Out of interest what's more popular online, Charizard X or Y? Just by looking at it I assume Y is better but I get the feeling more people use X instead. I'd like to use Y since it looks like a good thing to pull out for last and have it wreck shop (after getting rid of any stealth rocks of course).
According to the stats of Pokémon Showdown for November, Charizard was used for 53% with the Y form, and for 43% with the X form.

Zoness posted:

Not just that, pull out a UU star in a weird speed tier and nobody will know what it does in OU.

I am like 5/5 for KOing Charizard-Y's with Mienshao's Stone Edge because 105 speed vs 100 speed. 3 of those KO's prompted immediate forfeits.
Another fun one is Zoroark.
I use him disguised as a Reuniclus, almost all of the time, I get my revenge kill. And apparently, it doesn't bother anyone to see Reuniclus outspeeding someone or using moves like Nasty Plot, Dark Pulse or Flamethrower. :v:

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry
Doesn't team preview kind of make Zoroark useless?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Pyrocat posted:

Doesn't team preview kind of make Zoroark useless?

No because you don't see the chosen team order. So yes there's a Zoro, but it could be anything.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Andrew_1985 posted:

T-Rex is just the best murderbeast. Blastoise was a letdown. I really wanted a Rotom, but after weeks of searching that Hotel, I didn't have any luck. (I didn't have any internet access for a while to GTS)

He only appears there on Tuesdays.

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
So when I start IV breeding, should I breed egg moves first or last? What I mean is do I finish the 5 IVs I want and then worry about moves after that?

Gensuki
Sep 2, 2011

Friendly Factory posted:

So when I start IV breeding, should I breed egg moves first or last? What I mean is do I finish the 5 IVs I want and then worry about moves after that?

Once you have the 5 IV pokemon, then go for moves. Ultimately, you're breeding for both at the same time by the end of it, but the moves are easier.

do u believe in marigolds
Sep 13, 2007

Ba Donk a Bonk posted:

I've been seeing this a lot in free battle. I've been using Mega Absol and it seems that about ~80% of people have no idea that it gets Magic Bounce. Getting free entry hazards is always nice.

On the other hand, I got swept by a Lanturn earlier because I literally had never seen one before. Turns out it gets Ice Beam and Thunderbolt, and all three pokemon I picked were weak to one of them. Edit: it had substitute also, so I just plain messed up. Still, surprise electric fish!

I run some rarely used stuff like Liepard and Ludicolo. I think some of the best decisions I've done is give my Gengar Thunderbolt, force switches with it'd Disable and Liepard's Encore, and not Mega my Gengar to keep it Levitating. I also always assume that a water Pokemon is capable of learning Ice Beam, sans Rotom-W.

What I have trouble with is being able to set up things like Sub-Seed, I dropped that from my Ludicolo for more offensive set that has Protect in it. That's another thing I rarely see: Protect. The only time I do see it is usually on Japanese players early in the morning and those people also switch their Pokemon and usually wreck me.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pyrocat posted:

I'm trying to set up a team for a custom 6v6 tournament, any advice is appreciated. Weird rules: no stealth rock (but other entry hazards are fine), evasion clause, item clause, no duplicate pokemon.

I don't have any specific advice, but how are you not running Dragonite or Volcarona in a Stealth Rock-less atmosphere?! Assuming winning is the objective above all else, both of them absolutely dominate with no rocks to worry about.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Quick one but I hoped this would go on forever :allears: (it only ended up being seven turns)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-67450792

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

Countblanc posted:

I don't have any specific advice, but how are you not running Dragonite or Volcarona in a Stealth Rock-less atmosphere?! Assuming winning is the objective above all else, both of them absolutely dominate with no rocks to worry about.

Trying to use my favorites. It's a friendly tournament. Spikes will still potentially be in play as well.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Pyrocat posted:

Trying to use my favorites. It's a friendly tournament. Spikes will still potentially be in play as well.

Yeah I got that spikes were still present, but Dragonite obviously gives zero fucks about that, and Volcarona doesn't care THAT much compared to 'rocks. And alright, I wasn't exactly sure what your team's goal was since there were quite a few decidedly OU things on it.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Shogunate posted:

Quick one but I hoped this would go on forever :allears: (it only ended up being seven turns)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/oubeta-67450792
I'm confused. Why did he forfeit? He spored your Smeargle.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

The Leper Colon V posted:

I'm confused. Why did he forfeit? He spored your Smeargle.

I've had like 75% of my ragequits cause I spored a thing, people don't like spores.

Misread that, but yeah I'll take it. I wanted it to last forever but no :(

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
So got a 5 IV Mawile finally. I want to build a Mega Mawile. I figure 252 Att but no idea what else to do. Her speed is always kind of bad. Maybe Dump it all in HP ?

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Gensuki posted:

Once you have the 5 IV pokemon, then go for moves. Ultimately, you're breeding for both at the same time by the end of it, but the moves are easier.

This makes no sense. Eggs move have completely reliable inheritance, so all you have to do is breed them on once and you are set. There's no reason not to start with the egg moves and then move on to IVs since your pokemon are always going to pass the egg moves down unless you screw something up.

canoshiz
Nov 6, 2005

THANK GOD FOR THE SMOKE MACHINE!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

So got a 5 IV Mawile finally. I want to build a Mega Mawile. I figure 252 Att but no idea what else to do. Her speed is always kind of bad. Maybe Dump it all in HP ?

252 Attack/252 HP/4 Def is pretty standard for M-Mawile, I think.

A question I've had for a while is: how do you determine more complex EV spreads? I get that you would do it accordingly to specific situations in order to optimize damage dealt or minimize damage taken from a certain attack, but I guess I am just not experienced enough to know which moves are specific threats that I should gear up for. Are there "rule of thumb" moves to look out for?

Pyrocat
Oct 31, 2006
not a furry

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yup, definitely 252 HP, 252 Atk to max defenses and huge power benefit. I put the last 4 in speed because you're not going to notice an extra point in Defense/S.Defense, but it might help you outspeed another Mawile or something else (when not relying on Sucker Punch). I suggest running Swords Dance / Sucker Punch / Foul Play / coverage move of your choice. Lead with swords dance, survive pretty much anything, and sucker punch priority 1HKOs pretty much anything that tries to kill you. It's an amazing Aegislash counter.

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Internet Kraken posted:

This makes no sense. Eggs move have completely reliable inheritance, so all you have to do is breed them on once and you are set. There's no reason not to start with the egg moves and then move on to IVs since your pokemon are always going to pass the egg moves down unless you screw something up.

Yeah, if you get a 5IV individual and then breed on the egg moves, you've suddenly diluted your IVs (unless you're breeding them from another individual that's also a 5IV pokemon) and will have to build them back up again. I usually get a female with the Nature I want, breed the egg moves on, and then work up the IVs.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

canoshiz posted:

252 Attack/252 HP/4 Def is pretty standard for M-Mawile, I think.

A question I've had for a while is: how do you determine more complex EV spreads? I get that you would do it accordingly to specific situations in order to optimize damage dealt or minimize damage taken from a certain attack, but I guess I am just not experienced enough to know which moves are specific threats that I should gear up for. Are there "rule of thumb" moves to look out for?

More complex EV spreads are often for HP in multiples or speed tiering. Gliscor is a good example - it takes enough hp to go even, then either puts points into speed to outspeed Adamant Lucario or puts as many points in defense as possible.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Even more specifically, the biggest things that cause specific spreads is, again, speed, or guaranteeing a KO against a certain common threat. Usually, you'll see something where it adds like 30-40 IVs to something in a lower tier so a mixed set can get a good 1H or 2HKO on something it wants to.

Third most common is to get 101HP (in Lv 100) or 51HP (in Lv 50) Substitutes so that Seismic Toss doesn't one-shot break the sub.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Pyrocat posted:

Yup, definitely 252 HP, 252 Atk to max defenses and huge power benefit. I put the last 4 in speed because you're not going to notice an extra point in Defense/S.Defense, but it might help you outspeed another Mawile or something else (when not relying on Sucker Punch). I suggest running Swords Dance / Sucker Punch / Foul Play / coverage move of your choice. Lead with swords dance, survive pretty much anything, and sucker punch priority 1HKOs pretty much anything that tries to kill you. It's an amazing Aegislash counter.

I don't get why people run Swords Dance on Mega Mawile. Its attack stat is so massive it doesn't even really need it, and Play Rough / Iron Head / Sucker Punch / Brick Break gives amazing coverage.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

LAY-ZX posted:

I don't get why people run Swords Dance on Mega Mawile. Its attack stat is so massive it doesn't even really need it, and Play Rough / Iron Head / Sucker Punch / Brick Break gives amazing coverage.
Because when you have an effective attack of 3000, who needs coverage? :getin:

Friendly Factory
Apr 19, 2007

I can't stand the wailing of women
If you're a weirdo and want a free 4IV Moody Remoraid then add me

4270-1720-8254

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

LAY-ZX posted:

Because shes slow as balls and you really need to make those neutral, un-STABed Sucker Punches pack a punch.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Sometimes things are EVed to take a specific attack. For instance, the standard Choice Band Snorlax in Gen V UU had Max Attack, enough Defense to take a +1 Outrage from Kingdra after Stealth Rock, 4 Speed to creep on Defensive Snorlax, Cofagrigus and Slowbro and the rest in Special Defense. A ton of stuff in VGC was EVed to take a Dragon Gem Draco Meteor from Timid Latios, too.

LAY-ZX posted:

There's no reason to run Iron Head, it's really redundant with Play Rough, Fire Fang is a lot better. Brick Break also has unimpressive coverage and could be replaced by something like Substitute to avoid getting burned.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Well, whatever, that's the set I run and I've never once been killed by something because of a lack of firepower.

Also, Final Gambit Accelgor is the funniest lead in Pokemon history. It results in absolutely no net gain but it makes people so drat mad.

Valex
Nov 28, 2009

by astral
Very important non-competitive Pokemon question; does anyone have a link to that huge fanart index that was posted a while back? I need to spam cute pictures elsewhere for a little bit

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

LAY-ZX posted:

Well, whatever, that's the set I run and I've never once been killed by something because of a lack of firepower.

Also, Final Gambit Accelgor is the funniest lead in Pokemon history. It results in absolutely no net gain but it makes people so drat mad.

Does Final Gambit break through Focus Sash, or..?

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Constable Lemon posted:

Does Final Gambit break through Focus Sash, or..?

No, so you do have to watch out for that, but there's plenty of things that like to lead but don't run it.

Like Ferrothorn. My Accelgor has exploded himself on so many Ferrothorns. :getin:

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

If you combine Final Gambit with Fake Out... :getin:

Ruggington
Apr 21, 2012

Valex posted:

Very important non-competitive Pokemon question; does anyone have a link to that huge fanart index that was posted a while back? I need to spam cute pictures elsewhere for a little bit

http://pg.jifish.co.uk/

Go forth and spam

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

So the last Pokemom game I played was Pearl. What should I know before I jump into Y?

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Xandoom posted:

So the last Pokemom game I played was Pearl. What should I know before I jump into Y?

Did you read the OP?

The game is still, at its core, the same. It is made so that an eight year old can easily play and enjoy it. Pick out 6 Pokemon (or more!) and go on an adventure. There's a bunch of other cool features and game mechanics as well, which you are free to use as much or as little as you'd like.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Xandoom posted:

This world is inhabited by creatures called Pokémon! For some people, Pokémon are pets. Other use them for fights.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

The Leper Colon V posted:

Even more specifically, the biggest things that cause specific spreads is, again, speed, or guaranteeing a KO against a certain common threat. Usually, you'll see something where it adds like 30-40 IVs to something in a lower tier so a mixed set can get a good 1H or 2HKO on something it wants to.

Third most common is to get 101HP (in Lv 100) or 51HP (in Lv 50) Substitutes so that Seismic Toss doesn't one-shot break the sub.

Here's an even more ridiculous reasoning for a spread:

a vgc 13 sand team writeup posted:

Instead of using the typical hyper-offensive Excadrill, I used a Bulky version instead, with Substitute and Leftovers. Although a strange concept, it does work. There are hardly any HP Evs at all on Excadrill due to its already high base HP. The Special Defense EVs on Excadrill allow Excadrill to switch into Special attacks, most notably Latios’ Dragon Gem Draco Meteor. In addition, at full health, Excadrill can survive a Max Special Attack Heatran’s Heat Wave. The Speed EVs are so Excadrill hits 124 Speed, outspeeding Base Speed 70s outside of Sand, as well as hitting 248 Speed in Sand. Furthermore, 124 was used for Trick Room, so with no Sand, I can underspeed Base Speed 80s, such as Max Speed Chandelure. The 132 EVs were placed in Attack in order to hit the magic number where it gains an extra stat point. The Defense EVs are leftover EVs to increase its bulk, as well as make sure that Scizor’s Bullet Punch won’t break its Substitutes.

Really good EV spreads are hard work!

Also thanks to i poop fire for the excellent ferroseed~.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 04:20 on Dec 5, 2013

bio347
Oct 29, 2012

WrightOfWay posted:

There's no reason to run Iron Head, it's really redundant with Play Rough, Fire Fang is a lot better. Brick Break also has unimpressive coverage and could be replaced by something like Substitute to avoid getting burned.
Substitute can be really great on M-Mawile. Intimidate is useful for getting a switch, and after you have a sub up you can just Sucker Punch the world into oblivion. Doesn't work so well in non-6v6 formats though, I guess.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes
I checked one of the ingame TVs; the best show is back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Zoness posted:

Really good EV spreads are hard work!
Or he could have, y'know, put all those DEF and SPDEF EVs into HP, and gotten just as much benefit? :shrug:

• Locked thread