Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I figure this thread is going to have a higher population of people with a surface 2 pro, so I was curious to know if anyone has had any problems connecting to a display port device with theirs?

A little over a month ago I picked up a SP2 (which I absolutely love almost everything about, its the nicest piece of hardware I think I've ever owned) and just a few days ago I picked up a mini display port to regular sized display port cable, so I could hook it up to a dell u2713hm at the native 2560x1440 resolution. However, nothing I could try would make it work, it absolutely won't show anything. Display port to HDMI works flawlessly to the same monitor, but the hdmi max is 1080p. I can't find any solution online, or even a hint of any similar problem so I thought I would see if any other surface owner has had problems with display port to display port connections.

Does anyone know if there's something I need to configure on my SP2? Or could it just be a random faulty cable I bought? This is my first time using a display port hookup so I'm not sure if there's some weird voodoo to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug
It's probably your cable. Display port cables are REALLY touchy, particularly those that don't disable pin 20 (which is most of them), which provides power, isn't needed for most displays, and causes sleep/wake issues. What I did for mine was check all the reviews on Amazon - ended up going with an Alcatel cable if I remember.

Also have you tried the new Intel 4400 drivers? Released a couple weeks ago, on Intel's site. Works fine for the Surface 2 Pro - better performance, you get the full Intel control panel, and they fixed the battery life issues that caused MS to roll it back in the first place when the SP2 was released.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
I received my HP Pavilion 11 X2 and here are my impressions.

Build Quality: In my opinion it feels very solid. Very little, if any, give on the chassis from pressure. The keyboard dock is similar and doesn't feel cheap. The back of the tablet is glossy, so expect fingerprints. The dock has its own internal battery as well.

Here it is closed
http://i.imgur.com/dV0yM7d.jpg

and open
http://i.imgur.com/uHhHxOX.jpg

Hand to keyboard comparison
http://i.imgur.com/Ea7OpZ2.jpg

Tablet separated
http://i.imgur.com/eph2K3U.jpg

From left to right are 1. Alignment post connector 2. AC port 3. Dock Connector 4. Headphone jack 5. MicroSD slot 6. Alignment post connector
http://i.imgur.com/GsHEABP.jpg

Closeup of the keyboard dock.
http://i.imgur.com/7IdVazA.jpg

Right side of dock, with Full size SD slot, HDMI, USB, and AC port.
http://i.imgur.com/HXPZ8Sj.jpg

Left side of dock, with USB and headphone jack.
http://i.imgur.com/CcQQuOZ.jpg

Speed: Very quick and loads applications with little effort. The touchscreen is very responsive.

Screen: Even though the screen is only 1366x768, I think it looks beautiful and can't really see a quality problem. Here's a couple screenshots from my phone camera.

http://i.imgur.com/MIuJJnr.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/dBjoEqU.jpg

Please let me know if there's any specific questions you want me to answer about the device.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Apparently Microsoft was selling the Asus T100 for $300 today--the 64gb model, not the 32gb model they usually sell, which means I paid $60 more to have it two days earlier. :sigh:

Can't really say I regret it, though. Really loving it so far. It can even play Minecraft, Civ V, and TF2 (albeit with a not-very-pretty .cfg file), which are the three games I'd want to have with me at all times anyway. Probably gonna dual boot SteamOS when that drops so I can play any game on it when I'm at home.

Troubadour
Mar 1, 2001
Forum Veteran

Oz posted:

I'm reasonably confident that is the most comprehensive review of the x11 on the Internet right now. So it has two headphone ports? Have you been able to get a sense for the battery life with and without the dock yet? From the Intel ARK information, it seems like the processor in this model should give similar performance to the other Bay Trail processors, but require more power.

OhGodMyFeet
Mar 11, 2009

Oz posted:

Build Quality: In my opinion it feels very solid. Very little, if any, give on the chassis from pressure. The keyboard dock is similar and doesn't feel cheap. The back of the tablet is glossy, so expect fingerprints. The dock has its own internal battery as well.

From left to right are 1. Alignment post connector 2. AC port 3. Dock Connector 4. Headphone jack 5. MicroSD slot 6. Alignment post connector

Speed: Very quick and loads applications with little effort. The touchscreen is very responsive.

Screen: Even though the screen is only 1366x768, I think it looks beautiful and can't really see a quality problem. Here's a couple screenshots from my phone camera.

Please let me know if there's any specific questions you want me to answer about the device.

I'd also like to know about the battery life, and how you find typing on the keyboard (cramped or not, key travel, etc.). Which processor did you get it with? I've noticed there's a few versions about.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

Troubadour posted:

I'm reasonably confident that is the most comprehensive review of the x11 on the Internet right now. So it has two headphone ports? Have you been able to get a sense for the battery life with and without the dock yet? From the Intel ARK information, it seems like the processor in this model should give similar performance to the other Bay Trail processors, but require more power.

The base has a headphone jack because the one on the tablet is inaccessible when docked. Same with the AC power port. I haven't had a chance to do battery testing yet. but I will report back when I have data.

OhGodMyFeet posted:

I'd also like to know about the battery life, and how you find typing on the keyboard (cramped or not, key travel, etc.). Which processor did you get it with? I've noticed there's a few versions about.

The keyboard feels like a standard laptop keyboard to me, no typing issues. The Pavilion 11 X2 only has one CPU option according to the HP website, the Intel Pentium N3510 Bay Trail-M.

The Pavilion 13 X2 comes with an AMD A6, but thats a different model.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003
Another chance to get a 64gb T100 cheap.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/108...ell-windows-8.1

$315 free ship, I believe no taxes. $299 if you have a membership to an odd thing.

OhGodMyFeet
Mar 11, 2009

Oz posted:

The base has a headphone jack because the one on the tablet is inaccessible when docked. Same with the AC power port. I haven't had a chance to do battery testing yet. but I will report back when I have data.

The keyboard feels like a standard laptop keyboard to me, no typing issues. The Pavilion 11 X2 only has one CPU option according to the HP website, the Intel Pentium N3510 Bay Trail-M.

The Pavilion 13 X2 comes with an AMD A6, but thats a different model.

Ah, excellent. You can get it with a Celeron N2910 in some places, which seems like selling yourself short.

http://www8.hp.com/au/en/products/laptops/product-detail.html?oid=5423361#!tab=models

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin
Ok BREAKING NEWS!

I found a flaw with the Pavilion 11 X2. The Intel HD Graphics driver apparently is not compatible with Windows 8.1. So if you upgrade to 8.1, Windows will use the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, which has limited features. There currently isn't an Intel driver update to resolve the issue.

I did a factory restore back to Windows 8 and will wait a month or two to see if new drivers are released.

fishmonger
Jan 26, 2004

This is a title.

Oz posted:

Ok BREAKING NEWS!

I found a flaw with the Pavilion 11 X2. The Intel HD Graphics driver apparently is not compatible with Windows 8.1. So if you upgrade to 8.1, Windows will use the Microsoft Basic Display Driver, which has limited features. There currently isn't an Intel driver update to resolve the issue.

I did a factory restore back to Windows 8 and will wait a month or two to see if new drivers are released.

There is no way this can be true. Lots of people are shipping Windows 8.1 with Baytrail CPUs.

//edit: Did you try any of these? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=HD%20Graphics

fishmonger fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Dec 4, 2013

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I went looking for Bay Trail graphics drivers on Intel's site because there was apparently a big release in the past week (for desktops/laptops, I guess) and couldn't find any. I even went so far as to install their ActiveX plugin (how quaint) and let it scan my machine, and it said my graphics controller isn't supported. Dell's website doesn't have any on the Venue 8 support page, and i don't remember seeing any for the HP Omni either. It doesn't look like the drivers are publicly available yet for some reason.

Oz
Sep 10, 2003

Minion Of Relin

fishmonger posted:

There is no way this can be true. Lots of people are shipping Windows 8.1 with Baytrail CPUs.

//edit: Did you try any of these? https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=HD%20Graphics

I may have been wrong then. Using that link I was able to find this page: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23321

The page says that its an 8.1 compatible HD Graphics driver for the Pentium N3510.

I'll have to try it out and report back.

Oz fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 4, 2013

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Anyone get the Miix 2? Paul Thurrott put up some first impressions/comparisons with the Venue 8 Pro:

http://winsupersite.com/mobile-devices/lenovo-miix-2-first-impressions-and-photos

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

Tom Guycot posted:

I figure this thread is going to have a higher population of people with a surface 2 pro, so I was curious to know if anyone has had any problems connecting to a display port device with theirs?

Hey Tom,

Just to follow up with you on this - the cable you want is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CAGDUA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using it with my SP2 and an Auria monitor now at 2550x1440 (and my SP2 display at 1920x1080 in extended desktop mode).

It works fine. In fact, it works better than fine because I finally discovered what the point of 8.1's new scaling features are: It really only works if your external monitor has a higher resolution than the tablet display, which in the SP2's case means better than 1080p. If your external monitor is also 1080p it doesn't do anything at all - fonts are either too big on one or too small on the other and really annoying in both cases because it's not easy to switch.

But with my 2550x1440 monitor and DP cable it actually works like I hoped it would - my external display has scaling that is perfect for its size, and same goes for the SP2 display. I don't have to gently caress around with changing scaling sizes and logging in and out every time I hook up an external monitor now. Really pleased with the SP2 and 8.1 - my dream of a true all in one hybrid device is about complete.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
I just picked up a Dell Venue 8 Pro yesterday. Besides a horribly ugly gash of dead pixels (I'll exchange it this weekend) I don't really have any complaints. That said, it has only been out of the box for 24 hours. Are there any issues I should be aware of? Any cause to return it and wait for a different product? I moved down from the iPad 10.1" screen and I am oddly not the least bit disappointed with a smaller size tablet.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

If you have the digitizer pen, install the updated firmware pronto. The pen's accuracy is rather poor without the update.

Also if you got the folio cover, take care when taking the tablet out. I managed to mar the rubberized edge when I took mine out once to install the microSD card since the cover blocks the slot.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.
Other than that you're relatively happy? I fly a lot for a living and found the ultrabook a bit too cumbersome and iPad wasn't worth bringing unless I only wanted to Skype or watch movies.

NYFreddy
Feb 16, 2009
I just used the Venue Pro 8 on a flight. I used it at the terminal to kill time browsing the internet. For this, once I had favorites configured, IE was great. It was browsing non-mobile sites like a champ. On the flight I used it to read using the Kindle app, play back 720p episodes using VLC (desktop mode), and read some PDFs using the build in reader. It did all this well enough. I bought the 64 GB for about $310. If I had to do it over I'd go cheap and just grab a 32 GB on sale for about $220-$230 and add in a micro SD and call it a day. Either way, its a lot of bang for your buck. Oh, and the screen is nice, surprising for a Dell tbh.

The tablet has a limitation where you cannot charge it and use the USB port to plug things in (host mode) at the same time. People over at tabletpcreview forums have figured out a few hacks to get this working. They all involve soldering usb cables or usb hubs.

NYFreddy fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 5, 2013

keyframe
Sep 15, 2007

I have seen things
Might be a stupid question buy if I wanted to reinstall windows on a surface pro, what do I do?

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug

keyframe posted:

Might be a stupid question buy if I wanted to reinstall windows on a surface pro, what do I do?

Refresh or reset, Windows 8 made this process incredible easy.

The options are under settings (swipe right), PC Settings, Update and Recovery.

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Ixian posted:

Hey Tom,

Just to follow up with you on this - the cable you want is this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004CAGDUA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm using it with my SP2 and an Auria monitor now at 2550x1440 (and my SP2 display at 1920x1080 in extended desktop mode).

It works fine. In fact, it works better than fine because I finally discovered what the point of 8.1's new scaling features are: It really only works if your external monitor has a higher resolution than the tablet display, which in the SP2's case means better than 1080p. If your external monitor is also 1080p it doesn't do anything at all - fonts are either too big on one or too small on the other and really annoying in both cases because it's not easy to switch.

But with my 2550x1440 monitor and DP cable it actually works like I hoped it would - my external display has scaling that is perfect for its size, and same goes for the SP2 display. I don't have to gently caress around with changing scaling sizes and logging in and out every time I hook up an external monitor now. Really pleased with the SP2 and 8.1 - my dream of a true all in one hybrid device is about complete.

Hey thanks, I really appreciate this. Guess I'll pick up one of those, and I'm glad to hear the scaling actually works well with multiple monitors. You mentioned as well some updated intel drivers for the video, but I've kind of been cautious about installing drivers that aren't from microsoft. Maybe I'm being silly, but I've just been so impressed with the battery life of the SP2, especially after one little wifi update helped it so much, that I'm worried some other driver might cut that down. Did you install the updated intel drivers, and have you noticed any decrease in battery life?

As it is, if I'm not doing something intense, the battery has enough life that I feel like I'm using a pick-up-put-down on the couch, tablet like an ipad or an android, and not some laptop. Which, I guess is the point. I'd really hate to lose any of that, just for a little extra speed or whatever, considering how zippy it is. (but hey, I upgraded from an x61, so anything would probably feel fast to me!)

Edit: Honestly I can't stop myself from gushing about the SP2. Nothing is ever perfect, but its the most perfect device, for me, at its time and place that I've ever had. It wins that honor from the SEGA nomad I had when I was a little kid. If anyone is on the fence thinking about getting one (SP2, not a normad :v:), I say give it a shot.

Tom Guycot fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 5, 2013

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Pillbug
The drivers are direct from Intel and I have had no problem with battery life in the week since I installed them - they are essentially the drivers that were supposed to be released with the SP2 but were pulled at the last minute due to battery issues, which are now fixed. Having the control panel also makes multi-monitor setups easy to deal with.

The biggest change is in performance when plugged in, particularly with Steam games. Borderlands 2 is much smoother.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012
Hey guys, I have an interesting question: What is the best of the Windows RT tablet/convertibles? Anyone have any experience with them?

I want to get one for my mom, because her bird ripped most of the keys out of her old laptop(s). I'm thinking Windows RT because she only uses her laptops for Office on the go and some normal browsing and every time I go over to visit her, I wind up virus-cleaning and malware-removing all her full Windows computers (more than one). She isn't a Windows power user by any stretch of the imagination, and the limitations on RT seem fine for what she does. I would like it to have at least an SD and USB port for thumb drives if RT supports external disk drives; she would never use the HDMI out if I got one with it. I just want it to be a reasonably quick tablet for her to browse and work on.

I was thinking of the Microsoft Surface (2?), but I'm seeing lots of good reviews for the Dell XPS and Venue tablets and my local Best Buy somehow has neither on display. Anyone have any experience?

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

I didn't really know anyone else was still making RT tablets but microsoft. Either way, if you want an RT system, I have a hard time believing any others would be better than the surface 2, the hardware is pretty impeccable.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Eulogistics posted:

Hey guys, I have an interesting question: What is the best of the Windows RT tablet/convertibles? Anyone have any experience with them?

I want to get one for my mom, because her bird ripped most of the keys out of her old laptop(s). I'm thinking Windows RT because she only uses her laptops for Office on the go and some normal browsing and every time I go over to visit her, I wind up virus-cleaning and malware-removing all her full Windows computers (more than one). She isn't a Windows power user by any stretch of the imagination, and the limitations on RT seem fine for what she does. I would like it to have at least an SD and USB port for thumb drives if RT supports external disk drives; she would never use the HDMI out if I got one with it. I just want it to be a reasonably quick tablet for her to browse and work on.

I was thinking of the Microsoft Surface (2?), but I'm seeing lots of good reviews for the Dell XPS and Venue tablets and my local Best Buy somehow has neither on display. Anyone have any experience?

I believe your choices for second generation RT devices are pretty much the Surface 2 and Nokia Lumia 2520. There may be some first gen devices that you can get for cheap, but they really don't meet your criteria of "reasonably quick".

RT does support external drives. Both the Surface and Lumina have USB ports and micro-SD slots.

The Surface type cover is quite a bit nicer than whatever Nokia calls their keyboard cover thing, and unless you need LTE I would probably otherwise recommend the Surface.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Eulogistics posted:

If she's using Office alot, I'd think a Yoga RT would be your best bet. Lenovo still sells new ones for $400 or you could probably find a used one for $260-320

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/yoga/yoga-11/

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)

Call Me Charlie posted:

If she's using Office alot, I'd think a Yoga RT would be your best bet. Lenovo still sells new ones for $400 or you could probably find a used one for $260-320

http://shop.lenovo.com/us/en/laptops/ideapad/yoga/yoga-11/

Geez, i dunno, i've heard hints that MS might be discontinuing RT (there's no point now that Intel has very good low cost/low power processors that compete with ARM), i'd get something like the Venue 11 pro, one of those HP's, or just wait.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Mister Fister posted:

Geez, i dunno, i've heard hints that MS might be discontinuing RT (there's no point now that Intel has very good low cost/low power processors that compete with ARM), i'd get something like the Venue 11 pro, one of those HP's, or just wait.

He specifically asked for RT devices. I wouldn't recommend one otherwise.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Mister Fister posted:

Call Me Charlie posted:

He specifically asked for RT devices. I wouldn't recommend one otherwise.

Yeah. The wiki article (I only use the finest industry sources) shows that RT is probably gonna get shitcanned because the rollout went so abysmally and just about every hardware vendor has said they're not carrying it anymore, but the standard 10-year life cycle should still apply for support from MS. I'll have to do some thinking about this; I might just go with a full Windows tablet and lock it down so she (and everyone else besides me) has normal user privileges to save me the headaches. I appreciate the information, folks.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

I looked it up and apparently MS will support the original Surface through April 2017, so you can probably count on security patches for Win RT at least that long on any device. I have no idea if (more likely when) they'll stop releasing OS upgrades or break compatibility for metro apps in the app store.

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Eulogistics posted:

I'm decently happy with the T100. RT sounds like it might work for you, but don't forget that Windows has gotten really good in security. If you create a lower permission account and leave UAC on then you really shouldn't get any virus/malware stuff.

fishmonger
Jan 26, 2004

This is a title.
Posting on a Dell Venue 8 Pro. I am really impressed with this tablet.
I have been using Win8 at work for quite some time though, so the transition was easy. Multitasking on this thing rocks compared to the alternatives.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

Anyone want to get up early on Monday for a $100 Dell Venue 8 Pro?

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/5/5179738/good-deal-dell-venue-8-pro-for-99-at-microsoft-stores

Also, I have a dumb question. Is there such a thing as an iOS emulator, to the extent that you could run it on a Windows 8 tablet and have essentially an iPad built in? My bet is that Apple has squashed any attempt, or that you couldn't authenticate with the AppStore to run any apps anyway, but it would be cool if that existed.

Edward IV
Jan 15, 2006

I just lost the tip of the stylus for my Venue 8 Pro making there stylus effectively useless. It's so small and I remembered the pen snagging on my shirt a few times today at work means it is very unlikely that I'll recover it. There aren't any replacement tips available yet and a replacement pen is $30. :negative: There are apparently plans for Dell to sell a pack of replacement tips which will hopefully cheaper than the stylus. I don't use the pen very much so I can wait for the replacement pack.

So anyone who has the stylus should be aware that the tip can come out and should take that in mind when handling the stylus.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

Edward IV posted:

I just lost the tip of the stylus for my Venue 8 Pro making there stylus effectively useless. It's so small and I remembered the pen snagging on my shirt a few times today at work means it is very unlikely that I'll recover it. There aren't any replacement tips available yet and a replacement pen is $30. :negative: There are apparently plans for Dell to sell a pack of replacement tips which will hopefully cheaper than the stylus. I don't use the pen very much so I can wait for the replacement pack.

So anyone who has the stylus should be aware that the tip can come out and should take that in mind when handling the stylus.

No spares came with it? I know it's not a Wacom pen, but every device I've had with an active digitizer included replacement pen nibs.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

LifeSizePotato posted:

http://www.theverge.com/2013/12/5/5179738/good-deal-dell-venue-8-pro-for-99-at-microsoft-stores

Also, I have a dumb question. Is there such a thing as an iOS emulator, to the extent that you could run it on a Windows 8 tablet and have essentially an iPad built in? My bet is that Apple has squashed any attempt, or that you couldn't authenticate with the AppStore to run any apps anyway, but it would be cool if that existed.

There's an Android emulator called Bluestacks but I heard it has lag issues on the Windows 8.1 tablets with Bay Trail.

nolen
Apr 4, 2004

butts.

Edward IV posted:

How long have you had the stylus? Reports are coming in that Dell is replacing most if not all of the current batch of styluses (stylii?) and replacing them with properly-working styluses.

This is all related to the debacle where the stylus was just a complete piece of poo poo to begin with, even after the firmware update.

Maybe call up Dell and ask for an exchange? The nib shouldn't fall out that easily.

MobMentality
Aug 22, 2007

I'm Mike Doyle.

LifeSizePotato posted:

Not particularly happy about this considering I bought mine on Tuesday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

MobMentality posted:

Not particularly happy about this considering I bought mine on Tuesday.

You shouldn't feel too bad about it. Each store is only getting 20 units at that price.

• Locked thread