Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dagon
Apr 16, 2003

Captain Walker posted:

Adding onto the "4e grog moving systems" pile, is the adventure in the book any good, or is there a better 1st level adventure? Something like Slaying Stone for 4e would be nice.

I just ran my first game, using the 3.5 Forgotten Forge starter adventure and some back of the napkin conversions. It seems really easy to convert 3.5 and 4e stuff both, so find one of those you like?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Captain Walker posted:

Adding onto the "4e grog moving systems" pile, is the adventure in the book any good, or is there a better 1st level adventure? Something like Slaying Stone for 4e would be nice.

'tis a fine adventure. Combats both simple and relatively challenging, opportunities to use backgrounds and icons, loose enough so you can wedge in an interesting one unique thing somewhere. I would suggest deciding on the theme of your campaign and hinting at it somewhere in there, so if you want it to be glorious heroism add bunches of evil totems everywhere, or if you want it to be moral ambiguity with a chance for the heroes to unite rival forces, humanize the antagonists. Have fun with it!

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Roach Warehouse posted:

This allowed us to take some fun variations on the usual system, for example my ultra-patriotic Forgeborn fighter has a 2-point positive with his own nation, and a blanket 1-point negative with every other nation (for gameplay purposes this functions just like a regular negative relationship, but gives the DM more flexibility)
I haven't experienced enough of the Icon mechanic, but that sounds like it's effectively a 3+ with his home nation.

Dec 26, 2012

Jackard posted:

I haven't experienced enough of the Icon mechanic, but that sounds like it's effectively a 3+ with his home nation.

Kind of. It's a question of whether it's colored as help from X vs. help against Y. I assume there's a fair bit of overlap but it's not necessarily guaranteed.

Roach Warehouse
Nov 1, 2010

Yeah, while mechanically it would run in a similar fashion, I think the 1-point negative communicates a lot more about the character than a 3rd point in the positive would.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Does pre-ordering the bestiary get you billed right away, or are you charged when it ships?

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Captain Walker posted:

The adventure in the book is very loose and I found it not particularly helpful for getting into the game. I tried running it, but it's sparse in its development: you are given the core essential parts of a single storyline, but it would've been nice to have some more information on the settlements, how the other icons might be played into things, and particularly how the combats should be run beyond "some goblins ambush you". As someone in the same transitioning from 4E boat I would've liked some more explicit detail on how to set up the combats particularly, as I struggled to both help people learn the new system and to generate things on the fly with any competency.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013

moths posted:

Does pre-ordering the bestiary get you billed right away, or are you charged when it ships?
Right away and you get the PDF immediately.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013

Majuju posted:

The adventure in the book is very loose and I found it not particularly helpful for getting into the game. I tried running it, but it's sparse in its development: you are given the core essential parts of a single storyline, but it would've been nice to have some more information on the settlements, how the other icons might be played into things, and particularly how the combats should be run beyond "some goblins ambush you". As someone in the same transitioning from 4E boat I would've liked some more explicit detail on how to set up the combats particularly, as I struggled to both help people learn the new system and to generate things on the fly with any competency.
I ran the adventure for a group totally new to RPG's without a hitch. They learned the game quickly and had a lot of fun, so much so they wanted to keep playing regularly. It was also my first time playing the game. What problem did you have with the combats?

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Captain Walker posted:

I ran the adventure as my first 13th Age game. I think its good enough as its purpose: introduce people to the mechanics. That said, I refluffed a lot of it because its a bit bland on that front. Not to mention that beating up a dragon -- admittedly a weak, severely wounded one -- makes the players feel like "heroes," if you would.

Kenderama posted:

I know quite a few of the G+ GM's run games online. Here's one such session and he has *tons* of them up there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1eC0jqRUbY

Keen viewers might be able to find me in one of those videos. Look for the man who clearly just got off a 10 hour shift at work.

moths posted:

You get billed immediately, but also get an in-dev pdf immediately. The monsters are good to run in their current state so you can add them into your game without waiting for the official release. Some are pretty cool.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

HomegrownHydra posted:

I ran the adventure for a group totally new to RPG's without a hitch. They learned the game quickly and had a lot of fun, so much so they wanted to keep playing regularly. It was also my first time playing the game. What problem did you have with the combats?

I feel like I am not selling the system to my group who were only really starting to learn the ins and outs of 4E (after a fair few sessions). They are usually confused on how things work in combat, how their characters work, and the game mechanics in general, so it would've been nice to have the combats a bit more rigidly defined in terms of formatting of the book. The sample adventure is written/laid out in a rather haphazard manner, and has the (I feel) climactic encounter laid out second, rather than at the end. It was hard to parse the sample combat specifics while also having to flip people through books and explain things and keep them interested, but I guess this might be my fault.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Just finished a game of 13th Age using RedPlasticCup's western icons, the monk player (RyvenCedrylle) just switched his class to the Stalwart and I've gotta say we were both thoroughly impressed with the class. It held its own mechanically in a battle against a group of very diverse bank robbers. It made a great mix of fighter/barbarian/monk, fitting the over the top "Choke slam a dragon" niche that the Brawler Fighter did in 4e. It's aimed at hitting a Hercules and Achilles level of legendary hero-dom and it may just be the western setting, but I feel it hits more of a Paul Bunyan/Pecos Bill/John Henry type of legendary. "I can lasso a tornado and jump a canyon because gently caress you," type of legendary. Doing things that don't make a lot of sense and really aren't explained either, not even HOW it's possible to do them. It was pretty sweet and made a big improvement from the level of combat/dramatic pacing the Monk offered.

Earthorn
Jul 18, 2012

-Fish- posted:

Just finished a game of 13th Age using RedPlasticCup's western icons, the monk player (RyvenCedrylle) just switched his class to the Stalwart and I've gotta say we were both thoroughly impressed with the class. It held its own mechanically in a battle against a group of very diverse bank robbers. It made a great mix of fighter/barbarian/monk, fitting the over the top "Choke slam a dragon" niche that the Brawler Fighter did in 4e. It's aimed at hitting a Hercules and Achilles level of legendary hero-dom and it may just be the western setting, but I feel it hits more of a Paul Bunyan/Pecos Bill/John Henry type of legendary. "I can lasso a tornado and jump a canyon because gently caress you," type of legendary. Doing things that don't make a lot of sense and really aren't explained either, not even HOW it's possible to do them. It was pretty sweet and made a big improvement from the level of combat/dramatic pacing the Monk offered.

Glad the Stalwart was a hit with your group!

I may revise the class write-up to replace the "playstyle" section with the bolded.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Welp, running my first game of 13th age in about two hours. Pretty sure one guy hasn't even bothered to read the book besides (hopefully) making a character and another can't decide on her Gnoll Barbarian's OUT. Plus I'm still recovering from a cold and my mind isn't running 100%

Gonna be running a conversion of an old D&D module, as I mentioned a few weeks back. Needless to say, I'm really nervous. :ohdear:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Pretty sure one guy hasn't even bothered to read the book besides (hopefully) making a character and another can't decide on her Gnoll Barbarian's OUT.
Not having an OUT right out the gate is totally fine and explicitly mentioned as being an okay thing to do. Sometimes you just don't get a good idea until you're a bit into the game. If the other guy has a finished character and you know the system that should work out too, although if he plays something heavy on the use of general rules (Fighter, with all the intercepting, for example) you might have to watch out for opportunities to use them on his behalf.

You're gonna be did fine I'm sure.

SageNytell
Sep 28, 2008

<REDACT> THIS!
Is the 13th Age Vault working for anyone else? I was reading some articles there earlier and now it won't open. :(

Edit:
http://www.13thage.org/doku.php appears to maybe have been deleted.

SageNytell fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Dec 9, 2013

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Down for me too.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy
Would I be able to reduce the number of icons available in a campaign without much issue? From my read of the rules, it seems like it'd be okay, but I'm still not sure how the icon system works out in actual play.

Down With People
Oct 31, 2012

The child delights in violence.
You definitely could. The only icons that matter are the ones your PCs have relationship points with.

HomegrownHydra
Feb 25, 2013
Do whatever is appropriate for your campaign. There is nothing magical about the number 13.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

SageNytell posted:

Is the 13th Age Vault working for anyone else? I was reading some articles there earlier and now it won't open. :(

Edit:

Welp, I probably should have backed up my homebrew on my own computer for this contingency. Oh well.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot
Does anyone have a backup of the Kensei? I was making a character with it and stopped halfway through. I can't find anything about it now that 13thage.org is down.

djw175 fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 10, 2013

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

SageNytell posted:

Edit:

Checking this.

Edit: Site is back. We got hacked, so I think everything is back online from restore.

Kenderama fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 10, 2013

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

djw175 posted:

Does anyone have a backup of the Kensei? I was making a character with it and stopped halfway through. I can't find anything about it now that 13thage.org is down.

Someone ported the Kensei paragon path from 4e?

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

-Fish- posted:

Someone ported the Kensei paragon path from 4e?

I swear there was, but now looking at the thing, it's not there. I may have just been delirious when I was making the character. Happens from time to time.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God
Yeah was going to ask if there had been a Kensei because I didn't remember seeing one. But that sounds like an interesting class. Any idea what you were looking at?

Man I want to try so many classes, including the Druid on 13thage.org.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Ryuujin posted:

Yeah was going to ask if there had been a Kensei because I didn't remember seeing one. But that sounds like an interesting class. Any idea what you were looking at?

Man I want to try so many classes, including the Druid on 13thage.org.

I was actually looking at the Vanguard. Skill being more important than strength and all that.

Anyway, all this Kensei talk made me want to actually make a class. A couple things. First is there a good place to discuss this stuff without stuffing this thread? Second, does anyone have see problems with making it a feature of the class that they have one weapon that "evolves" over time to different magic weapons. It'd be a bit weird focusing on a single weapon and then changing it when a magical one comes by.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend
So, I am joining WolfSamurai's online 13th Age game ... and apparently I surprised him by making a High Elf Wizard. He's never had someone run a Wizard before, and now I am scared I'm going to screw it all up.

There's a Fighter and Paladin in the mix, so I decided to go a non-combat route.

I went with Cantrip Mastery, High Arcana (COUNTERSPELL!) and Wizard's Familiar.

Here's the Backstory, as I'm pretty excited about this character and need to share:

Samwyn has been a Wizard for quite a while, and has been very fond of learning not only how to use magic, but how it actually works in context of spell-casting. Almost in a scientist sort of way. During the course of his research, he tried to create a full on spell for Disguise Self, one of his more favorite of his cantrips. The spell did not turn out as he planned, and actually ended up removing the traces of his own face and natural appearances.

It's not that he has lost all distinguishing appearances, but more like they continually blend and mix. He has no 'true' face, just a jumbled, continually changing set of facial appearances. Eyes, nose, mouth, they're all in the right spot ... but they change. Blue eyes will switch to grey, to brown ... his nose will alter slightly, being thin to bulbous and back to thin.

If you've ever seen A Scanner Darkly, think of the scramble suits.

In order to keep it a secret, and to not continually confuse people, he wears a silver gilded mask. Nothing is inherently magical about it, but it lets people focus on his words instead of his appearance.

Before the accident he had a small role in Elven politics, having served on a council of the Elf Queen (notably in magical research). This changed, as the accident seemed to be the only thing elves would discuss around him, making research all but impossible at his current standing. So, he quietly resigned and travelled to Axis to become a Wage Mage (merc) for the Empire! Essentially this was so that he could gain access to what the Empire wizard's knowledge banks and see if there is a way to cure this 'affliction.'

His spider familiar is a 'gift' from the Prince of Shadows, who is very intrigued about what he did with his face ... as it's the perfect illusion for those who tend to want their identity to remain anonymous. This is something that Samwyn knows well about, as it makes it easier for him to do certain tasks without being recognized... but he tends to lean towards research than clandestine operations.

Kenderama
Mar 12, 2003

Herding Nerds from
2007-2012

djw175 posted:

I was actually looking at the Vanguard. Skill being more important than strength and all that.

Anyway, all this Kensei talk made me want to actually make a class. A couple things. First is there a good place to discuss this stuff without stuffing this thread? Second, does anyone have see problems with making it a feature of the class that they have one weapon that "evolves" over time to different magic weapons. It'd be a bit weird focusing on a single weapon and then changing it when a magical one comes by.

I've always loved the idea of a weapon that grows with you - and a lot of the 13th Age magic items do that as you go up in tier.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
Okay so I got into a fight playing a Monk today.

It's only one fight, so I don't want to email anything yet, but I've basically got two major problems.

1; Original Venom Form feels completely hosed. It's the only form that damages you for missing, and in return for that it doesn't offer any significant bonuses, other then it's Closing Attack, which can be kind of crazy early. When you get higher levels, though, the Flow is going to be better. I really don't think it's very good, unless you can guarentee you're going to hit, and even then I'd only use it for the Finishing. Which did let me play Fist of the North Star 'You are already Dead', but I could never see myself using, say, it's Opening over the other two I have, which are Three Cunning Trickster (which is just a basic 'punch and if miss half damage' thing, but at least it doesn't backfire on me) and Dutiful Guardian (See above but 'pop free an ally if you hit' rider)

which leads me into

2; None of the Forms feel balanced against each other per tier, and the new Talents feel kind of lame too. Out of Three, I took Flurry (To have a Secret, kind of), and Child of Water. After that I had a lot of trouble picking a third because I wasn't sure which one I wanted, not because they were all good, but because I wasn't sure which one would even come up. I eventually went with Strength of Earth, but looking back at it I think Spinning Willow is the one I should have taken.

BUT at the same time, I like that they've removed the idea of Forms and Talents coming from the same pool.

I dunno. Is this too much to talk about? I can remove it, but I'm not really sure where to say stuff like this and actually get responses.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Anybody wanna do a Christmas Eve one-shot? Doing all my family stuff earlier in the day and I want to share the Christmas Joy (tm) with you guys.

ArkInBlack
Mar 22, 2013
I'd be down but I'm working half a shift Christmas Eve, what time did you in mind?

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

-Fish- posted:

Anybody wanna do a Christmas Eve one-shot? Doing all my family stuff earlier in the day and I want to share the Christmas Joy (tm) with you guys.

I would love to, but I'll probably be visiting family, if you're planning on running it on the Christmas Eve proper. But if any extraordinary circumstances come up, count me in.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Starting around 8sih, Eastern Standard Time?

Edit: PM me or shoot me an email, shiniba at gmail dot com, if you wanna join. I'll add the first 4 people who want in to the Hangout and then share out the pregens.

Edit2: Still room for two more people. Current attendants are Thedandmom, ArkInBlack, and djw175.

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Dec 13, 2013

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
Does the math still work if you never roll for damage, as suggested on page 160? Could the game work with all dice rolls averaged as D/2 or (D/2)+1, where D is the number of sides on the die

E: With the exception of Sneak Attack, which you can roll for as normal if desired, because rogues are the best.

Spincut
Jan 14, 2008

Oh! OSHA gonna make you serve time!
'Cause you an occupational hazard tonight.

-Fish- posted:

Edit: PM me or shoot me an email, shiniba at gmail dot com, if you wanna join. I'll add the first 4 people who want in to the Hangout and then share out the pregens.

Edit2: Still room for two more people. Current attendants are Thedandmom, ArkInBlack, and djw175.

I'll be with family then, so I doubt I could make it, but I'd love to see a write-up about it afterwards.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

-Fish- posted:

8 pm EST is 5:00 PST, right? I might be down.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

Room for one more in the 13th Day of Christmas game.

Currently attending are Thedandmom, ArkInBlack, djw175, and Captain Walker.

Ardulac
May 31, 2005

"There is a difference between fear and caution."

Captain Walker posted:

Does the math still work if you never roll for damage, as suggested on page 160? Could the game work with all dice rolls averaged as D/2 or (D/2)+1, where D is the number of sides on the die

E: With the exception of Sneak Attack, which you can roll for as normal if desired, because rogues are the best.

Are you asking whether that will give an accurate average or whether it will be close enough that it won't make a big difference?

No, it won't be strictly accurate. Your solution is below or above the average by .5 points per die. That amounts to a 5-10% loss or gain at first level (assuming 16 in your attack stat and ranging from a d12 at the low end to a d4 at the high end) and a 6.25-12.5% loss or gain at 10th level (assuming and 18 in your attack stat and a magic weapon and again ranging from d12 at the low end to a d4 at the high end). I imagine that's typically going to pan out to each enemy dying roughly 1 or 2 player actions sooner or later.

If you're looking for something simple to minimize (or often eliminate) dice rolling, for every 2 dice you remove from the damage you can add the max die roll + 1. Even players who are bad at math can generally do that one pretty quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Just Burgs
Jan 15, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

-Fish- posted:

Room for one more in the 13th Day of Christmas game.

Currently attending are Thedandmom, ArkInBlack, djw175, and Captain Walker.

So, is that tonight or actually on Christmas? If it's tonight, count me in.

• Locked thread