Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inevitablelongshot
Mar 26, 2010

Godspeed good sir goon. I picked this game up in the sales and love it but I can see how a few simple mods could improve the hell out of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

This is where I begin to speculate what being a
man of my word costs me

Garhblarg finally get to the Breakdown 6 and I still have red dots on my minimap. My immersion! :argh:

Archonex posted:

If there's any other modifications people would like to see between now and then, just post here. Small stuff like altering cooldown times, changing prices on items, etc, etc, doesn't take much time at all once I find the variable in the code. Could be a good opportunity to take some of the clunkier stuff out of the game.

You're amazing.

Make the influence cost of taking items out of storage the same as putting them in.

Double the quantity of items that can be carried in a single inventory slot, quadruple ammo.

Increase the number of shots a silencer can fire.

Massively increase the amount of ammo you get from breaking open crates. Measure them in the hundreds so I can live my LMG hero dreams.

e: make the later levels of cardio & wits less obscenely long.

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
Remove Lilly. Replace her corpse with a slot useful for another survivor.

Bumper Stickup
Jan 7, 2012

Mmm... Offshore Toast!

Grimey Drawer

Gaj posted:

Remove Lilly. Replace her corpse with a slot useful for another survivor.

Make her playable so I can go introduce her to fatties.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Archonex posted:

If there's any other modifications people would like to see between now and then, just post here. Small stuff like altering cooldown times, changing prices on items, etc, etc, doesn't take much time at all once I find the variable in the code. Could be a good opportunity to take some of the clunkier stuff out of the game.

Seconding the request for a 'slightly more ammo' mode. If I just carried back five gigantic cases of ammunition from a military camp, I should really have more than 30 rounds of 5.56mm ammo in the stockpile.

Also, if you could find the code that deletes all the snacks from your stockpile every day and disable or remove it, that'd be great. I stashed 70 of them, went to bed, then went to play the next afternoon and I had exactly three. They even vanished from my characters' inventories. It's really annoying.

Slightly faster cooldown for setting up outposts would be nice, so I don't have to wait five minutes between setting up each of the outposts in my initial defense perimeter.

Grey Fox V2
Nov 14, 2008

Augmented Balls of Titanium!

Archonex posted:

Even better news! I now have my next project on what to look at fixing in the code. :science:

If you can talk to them to send them home, i'll look at commenting out the code that handles dismissing them on the start of a mission. Hopefully it won't create too many bugs. Only thing I can think of that'd be an issue is when you already have four survivors following you. Not sure if five would fit into a truck, or even if it'll let you have that many/take them into missions.
:stare: I can recruit up to 5 people?

girth brooks part 2
Sep 6, 2011

Bush did 911
Fun Shoe

Grey Fox V2 posted:

:stare: I can recruit up to 5 people?

I discovered if they become sick before you leave they won't come. I'm not sure if tired or hurt causes this as well.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

#vmp #opsec #kolmiloikka #happoo

Archonex posted:

I'm not sure how to go about fixing annoying bugs like how missing persons stay forever flagged as "ran away". Could be a simple thing to fix in the mission script. Something to keep an eye out for anyway. Fixing that would mean you're a really swell chap.

Danith
May 20, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Eagerly awaiting the mod to call scavengers every 5 seconds

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

Archonex posted:

I'd like to see shotgun ammo reduced in weight. Each shell is like 0.35 pounds, so if you want to carry just 20 it's 7lbs. It doesn't help when the shotgun itself is 7-8lbs and you need to be in melee range to hit something with it.

Could something be done about balancing the importance of resources? Building Materials are just leaps and bounds more important than the others, and I'd like to see them brought down a peg.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Archonex posted:

I wonder if there's a way to set it so that when you get in the RV, it takes you back to the same level, not the next one. So I could tinker around at a low difficulty level forever rather than ramping up the difficulty until I die.

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

I wonder if there's a way to set it so that when you get in the RV, it takes you back to the same level, not the next one. So I could tinker around at a low difficulty level forever rather than ramping up the difficulty until I die.

Speaking of this, is there a good description anywhere of how the difficulty changes between Breakdown tiers? I'm only on 2 so far as I just started playing. So far only difference between 1 and 2 I noticed was that there's a bit more freaks on the streets.

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Fewd posted:

Speaking of this, is there a good description anywhere of how the difficulty changes between Breakdown tiers? I'm only on 2 so far as I just started playing. So far only difference between 1 and 2 I noticed was that there's a bit more freaks on the streets.
I moved up from 2 to 3 last night and can say it was a much bigger jump than from 1 to 2. 2 barely seemed any more difficult than the main game while 3 has thus far seemed much harder. Resources seem to be harder to find (getting a whole lot more "found nothings"), zombies are way more common and it's not at all rare to see 8-10 wandering around streets where there'd usually only be 2-3. Bloated and armored zombies also seem to be far more common. It seems like feral and juggernaut spawns are maybe a little bit higher but it's still pretty rare to encounter them. I'm moving up to 4 tomorrow after work :getin:

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Man, it's really irritating to lose a guy helping some besieged neighbors because the AI wouldn't have the other survivors follow me outside to kill the Juggernaut, or the Juggernaut being able to come inside. :kimchi:

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

Fewd posted:

Level 2 is barely different from Level 1, but the changes get more drastic the higher you go. Higher levels have significantly fewer amounts of resources and items in buildings, much larger numbers of zombies, more freaks, more and bigger hordes, fewer cars, and more damaging zombie attacks. You have to change your playstyle a lot to compensate - sneaking is more useful, as is going out in groups, which at lower levels is rarely necessary. You also have to start worrying about group size, because with so few resources on the map daily consumption starts to be a serious issue and you might not be able to feed twenty-odd people.

e: Incidentally, radioing in for artillery is a great solution to those 'Oh poo poo It's A Juggernaut!' moments. If you've got nothing that can bring him down easily, are low on health, and can't get away, call for fire and drop a barrage of howitzer shells on that bastard's head. :black101:

Mister Bates fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Dec 5, 2013

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

Feeble posted:

I moved up from 2 to 3 last night and can say it was a much bigger jump than from 1 to 2. 2 barely seemed any more difficult than the main game while 3 has thus far seemed much harder. Resources seem to be harder to find (getting a whole lot more "found nothings"), zombies are way more common and it's not at all rare to see 8-10 wandering around streets where there'd usually only be 2-3. Bloated and armored zombies also seem to be far more common. It seems like feral and juggernaut spawns are maybe a little bit higher but it's still pretty rare to encounter them. I'm moving up to 4 tomorrow after work :getin:

On to the next subject, someone mod away all the "special" zombies :v:

They're stupid and have no place in my proper old school zombie apocalypse. I just want masses of normal good old shambly ones.

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Fewd posted:

On Breakdown 6 and so far I've noticed that army zombies (fast, tougher than normal) are pretty common, attacks do more damage, resources are rarer, heaps more zombies are spawning and freaks are getting very close together. Another breakdown or two and they'll probably be cohabiting.

Zombie distribution is weird though. Sometimes I'll go through an area and it is flooded with zombies, but when I come back later it's almost deserted.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

Archonex posted:

So good news. Just tried my method of modding the game and it works. I altered the time to recharge the call scavengers ability so that it only takes 5 seconds. This means that you can always call community members to scavenge a location/pick up goods so long as they're not all busy with another task. I'll upload the mod to dropbox once I get a free moment.
This is good, right? I mean it doesn't suck.

Seconding requests to silence Lilly and remove Juggernauts if possible. It's cool of you to muck about with this stuff.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
I'd rather like a mod where the survivors are a bit more active with the defense of their home if a horde approaches.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Fewd posted:

I found the XML file that determines the maximum limits on different things in the different levels of Breakdown. 10 looked horrifying from what I remember of it. To give an idea, it had a 100% chance of all zombies being runners, there was apparently a maximum of 15 survivors in the world, and basically everything hates you forever.

If I can remember what file it's in i'll post the code here.

Woebin posted:

This is good, right? I mean it doesn't suck.

Seconding requests to silence Lilly and remove Juggernauts if possible. It's cool of you to muck about with this stuff.

You could probably do this by removing the references in whatever handles initiating Lilly's sound. I may do that eventually. Removing Juggernauts is definitely doable too. How that'd interface with Breakdown 10 at this point is beyond me though. Unless it was a cheat mod the number of max hordes, zombies, and infestations would probably have to be upped to compensate for the loss of difficulty, since I think I recall a snippet that suggested they replaced a lot of freaks.

In other news, I just finished up a huge loving guide on how to mod the game, including a walkthrough of how I did the no cooldown on scavengers mod and the mod itself. The rar i'm setting up also includes all of the software I found that let me do it. I tried to make it as detailed and extensive as possible so that even a newbie to modding could easily muck around in the game's code to do stuff. So give it a try and tell me how bad my manual writing skills are. :v:

I'll be uploading the rar with the no cooldown on scavengers mod in it in a few moments. Just trying to get it up on dropbox. Then I can work on other mods that people suggested. I'll probably look at the ammo boosting thing and adjusting the stuff with simple variables that people suggested next, since that's easier than trying to flowchart how the gently caress their AI logic works between multiple XML code files. It seems like an unreadable mess at first glance. :psyduck:

Edit: Here it is. This link also includes the mod that removes the cooldown on calling a NPC scavenger when playing Breakdown. It's in the libs folder. Just copy the entire libs folder to the "game" (Without the "", obviously.) folder in your State of Decay installation.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/l8k8jm6ko8xdzly/SOD%20Modding%20Packager.rar

Let me know if I hosed something up or forgot to add some sort of important detail. It's late here so I probably did. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Dec 5, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Hey thanks dude, just downloaded your stuff and will take a look at it.
Going to try and mod some stuff maybe

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Archonex posted:

loving amazing stuff

I am in love with you. First trap I fell straight into was trying to replicate the Breakdown file structure by placing my mod in game\sandbox\games\libs etc, but that's because I didn't read the instructions too closely.

But yeah as a test run just upped the Alamo's storages to 250 of each type and it worked. And it took like 20 seconds to do and wasn't anywhere near as painful or flawed as hexediting. Thank you!

e: According to the game files the blips should be hidden on level 6. Why can I see blips??? :argh:

Also just had the greatest 50 seconds of SOD by starting a new game on level 6 with a LMG carrying survivor and picking a fight. So. Many. Zombies.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Dec 5, 2013

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Le0 posted:

Hey thanks dude, just downloaded your stuff and will take a look at it.
Going to try and mod some stuff maybe.

Let me know how it works out. Curious to see if I missed anything important in my guide and the modding tools.

Also, I found what appears to be the level settings for Breakdown again. Here's a comparison between level 1 and level 11 (It says it's 10, but really the count starts at 0 so :v:).

code:
<SandboxGroup Scenario="0">
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="70" OutputId="Sandbox.MaxCars" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="1" OutputId="Sandbox.ScoreMultiplier" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="80" OutputId="Sandbox.Survivors.Cap" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="40" OutputId="Sandbox.Survivors.Rare" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="16" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentFast" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="77" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentSlow" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="7" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentDormant" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="5" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentArmyZombie" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="1" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentScreamer" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="1" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentBloater" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="1" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentJuggernaut" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="1" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentFeral" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="1" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.DensityMultiplier" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="8" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.MaxHordes" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="6" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.MaxInfestations" />
And the last level listed.
code:
  <SandboxGroup Scenario="10">
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="15" OutputId="Sandbox.MaxCars" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="11" OutputId="Sandbox.ScoreMultiplier" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="20" OutputId="Sandbox.Survivors.Cap" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="15" OutputId="Sandbox.Survivors.Rare" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="100" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentFast" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="0" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentSlow" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="7" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentDormant" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="20" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentArmyZombie" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="5" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentScreamer" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="5" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentBloater" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="8" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentJuggernaut" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="8" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.PercentFeral" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="2" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.DensityMultiplier" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="24" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.MaxHordes" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="24" OutputId="Sandbox.Zombie.MaxInfestations" />
    <RTSValue OutputAmount="1" OutputId="Game.UI.HideZombieBlips" />
  </SandboxGroup>
If you can't tell the difference, the difference between the two is huge. Barely any cars, barely any survivors, every zombie is a runner, 3x the number of hordes and infestations can be active compared to level 1, lots of freaks, no zombie blips on the map, etc, etc. Obviously all of that is modifiable too.

Le0 posted:

Did you find anything related to the vehicle physics? Cause I think this area could use some work if it is not part of the core game engine.
Edit: I think I saw something physics related. Keep in mind that from what I can tell so far, using the method I posted appears to give you literally all of the game decompiled to mod as you want. Heck, you can even see remnants of the code from Crysis, which I assume came with the CryEngine SDK. That includes what appears to be some rudimentary server and multiplayer stuff from that game.

So physics is definitely going to be in there somewhere. I just would need to find the file containing it again. It's a bit late to be doing that here tonight, though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 09:58 on Dec 5, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Did you find anything related to the vehicle physics? Cause I think this area could use some work if it is not part of the core game engine.

EDIT: Thanks for the info, don't worry about it I'll give it a look.

Le0 fucked around with this message at 10:04 on Dec 5, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Ahaha I am a pig in poo poo. You can also edit the weight of shells. I tested it by making .22 rounds weight 1 pound each (not pictured). :v:

Seriously thank you so much Archonex!

Fewd
Mar 22, 2007

So wait what gently caress

Breakdown 10 has 46% of spawned zombies different kind of freaks?

Welp :suicide:

e: No wait, that's the amount of course. So possibly 46 freaks spawned at the same time?

Okay well :suicide: anyway

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So one more post before I call it a night. Should I post this stuff to the Undead Lab forums when they come back up? I know there's also a fairly large steam modding group that'd probably go batshit crazy over this if they haven't hacked together a similar modding kit yet. Not sure if unpacking a game like that is bannable by Steam's standards, though, which is why I ask.

I'm also not sure if they worked together a full set of modding tools yet. Though the lack of mods outside of the Romero mod (and people using hex editors) suggests that I might be the first one to actually scrap together working mod tools for the game. I've seen random bits and pieces that suggest people have tried, but nothing that actually works as a complete set of tools like what I posted at the dropbox link.

I guess a confirmation that no one else did this yet, along with whether or not some Steam admin is going to throw a tantrum after mistaking what the tools do are my primary concerns about passing the packaged tools around. I don't want to cause any problems.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Dec 5, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Archonex posted:

So one more post before I call it a night. Should I post this stuff to the Undead Lab forums when they come back up? I know there's also a fairly large steam modding group that'd probably go batshit crazy if they haven't hacked together a similar modding kit yet.

Not sure if they worked together a full set of modding tools yet. Though the lack of mods outside of the Romero mod (and people using hex editors) suggests that I might be the first one to actually scrap together working mod tools for the game.

Sure!

So as it turns out making ammo common is dead loving simple.

Unpack the BreakdownC.pak. Go to where you unpacked it, then go to game -> libs -> class3.1 -> items, and open items.xml in an editor of your choice. Notepad++ works great.

code:
<AmmoDefinition EntityClass="bullet_22cal" MaximumStackSize="30" Rare="0" Scale="10" TakeStackSize="10">
      <InventoryItemData DestroySound="sounds/ui:ui_assign_item:ammo_bullet_destroy" Encumbrance="0.01"
EquipSound="sounds/ui:ui_assign_item:ammo_bullet_assign" Id="AmmoBullet22cal"
UnequipSound="sounds/ui:ui_assign_item:ammo_bullet_remove" Value="1">
        <NameText Flags="" Notes="" Text=".22 Caliber" />
        <DescriptionText Flags="" Notes="" Text="Small caliber rounds for pistols, revolvers, rifles, and SMGs." />
        <InventoryIcon Name="Ammo_22LR" Id="57" />
      </InventoryItemData>
    </AmmoDefinition>
The value to change is Scale. I put the scale to 1000 as a test run, broke open an ordinary ammo crate and got ~230 rounds.

MaximumStackSize is how many units can be in one inventory slot. Max seems to be 255.

Encumbrance is how much each bullet weighs. I haven't tested to see if there's a minimum value yet.

But in closing,

:getin:

e: pro modding tip: in items.xml, don't set backpack capacity to greater than 10. I tried it at 14 for large backpacks and suddenly my weapons were invisible and my guns were unable to fire.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 5, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Archonex posted:

I guess a confirmation that no one else did this yet, along with whether or not some Steam admin is going to throw a tantrum after mistaking what the tools do are my primary concerns about passing the packaged tools around. I don't want to cause any problems.

I didn't see you edit, so rather than edit mine I'll double post like a champ (chump).

If that's a concern, provide links to the various tools where you found them and and post your instructions. State clearly in your post that the UL forums are down and you're not sure if someone has already done it, can't find anything like it, here you lot go, go hog wild.

I'm thrilled to be able to tinker with stuff so easily after trying out hex editing and ending up wanting to bludgeon myself to death. As far as I know you're the first person to find a xml -> win.BMD converter that actually works. As far as I know other people tried converters and got nowhere, but I haven't kept up with SODs mod scene for a couple of months.

It could even just be that UL removed whatever obfuscation there was on the win.BMD to make it work with normal converters when they released Breakdown. They said they were going to throw modding a bone after Breakdown. :v:

gileadexile
Jul 20, 2012

I presume it's not worth asking if any of these mods work on 360, right?

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
Is there any way to mod in friendly fire? I would like to destroy some survivor enclaves and take their stuff :black101:

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

I have no idea how modding would work on a 360 and I am not good enough (or at all) at coding to tell if FF could be implemented. I play with XML files. :shrug:

I really should go to bed but I want to keep looking for stuff. :qq:

I can change powerhouse characters to stack more than 4 basic items in an inventory slot... Maybe if I create a hidden trait and assign it to all characters that works like powerhouse's increased carry capacity and bonus slot size I can increase how much people can carry...

Archonex
May 2, 2012

So if I could find the hotkey listings for the game in the code, I could try a neat experiment. Found this code segment in the goalpipe code for allies. Wanted to see if I could use it to give them the order to open or hold fire.

code:
    -- hold fire
    AI.BeginGoalPipe("UL_Ally_HoldFire")
        AI.PushGoal("firecmd", 0, FIREMODE_OFF, 0)
    AI.EndGoalPipe()

AI.BeginGoalPipe("UL_Ally_FireModeOn")
        AI.PushGoal("+firecmd", 0, FIREMODE_BURST)
    AI.EndGoalPipe()
Unfortunately I have no idea where that is at the moment. Otherwise you could use emotes to give the order to shoot things. As it is i'm trying to find the code that removes a party member if you start a mission, since it looks like Tommofork has the issue of ammunition and item drops handled fairly well.

Also, a bit of searching around the code reveals that the SWAT backup team is listed as a "mercenary" or "merc" NPC type. Which is different from survivors. Merging some of their AI behavior with survivors would probably let survivors automatically shoot stuff provided all of the necessary code was linked together.

gileadexile posted:

I presume it's not worth asking if any of these mods work on 360, right?

I can't think of a way they could. That's one of the benefits of being a PC nerd. You get sweet modding/replayability capabilities with your games.

Attention Horse posted:

Is there any way to mod in friendly fire? I would like to destroy some survivor enclaves and take their stuff :black101:

This may already exist. Stand near a NPC with a grenade launcher when they have a target. Hilarity can ensue. Otherwise it seems like it might be too much trouble for me to check out at the moment given that I literally just mucked into this crap a day ago. Feel free to check out the code for FF features though.

Archonex fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 5, 2013

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Archonex posted:

In other news, I just finished up a huge loving guide on how to mod the game, including a walkthrough of how I did the no cooldown on scavengers mod and the mod itself. The rar i'm setting up also includes all of the software I found that let me do it. I tried to make it as detailed and extensive as possible so that even a newbie to modding could easily muck around in the game's code to do stuff. So give it a try and tell me how bad my manual writing skills are. :v:

Let me know if I hosed something up or forgot to add some sort of important detail. It's late here so I probably did. :v:

Welp, I hope I can remember some of my programming classes from school! I'm taking a look at this now, you magical studmuffin you!

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 15:31 on Dec 5, 2013

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
Archonex, I could access the undeadlabs forums yesterday and nowhere did I find a nice modding kit with everything like you did. Granted I didn't check for very long but all I've seen are mostly mods. I did however found a post claiming that they had a XML compiler working but only that part.

In all cases I'd post this on undeadlabs cause the devs are very open about modding and this would help a ton of people honestly and more modding can only be better, also internet fame :science:

Forget about steam forums honestly it's dogshit and people who really care would go to undeadlabs I bet. Your call anyway.

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010

everyone posted:

glorious modding goodness

My god, I need to get this game on PC now.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
Well, actorconstants in game\libs\class3.1 has some promising lines:

code:
<DamageValues Max="75" Min="50" Name="Damage_ToJuggernaut_Vulnerable_Unarmed" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="175" Min="150" Name="Damage_ToJuggernaut_Vulnerable_BluntLight" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="175" Min="150" Name="Damage_ToJuggernaut_Vulnerable_EdgedLight" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="300" Min="230" Name="Damage_ToJuggernaut_Vulnerable_BluntHeavy" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="50" Min="35" Name="Damage_ToJuggernaut_Normal_Unarmed" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="135" Min="100" Name="Damage_ToJuggernaut_Normal_BluntLight" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="135" Min="100" Name="Damage_ToJuggernaut_Normal_EdgedLight" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="225" Min="150" Name="Damage_ToJuggernaut_Normal_BluntHeavy" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="1000" Min="800" Name="Damage_ToJuggernaut_Explosives" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="250" Min="250" Name="Damage_ToJuggernaut_FireBombImpact" PerSecond="0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="0" Min="0" Name="DamageDoT_ToJuggernaut_Burning" PerSecond="50" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="15" Min="15" Name="Damage_ToPlayer_Juggernaut_Light" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
It seems that Juggernaut Health is elsewhere, as are spawn rates. Still, it seems like I could just make these values much larger and effectively decrease their health anyway - even if I don't quite understand what some of these damage types are. This file also include damage the Juggernaut does to players so I can essentially neuter these annoying fucks in one go. I can make them (for practical killing purposes) made of paper and weak as kittens.

This files also contains lines about Health and Stamina Regeneration - plus some lines that while not commented out show some promise of un-released features:

code:
      <DamageValues Max="40.0" Min="40.0" Name="HealthGain_Normal_Heavy" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="10.0" Min="10.0" Name="HealthGain_Bonus_Medicine" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="0.0" Min="0.0" Name="HealthRegen_Standard" PerSecond="4.0" Stat="Health" />
      <DamageValues Max="30.0" Min="30.0" Name="StaminaGain_Item_Food_Normal" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Stamina" />
      <DamageValues Max="6.0" Min="6.0" Name="StaminaGain_Perk_Rage_Level1" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Stamina" />
      <DamageValues Max="10.0" Min="10.0" Name="StaminaGain_Perk_Rage_Level2" PerSecond="0.0" Stat="Stamina" />
It seems like Health Regeneration was a feature that was removed by setting its values to 0, but those can be easily altered. This file also allows for tweaking of how effective Snacks and Medicines are!

I think for my first experiment I'll add in Regenerating Health and Kitten Juggernauts. I'm not sure how loose files overlap, so maybe I'll make 3 .pak files, one of each and a combined file.

Edit: Looking at it again, I'm not sure that actually controls health regeneration. Let me test my Kitten Juggernaut mod, or the JuggerNOTS mod. I need to find a fat bastard.

LeJackal fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 5, 2013

Eediot Jedi
Dec 25, 2007

man of my word costs me

Archonex posted:

So if I could find the hotkey listings for the game in the code, I could try a neat experiment. Found this code segment in the goalpipe code for allies. Wanted to see if I could use it to give them the order to open or hold fire.

I really hope this pans out!

quote:

Unfortunately I have no idea where that is at the moment. Otherwise you could use emotes to give the order to shoot things. As it is i'm trying to find the code that removes a party member if you start a mission, since it looks like Tommofork has the issue of ammunition and item drops handled fairly well.

I'm a bit all over the place at the moment. I keep trying to see if new things are possible instead of just focusing on one thing and nailing it. I've been playing around with sandbox.win.bmd to see how crazy spawns could get. It was pretty inconsistent. With the same settings, sometimes it would be a wasteland, sometimes it was so crazy with zombies that running them over did nothing, my car just passed right over them due to the sheer numbers. I think that might have something to do with an ambient respawn thing I just saw in a file and now can't find again for the life of me. :(

Fake edit: Just found it again in class3.1\rts\zombies.xml from breakdownc.pak. Yeeeeeeeees.

Also, the very first mod you should all do is go to your SOD\game directory and rename video.pak to video.pak.bak. You won't get any fancy background movies or loadscreen movies, but by god you won't have an intro movie to watch.

LeJackal posted:

Well, actorconstants in game\libs\class3.1 has some promising lines:

It seems that Juggernaut Health is elsewhere, as are spawn rates. Still, it seems like I could just make these values much larger and effectively decrease their health anyway - even if I don't quite understand what some of these damage types are. This file also include damage the Juggernaut does to players so I can essentially neuter these annoying fucks in one go. I can make them (for practical killing purposes) made of paper and weak as kittens.

Thanks for pointing out that file, there's some interesting stuff in there regarding stamina drain from sprinting while encumbered/various cardio levels. The damage types are just blunt = bluntlight, blade = edgedlight and heavy = bluntheavy. When each melee weapon is defined in items.xml it's given one of the types. I'm guessing the damage is further broken down by whether or not the fatty is their vulnerable state, which happens either after they ram into a wall or you give them enough whacks to stun them.

I'm really disappointed I couldn't get All Fatties All The Time working, but I'm working on it. :v:

Real edit:

How to find a fatty:
Open game\libs\class3.1\rts\sandbox.xml.
Under scenario one change percent jugg to 100. Change the others to 0 if you like. Start a new game on breakdown level 1 and shouldn't take too long to find one, there should be at least one around your spawn. I couldn't get multiples to show up though.

Real 2nd edit:
Changing the ambient respawn rate didn't really do anything that I could see. I did notice though that every time I kill the only fatty I can find another appears just around the corner. There must be a cap somewhere on how many can spawn at once. I think it goes for ferals too, as I had no problems flooding the land in army zombies, screamers and blow up zombie dolls.

Eediot Jedi fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 5, 2013

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme
Archonex, fantastic job on the mod tools package. I was able to follow it and it works great! I unpacked the shaders.pak file in hopes of finding some way of tweaking contrast or light levels, but I couldn't find anything. Hopefully we can break out of the limitations put on the engine by the Xbox360, but that might be beyond the scope of what you're doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011
A thought occurs:
When I turn the .xml file into a .bmd file, do I need to recreate the folder structure?

What I did was I just dragged JuggerNOTS.xml to the xml2bmd and dropped JuggerNOTS.win.bmd next to BreakDownC.pak in my game directory (SteamApps\common\State of Decay\Game\sandbox).

• Locked thread