Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MetalClawWolf posted:

Maybe it is because you can buy a 268hp Camry for around the same price as a 268hp WRX.

I know some of you probably grabbed your chests and are full of rage ready to smash the keys on how a Camry is nothing like a WRX. But both cars hit the same class/price/horsepower.

Subaru needs to sell cars. They probably think adding that CVT will increase sales.

Subaru are selling as many cars as they can build and have been doing so for a decade, unlike just about anyone else. When they annouce sales increases it's literally because they managed to open another production line or put on a third shift. And the WRX is their best seller, what a CVT going to bring to the mix other than pissing off the people who buy a WRX?

A Camry might have the same power, BFD. If you think the WRX and the Camry cater to the same driver market... seek help as that is a pure insane suggestion. Because you know a WRX is rather good in areas a Camry is complete poo poo in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MetalClawWolf
Jun 1, 2002

I agree, the Camry isn't anything like a WRX in performance. Then again, this isn't the first time you can buy an auto WRX either. So they must see some sort of sales benefit to it.

They aren't doing it for enthusiasts. So it's obviously to take sales from a similar car, and the Camry is the only one that comes to mind. What other import 4 door midsize car in the $28k price range fits that bill?

MetalClawWolf fucked around with this message at 05:41 on Dec 5, 2013

Chiwie
Oct 21, 2010

DROP YOUR COAT AND GRAB YOUR TOES, I'LL SHOW YOU WHERE THE WILD GOOSE GOES!!!!
I have met 50+ year old lady that was complaining about the power of her brand new impreza and the fact that she couldn't get a WRX in auto. There is a market there.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Holy crap I'm actually almost done with my 2.5TS engine re-installation! I just put on all the accessory belts and tightened them, slapped in the radiator, throttle/clutch cables, and plugged in a ton of wires/tubes. Brought the battery home to charge since it's been sitting since MAY. Just need to put the battery, intake, and washer fluid tank back in and then the motor should be ready to fire up! I am real nervous but worse comes to worst it's getting a WRX swap.

Also need to put the front left axle, brakes, and strut back in, because the PO decided to remove those thinking he needed to remove the front axle to get to a bolt, which was not the case. He also sliced the balljoint boot in the process so it looks like I'll have to do that as well before I can get it on the road. I'm never, ever buying someone else's project ever again!

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

MetalClawWolf posted:

Then again, this isn't the first time you can buy an auto WRX either. So they must see some sort of sales benefit to it.

a) Have a guess at how many they sold and a percentage of total and b) which model WRX stays on the lot the longest?

(Less than 5% and the auto stayed up to 2 months longer)

So where's the benefit if there's no demand apart from the odd one or two?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cat Terrist posted:

a) Have a guess at how many they sold and a percentage of total and b) which model WRX stays on the lot the longest?

(Less than 5% and the auto stayed up to 2 months longer)

So where's the benefit if there's no demand apart from the odd one or two?

cafe numbers?

Alzabo
Oct 23, 2002

You watched it, you can't unwatch it.

MetalClawWolf posted:

I agree, the Camry isn't anything like a WRX in performance. Then again, this isn't the first time you can buy an auto WRX either. So they must see some sort of sales benefit to it.

They aren't doing it for enthusiasts. So it's obviously to take sales from a similar car, and the Camry is the only one that comes to mind. What other import 4 door midsize car in the $28k price range fits that bill?

Not to drag out this conversation any more, but doesn't adding a autobox to the WRX (and the assumed 4~10% price increase we'll see with this new chassis) put it in competition with the "cheap" A4?

FWIW, I dunno how many people would cross shop the A4 and the WRX and pick the A4 because of it's harry potter transmission.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Subaru really should get a DSG instead for it's performance models.

Neptr
Mar 1, 2011
If you want an AWD hatch with more power, the WRX is your best bet. Here in New England, it's just a normal car that people buy, not a fire breather that only hardcore enthusiasts get. I see old ladies with them all the time.

Subaru won't get a DSG for a while because Subaru is always behind on the technology curve.

si
Apr 26, 2004
DSG isn't about being behind or a technology curve, it's a very expensive licensed technology. Take a look at the brands using them, and you'll see a pattern. They would have to license it or purchase the units - and my understanding is if you are not part of VAG, that license is essentially not obtainable.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Neptr posted:

If you want an AWD hatch with more power, the WRX is your best bet. Here in New England, it's just a normal car that people buy, not a fire breather that only hardcore enthusiasts get. I see old ladies with them all the time.

Subaru won't get a DSG for a while because Subaru is always behind on the technology curve.

More often than not I see older men/women in stock looking WRXs in Brisbane, people here seem to love their Nissans.

treizebee
Dec 30, 2011

Stage 3 oil injection

Cat Terrist posted:

Subaru are selling as many cars as they can build and have been doing so for a decade, unlike just about anyone else. When they annouce sales increases it's literally because they managed to open another production line or put on a third shift. And the WRX is their best seller, what a CVT going to bring to the mix other than pissing off the people who buy a WRX?

A Camry might have the same power, BFD. If you think the WRX and the Camry cater to the same driver market... seek help as that is a pure insane suggestion. Because you know a WRX is rather good in areas a Camry is complete poo poo in?

I don't think Subaru ever intended CVT to be a "sales booster". See : http://www.forbes.com/sites/jimhenry/2013/11/30/subaru-runs-laps-around-the-rest-of-the-auto-industry/

I'd go with what Bajaha said and assume they want the WRX&STI to be included in your general public automatic car cross-search. More about stealing customers then selling more cars. Families tend to buy from the same make. Generic grocery getter needs a new Camry, sees the new WRX comes in auto with "oh CVT that sounds cool better mileage!?", and now you have a different market appeal.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

booo hooo a car has more options. Giving people more choice. I don't understand how that is inciting similar rage as if I broke into your house and sodomized your wife with a CVT. We get it. Shut up.

Bajaha your lateral slop in gears is your shifter U joint. I've done both front and rear shift stay in my wagon and RS, but the RS is a lot tighter in gear because I replaced the ujoint bushings when I had the gearbox out last vs my wagon has never had them done and they are probably dust by now.

TIC makes an updated linkage as well:

http://turninconcepts.com/tic-5mt-linkage-update.html

Stock is a soft blue plastic that dies and lets the gear shift flop around.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007
hello im back in ai buy me avatars plz :-*
Used cars on our lot get added to our website, and equipment lists are pulled from the VIN. A 2001 Legacy Wagon has "RB Equip," any idea what that means?

I've already checked cars101.com and some Outback-specific forums without any luck.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

goatse guy posted:

Used cars on our lot get added to our website, and equipment lists are pulled from the VIN. A 2001 Legacy Wagon has "RB Equip," any idea what that means?

I've already checked cars101.com and some Outback-specific forums without any luck.

Does it have a hard panel on the floor of the rear cargo area? That seems to be the only common denominator, no one else really knows.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
Running Boards?

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Slow is Fast posted:

TIC makes an updated linkage as well:

http://turninconcepts.com/tic-5mt-linkage-update.html

Stock is a soft blue plastic that dies and lets the gear shift flop around.

I've already changed out the linkage, put in front and rear poly bushings, pivot bushing, Group N trans + motor mounts, only things I haven't done that are supposed to affect shift feel are solid pitch stop, trans crossmember bushings, and a short shift. Overall the shift feel is better than what it was stock, but not as good as I imagined from some of the reviews I've read. Maybe I'm just too picky :shrug:

Would a short shift change anything? I'm looking for something with a slightly shorter throw but the same knob height, I like where it sits now. Only experience with a short shift was trying a friend of a friends ek civic that had one and it was awful, you could barely tell when it clicked into gear and you almost had to reach into the console to reach the shifter, but I'm hoping that experience was more from him being an idiot and probably buying some cheap eBay garbage rather than how it's supposed to feel.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Not really. Just a shorter throw and a little more effort. I like it. I get really good feedback out of my shifter and have everything you have plus the kartboy lever, and am very happy with everything. For my pivot u-joint thing I am using hard nylon bushings I got from mcmaster though because I have a slightly different linkage and the tic stuff wasn't compatible. Also have trans x-member bushings which I'm not sure did anything but hey they are cheap. I used to have a solid pitch stop and it did make a slight difference in shifter feel but it made the car so noisy I took it off. Motor/trans mounts are just new stock take offs so nothing special.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Dec 5, 2013

BigShroom
May 30, 2002
So I hosed up installing a new halogen bulb on my 2011 outback. Broke the little plastic tab that the metal bracket clips to, holding the bulb in place. Should have dropped the drat bumper instead of trying to blindly grab around in there through the wheel well.

I need a whole new headlight assembly now don't I?

Here's the beast in question last Christmas day after a day of snowboarding at mount hood meadows:

BigShroom fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 5, 2013

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Removed and cleaned my C(rank/am)PS today, the camshaft one was barely dusty but the crankshaft one had some deposits which came off easily. How bad does it have to be before it affects performance of the sensor?

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
http://albany.craigslist.org/cto/4227626697.html

Found this little guy today during my morning craigslist surf... Gonna see if he'll take the Sonoma and some cash for it! I was looking for something else 4x4 to build into a modest off road rig, but I've got my eyes open to Subaru too...

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

TheFrailNinja posted:

Found this little guy today during my morning craigslist surf... Gonna see if he'll take the Sonoma and some cash for it! I was looking for something else 4x4 to build into a modest off road rig, but I've got my eyes open to Subaru too...

I've never seen an RS with tan interior. Find out if it has a 2.2 or a 2.5L motor.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]

Slow is Fast posted:

I've never seen an RS with tan interior. Find out if it has a 2.2 or a 2.5L motor.

Yeah that's a pre-98 impreza style interior too

dayman
Mar 12, 2009

Is it a yes, or...

TheFrailNinja posted:

Yeah, get the VIN on that one. Sketchy. If it starts JF1GC4, it's a 2.2L.

I'd wager it's an L sedan with RS hood and front bumper. Note the black plastic door handles. RS's had body colored ones.

Personally, I'd avoid it all together. If the seller is sketchy enough to lie about the year and trim, it's unlikely he'll be straight up about maintenance or mechanical stuff.

si
Apr 26, 2004
All RS have a sunroof.

TheFrailNinja
Jun 28, 2008
CAN'T SEE SCHOOL BUS, INSISTS HE'S AN EXCELLENT DRIVER

GET OFF THE ROAD SON

APPARENTLY SUCKS AT POSTING TOO
Wow, you guys know your poo poo. I'm glad I posted! Turns out he's not interested in the crusty old Sonoma, but maybe we can work something else out. I haven't set a date to check it out yet, but when I do, I'll go over it with a fine-toothed comb. THanks fellas.

e: also, this:

http://westernmass.craigslist.org/cto/4216669527.html

First of all, lol at the price, but I don't see a sunroof...

TheFrailNinja fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 6, 2013

si
Apr 26, 2004
Also worth mentioning. Those drip strip trim pieces that go along the roof where that roof rack is sitting, and are missing, are nearly impossible to get and extremely expensive. Make sure there's no rust in those channels from them being missing.

Edit: 7k get the gently caress out. I think I do see the sunroof there - it's metal and body color, so you'll only see the outline. It's not a moonroof.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
Seriously don't even bother. That is not even close to what he says it is and has a bunch stupid poo poo stuck on it.

And the sunroof is a body colored panel. Not sure there is even glass.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

si posted:

All RS have a sunroof.

Moonroof

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

GD chassis is better anyway. I wouldn't pay over 2k for a loving GC, RS or not.

si
Apr 26, 2004

daslog posted:

Moonroof

Is it? I thought sunroof was the opaque, moonroof was the translucent. I'm probably wrong.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
In the UK, we just call them all sunroofs. Might mention if it's glass, but no-one particularly cares.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

si posted:

Is it? I thought sunroof was the opaque, moonroof was the translucent. I'm probably wrong.

You are correct on the difference.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Slow is Fast posted:

GD chassis is better anyway. I wouldn't pay over 2k for a loving GC, RS or not.

:qq: I love my GC STi.

E: I know you're probably talking about USDM GC's but still.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Dec 6, 2013

THE BLACK NINJA
Mar 9, 2010
Hey guys been a while. Our 2010 obs got hit a couple weeks and repairs are now complete. We had to get a new tire. The tire is a Conti DWS which has a new tread depth of 10/32". The other tires (which we bought a year and a half ago) are at 6/32". Do I really need to go buy 3 new tires at 150 ea plus install? If I don't buy tires am I retarded? Is it going to do long term damage to the diffs?

Thanks guys.

goatse guy
Jan 23, 2007

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Hey guys been a while. Our 2010 obs got hit a couple weeks and repairs are now complete. We had to get a new tire. The tire is a Conti DWS which has a new tread depth of 10/32". The other tires (which we bought a year and a half ago) are at 6/32". Do I really need to go buy 3 new tires at 150 ea plus install? If I don't buy tires am I retarded? Is it going to do long term damage to the diffs?

Thanks guys.

You can get tires shaved down to match. I have no idea if tire shaving is a thing that normal people do though, I've only heard my autocross buddies talk about it.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Just bolt it to a fwd car with a similar bolt pattern, grab the e-brake, and mash the throttle until it matches.

amenenema
Feb 10, 2003

THE BLACK NINJA posted:

Thanks guys.

I'd like to know the answer to this too. We've also got DWS's on our 04 WRX and if we ever have to replace one I'd like to know how much tread depth difference is "too much" - e.g. at what point would you have to have the new tire shaved.

si
Apr 26, 2004
From TireRack:
Subaru Within 1/4-inch of tire circumference or about 2/32-inch of each other in remaining tread depth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve
RE:2015 WRX. I am telling myself that Cat Terrist is just a grumpy Australian and that it's gonna be great because I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get one. Getting sick of the cabin noise on the S2000 with the top up, can't stand that it's basically a big baby whenever there's a bit of snow on the ground, and since MY WIFE and I are planning on replicating here pretty soon I think having more than two seats would be fantastic. I like the styling a lot more than the current one, and I definitely like having shiny new things. I think unless there's a really, really glaring reason, I'll probably pick up a Limited. Most likely without nav because it looks like it's terrible.

edit: roof rack, snow tires and mudflaps will be mandatory. Gonna be sweet.