Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

You can, I do it fairly regularly.

It was definitely an issue, I ran into it myself, but I can't find anything about it now (the whole 'you can set repeating alarms but not a one-off at a specific time' thing) so maybe I've been Bullshitted Again. Sorry folks!

*moonwalks out of thread*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Roundboy posted:

I used to think the same way, but the answer is often.

Out at lunch and need to figure out how to get back to work. Also its the easiest way to see traffic or find alternate routes on a phones gmaps.

When I am out,end up at different bars,places,etc and need to get home? All the time,if only to get me to more familiar roads.

More so that I can just speak it out loud now. I used to have an icon on my home screen that used to give me directions home where ever I was.
Fair enough. I've lived in the same medium sized city all my life and pretty much know all the roads after thirty years of driving around. Either way I've never had it not do 'Navigate to Home/Work" correctly whenever I've tried it but admittedly that's only been a handful of times.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

baka kaba posted:

(the whole 'you can set repeating alarms but not a one-off at a specific time' thing)
Keep in mind that reminders and alarms are not the same thing. If you say "set an alarm for 13:54" you get a repeating alarm in your clock/alarm app. If you say "set an alarm for 13:54 tomorrow" you get a one-time reminder within Google Now.

Reminders didn't exist until...I want to say 4.3? So it probably used to do something dumb.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012
I had my heart set on a Galaxy S3 for upgrading, but it turns out Verizon doesn't offer that anymore. The HTC One is in my price range, and it looks to be even newer than the S3, but having had two HTC phones in the past and having to deal with their/Verizon's slow OS upgrading, I'm not sure if I want to hold onto another HTC product for two years. Is the HTC One a Good Phone? Is HTC being better about updating? How does it compare to the HTC Incredible 2 (the phone I currently have)?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I have never had a reminder pop-up since using them, but alarms,navigation etc all worked well until the new Google search experience downloaded.

I set a reminder for a specific time just now, but ill see how it works out.

I will say that 99,99% of what I vomit out for Google to translate is done correctly,it just doesn't always do what I want with that info

Sobriquet
Jan 15, 2003

we're on an ice cream safari!

LastInLine posted:

Fair enough. I've lived in the same medium sized city all my life and pretty much know all the roads after thirty years of driving around. Either way I've never had it not do 'Navigate to Home/Work" correctly whenever I've tried it but admittedly that's only been a handful of times.

I use the maps app for public transit information, so I actually have shortcuts to navigate from current location to [home/work].

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

big mean giraffe posted:

SWSP is a mod, he can't approve a probation, just FYI.
6 hours doesn't require approval, just FYI.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Segmentation Fault posted:

I had my heart set on a Galaxy S3 for upgrading, but it turns out Verizon doesn't offer that anymore. The HTC One is in my price range, and it looks to be even newer than the S3, but having had two HTC phones in the past and having to deal with their/Verizon's slow OS upgrading, I'm not sure if I want to hold onto another HTC product for two years. Is the HTC One a Good Phone? Is HTC being better about updating? How does it compare to the HTC Incredible 2 (the phone I currently have)?

If you are burning an upgrade the Moto X is a penny on Amazon. It's the next best thing to a Nexus you will ever see on Verizon, and given how fast they turned around 4.4, it's light years better than the Nexus device Verizon once did sell.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Tunga posted:

Keep in mind that reminders and alarms are not the same thing. If you say "set an alarm for 13:54" you get a repeating alarm in your clock/alarm app. If you say "set an alarm for 13:54 tomorrow" you get a one-time reminder within Google Now.

Reminders didn't exist until...I want to say 4.3? So it probably used to do something dumb.

Yeah I had the same thought and it was definitely pre-reminders, but I still couldn't see what I was on about so I ejected

On the plus side I found out that a Google search like "Google now reminder something something" pops up a set reminder dialogue box, in chrome at least. I assume they'll appear on your phone, which is nice

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Sereri posted:

Afaik probations up to 6h are approved automatically and show the mods name for approval.

Either way it was an impressive fake and had me confused there for a while.

I'll come back later with an answer for you SWSP once I figure out a way to phrase it that doesn't come off as completely smarmy.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Yo, I need to get a new phone and could use some advice. Apologies if I'm making GBS threads up this thread.

I'm thinking about picking up a Nexus 5 'cause it's pretty affordable and I can just buy it outright. How long is this thing going to be supported though? I've read that since it's from google it can upgrade to new Android releases whenever that happens, but other phones can't? I've not had a smartphone before and I'm on a bit of a budget, so If I do drop cash on one of these I want to know that it will be supported for at least a few years, and that's my biggest concern right now.

My girlfriend has had trouble with multiple iphones going wonky whenever iOS gets a big update so basically I want to not have that happen to me.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Basically Nexus phones are like Google's base platform for developing Android, new versions tend to come out for the lead devices first (currently that's the Nexus 5) and then show up on other Nexus devices soon after. Other manufacturers and carriers take the new versions and do their thing and eventually it shows up on their devices, if they want. Apparently this process is getting a lot better though? The Moto X got 4.4 before the Nexus 4 I think, and carriers are updating faster too.

Nexus devices traditionally have an 18 month support window, after which they might not get any more OS updates. That's not as big a deal as it sounds, and Google's moving more of the features out of the OS and into general software updates, so you should do fine for a few years if you get something on the cutting edge right now

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Stan Taylor posted:

Yo, I need to get a new phone and could use some advice. Apologies if I'm making GBS threads up this thread.

I'm thinking about picking up a Nexus 5 'cause it's pretty affordable and I can just buy it outright. How long is this thing going to be supported though? I've read that since it's from google it can upgrade to new Android releases whenever that happens, but other phones can't? I've not had a smartphone before and I'm on a bit of a budget, so If I do drop cash on one of these I want to know that it will be supported for at least a few years, and that's my biggest concern right now.

My girlfriend has had trouble with multiple iphones going wonky whenever iOS gets a big update so basically I want to not have that happen to me.
You'll be fine until around November of 2015.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

LastInLine posted:

You'll be fine until around November of 2015.

At least. With the relative plateauing of hardware, support for Nexus devices might move beyond the traditional 18 months. We don't know for sure, however, since this is a fairly recent development.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

kitten smoothie posted:

If you are burning an upgrade the Moto X is a penny on Amazon. It's the next best thing to a Nexus you will ever see on Verizon, and given how fast they turned around 4.4, it's light years better than the Nexus device Verizon once did sell.

Really? Hot poo poo. Looking at the specs they're pretty similar, though the Moto X "only" has 720p versus the One's 1080p. The processor on the One is supposedly a quad core versus the Moto X's dual core, though they're the same processor architecture and clock speed. Do those two extra cores matter?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Really? Hot poo poo. Looking at the specs they're pretty similar, though the Moto X "only" has 720p versus the One's 1080p. The processor on the One is supposedly a quad core versus the Moto X's dual core, though they're the same processor architecture and clock speed. Do those two extra cores matter?

As long as you are going to do phone things and not benchmark things, no those cores don't matter at all. If you are on Verizon and not getting a Motorola you are doing it wrong.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Welp, thanks y'all. I went ahead and ordered the black 16 gig one. I always hate spending a lot of money, but I think I'll like it. I just need to find out which emulators are cool now and then load it up with literally every SNES, NES, and Gameboy game ever. :getin:

It will be like I really live in the year 2013. Now to never read this thread again, lest I learn how out of date my phone already is.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

8th-snype posted:

As long as you are going to do phone things and not benchmark things, no those cores don't matter at all. If you are on Verizon and not getting a Motorola you are doing it wrong.

Even if you do benchmark things, the Moto X holds up really well and even beats phones it should technically lose to.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Most people would be hard pressed to see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 5 inch screen in normal use.

The cpu on the moto x is great and quad cores don't really get you any real world benefits over a dual core except in benchmarks.

On Verizon, look at the droid maxx (not to be confused with the droid razr maxx). It is the same phone as the moto x for all practical purposes but with a huge gently caress off battery in a very slim form factor. It is also pretty cheap. Every one on here that has it loves it. I think it's the best phone I have ever had.

Segmentation Fault
Jun 7, 2012

Lowen SoDium posted:

Most people would be hard pressed to see the difference between 720p and 1080p on a 5 inch screen in normal use.

The cpu on the moto x is great and quad cores don't really get you any real world benefits over a dual core except in benchmarks.

On Verizon, look at the droid maxx (not to be confused with the droid razr maxx). It is the same phone as the moto x for all practical purposes but with a huge gently caress off battery in a very slim form factor. It is also pretty cheap. Every one on here that has it loves it. I think it's the best phone I have ever had.

Regarding resolution, I definitely agree. My old phone ran at 480x800 on a 4 inch screen and that looked pretty drat good, hence the "only" being in quotes. I don't need 1080p on a 5 inch screen, and having a smaller native res means applications heavy on pushing graphics like youtube or games would probably run better. As for quad-core it definitely makes sense that most apps don't take advantage of it, many desktop applications don't bother with multiple processes and multiple cores have been around for much longer on that environment.

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, I'm definitely going to go with the Moto X. The Droid Maxx looks interesting but it's out of my range, and I'm certain the battery life on the Moto X will be fine anyway.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

8th-snype posted:

The galaxy s4 has one of the best cameras on Verizon (moto cameras are passable, not great), along with a solid set of specs. It is one of the only flagships that takes a SD card, for a $35 64GB upgrade for storing all your anime. Batteries are changeable, and cheap. It has a plastic back and a stock skin that really bothers some people here. If you use a case, the plastic shouldn't matter, and most of the skin is gone with a launcher.

The Note 3 is the de-facto mini-tablet. Get this if you want something huge that also outperforms everything else in nearly every way. SD cards, and plastic and touchwiz.

The HTC One looks and feels nice and has good speakers, if you're the type who thinks everyone else should listen to your music and you hate headphones. The camera is better than most in low light, but gets poo poo on in normal outdoor shots by most others.

The iPhone 5S is the best choice for those who want a smaller screen and don't like all the hosed up things about android.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Goon suggestions for a non-TPU case for a Nexus 5? I'd like to keep it fairly slim.

Edit: And I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but switching from GEL to Nova substantially increased battery life for me.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

grack posted:

Goon suggestions for a non-TPU case for a Nexus 5? I'd like to keep it fairly slim.

Edit: And I don't know if anyone else has experienced this, but switching from GEL to Nova substantially increased battery life for me.

GEL is still running in the background since it's integrated into the Nexus 5's OS. You then run Nova on top of that. Placebo?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc

Civil posted:

The galaxy s4 has one of the best cameras on Verizon (moto cameras are passable, not great), along with a solid set of specs. It is one of the only flagships that takes a SD card, for a $35 64GB upgrade for storing all your anime. Batteries are changeable, and cheap. It has a plastic back and a stock skin that really bothers some people here. If you use a case, the plastic shouldn't matter, and most of the skin is gone with a launcher.

The Note 3 is the de-facto mini-tablet. Get this if you want something huge that also outperforms everything else in nearly every way. SD cards, and plastic and touchwiz.

The HTC One looks and feels nice and has good speakers, if you're the type who thinks everyone else should listen to your music and you hate headphones. The camera is better than most in low light, but gets poo poo on in normal outdoor shots by most others.

The iPhone 5S is the best choice for those who want a smaller screen and don't like all the hosed up things about android.

I didn't mention the Iphone because that being good is a gimme. Good point on the HTC One, it seems like a decent phone. I would set my own head on fire before buying another Samsung cellular telephone.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

hotsauce posted:

GEL is still running in the background since it's integrated into the Nexus 5's OS. You then run Nova on top of that. Placebo?

GEL isn't integrated in to the core OS. It's a front end for Google Search. You can load (and use with full functionality) GEL on any Android phone running at least 4.1.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Just dropped my Nexus 5 and cracked its screen. Only fell about 1 foot, but landed on a corner, big crack in the hit corner and three big cracks along the length of the screen.

I knew I should have bought a case.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

hotsauce posted:

This is not at all how Android works. Just swipe the process away after you switch launcher and I'll be gone.

What you're probably thinking of is garbage like Sense that always has a bunch of crap running in the background because HTC are terrible. Back in the Desire days, for example, Rosie (the Sense launcher) would persist in memory despite any efforts to kill it.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up

Tunga posted:

This is not at all how Android works. Just swipe the process away after you switch launcher and I'll be gone.

What you're probably thinking of is garbage like Sense that always has a bunch of crap running in the background because HTC are terrible. Back in the Desire days, for example, Rosie (the Sense launcher) would persist in memory despite any efforts to kill it.

In this case, it is. The Google Experience launcher is just a shiny front for Google Now, which is always there, doing it's thing.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rusty! posted:

In this case, it is. The Google Experience launcher is just a shiny front for Google Now, which is always there, doing it's thing.
The launcher is a totally separate Activity to the one that runs standalone Google Now. It's not as simple as saying that an app is or isn't running.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum
Does anyone have any suggestions for a small-ish (preferably anywhere up to 4.5" screen, though 4.7 isn't a dealbreaker), reasonably high-end phone that's available in the UK?

I prefer to buy my phones outright, because my actual phone contract is pretty drat good and is only £10 a month, but it seems like the choices for reasonably priced phones are Nexus or nothing, and even then I'd have to buy preowned N4 now since Google no longer sell it, or get an N5, a phone that's too big. I'd go for the HTC One, but it's £450, close to $740.

Frankly I'd be happy to stick with my Nexus S if it wasn't becoming a slow piece of junk that can hardly run any apps/games without chugging and freezing up now, but it's driving me crazy when it takes literally a minute at times to unlock and read a text.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Is the MotoX available in the UK? It should be pretty reasonably priced off-contract.

If you're willing to make more performance concessions (but not too bad), the MotoG has been getting nothing but raves since it launched.

Rusty!
Aug 25, 2005

Play Up Pompey
Pompey Play Up
Might be worth considering the Moto G? Bit worse than the N4, much better than the Nexus S.

ProjektorBoy
Jun 18, 2002

I FUCK LINEN IN MY SPARE TIME!
Grimey Drawer

Verizon & HTC haven't been kind to HTC phones at all in the past few years. The last time they were kind to an HTC phone was the Droid Incredible. The DINC2, DINC4G, and even the Droid DNA were left to languish with issues. Thankfully they've gotten their poo poo together and the HTC One is pretty well kept with updates. It's been around for about 5 months and it's already had 3 OTA updates. HTC has promised Android 4.4 for all variants of the HTC One as well.

If you're keeping your heart on Samsung you'll probably want a look at the Note 2 or the SGS4 as their on-contract prices are both incredibly affordable.

Also, the Incredible 2 gets its rear end handily kicked by the One. For starters, the DINC2 doesn't even have LTE. The HTC One will give you just as, if not better battery life than your DINC2 while having 4G, a much better screen, and better speakers. Your phone also never made it past Android 4.0.3. Hell, even a Galaxy Nexus would arguably be better than a DINC2.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

AlexDeGruven posted:

Is the MotoX available in the UK? It should be pretty reasonably priced off-contract.

If you're willing to make more performance concessions (but not too bad), the MotoG has been getting nothing but raves since it launched.

It's not available here, which is a shame. It looks pretty good, even if it is a bit over 4.5". The Moto G again, is good, but getting half the RAM and storage just because I want to lose out on 0.2" of screen real-estate seems stupid. :(

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Surprise T Rex posted:

It's not available here, which is a shame. It looks pretty good, even if it is a bit over 4.5". The Moto G again, is good, but getting half the RAM and storage just because I want to lose out on 0.2" of screen real-estate seems stupid. :(

It would be worth importing a moto x.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Surprise T Rex posted:

Yeah, even though the X is 4.7", it feels much smaller in the hand. I don't have my old Fascinate around to compare, but it feels more like that size (4" screen), than an S3 (which the screen is only .1" smaller).

lazydog
Apr 15, 2003
If a Nexus 4 is in your size comfort zone, you might try getting your hands on a Nexus 5 to see how it feels. It's the same width, and only a little taller, due to a thinner bezel.

Surprise T Rex
Apr 9, 2008

Dinosaur Gum

lazydog posted:

If a Nexus 4 is in your size comfort zone, you might try getting your hands on a Nexus 5 to see how it feels. It's the same width, and only a little taller, due to a thinner bezel.

I did a thing where I drew out the N5 dimensions on paper and laid my phone on top of it. It looks like my entire Nexus S would fit into the screen on a Nexus 5. I don't honestly think I could handle it very easily, that said - I will check it out if any of the phone shops near here have it.

As for importing a Moto X, I'm mainly just concerned about the compatibility of a US phone with my network, as well as it being about £380 shipped on ebay for a new unit, especially without being able to handle the phone first to see if I'd even like the way it feels in my hands.

I know I'm being overly picky here, but it seems like each phone has one little thing wrong with it. I may just have to suck it up and find which of the little flaws is least important and go with a lesser-of-two-evils decision.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Yeah, holding the N5 actually feels the same as holding the N4 so I wouldn't worry about the size.

I have found that quite often people using Gingerbread-era phones will say "this is the perfect phone size, I don't want anything bigger". Eventually they give up, buy a bigger phone, and after a few weeks they tell me "this is actually the perfect phone size, I don't know how I ever used that thing".

Honestly you just adapt to it, it's not really a big concern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
https://developers.google.com/android/nexus/images

If I want to return my Nexus 4 to stock from CM, I assume I get the 4.4 rom and put it on my phone right?

• Locked thread