Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I can see them getting a good chunk of that 50 out of the way in the next half season. There was a lot of issues of just spinning wheels while Kirkman was trying to figure out what to do next during that period.

They already got a little chunk of it done with the phone storyline.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
I really like the after prison lull. There is a lot of really cool story development that went on there. Especially the moment with the twin boys and what Carl does. (If this part is not included in the show in some way, they are fools.) They also had the whole herd scene in the show but that herd is bound to show up again and be the big issue for them in the later half of season 4. I'm also enjoying the current arc of the comic. I don't really know where it's going to go but I can feel a buildup to a major death. I get sense it'll be Rick.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
Did the show kill Laurie and the baby? I didn't bother watching after season 1.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Soonmot posted:

Did the show kill Laurie and the baby? I didn't bother watching after season 1.

Just Lori, the baby is currently missing in action though.

scuba school sucks
Aug 30, 2012

The brilliance of my posting illuminates the forums like a jar of shining gold when all around is dark
I was under the impression that The Walking Dead is Rick's story, and the book is going to last exactly as long as he does. I seem to remember Kirkman saying something like that in one of the letter columns. This latest issue has me wishing we could get an Elseworlds or something where Negan and Barracuda from Ennis's books go on a road trip together.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

If they kill Rick I'd like them to do a time jump to an adult Carl as the main protagonist

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

G-Whizard posted:

I really like the after prison lull. There is a lot of really cool story development that went on there. Especially the moment with the twin boys and what Carl does. (If this part is not included in the show in some way, they are fools.)

I'm honestly disappointed in myself for taking so long to realize how they're going to work this plot into the show.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

I have to go now. My planet needs me.

G-Whizard posted:

I really like the after prison lull. There is a lot of really cool story development that went on there. Especially the moment with the twin boys and what Carl does.

There's some really great Rick moments in that bit. The guy is just :smith: after losing Lori, most of his friends, the prison he worked so hard for, and his hand. Rick is pretty much emotionally destroyed at that point, and he has to rebuild himself and find a new sense of purpose.

That bit where he runs after the bandit with the knife is one of the most outright :stare: bits in the entire comic.

It's a really stripped bare, no frills part of the story, and leads really well into introducing Hilltop and the changes Rick goes through there.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
My favorite thing concerning Rick's amputation is how it doesn't slow him down for a bit, it's barely even acknowledged, there are even times he pushes objects and barricades places as if it never happened.

Brain Aged
Feb 10, 2005

Bridle all this indiscretion, Long enough to edify. And permanently fill this hollow
Didnt Kirkman say that cutting off Ricks hand was a stupid decision on his part and that he wished he had never did it.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Brain Aged posted:

Didnt Kirkman say that cutting off Ricks hand was a stupid decision on his part and that he wished he had never did it.

If he did say that it's only because he wants to be lazy with his writing. Rick missing hand means he has to put a bit more planning and thought into the situations Rick is in.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006
I think the issue was that Charlie messes up which hand is cut off pretty often. It's kind of an offensive sentiment since it's basically suggesting that it's a stupid idea to have a differently abled character.

Dacap posted:

If they kill Rick I'd like them to do a time jump to an adult Carl as the main protagonist
What's funny is that right now if you assume the world starts in 2003 then it's only 2005 or so in the comic. So, you could jump forward eight or nine years to present day and have a Carl in his early twenties.

Really the ideal situation is for everyone to die and Clementine just to walk into panel and be like, "Huh?" and move on with her story. Also, the comic is written by Sean Vanaman now.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I'm honestly disappointed in myself for taking so long to realize how they're going to work this plot into the show.

Yeah, I assume that the girl that tortures animals and quite obviously killed the sick people is going to be the person that Carl ends up shooting. It's such a dark moment, but really I always thought it was totally badass and Carl is the best character in the comic. He's sort of a Shane type character, but really...this is the world they live in and you can't live in it without getting your hands dirty.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

Speaking of lazy writing in the latest issue how could Negan confuse Holly with Andrea? He recently had Holly lined up in front of him for at least ten minutes ready to be executed but he still somehow assumed she the sniper Rick was worried about.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

crowoutofcontext posted:

Speaking of lazy writing in the latest issue how could Negan confuse Holly with Andrea? He recently had Holly lined up in front of him for at least ten minutes ready to be executed but he still somehow assumed she the sniper Rick was worried about.

Not that I buy it, but Negan said that because Holly "sacrificed" herself for Rick by taking his place, he assumed they must be lovers. She didn't care about saving Rick, she took his place because she wanted revenge for Abraham. I don't know if Negan ever knew that Andrea and Rick were sleeping together.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

bigmike posted:

Not that I buy it, but Negan said that because Holly "sacrificed" herself for Rick by taking his place, he assumed they must be lovers. She didn't care about saving Rick, she took his place because she wanted revenge for Abraham. I don't know if Negan ever knew that Andrea and Rick were sleeping together.

Yeah, I totally get why he would assume Holly sacrificed herself out of love for Rick, but toward the end of the interrogation Negan says to Holly: "gently caress You. I've SEEN you. You're the sharpshooter. we thought you were dead but we saw Connar on the way out-it was him who fell out of the tower. You're a tough loving bitch but a TERRIBLE liar"

Its that line that trips me up, as Negan is describing remembering seeing "sharpshooter" Andrea AS Holly during a time that Holly was a few inches in front of him.

threeagainstfour
Jun 27, 2005

I love Negan, but my hope is that Kirkman has Rick die in the process of killing off Negan.

Negan is pretty much the embodiment of every male juvenile post apocalyptic fantasy, so it would be cool to have Rick's last act be taking that dude out.

emanresu tnuocca
Sep 2, 2011

by Athanatos
Negan is cool but I hope it's actually an intentional point that he has a very poor grasp of reality because some of the stuff he says and does makes absulutely zero sense.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

emanresu tnuocca posted:

Negan is cool but I hope it's actually an intentional point that he has a very poor grasp of reality because some of the stuff he says and does makes absulutely zero sense.

I think that's actually what's happening here. He's got a lot of faces to iron, how can he possibly keep them all straight?

Unless it's a metajoke about how Adlard draws similar faces - but I don't think Kirkman's that self aware. Negan's been a mouthpiece for Kirkman before, but that's reaching pretty far.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Man, Walking Dead is the only comic I like (and I do still like it) where the art is just... not good. Just plain bad spread of Maggie's face in the most recent issue -- but apparently Adlard liked it, 'cause he signed it quite visibly.

On the other hand, I'm actually starting to wonder if Rick *will* die, after this most recent issue.

VVV also that :(

onefish fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 12, 2013

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Oh man Shiva is dead :(

moths
Aug 25, 2004

That bummed me out, but at least it was meaningful. Also she was probably too hard to draw.

I didn't even recognize that was Maggie until she said her name.

Tetris Crowley
Aug 17, 2007
who wants waffles!?
I knew the tiger was gonna die, but I didn't think THAT soon. I also expected her death to be more bullety.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah bringing a tiger to a gunfight could have ended more predictably. That much was a nice surprise, at least.

I think he can finally emotionally bond with Michonne now, so good for those two?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

moths posted:

Yeah bringing a tiger to a gunfight could have ended more predictably. That much was a nice surprise, at least.

I think he can finally emotionally bond with Michonne now, so good for those two?

That means he is doomed, or he could kill her off. Dating her is a death sentence just like being best friends with Rick.

G-Whizard
May 31, 2013
drat, didn't realize this new issue was out. I glanced at diamondcomics last week and didn't see it on there. I might have seen it but assumed it was some sort of reprint. Crazy how fast he pumps them out now that it's bi-weekly.

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Eli Roth as Negan? Clearly Negan is Henry Rollins.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Why Eli Roth? Because he hit someone with a bat in a movie?

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He's got a dark sense of humor about violence, good comedic timing, and could pull off a great charming rear end in a top hat character. He'd would bring a lot to the character. The baseball bat thing is just type-casting.

crowoutofcontext
Nov 12, 2006

I kind of think Shiva might not be dead, she was never shown to be exactly bleeding. A few times Kirkman had someone swarmed by zombies and survive (Tyrone). The bad-action movie trope in which if a character is not depicted as a mangled corpse or losing an essential organ means that they miraculously survived somewhat applies to this comic.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

OTOH, we don't know that the zombie virus doesn't affect tigers because we've never seen one die in-universe.

(Didn't the murdertwins' vivisected cat reanimate?)

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

moths posted:

OTOH, we don't know that the zombie virus doesn't affect tigers because we've never seen one die in-universe.

(Didn't the murdertwins' vivisected cat reanimate?)

I think it was thrasing in pain while still alive. You don't have to get bit to turn into a zombie so I think if animals were also infected we would have seen one by now.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I mean, we've seen lots of dead animals so we assume it only works on humans reanimate. But we've never been seen a dead tiger, so he could establish that it works for humans. He won't actually do this (because it's a silly idea) but it would shake things up a bit.

I do wonder if there are zombie near-humans in TWD universe. Some primates are very genetically similar to us, and a small pack of zombie spider monkeys or mandrills could be more interesting than the endless zombies and raiders.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

moths posted:

I mean, we've seen lots of dead animals so we assume it only works on humans reanimate. But we've never been seen a dead tiger, so he could establish that it works for humans. He won't actually do this (because it's a silly idea) but it would shake things up a bit.

I do wonder if there are zombie near-humans in TWD universe. Some primates are very genetically similar to us, and a small pack of zombie spider monkeys or mandrills could be more interesting than the endless zombies and raiders.

That would REALLY break the series's semi-realistic gritty tone if Rick had to fight a pack of killer zombie apes.

All we need to know about the zombies is that, for some reason, it doesn't matter why, if people die with their brain intact, they reanimate as zombies, who can inflict fatal bites. It doesn't need to be explained, or have any gimmicks added to it - it's really not the point of the series.

The point of the series isn't the zombies or why there are zombies. It's how people deal with it.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

Cats are some of the most agile creatures on the planet, so I have a tough time believing a pack of slow-moving zombies could ever really clamp down on a tiger. A tiger is really out of place for me anyways, so if it helps Kirkman un-jump the shark, I'm actually glad they've put Shiva to bed. I chatted briefly with Charlie Adlard at a con last year and he said he hated having to draw tigers so maybe this is a reprieve for him too.

My main question is, do zombies have the dexterity to stand themselves up once they've been knocked over? Also, how do they navigate stairs? Seems like anyone on the second floor and up is relatively safe.

OldMemes
Sep 5, 2011

bigmike posted:

My main question is, do zombies have the dexterity to stand themselves up once they've been knocked over? Also, how do they navigate stairs? Seems like anyone on the second floor and up is relatively safe.

I think Kirkman has said somewhere that zombies can climb stairs if they have the motivation - like if they spot someone at the top of the stairs, they'll go up to try and get them. I think we've seen them get up before, definitely from a sitting position at least - I can't think of any examples off hand, but there is the issue where Eugene is surprised by a zombie that's too weak to get up off the floor to attack them.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I really like when TWD zombies behave unexpectedly, but we're seeing so much less of that now. I guess it's a result of years of material establishing what they're capable and incapable of, but I miss finding them in "praying" in the church and loitering around Morgan's house. That had a creepy vibe that the more mindless, predictable ones don't really convey.

bigmike
Oct 20, 2003

moths posted:

I really like when TWD zombies behave unexpectedly, but we're seeing so much less of that now. I guess it's a result of years of material establishing what they're capable and incapable of, but I miss finding them in "praying" in the church and loitering around Morgan's house. That had a creepy vibe that the more mindless, predictable ones don't really convey.

Wow, you're totally right. Zombies with a hint or a shred of humanity are far more creepy than mindless brain-eating machines. Can you remember if the comics had moments like that or are you referencing moments from the TV show.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I'm pretty sure those were both originally in the comics. It Initially seems like "lurking" is a hunting technique, since they're disguised as corpses but I feel like that had a different explanation.

The show added a few instances of human-like behavior, like when one uses a rock to break a window. Didn't they climb a ladder in both season one of the show and the early comics?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goodfuldead
Feb 14, 2009

what a long strange thread its been

moths posted:

I'm pretty sure those were both originally in the comics. It Initially seems like "lurking" is a hunting technique, since they're disguised as corpses but I feel like that had a different explanation.

The show added a few instances of human-like behavior, like when one uses a rock to break a window. Didn't they climb a ladder in both season one of the show and the early comics?

They weren't in the comics.

• Locked thread