Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
It was the first time that Sting pulled the greatest move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Every Sting goes down with one punch, so Bagwell hits one with a punch and then does his pose. As he does his pose, the Sting he just hit grabs him and hits the Scorpion Death Drop. Coolest poo poo ever.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I'm not the one they'll try their luck with
Hit hard like brass knuckles
See your face through the turnbuckle dude
I got no love for you
Thinking about the huge Sting vs nWo feud, it really is dumb that Sting joined the Wolfpac later on.

I mean, he did it to screw over Hogan so that makes sense I guess, but joining Nash's team doesn't seem that much better.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

triplexpac posted:

Thinking about the huge Sting vs nWo feud, it really is dumb that Sting joined the Wolfpac later on.

I mean, he did it to screw over Hogan so that makes sense I guess, but joining Nash's team doesn't seem that much better.

See also Randy Savage.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Why does Sting work on his car before wrestling shows and forget to take his gloves off? I never got that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Why does Sting work on his car before wrestling shows and forget to take his gloves off? I never got that.

In 97 I was never sure what it said on Sting's gloves. I just knew that if he wore them it had to be spooky. When I eventually got a closer look, it looked kind of like "MENCHAX" or something nonsensical, and I was like "What the hell does that mean?" Soon after they showed an WCW Nascar update on Nitro and I saw the whole WCW pit crew was wearing them and thought "That's weird why are they wearing Sting's g... oh, Mechanix. Why does Sting wear those?"

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
Has anyone ever admitted to being one of the fake Stings? I figure they just used whatever guys were hanging around in the back, but I'd like to know who some of these dudes were who were actually bumping to one punch.

birdlaw
Dec 25, 2006

rotinaj posted:

Has anyone ever admitted to being one of the fake Stings? I figure they just used whatever guys were hanging around in the back, but I'd like to know who some of these dudes were who were actually bumping to one punch.

At least three of them were Ed Leslie.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Next Tuesday Nitro, keep an eye out for some fingerless Mechanix gloves with tassels.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

MassRafTer posted:

In 97 I was never sure what it said on Sting's gloves. I just knew that if he wore them it had to be spooky. When I eventually got a closer look, it looked kind of like "MENCHAX" or something nonsensical, and I was like "What the hell does that mean?" Soon after they showed an WCW Nascar update on Nitro and I saw the whole WCW pit crew was wearing them and thought "That's weird why are they wearing Sting's g... oh, Mechanix. Why does Sting wear those?"

I also spent a good amount of time in 97 trying to read Sting's gloves. I kind of hoped they had some spooky catchphrase on them or something but nope.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

rotinaj posted:

They should have gotten Greg Valentine

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Red posted:

Whoa! That sounds glorious, I can't believe I've never seen it.

The Night of 1000 Stings!

OctoberCountry
Oct 9, 2012

Red posted:

Whoa! That sounds glorious, I can't believe I've never seen it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GSRrXyrjUSk#t=180

The long-term build up to Starrcade 97 had some really great moments in it. I absolutely ate all that stuff up as kid and vividly remember watching every Nitro waiting for him to show up out of nowhere to run off the NWO and point at Hogan with a bat.

Real shame about that match, though.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

OctoberCountry posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GSRrXyrjUSk#t=180

The long-term build up to Starrcade 97 had some really great moments in it. I absolutely ate all that stuff up as kid and vividly remember watching every Nitro waiting for him to show up out of nowhere to run off the NWO and point at Hogan with a bat.

Real shame about that match, though.

I can't think of any 1995+ WCW PPV main event that was actually good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

coconono posted:

From a workrate point of view probably not, but story-wise, there was obviously stuff like Bash at the Beach 96.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

coconono posted:

I think some of the main events while it was dying were pretty good, Steiner & Booker T had some nice matches.

Edit: VVV Or yeah, maybe I'm thinking of DDP/Steiner. I just remember there being okay main events around that time here and there.

triplexpac fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Dec 4, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

coconono posted:

Greed had DDP/Steiner which was really good and while Hogan/Warrior was pushed more, Goldberg/DDP did technically go on last at Havoc 98. Other than that, there's really nothing.

Edit: Oh and surprisingly Goldberg vs Hall in the ladder match at Souled Out 99! Goldberg: King of Good WCW main events.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

triplexpac posted:

I think some of the main events while it was dying were pretty good, Steiner & Booker T had some nice matches.

yeah I was think about those matches but I remember being lots of run ins and dumb poo poo.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Awesome, but you can't help but laugh when a Sting pulls off a mask to reveal Sting.

coconono posted:

*Sid/Benoit from Souled Out 2000 was okay, for a Sid match.

*The War Games match from Fall Brawl 1996 was fun, even if the announcers being fooled by fake Sting was retarded.

*The War Games match at Fall Brawl 1997 was a decent brawl, but the Hennig turn really just depressed me at the time more than anything else.

(The last War Games match in '98 pretty much killed the concept, in case you were wondering.)

Edit: Nash jobbed clean to Booker T in the main event of Fall Brawl 2000, I think. The match wasn't actually "good", from what little I remember, but at least Nash put Booker over.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

DeathChicken posted:

He challenged people to putting contests in the ring, then when they went to putt he'd hit them with a club. That is the best gimmick ever.

I gotta be honest...I'm kinda disappointed this gimmick isn't around today.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

haljordan posted:

I gotta be honest...I'm kinda disappointed this gimmick isn't around today.

Didn't we give someone a golfer gimmick in Rarity's TEW Let's Play?

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

triplexpac posted:

Didn't we give someone a golfer gimmick in Rarity's TEW Let's Play?

Yeah, Drew "Hole In One" McIntyre.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

I mean, you gotta figure though after the first guy to get a 9 iron in the back of the head, not too many people would volunteer to take that putt.

triplexpac
Mar 24, 2007

Suck it
Two tears in a bucket
And then another thing
I got no love for you

haljordan posted:

I mean, you gotta figure though after the first guy to get a 9 iron in the back of the head, not too many people would volunteer to take that putt.

But.. maybe this time it'll be different!

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

haljordan posted:

#1 rule of wrestling: Every wrestler is stupid.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Here's Josh Barnett Torture racking some dude and throwing him into a crowd:

http://instagram.com/p/hjrpOPtxDN/

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

coconono posted:

Here's Josh Barnett Torture racking some dude and throwing him into a crowd:

http://instagram.com/p/hjrpOPtxDN/

Bonus points for it happening at an Every Time I Die show, a.k.a. the best band ever.

Paulocaust
Jan 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

haljordan posted:

Bonus points for it happening at an Every Time I Die show, a.k.a. the best band ever.

They're also playing the greatest song ever. Hearing that brings me back.

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

Paulocaust posted:

They're also playing the greatest song ever. Hearing that brings me back.

I'm more partial to The Logic of Crocodiles myself.

david carmichael
Oct 28, 2011
congratulations, josh, on joining every time i die

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

About a month old now, but here's a WWE Classics interview with Kevin Sullivan on the Dungeon of Doom.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The Red Rooster? Is that supposed to be funny? Is that supposed to be...Hugh Morrus?

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Kevin Sullivan strikes me as one of those guys who never drew any interest whatsoever from Vince's WWF as a worker. Was there ever any opportunity for him there?

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

He was pretty stiff and they didn't even let Vader get away with that for long. Well, Shawn's crying didn't.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I don't know anything about the political history, so to speak, but Sullivan was at his best in his regional days when his Charles Manson gimmick was more edgy and true to life. I have a soft spot for the guy because I think that gimmick's place in history is overlooked, but he didn't have a good look and he was a mediocre worker at best.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

I fell down a rabbit hole looking at some of the dumb things done near the end of WCW. Not sure I even looked at the Sullivan interview, looking at WCW's blunders and the Most Absurd Champions of WCW/WWF/WWE history.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Sullivan was regional guy who through some social artifice managed to get to the national stage. I like to pretend that Ted Turner really loved his satanic gimmick.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Red posted:

Kevin Sullivan strikes me as one of those guys who never drew any interest whatsoever from Vince's WWF as a worker. Was there ever any opportunity for him there?

Keep in mind that he's like 5'7" tops.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

CombineThresher posted:

Keep in mind that he's like 5'7" tops.

In the early 80s he was a musclebear, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

his history with Benoit is pretty interesting. I'd like to see those matches again, I hear they were brutal