Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
A DRZ400S is going to be street legal to begin with unless the owner has stripped the lights. IIRC the suspension, brakes and obviously wheels are lower spec than the factory SM, but you can swap out the last or all three to supermoto it. I'd say about 2/3 of the 'DRZ400 supermotos' I see on CL are done like this.

Just remember those 17" wheels aren't cheap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

Snowdens Secret posted:

A DRZ400S is going to be street legal to begin with unless the owner has stripped the lights. IIRC the suspension, brakes and obviously wheels are lower spec than the factory SM, but you can swap out the last or all three to supermoto it. I'd say about 2/3 of the 'DRZ400 supermotos' I see on CL are done like this.

Just remember those 17" wheels aren't cheap.

From what I've seen the cheapest route is to buy a used factory 400sm, putting just the sm tires and brakes without doing the suspension would cost about the same as selling it and getting one of the bigger sm bikes.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Interesting note on the hours. Thanks for that answer. I'll look into wr250x. A KTM would be great, as I love pretty much everything I see in ktm. I just don't know anything about them and there arent many available in my area. None right now.

Don't want to push my budget. A sumo would be an irresponsible toy purchase for me until spring. That said, I want to know what to look out for.

I suppose it couldn't be as easy and cheap as converting a non sm. Good to know where the costs are. I don't really won't to do huge conversions to save a few hundred over an already sumo'd bike.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Dec 5, 2013

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

It sucks but sumos are really hard to come by and expensive. They seemingly never depreciate. It gets really bad in certain areas. A lot of the time the tradeoffs/factors to take in is the street ability and maintenance intervals.

Just comes down to what you plan to do with it, I guess!

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
The inflation in this market is the most frustrating thing. I get it that people pay it and so it's worth that, but COME ON.
The wr250x looks really cool and is exactly what I'm wanting. I can't drop 3+ k on a bike until I sell my SV in spring, though.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I think I'll be selling my 05 625 SMC soon and looking for something else. So if anyone is in the central Texas area and interested let me know.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Edit: double post

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

MetaJew posted:

I think I'll be selling my 05 625 SMC soon and looking for something else. So if anyone is in the central Texas area and interested let me know.

I'd be interested, depends on price. I also have a good mechanically but not pretty 07 Ninja 650R that I could put in plus cash.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006

Korwen posted:

I'd be interested, depends on price. I also have a good mechanically but not pretty 07 Ninja 650R that I could put in plus cash.

I'm not interested in trades. I'll probably be doing an oil change soon and then see about listing it for sale. I'm not sure if it would be better to wait until spring or not, but I see some Street Triple Rs, a couple of 690 SMCs, some 990 Super Dukes, and even a 2013 690 Duke for sale-- it would be tempting to sell sooner if you really can get a deal around Christmas time when people are trying to pay for presents. And, those sound pretty cool.

MetaJew fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 6, 2013

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe
WR250X owner here, I love it. I bought mine with mods from the PO and it seems plenty fast. The power comes on a bit higher up the revs than the DRZ I owned before but it feels every bit as fast. I can hit 97 MPH indicated on the speedo, drag limited. I loved my DRZ too, it was a great bike, but I like the WR a bit more. It feels lighter and a bit more nimble. It looks better than the DRZ imo.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
I want one of these so bad and I DID NOT KNOW it came in such a stunning color. That is a very nice bike and the mods are tasteful. Sounds like you are set to really enjoy it.

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

WR250X owner here, I love it. I bought mine with mods from the PO and it seems plenty fast. The power comes on a bit higher up the revs than the DRZ I owned before but it feels every bit as fast. I can hit 97 MPH indicated on the speedo, drag limited. I loved my DRZ too, it was a great bike, but I like the WR a bit more. It feels lighter and a bit more nimble. It looks better than the DRZ imo.

How do you like the windscreen? Have you compared it with/without? It's something I've kind of been considering for mine. The wind hasn't really bothered me much, but this is the only motorcycle experience I know. If having the windscreen does actually considerably help I might like to try one.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

I miss my bike :(

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I had no idea they were so cheap! Everyone go get one of these. My KTM was/is so expensive! I could have bought two WR250X's!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Cheap compared to a 690, yeah, they're still a $4500+ bike in most places.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Fuel injection sounds cool but I kinda like my FCR and accelerator pump.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

After riding this guy today I'm done with full fairing sport bikes.

I'll also be bringing it home in a month or two, getting a killer deal on it.

cant remember if its a 01 or 02, yz250.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Does that have a loving street plate on the back of it? Because if so good lord

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
hah yeah its regged and street legal(ish)

Baller Witness Bro
Nov 16, 2006

Hey FedEx, how dare you deliver something before your "delivered by" time.
Carrying premix with you and getting like 40 miles on a tank really kills the vibe I'd imagine. Most complaints I've seen are that you're either balls out or idling. I remember my KX250 and it'd be a blast to run around on but a nightmare for actually riding like a street bike.

If you plan on doing track days however I bet that'd be the most fun you ever have before you high side into oblivion while smiling the whole time.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
That would be the plan is to bust rear end around the city and do little stuff with it. My fzr is just too cantankerous for short runs. I wanna say it has a larger tank on it, but a 40 mile fillup is about on par with my rover. :v:

I may track it. of course I said that about the fzr thats always getting worked on.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
CA plated YZ250. Like seeing a unicorn.

(You are in CA, right? I seem to recall you mentioning you were in CA at some point..._

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Fun Shoe
Vegas. but will likely leave it CA Regged as I'm planning a return july-14'.

Yerok
Jan 11, 2009
Aftermarket plastic oversized tank? You can carry enough oil for like 8 gallons of gas in a maxima quick mix bottle depending on the ratio. Plus it's a 250 so just pick it up and shake it around at the pump to mix the gas.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

cursedshitbox posted:

hah yeah its regged and street legal(ish)

Fuckkkk. So jealous!

Shouting Melon
Mar 20, 2009

Isn't it an amazing coincidence that two totally different planets would both invent the compact disc?
KTM 390 SM spotted!

Have already informed my VTR250 that it's on notice.

MotoMind
May 5, 2007

Shouting Melon posted:

KTM 390 SM spotted!

Have already informed my VTR250 that it's on notice.

"We can likely expect to see this “Enduro” break cover next year, as a 2015 model, with a potential arrival in the United States sometime in 2025-ish."

:unsmith:

hot sauce
Jan 13, 2005

Grimey Drawer

4/20 NEVER FORGET posted:

That thing is beautiful man. Awesome paint job :dominic:

4/20 NEVER FORGET
Dec 2, 2002

NEVER FORGET OK
Fun Shoe

Koruthaiolos posted:

How do you like the windscreen? Have you compared it with/without? It's something I've kind of been considering for mine. The wind hasn't really bothered me much, but this is the only motorcycle experience I know. If having the windscreen does actually considerably help I might like to try one.

The windscreen was on there when I got it so I can't anything other than I like it and plan on keeping it on the bike. It kicks the air into the bottom of my helmet if I'm sitting perfectly upright which is kind of a pain, but being able to tuck under it on the freeway is a nice option. The PO modified a small windscreen from a Harley and made a custom mount with some large screws that are bolted directly to the plastic that covers the speedo.

hot sauce posted:

That thing is beautiful man. Awesome paint job :dominic:

Thanks! It's the factory blue plastics but the PO stripped off the factory stickers and had the big black Yamaha tuning fork logo made with black vinyl and painted the white plastics black, so I can't take any credit. The only thing I added was the handguards.

SaNChEzZ posted:

I miss my bike :(

Thanks again for the service manual! I really appreciate it. :)

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost
Sherlock Holmes is hooning on a DRZ in the new BBC Sherlock episode, some sort of I4 DRZ by the engine foley, my immersion is ruined.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Lazy foley artists are the worst.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C-NcOxFfGXk

(Start it at 38 seconds)

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Motorcycles in movies are always given the I4 sound treatment. Harley's being the occasional exception, and occasional donor of engine sound to non-Harley engines.

Nothing is worse however than the Wild Hogs reverse twist throttles :ughh:

KodiakRS
Jul 11, 2012

:stonk:

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Nothing is worse however than the Wild Hogs reverse twist throttles :ughh:

You've obviously never seen torque.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I saw torque in the theatre. I WAS THERE, MAN!!!!

ChewedFood
Jul 22, 2012
I want a new motorcycle movie to come out but a feature length film of the beginning of that Daniel Craig James Bond movie where they ride sumos on roofs and stuff!

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

ChewedFood posted:

I want a new motorcycle movie to come out but a feature length film of the beginning of that Daniel Craig James Bond movie where they ride sumos on roofs and stuff!

Remember when RideApart posted "videos to make you want to go ride" and it was all hipster bullshit and not poo poo like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08-QmfdoPe8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFf7USZvox8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VHaQeY88po
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF1-NB-ABPE

Boy was that stupid.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
http://www.socalsupermoto.com/school_sumo.html
Has anyone done this before? $200 sounds pretty sweet since it includes bike rental.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

BlackMK4 posted:

Has anyone done this before? $200 sounds pretty sweet since it includes bike rental.

I read a glowing review about it, wish I lived out that way.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

BlackMK4 posted:

The guy who runs that is super active on the internet (both Thumpertalk DRZ section and SMJ in the DRZ section), you could probably ask him anything you want directly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I've never done a track day and that seems extremely affordable. Anybody wanna get together for a private track day? :buddy:

• Locked thread