Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

I wonder if they made substantial changes to the back to make that IRS work? What's the possibility the IRS could be made to work in the 2005-2013 Mustangs?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug

Cream_Filling posted:

Personally I like it though I think the headlight treatment feels a little off in execution compared to the concepts or previous models.

Like it all except those headlights, maybe I'm just a retro style honk but I think they could have gotten away with the same front as the 2014 and included all the other enhancements.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Turbo 4 Mustang!! :pcgaming:

I really like how it looks despite the tank commander belt lines.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

Turbo 4 Mustang!! :pcgaming:

I really like how it looks despite the tank commander belt lines.

While I have nothing against a 300hp Mustang, I'm also going to have to come to grips that there will be a Mustang that sounds like this, and it won't be a low-volume deal like the Fox SVO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-s45gg4Wg

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

While I have nothing against a 300hp Mustang, I'm also going to have to come to grips that there will be a Mustang that sounds like this, and it won't be a low-volume deal like the Fox SVO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dl-s45gg4Wg

To be fair, this is what a 300hp Mustang sounds like today:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0y8SznZyhYI

The big win with the turbo I4 sounds like a bit more torque than today's V6, and at about 2500 rpm instead of 4250 rpm.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

We should probably reserve judgement about the high beltline/visibility till we sit in the car. I bet it will still be better than the pillbox Camaro. Also, I love the new interior. Almost looks like a Mercedes or BMW designers interpretation of a Mustang interior. If the materials are a noticeable step up from the current car, it should be a nice place to be in.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

To be even fair-er regarding the exhaust note, the V6 sounds pretty nice if you put a good exhaust on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw5Oauz0uhE&t=110s

And remember, this 4 is a big, meaty 2.3, so think less Fiesta and more Mazda:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UOxhRcXnkdc

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I wonder if the ecoboost will have some extra bits to differentiate it from the V6 besides the engine. An ecoboost performance package or something. I could see a lot of people still choosing the V6 for the initial savings and it might sound better than the 4 cylinder.

As enthusiasts the 4 cylinder does sound nice though. More torque, hopefully better gas mileage, less weight over the front, tuning possibilities.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

SouthLAnd posted:

I wonder if the ecoboost will have some extra bits to differentiate it from the V6 besides the engine. An ecoboost performance package or something. I could see a lot of people still choosing the V6 for the initial savings and it might sound better than the 4 cylinder.

As enthusiasts the 4 cylinder does sound nice though. More torque, hopefully better gas mileage, less weight over the front, tuning possibilities.

Well

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/2015-ford-mustang-official-photos-reveal-info/

quote:

Ford assures us that both the V6 and V8 engines will be more powerful than their counterparts in the 2014 model. But the automaker also provided projections for each, showing figures identical to the current outputs, so it's a fair guess that horsepower and torque figures for the six and eight won't jump by much. The 2.3, meanwhile, is estimated to put out 305 horsepower at 5,500 rpm and 300 pound-feet of torque between 2,500 and 4,500 rpm (Hyundai Genesis Coupe 2.0T owners, take note). We'd take these numbers with a suitably large grain of salt, as they are subject to change as certification carries on. What we do know for sure is that the EcoBoost Mustang will slot above the V6 model, just like the EcoBoost engine on the Ford F-150.

As for transmissions, Ford has resisted the urge to fit some exotic seven-speed manual or an eight-speed automatic or even a dual-clutch transmission to the sixth-generation Mustang. Instead, the Getrag six-speed manual gearbox from the current car will be carried over, and it will be joined by a six-speed automatic, which for the first time will feature genuine paddle shifters.

2015 Ford Mustang2015 Ford Mustang

The suspension has been heavily revised, and out back, it's all independent. Finally.

The Mustang's new interior isn't the only thing joining the 21st century – the suspension has been heavily revised. Out back, it's all independent. Finally. Ford didn't stop there, although it originally intended to. According to engineers, the original plan was to add the IRS while carrying over the current Mustang's front suspension, but track testing revealed that the addition of an independent rear to the old front suspension didn't create the sort of handling the team wanted. So Ford tweaked and tweaked, and the result is an all-new setup for the Mustang's front end – a double-ball-joint independent setup with MacPherson struts in place of the reverse-L setup of the current car.

Ford has put quite a bit of work into the Mustang's brakes, with the base car getting 12.6-inch front and rear rotors, with two-pistons calipers in front and single-piston units on the back. EcoBoost models will get the same setup if they aren't fitted with the optional Performance Pack, which uses 13.9-inch front rotors and 13-inch rear rotors with four-piston front and single-piston rear calipers. V8 buyers will get the EcoBoost's Performance Pack brakes as standard, while the uprated brakes on the GT sport Brembo branding and replace the front brakes with whomping 15-inch rotors and six-piston calipers. The brakes will be hidden by the customer's choice of several wheel designs, ranging in size from 18 to 20 inches in diameter.

I don't understand why the 2.3l is sold in the US and other countries with no tax on displacement alongside with the V6. What advantage does it offer? ANd it costs more to boot.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Throatwarbler posted:

Well

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/05/2015-ford-mustang-official-photos-reveal-info/

I don't understand why the 2.3l is sold in the US and other countries with no tax on displacement alongside with the V6. What advantage does it offer? ANd it costs more to boot.

Faster torque, and better fuel economy while cruising at light throttle.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Less weight on the front axle may help it handle better. And it will probably respond better to aftermarket stuff. Cobb or somebody will probably chip it to 350+ horsepower within months of release.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
Maybe a better mod platform too, depending on how easily and far the redline and/or boost can be pushed. Dunno if there's a weight balance plus.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

I'm just worried that Mustang buyers will be turned off by the 4cylinder and stick with the six or eight, and the car will be the next SVO: highly regarded from a performance standpoint but priced at a point where buyers will make the stretch to the V8 and it won't sell well. But I guess it could follow in the footsteps of the ecoboost F-150 and be wildly popular.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

It has forged rods so it should handle some extra boost and a tune OK.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

I've never been much of a Mustang guy, but that new one is at least worth a test drive. The outside is pretty great. Hopefully the interior, materials, and driving character can cash that check.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

Throatwarbler posted:

Well

The 2.3 should be faster than the V6, for reasons that have been thoroughly covered. On top of that the Turbo 4 Mustang has to exist for other markets anyway. The better question is, why does the V6 Mustang still exist? The answer to that is purely to get the base price lower. I'd bet you won't see a V6 Performance Package like the one the current car offers.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

SouthLAnd posted:

I'm just worried that Mustang buyers will be turned off by the 4cylinder and stick with the six or eight, and the car will be the next SVO: highly regarded from a performance standpoint but priced at a point where buyers will make the stretch to the V8 and it won't sell well. But I guess it could follow in the footsteps of the ecoboost F-150 and be wildly popular.

The original SVO was actually significantly more expensive than the GT (around $16k for the SVO, $11k for the GT). Combine that with a much more recent memory of V8s being the only way to go for power, and the bad reputation of turbo cars at the time (apparently Ford made an earlier turbo Mustang that was prone to vapor locking or something), and it's no surprise it sold poorly, despite being objectively a better car in every way. The original 2.3T was a vastly better motor than the 302 in non 5.0HO form, and the handling was much improved, thanks in no small part to the lighter front end.

Being a mid-range option that's priced accordingly should help it do a lot better this time around.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I wouldn't doubt Ford bringing back the SVO nameplate, they've brought out every other Mustang moniker there is, and a new SVO would be pretty loving awesome.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Fucknag posted:

The original SVO was actually significantly more expensive than the GT (around $16k for the SVO, $11k for the GT). Combine that with a much more recent memory of V8s being the only way to go for power, and the bad reputation of turbo cars at the time (apparently Ford made an earlier turbo Mustang that was prone to vapor locking or something), and it's no surprise it sold poorly, despite being objectively a better car in every way. The original 2.3T was a vastly better motor than the 302 in non 5.0HO form, and the handling was much improved, thanks in no small part to the lighter front end.

Being a mid-range option that's priced accordingly should help it do a lot better this time around.

You're absolutely right. I forgot just how expensive the SVO was, Ford really was trying to punch above their weight class with that car.

Sidenote; when my dad was shopping for a new car in the 80's he almost bought a first year SVO, but ended up buying a Prelude SI. He regretted not getting the SVO later and that might have led to him buying a '12 5.0.

I am excited about the 2.3. I can't wait to see it being compared to turbocharged BMW coupes and just in general it putting the hurt on expensive RWD coupes.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Dec 6, 2013

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

oRenj9 posted:

One of the videos showed the front end with those grill lights found on the previous GTs, and now I'm so pissed off that they aren't standard on the GT. I'm also kind of peeved at the lack of Grabber Blue, I felt like it became an iconic color for the 2010+ Mustang, so it's a shame to not see it available.

The rest of the car is a serious knockout though. The side profile reminds me of a 2 door Mazda6, which is a good thing.

I wouldn't be surprised if Grabber Blue made a comeback in a few years. Playing with the color gallery on the website, however, has convinced me that this one looks best in dark colors. I'm torn between Magnetic and Guard. Probably Magnetic, with the 19" gloss black wheels, like this:

Has anyone found any high-res photos? I need a new desktop wallpaper at work.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

leica posted:

I wouldn't doubt Ford bringing back the SVO nameplate, they've brought out every other Mustang moniker there is, and a new SVO would be pretty loving awesome.

It's still possible that the I4PP could be called the SVO.

edit: ^^ Ford's site has super-duper high res photos. They are way bigger than my 1920x1200 monitor. You'll have to click around to find them though, but there is a gallery.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

oRenj9 posted:

It's still possible that the I4PP could be called the SVO.

edit: ^^ Ford's site has super-duper high res photos. They are way bigger than my 1920x1200 monitor. You'll have to click around to find them though, but there is a gallery.

Sadly, they're chopped up into tiles…

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
This presumes you have ruby, wget, and imagemagick installed. View source and figure out how tiling works for each image. Don't hammer Ford's website.

Figure out how many tiles wide and tall the image is, change the URL and filenames, run each image in its own directiory.

Ruby code:
#!/usr/bin/env ruby

(0..10).each do |row|
  (0..14).each do |col|
    `wget http://www.ford.com/global/2015mustang/img/gallery/music-man/tiles/TileGroup0/4-#{col}-#{row}.jpg`
  end

tile_jpegs = (0..14).map do |col|
    "4-#{col}-#{row}.jpg"
  end

`convert #{tile_jpegs.join ' '} +append 4-#{row}.jpg`
end

row_jpegs = (0..10).map do |row|
  "4-#{row}.jpg"
end

`convert #{row_jpegs.join ' '} -append musicman.jpg`
Huge: http://i.bf1c.us/musicman-huge.jpg

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
There's a bunch of stock photos at high resolution at http://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/multimedia.ford-automotive-products:fna~us~cars~mustang~2015-ford-mustang.html too.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Q_res posted:

On top of that the Turbo 4 Mustang has to exist for other markets anyway.

Why? Outside of North America the Mustang is going to be an expensive niche model (where it is available at all) and I think most buyers are going to opt for a V8 anyway.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

dissss posted:

Why? Outside of North America the Mustang is going to be an expensive niche model (where it is available at all) and I think most buyers are going to opt for a V8 anyway.

Well it is right now, they're trying to change that with the newer model.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Calling it now, its not going to be anywhere near reasonably priced in Australia. predicting 50KAUD+ for the base model with the 2.3T.

Assuming that spec in the states costs around 30KUSD

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Throatwarbler posted:

It isn't a car that makes any sense in any market that has capacity restrictions

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Throatwarbler posted:

What are the odds that Clarkson will like it?

I'm curious to hear how it handles now that it finally has a IRS and a new setup on the front.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

leica posted:

I'm curious to hear how it handles now that it finally has a IRS and a new setup on the front.

Clarkson is a gimmick so probably he'll hate it but maybe it will be so good he will pretend to hate it but make it clear he actually likes it.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

leica posted:

"Well, it's entirely stupid. The front end is far too squinty, like it's sucking a lemon. They've not changed the back of it at all, look! It's the same 3 bar lights as always! The v8 sounds nice, but it takes FIVE LITRES to make 450 BHP! A european company could do that with three!

As for the handling, it's improved, but the suspension was developed by Ford Australia, which means just like Chevy's new Ca-marr-o, the Americans have gone to the Aussies for a bit of sophistication (haw haw haw). :rolleyes:

It's big, it's loud, it's unsophisticated, far too expensive for what you're getting, and still not available in right hand drive.

And that's why it's perfect and you must buy one!"

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Fucknag posted:

And that's why it's perfect and you must buy one!"

Cue massive quantities of artsy shots of burnouts, powerslides, and Clarkson yelling "OH MY GOOOOOOOOOOD" every time he lays down some elevenses.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

IIRC his main gripe with the GT500 he drove was the ride quality, I imagine it should be better now.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Laserface posted:

Calling it now, its not going to be anywhere near reasonably priced in Australia. predicting 50KAUD+ for the base model with the 2.3T.

Assuming that spec in the states costs around 30KUSD

Base V6 Mustangs were moving around $19k here about a year ago, V6 premiums around $22k and performance package around $23,500. If they shaft Australia on this it's for no reason but spite.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

Car prices in general are a lot more in Australia even for volume selling models (go check out what a Prius goes for)

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
LT4 engine.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Any more info available?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I sort of do and don't want them to rebadge the Mustang and stick a 3.0 Ecoboost V6 in it for the UK market. I think it'd be quite a silly decision, but if we could have a 3-litre Capri in dealerships again, it'd be kind of nice...

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

dissss posted:

Car prices in general are a lot more in Australia even for volume selling models (go check out what a Prius goes for)

The toyota 86 came pretty close to US prices, I guess. Sort of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

CharlesM posted:

Any more info available?

Besides the fact that the Z06 is probably supercharged based on that engine shot, all we really know is that a new Z06 will be here by January...and it'll be awesome.

GM's teaser shot: