Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Seventh Arrow posted:

Their most recent album, Fly From Here, was not bad - it's kind of...different. It doesn't really sound like a Yes album to my ears. The style is more like, I don't know, Marillion or Big Big Train. The songs are ok, it's just not what one would expect from a Yes album.

Definitely check out their 1980 album Drama if you haven't already. Fly from Here feels like the spiritual sequel to Drama as most of the Fly from Here suite and Life on a Film Set are material that that lineup had in the works before it dissolved. (Also Drama is excellent. Not as good as peak '70s Yes, but better than anything they did afterward, and Tempus Fugit kicks rear end like few other Yes tracks do.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Chocobo posted:

I'm not a fan of the whole sung dialog form that the songs take
"Opera"

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler

Yeah, I suppose that. I've never listened to "real" opera, so I couldn't say. Most of what I've heard of other "operatic" prog (like a lot of Ayreon's other stuff) seems to put more emphasis on the music instead of the dialog and narration.

Chocobo fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Nov 10, 2013

A Big... Dog
Mar 25, 2013

HELLO DAD

I'm not convinced that Wetton knew the words to Doctor Diamond.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

a_big_dog posted:

I'm not convinced that Wetton knew the words to Doctor Diamond.

The first time I heard it I was convinced someone hit Wetton in the temple and was going into shock.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Don't forget to source your quotes!
I've been a prog fan for at least ten years, listened to pretty much ever sub-genre I could find, and I'd have to say some of my favorite is Italian prog, particularly Museo Rosenbach and Banco del Mutuo Soccorso.

This is Museo Rosenbach's only album, Zarathustra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZZwrc-BNM

The whole album is amazing, but if you don't want to hear the whole thing I'd highly recommend skipping to 24:51 to the track Della natura, which is my personal favorite of the bunch.

Also, check out Banco del Mutuo Soccorso's album Darwin: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOp6hYB0P6I

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

I think my favorite sort of Italian Prog band is prob Quella Vecchia Locanda https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hYvLxWLoRwU

Or probably Cherry Five/Goblin

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?

Smoremaster posted:

This is Museo Rosenbach's only album, Zarathustra: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqZZwrc-BNM

This is so cool. I've never really listened to any Italian prog, but this page has convinced me that I desperately need to.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

This is so cool. I've never really listened to any Italian prog, but this page has convinced me that I desperately need to.

Premiata Forneria Marconi is fairly good too. Time for me to get some Museo Rosenbach, though.

Also, I'm really starting to dig Gentle Giant's Acquiring the Taste.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

As far as Italian bands go I've only heard Le Orme (Felona E Sorona), but they were pretty good.

pinacotheca
Oct 19, 2012

Events cast shadows before them, but the huger shadows creep over us unseen.
Re: Italian bands, I really like DFA, especially "4th".

Definitely have a listen if you're at all interested, the Bandcamp site for it allows you to stream the album for free before buying it: http://moonjunerecords.bandcamp.com/album/4th.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

The new Sky Architect album dropped a couple of weeks ago and it's my tentative contender for album of the year. Here's a shorter song (much shorter than the 18-minute opening track) that they made a video for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3WCJabGRoE

This song has a pile of Storm Corrosion and Heritage-era Opeth influences on top of their normal sound, and a video obviously influenced by Lasse Hoile's work with Porcupine Tree, but the album as a whole runs the gamut from space rock and heavy prog through some more eclectic stuff that's reminiscient of VdGG and King Crimson. It's on Spotify for anyone interested to hear the whole thing.

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I got my copy of the Steven Wilson remaster of Close to the Edge today. Sounds loving incredible, and I can't wait to check out the 5.1 version. Hot drat! Hearing stuff I've never noticed before in this album, and I've listened to it countless times over the years on multiple formats. Amazing work. He clearly put a lot of love into this.

The version of America on here is outstanding. It's all outstanding, honestly. Best this album has ever sounded.

e: vvv Holy poo poo.

Cpt. Spring Types fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Nov 13, 2013

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Steven Wilson on the perils of neglecting footwear:

quote:

WHAT'S THE WORST THING THAT'S HAPPENED TO YOU ONSTAGE?

"I play barefoot, and nowadays it's okay because I have carpet and my roadie makes sure it's clean. But there were times when we were playing let's not beat around the bush poo poo holes and I'd come offstage with all kinds of things stuck in my feet. One night I stepped on a used syringe. I had to go and have a shot at the hospital."

http://cartiledgeworld.co.uk/wilson.html

:stare:

WaffleStomp
May 7, 2007

Cpt. Spring Types posted:

I got my copy of the Steven Wilson remaster of Close to the Edge today. Sounds loving incredible, and I can't wait to check out the 5.1 version. Hot drat!

Did you order from Burning Shed? What comes with the cd/blu ray? Is it the original mix remastered plus the SW remix, or the SW remix on disc and blu?

Cpt. Spring Types
Feb 19, 2004

Wait, what?
I believe it's just the SW remix.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

Misogynist posted:

The new Sky Architect album dropped a couple of weeks ago and it's my tentative contender for album of the year. Here's a shorter song (much shorter than the 18-minute opening track) that they made a video for:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3WCJabGRoE

This song has a pile of Storm Corrosion and Heritage-era Opeth influences on top of their normal sound, and a video obviously influenced by Lasse Hoile's work with Porcupine Tree, but the album as a whole runs the gamut from space rock and heavy prog through some more eclectic stuff that's reminiscient of VdGG and King Crimson. It's on Spotify for anyone interested to hear the whole thing.

I'm playing this album on my radio show now. Kicks rear end! http://www.wusb.fm Epoch is the name of the show.

velvet milkman
Feb 13, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Smoremaster posted:

This is awesome. I immediately recognized the vocalist from Il Tempio delle Clessidre's self titled, which is pretty much the only Italian prog rock album I am really familiar with.

sativa dreams
Nov 28, 2006
i'm really an '03, i swear
So my friend just dropped close to $1,500 on a brand new surround system.(wannabe audiophile) In an effort to show him just how good music can sound when properly produced, I got him to listen to the 5.1 24 bit 96 khz version of The Raven That Refused to Sing.

This is his response when I asked him if he'd listened to it yet:

"Yeah its ok.... personally think dave mathews band sounds better" :downs:

What?

I didn't expect him to really get into the music so much but where the gently caress do comments like that come from? Makes me sad...why don't more people like prog :(

sativa dreams fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 4, 2013

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

There is nothing to be done for people like that.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

There's a perception that prog is pretentious and for nerds, and...well, it is. But it's still the superior form of rock music (along with fusion) :colbert:

I lived in a rural area when I was in high school and when people wanted to avoid the boring bus ride, I would give them a lift. The catch was that instead of the goofy music they wanted to listen to, they had to be subjected to Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Rush, King Crimson, etc. I think they couldn't wait to get out of that car.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Seventh Arrow posted:

I lived in a rural area when I was in high school and when people wanted to avoid the boring bus ride, I would give them a lift. The catch was that instead of the goofy music they wanted to listen to, they had to be subjected to Frank Zappa, Mahavishnu Orchestra, Rush, King Crimson, etc. I think they couldn't wait to get out of that car.

This sounds pretty terrible, and it's exactly how I was in high school. Making girls listen to prog is pretty awkward.

Noise Machine
Dec 3, 2005

Today is a good day to save.

Iucounu posted:

This sounds pretty terrible, and it's exactly how I was in high school. Making girls listen to prog is pretty awkward.

If my girlfriend knew just how much I've listened to my Fripp & Eno Live in 1975 recording since I bought it she would probably break up with me

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

Noise Machine posted:

If my girlfriend knew just how much I've listened to my Fripp & Eno Live in 1975 recording since I bought it she would probably break up with me

I got my girlfriend really into prog, to the point where she's constantly asking me to play Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, and assorted Italian prog. My 7 and 8 year old kids enjoy it too, they listen to Brian Eno's Music for Airports almost every night to go to sleep, if you can consider that album to be prog.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Iucounu posted:

The alternative was me listening to C + C Music Factory or Maestro Fresh Wes, which pretty much was never going to happen.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

Girl prog fans are pretty much unicorns, although the modern bands have a little better luck attracting the ladies. I've been to Yes shows where there were pretty much no women except the obligatory old hippy lady that stands and sways when everyone else is seated.

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

It might be somewhat different here in Canada, since Rush is kinda-sorta our official musical mascot.

Oddly enough, I remember back then overhearing some girls talking and one of them said how much she liked Joe Satriani's "Surfing With The Alien" (yes, I'm that old). Satriani isn't prog, but he's not usually on the radar of teenage girls listening habits, either.

Although I readily admit that Zappa is pretty much only for weirdos like me.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Zappa is old man music but there have been way more girls at the last couple of rush shows I've been to than the ones in the 90s. And not just dads dragging their unimpressed daughters, either. Maybe guitar hero/rock band has something to do with it?

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
The fact that very few prog bands actually have women in them is likely a big part of the problem. Outside of Renaissance I have real trouble naming any prog band with a woman in it. Hopefully it's slowly turning.

nihil morari
Sep 24, 2011

by Ralp

JAMOOOL posted:

The fact that very few prog bands actually have women in them is likely a big part of the problem. Outside of Renaissance I have real trouble naming any prog band with a woman in it. Hopefully it's slowly turning.

What a coincidence, I was actually trying to remember the name of an old prog band I used to listen to, and indeed it is Renaissance. Accidental thanks!

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

JAMOOOL posted:

Women in rock bands in general are sort of a rare commodity, women who shred even moreso. Adrian Belew's bass player is pretty sick though. Something Slick? I forget her first name.

But there are all-male rock bands (not even getting into pop) that draw a huge female fan base. Prog rock is just some totally uncool stuff. Although I think it's way more mainstream than it used to be.

Edit: and although I probably wouldn't call her prog, per se, my first introduction to Kaki King was opening for Tony Levin Group, and I think she got her start playing Chapman stick for Blue Man Group. What's more prog than a chapman stick?

BigFactory fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Dec 5, 2013

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

BigFactory posted:

What's more prog than a chapman stick?

Capes

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Kate Bush was my gateway drug for my ex. Prog, but real poppy.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
There's an Eloy review somewhere on RateYourMusic that calls them "vagina repellent" and it seems incredibly accurate.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

BigFactory posted:

Women in rock bands in general are sort of a rare commodity, women who shred even moreso. Adrian Belew's bass player is pretty sick though. Something Slick? I forget her first name.
My nod is to Scheila Gonzales, who has done some really sick poo poo with the Zappa Plays Zappa tours - she's easily the most impressive member of the lineup. When I saw them back around '08 she was playing two saxophones and keyboards at the same time :)

Gimmedaroot
Aug 10, 2006

America and Islam are not exclusive and need not be in competition. Instead, they overlap, and share common principles of justice and progress, tolerance and the dignity of all human beings.
-Barack Obama

JAMOOOL posted:

For old school prog: Curved Air, Pentangle, Trees, Art Bears, and Amon Duul II (if you count Krautrock).

Actually these days there are tons of folk/prog/metal bands out there with female singers that look like Nordic fashion models. Pick up any issue of Prog magazine and they always cover these British or Scandinavian bands coming out.

Mostly Autumn, Nightwish, Magenta, Kaipa, Blackmore’s Night, Touchstone...the problem is I like the old school bands, but like male dominated neo-prog bands, I just can't get into them. Something cold about it, and none of the songs are catchy.

Sauska
Sep 12, 2012

There were a fair amount of RIO/Canturbury bands that had women but that's mostly cause Lindsay Cooper or Dagmar Krause was in every one. Also a lot of Zeuhl bands.

Smoremaster
Aug 5, 2009

When thinking of women in prog rock, the first thing that comes to mind besides Renaissance is Art Bears. Very strange band.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.
A few female artists that have some prog leanings or prog relations:

Kate Bush, Tori Amos, Sandy Denny, Joni Mitchell, Laura Nyro, Sally Oldfield, Bjork, Laurie Anderson, Yoko Ono (say what you will about her but she's definitely art rock)

Also, what about bands like evanescence or within temptation? Kind of a modern symphonic prog with female singing leads. I thought this song was by renaissance when I first heard it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hn49NpOgfnI

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 10, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Gianthogweed posted:

Also, what about bands like evanescence

:frogout:

No, really.

Also either you're deaf or trolling, you could not have possibly thought that that sounded anything like Renaissance, come on.