Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

jadebullet posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely can't wait to get to build a store display. So far it is definitely a pretty nice job, there are far worse things I could be doing with my life.

That being said, do you have to deal with the occasional neckbeard who will come in and get upset with you that you 1) can't remove the Star Wars guys from the magnet or 2) can't open up a brand new $400 Death Star and fish out the mini figures for them since they absolutely have to have that one guy, but they are definitely not going to buy an entire set? So far I have had this happen twice, and both times it was for "their collection" and they were quite unhappy about it, though apparently I had just missed a guy on black friday who got really upset about us not selling Jabba The Hutt seperately.

It's not neckbeards that cause us the issue in our store, but resellers and parents of children who are obsessed with just the characters. Anytime I see parents inspecting or holding the magnets I give them a preemptive warning that the characters cannot be removed from the magnetic backing and I explain that due to licensing we can only sell the characters themselves within sets. That usually takes care of things, but if they continue to make a fuss I do what I can by recommending Bricklink and the secondary market. However if they are missing a character (or the dog chewed it up), I recommend they call customer service to order a replacement and they seem very grateful after that.

Resellers are tougher, though, but they're usually easy to spot. While most shoppers will slowly browse the store, picking things up, inspecting them, and setting them down to look at other sets... resellers come in and make a beeline for the exclusive sets, like the limited edition 4x4 crawler. They will inspect the box carefully, running their fingers over any perceived blemishes in the packaging, often asking if we have one in the back in 'better' condition. This isn't always a positive indicator, though, because sometimes we have regular customers who are just picky like that. Resellers will also ask for or attempt to purchase multiple exclusive or rare sets, oftentimes asking for more than is the purchasing limit. Most of the time we can't actively deny them making a purchase, but there have been a few resellers that raised major stinks in our store and have been banned by the management for their disruptive activities. One of the resellers was known to operate a gaming kiosk on the other side of the mall, selling Minecraft toys, and attempted to purchase a large number of MC sets from us. I dunno if he wound up being banned from our store or just flat out denied making a large purchase, but I haven't seen him around since.

One of my coworkers did manage to shut down a reseller with some pretty good logic, though. The reseller had grabbed a limited edition 4x4 crawler, inspected the box, then pointed out that some of the tape on the side was a bit 'unsightly,' and asked if we had another. My coworker, cool as a cucumber, informed him that was our last one and that the condition of the tape shouldn't matter, as the tape would be cut by the recipient of the gift before opening and building it. The reseller, flummoxed, nodded, set down the set and just walked out, defeated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

jadebullet posted:

Oh yeah, I definitely can't wait to get to build a store display. So far it is definitely a pretty nice job, there are far worse things I could be doing with my life.

That being said, do you have to deal with the occasional neckbeard who will come in and get upset with you that you 1) can't remove the Star Wars guys from the magnet or 2) can't open up a brand new $400 Death Star and fish out the mini figures for them since they absolutely have to have that one guy, but they are definitely not going to buy an entire set? So far I have had this happen twice, and both times it was for "their collection" and they were quite unhappy about it, though apparently I had just missed a guy on black friday who got really upset about us not selling Jabba The Hutt seperately.

The idea that someone would want to open up a sealed box for specific pieces boggles my mind.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Dec 3, 2013

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I used to have awkward conversations with the dudes in the Lego store when I'd walk in and just browse. They apparently couldn't get a good read on me and always seemed to be trying to figure out what I was there for.

Once I started showing up with a pick-a-brick cup in hand those conversations disappeared, I guess that branded me as a nerd that just likes lego.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Man, why haven't I learned my lesson? When I see an awesome deal on Amazon I just have to snap it up before resellers do.

That rad Galaxy Squad bug-tank was only 35$. drat.

I do have to say, maybe it is just the lack of cool space themes lately (Star Wars is getting a bit tiresome, especially with the focus on Prequel poo poo), but Galaxy Squad has grown on me, especially the bug sets. I still feel it kind of has the same problem Alien Conquest had of the alien ships being way cooler than the human ones, but the Galaxy Squad ships look a bit more interesting than the Earth Defense Force.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

ChesterJT posted:

The idea what someone would want to open up a sealed box for specific pieces boggles my mind.

Opening up the sealed $400 box and offering to pay $2 for the minifig you want out of it, though... :frogout:

xzzy posted:

I used to have awkward conversations with the dudes in the Lego store when I'd walk in and just browse. They apparently couldn't get a good read on me and always seemed to be trying to figure out what I was there for.

I'm curious, what kinds of awkward conversations? We get a few AFOLs in our store, some part of a LUG, others just independent, and I've not had any awkward conversations yet.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

3 posted:

Beyond just building stuff, one of the things I've been trying to focus on for a while is presentation. Don't get me wrong, I love LDD more than probably a lot of dudes, but I keep seeing a lot of otherwise stellar builds washed out in the background noise of everything else because the default render output is just so goddamn bland. Even the POVRAY renders that I've seen cropping up more and more still lack that je ne sais quoi, so here's my attempt at making virtual building bricks stand out a bit more from the crowd.

Looks like you really know what you doing!

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

jeeves posted:

I do have to say, maybe it is just the lack of cool space themes lately (Star Wars is getting a bit tiresome, especially with the focus on Prequel poo poo), but Galaxy Squad has grown on me, especially the bug sets. I still feel it kind of has the same problem Alien Conquest had of the alien ships being way cooler than the human ones, but the Galaxy Squad ships look a bit more interesting than the Earth Defense Force.

The two orange squad sets and the green squad set are pretty rad. I like the ship part of the Titan, the tank seems a bit spare by itself tho. All the larger bug sets are cool.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
Galaxy squad rules and now I'm sad they probably won't make a red team speeder vehicle or somesuch. Goddamn star wars.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Ka0 posted:

Galaxy squad rules and now I'm sad they probably won't make a red team speeder vehicle or somesuch. Goddamn star wars.

The one that comes with the crawler is a speeder that turns into a ... smaller speeder and a flying wing. It's kind of cool, especially when both parts are together, although then the robot has nowhere to sit.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
This is kind of an odd question, but I figured some of you would be in the know. I bought a bunch of Legos for a relative for Christmas and I want to do a card with a lego mini fig that looks like said relative. I've seen a lot of renderings of custom minifigs in dynamic poses online, but no explanation of how it's done outside of a 3d rendering program. Is there an easier way to make something like these? Thanks for any help.

(I know the programmer is an official lego image)

RodShaft
Jul 31, 2003
Like an evil horny Santa Claus.

Have you tried this?

http://www.lego.com/en-us/minifigurefamily/holiday2013/minifigurefamily

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

jeeves posted:

I'm the opposite. I had no interest in the alien ships in Alien Conquests or the bug ships in Galaxy Squad, although I do like the minifigures. The Earth Defence HQ is my favourite set ever and I'm digging a couple of the larger Galaxy Squad sets. What I'm loving in Galaxy Squad is the robot minifigures and the heavy weaponry. What I'd really like to see is some kind of exploration/colonization based space theme, but I doubt that will ever happen. It's all about comabt and good guys and bad guys.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?

Gravy Jones posted:

I'm the opposite. I had no interest in the alien ships in Alien Conquests or the bug ships in Galaxy Squad, although I do like the minifigures. The Earth Defence HQ is my favourite set ever and I'm digging a couple of the larger Galaxy Squad sets. What I'm loving in Galaxy Squad is the robot minifigures and the heavy weaponry. What I'd really like to see is some kind of exploration/colonization based space theme, but I doubt that will ever happen. It's all about comabt and good guys and bad guys.

As far as Space colonization, I think there were a few themes that emphasized that instead of combat, like the Life on Mars sets or the Exploriens sets.

No Egrets
May 30, 2013

That's right, and it's an Armani.
And that should work great, thanks!

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Orthanc build report: it's very tall!

edit: it's also black.

ltr
Oct 29, 2004

So my mom bought me a bag of legos from a garage sale for $7. Didn't weigh it but seems like a couple pounds. It's a mix of Star Wars, Pirates of the Caribbean, Bionicle and Harry Potter. From looking up the unique pieces, there is not any complete sets in it, but lots of bley, dark bley and blue so more classic space colors for me! I think I'll take the Browns and Greens and make extra trees for my little Endor sets.

Unsorted:

Sorted:

Minifigures, not much here and a lot are missing hands. The most interesting for me is the rebel trooper towards the bottom(only missing hands and correct face). And what is up with the Darth Vader torso below it? Looked through my Star Wars Character Encyclopedia and it does not match anything in it. Is it something they did an arm swap on or did I just miss finding it?

ireladd
Apr 17, 2007

Tie Fighter pilot with an arm swap...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It causes me pain to see minifigs with arm swaps, I have so many torsos with cracks in the underarm area I wince any time I try to fix a patchwork minifig.

Pyroclastic
Jan 4, 2010

Toys R Us has a BOGO50% (excluding Chima, Ninjago, Technic, and Mindstorms) until the 7th. They also have Hobbit wave 2 (Desolation of Smaug) and Ninjago wave...4? Cyberpunk Ninjago. And I think a few scattered new City and and Creator sets. Looks like Lego's abandoning the special plastic containers for their small Creator sets; I saw them in standard cardboard boxes.

The new Ninjago evil techno dragon set has at least 6 of the new 45-degree angle plates. They also wanted $110 for it, which was ridiculous; Amazon has it for $88 right now.

Keep an eye out for small Chima 'Legendary Beast' sets. They're brick-built animals that have the new mini ball-joint system we thought we'd have to wait for the Mixels to introduce. They're ~100 piece sets so they should be relatively cheap, but they've got 4-9 complete joint sets in them.

Edit - Also, TRU has Chima Speedorz for a straight 50% off. So if you want to get the only skunk minifigure ever made, now may be the time.

Pyroclastic fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 4, 2013

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Pyroclastic posted:

Toys R Us has a BOGO50% (excluding Chima, Ninjago, Technic, and Mindstorms) until the 7th. They also have Hobbit wave 2 (Desolation of Smaug) and Ninjago wave...4? Cyberpunk Ninjago. And I think a few scattered new City and and Creator sets. Looks like Lego's abandoning the special plastic containers for their small Creator sets; I saw them in standard cardboard boxes.

The new Ninjago evil techno dragon set has at least 6 of the new 45-degree angle plates. They also wanted $110 for it, which was ridiculous; Amazon has it for $88 right now.

Keep an eye out for small Chima 'Legendary Beast' sets. They're brick-built animals that have the new mini ball-joint system we thought we'd have to wait for the Mixels to introduce. They're ~100 piece sets so they should be relatively cheap, but they've got 4-9 complete joint sets in them.

Edit - Also, TRU has Chima Speedorz for a straight 50% off. So if you want to get the only skunk minifigure ever made, now may be the time.

And of course, neither the Death Star, nor SSD qualify for this promotion because they're a HOT PRICE ITEM. Fuckers.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
Those new fixed angle plates are just what I need for my long-thought about TARDIS console project. Perfect for making a solid hexagon shape!

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Just found the most inventive and disturbing MOC I've ever seen

http://www.flickr.com/photos/hugebricks/8261040069/

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Saint Sputnik posted:

PETA's ads just keep getting weirder and weirder

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

Gabriel Pope posted:

PETA's ads just keep getting weirder and weirder

They have been known to talk turkey.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

The_Doctor posted:

Those new fixed angle plates are just what I need for my long-thought about TARDIS console project. Perfect for making a solid hexagon shape!

Alternatively a technic pulley wheel which has 6 holes, and connect a 90 degree piece and an axle to eaxh.

MinionOfCthulhu
Oct 28, 2005

I got this title for free due to my proximity to an idiot who wanted to save $5 on an avatar by having someone else spend $9.95 instead.

Saint Sputnik posted:

That sure is a lot of pictures of giant breasted Lego robots. :catstare:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Flickr rapidly reveals itself as the creepiest website on the planet if you start digging around on it too much.

The Ass Stooge
Nov 9, 2012

a hunger uncurbed
by nature's calling

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.

Turn that :smith: into a :unsmith:, just keep trying - flux capacitors for every vehicle.

Iced Cocoa
Jul 14, 2011

If this keeps up the most valuable version of this Lego piece is where it is spelled right for once.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Considering their extremely high quality control the fact this is still happening is a little crazy.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

xzzy posted:

Flickr rapidly reveals itself as the creepiest website on the planet if you start digging around on it too much.
Doesn't that describe most of the internet though?

I still need to check on my BTTF set and see if the printing is wrong... maybe if it's correct I'll trade you so I can get multiples too. :hehe:

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

InfinEight posted:

I still need to check on my BTTF set and see if the printing is wrong... maybe if it's correct I'll trade you so I can get multiples too. :hehe:

I've not seen any reports of a correctly spelled piece.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

InfinEight posted:

Doesn't that describe most of the internet though?

Yeah the first run, and the replacement they set me are both printed wrong, I don't think there were any correct first runs.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Well, unsurprisingly I got a misprint too. Feels good to be part of the club I guess.

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

Do printed bricks usually show this much variance within a run? Does the way the white text sit so high on the tape on the brick to the right mean they made a new print run but didn't check the one thing they were specifically trying to fix?

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

PriorMarcus posted:

I've not seen any reports of a correctly spelled piece.

Don't you mean peice? :v:

Also, I haven't gotten mine despite an email telling me it went out a couple weeks ago.

I know it was shipped to my old address, since that's what LEGO had on file for me, but I have mail forwarding set up, AND I'm friends with my ex-roommate and he hasn't meantioned any more mail for me still going there.

Guess I'll send an email to customer service.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I got the last creator lighthouse available in the lego shop I visit. It was 30% on discount too.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Umbra Dubium posted:

Do printed bricks usually show this much variance within a run? Does the way the white text sit so high on the tape on the brick to the right mean they made a new print run but didn't check the one thing they were specifically trying to fix?

My friend, you're messing with the messy force of registration. If these are pad printed (they probably are), there is always a risk of misregistration.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbra Dubium
Nov 23, 2007

The British Empire was built on cups of tea, and if you think I'm going into battle without one, you're sorely mistaken!

kefkafloyd posted:

My friend, you're messing with the messy force of registration. If these are pad printed (they probably are), there is always a risk of misregistration.

Ah, fair enough. I was hoping Lego hadn't slid quite that far.