Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Spent like 10 drat minutes with an electric (corded) impact wrench taking off the trailer ball from my bumper. This gives me a better step and an open hole for a shackle for light tugging.

I prayed the entire time that the nut would break and the socket would not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PhoenixWing
Feb 13, 2012

Steering wheel started wobbling today, so thought I'd check out the suspension and tie rods as I've yet to get around to it. Should be something loose, right?

Oh. :ohdear:

The other two are just as bad, and same on the other side, just rusted through. Most of the metal on the strut mounts themselves are rusted as well. Time to learn about suspension this weekend then!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Replaced the passenger side upper and lower ball joints on the International today. It took all I had to press them out, but I did it and only dropped the clamp on my foot once. What an awful contraption.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Did you use the hammer trick or just crank on the press?

I can do 250k mile 20 year old rusted-in balljoints with a harbor freight balljoint press and one hand on a box wrench to tighten it down using the hammer trick. Don't even have to put my beer down once I have the press started.

Crank the press down to a comfortable torque, then use your largest meanest hammer to give the side of the knuckle or inner knuckle (depending on which part the balljoint is pressed into) a love tap right where the balljoint presses through it. The balljoint should jump 1/8"-1/4". Repeat as necessary.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

kastein posted:

Did you use the hammer trick or just crank on the press?

I can do 250k mile 20 year old rusted-in balljoints with a harbor freight balljoint press and one hand on a box wrench to tighten it down using the hammer trick. Don't even have to put my beer down once I have the press started.

Crank the press down to a comfortable torque, then use your largest meanest hammer to give the side of the knuckle or inner knuckle (depending on which part the balljoint is pressed into) a love tap right where the balljoint presses through it. The balljoint should jump 1/8"-1/4". Repeat as necessary.

Well gently caress. That will make the other side easy when I do it eventually.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Don't go too nuts with your love taps or you'll stretch the knuckle/inner C out and the new balljoint won't press in tightly, but yeah, that's one of my favorite tricks.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Let's see. I finally spent some time working on the 68 2002 so

Good news:
I found one of the two missing grill fins to my kidney grill tucked in the engine bay. I cleaned up the engine bay a done with engine degreaser so it won't be too bad when I get in there to do more work. I also manage to clean up/degrease the passenger door closing and locking mechanism so much that it now shuts really smoothly and it more solidly closed. I also washer out the fenderwells, underside and rain channels as much as possible so that there is less gunk to try and get in my eyes.

Bad news:
My electric fuel pump (which has a '05 written on it in marker) that had been a little inconsistent decided to finally poo poo the bed, so getting the 02 back into the garage required getting my wife to help me push it back in since the ground was wet and there was just enough of an angle that I could do it myself. Also, you know, cause I'm weak.

I'll order a new fuel pump in the next few days and in the next week or so I'm going to start tearing the interior out. Exciting!

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Changed the oil and filter, reserving some oil to send to Blackston Labs, and rotated my tires. Replaced the caliper pin boots as I thought I tore one when I serviced the brakes a while back but they were all completely fine :iiam: Oh well, it didn't take much time, only cost $3.50, allowed me to do a better job of servicing the brakes, and I'll probably sell the car before the boots ever need to be looked at again.

I really need to get a low profile jack. Driving up onto ramps just to get a jack under the front so I can get the car on stands is a pain.

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
Spent the weekend banging away at the truck. Had hoped to get the transmission dropped so I could swap the rear main, and at least get the engine raised so I could start on the oil pump. No such luck. As I was unbolting the torque converter I noticed a distinct lack of oil. Hmmm, maybe the rear main isn't so bad. Looking up at the back of the motor, the oil is pouring from either the lower intake manifold or the head. Joy.
Also, there's no way I'm getting this thing up high enough to get the oil pump swapped in the truck. So a late night run to Harbor Freight Saturday night to get a hoist and stand.
Spent most of today fighting with the bolts in the bellhousing, still haven't gotten the top passenger side bolt even broken free. Apparently you just have to pull the intake to be able to reach it.
Still to do before I pull the motor:
Take the hood off.
Yank the intake and throttle body so I can get to the top bolts holding the transmission on.
Cussing
Pull the transmission bolts
Cussing
Figure out how to get the engine wiring harness to turn loose. There is an obvious connector, can't get it disconnected.
Push the truck out of the garage enough that I have room to pull the motor.
Find a half dozen hoses and wires I'm sure I missed.
Inventing new words to scream at the truck

So as long as I'm pulling the motor:
Check the valves
Cussing
Look at the main bearings
Cussing
Timing chain
Replace the timing chain cover (there may have been an issue with broken studs while replacing the water pump a few years ago [there was cussing then too])
Replace the oil pan (some overzealous grease monkey stripped half the threads for the drain plug)

Yay!

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Poisonlizard posted:

Replace the oil pan (some overzealous grease monkey stripped half the threads for the drain plug)

I honestly do not understand how this happens. Working at Sears I tightened every drain plug to one-finger-on-the-wrench tight and never had any problems. I lost count long ago of the number of drain plugs that came out (after someone else changed the oil last) stripped and in need of replacement (95% of those being Ford engines, Modular and newer mostly, the plugs are made of butter I swear), but stripping out the actual pan was exceedingly rare. Only ones I had trouble with were aluminum pans where the steel insert broke and someone just kept tightening, stripping out the actual pan to the point of needing replacement.

Then I hear stories from other stores/chains of people using an air ratchet or even an impact gun to tighten them and :psyduck:

Poisonlizard
Apr 1, 2007
The pan has no apparent insert (there may be one inside the pan, not sure), but exactly! How the hell do you strip this out? I replaced the plug, and the new one was hosed immediately. I was super careful putting the brand new plug in, got it threaded in fine, then it got super tight and screwed the threads half way in. So it's been dripping from the plug for a couple of years. I swap the plug once a year or so, now I can actually do something about it.
I honestly don't understand just what the deal is with it, or how someone could have screwed it up in the first place.

Also, forgot the big piss off of the day. Still have the 2 fuel lines to remove, and can't find my quick release tools. Turned the garage upside down tonight, can't find the drat things. Why Ford went to these drat quick releases I'll never understand. They never work quite right, and you always spend way too much time getting them loose.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Poisonlizard posted:

Also, forgot the big piss off of the day. Still have the 2 fuel lines to remove, and can't find my quick release tools. Turned the garage upside down tonight, can't find the drat things. Why Ford went to these drat quick releases I'll never understand. They never work quite right, and you always spend way too much time getting them loose.

Because they save 10 seconds at the factory.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006

Fucknag posted:

Then I hear stories from other stores/chains of people using an air ratchet or even an impact gun to tighten them and :psyduck:

But that one bolt is the only thing keeping the oil in! :pseudo:

Molten Llama fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 2, 2013

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

wallaka posted:

Because they save 10 seconds at the factory.

Exactly. They're called quick connect, not quick release.

Gingerbread House Music
Dec 1, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
loving jump started it. 11.7v mang.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Those quick disconnects suck, but soaking them in penetrating oil, twisting them around on the line, and using the good anodized aluminum release tools instead of the cheesy cast zinc "one size fits all" scissor style release tool that fits none of them will improve things greatly.

Plan on replacing the O rings, they always get screwed up if there's any dirt or you have trouble getting the line off.

And never underestimate the retards at lube shops, I swear some of my coworkers were criminally stupid. Somehow we only had one oil pan get ruined in ~2 years I worked there, but so many cars came in with "last chance" plugs on em - which amount to a long machine screw, two washers, a big neoprene flappy ring, and a toggle nut. You use those when someone's pan is so munged up it simply won't take a plug at all, which we saw a lot on cars coming in.

We did have to fire one moron after a few weeks when he ignored his training as well as multiple reminders and written warnings to not use the loving filter pliers to tighten new filters. Once 3-4 customers cars came back on the hook pissing oil everywhere from the mangled filters he'd just installed (:psyduck:) he was history. I wish it didn't take that long.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I have a brother-in-law that works at a quick change type place, and the stories he tells me about the people working there and the stuff they do will keep me out of those shops as much as possible (unless he's doing the work).

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Sold my Prizm and got these: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Goodyear&tireModel=Ultra+Grip+Winter snow tires (which look suspiciously like truck tires and not snow tires) and an alignment for my Miata. Now it drives straight and doesn't shake at all, but now my steering wheel is cocked about 20 degrees off center! Thanks mavis discount tire, probably going to bring it back to have them fix it.

Still cranking away at finishing up my Impreza headgasket install extravaganza, got the engine back in but now I just need to put back all the little bits and fill it up with fluids. I'm going to have a goddamn panic attack when I try and start it. I have so many extra and missing nuts and bolts :ohdear:

Also waiting for my 2014 Fiesta ST, should only be a few more weeks!

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
Washed it. Gave the underhood a nice little rinsedown as well, since it was grimy as hell. Thirteen years of filth gently blasted off, and some semi-warm self-wash wax on the alloys later..

Unknown-age H7 on passenger side blew on the trip to town several hours later, leaving virtually no time to pick up a new one en-route. Get there. Oh good, unpaid overtime wait? Ok, a scrabble to Wallyworld, and a hasty exchange in the parking lot later - and I have two headlights. :smuggo:

Now, to replace the other and re-aim tomorrow.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Not much. been away.
got fuel for the Niva and took it for a short drive. It's been raining since last night so I hit the clay dirt and gravel roads / lanes. Fiddled with the centre diff to feel the difference on slippery clay. The centre diff will always be locked on wet clay. Always. First time I'd tried it while unlocked. While very fun it's not at all conducive for getting from point A to point B.

drukqs
Oct 15, 2010

wank wank you're a pro vaper I'm not wooptiedoo...
Installed a dashcam yesterday

Hopefully next time the COC (Camry Owners Club) lashes out at me with a random egging I will have footage to ensure swift justice by local law enforcement

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2qDBo4A668

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I threw another new brake hard line and cylinder in it (rear left this time) because I was too lazy to do it at the same time as the right side when that one let loose a few months ago. Go figure, it blew out its seals this morning on my way to work :suicide:

Fortunately I had all the parts (cylinder, hardline, fluid, brakleen) on hand so it went fast/easy. And this time I knew to use a 6 point socket on the cylinder mounting bolt because they're pretty badly rusted and one rounded last time when some stupid cockbag tested his luck and used a 12 point.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Drove the Niva. Definitely down on power. Found one of the hose clamps on the brake booster hose was kind of loose and lovely. Tightened it and bought a new one later that needs to be installed.
It was running like poo poo when I got back. The idle sounded wrong somehow and it was missing occasionally.

Still it was worth it. Got a bottle jack finally and a digital tyre pressure gauge. Woo! Two more things off my list.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

kastein posted:

I threw another new brake hard line and cylinder in it (rear left this time) because I was too lazy to do it at the same time as the right side when that one let loose a few months ago. Go figure, it blew out its seals this morning on my way to work :suicide:

Fortunately I had all the parts (cylinder, hardline, fluid, brakleen) on hand so it went fast/easy. And this time I knew to use a 6 point socket on the cylinder mounting bolt because they're pretty badly rusted and one rounded last time when some stupid cockbag tested his luck and used a 12 point.

God drat it, that always happens.

e: Both situations.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

I am down to a single hardline remaining to be replaced at least :v: this one hides under a ton of wiring behind the engine and isn't very rusty so I am going to do it when I pull the motor for my upcoming 5 speed swap.

The only original brake parts at this point are the master, rubber hoses (they look great, so I haven't done them yet), proportioning valve, and the booster. And that one hardline.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Slept next to it.

I was going to go hang out with some friends and I guess I passed the gently caress out because I woke up lying on the floor in the garage a bit ago. I think I was lying there for almost 3 hours with the door open and not a single neighbor saw me or tried to rob me. Or they did see me and figured I was dead or something.

Root Bear
Nov 15, 2004

DARKEST SKETCH
My WeatherTech floor mats finally came in, and I also dug my snow brush and ice scraper out of my storage unit. :unsmith:

Got an oil change and tire rotation planned for this weekend, possibly a coolant flush as well if I have the time.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Are weathertech floor mats worth it? I mean I've read probably a novel's worth of their ads in my lifetime but I never thought about actually buying any.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

Previa_fun posted:

Are weathertech floor mats worth it? I mean I've read probably a novel's worth of their ads in my lifetime but I never thought about actually buying any.

Eh, I haven't been terribly impressed. Bought a set for my daily because the OEM ones were worn out, soiled, and coming apart. The Weathertech ones didn't really fit right (hole for the retaining clip is in the wrong place, seems like the mats were designed for a slightly different floor), and I've managed to somehow wear a hole in one after 3 years of use. I sort of expected better.

Tanz-Kommandant
Dec 25, 2009

Radio Message from HQ:
Dance Commander
:h:WE LOVE YOU:h:

drukqs posted:

Installed a dashcam yesterday

That looks pretty neat, pretty good quality on the video as well. I noticed that it reads in km/h though, have you bothered changing that?

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

I dipped my wheels.

That's black with the red metalizer on top. It's very... not red. I like it, but yeah. I'll remember that next time. :suicide:

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
The goddmn recirc motor IS out-its not the usual broken flap. Fuckfuckfuck.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Previa_fun posted:

I liked the ones in my WRX. Good fit, and they looked nice. Price is definitely in the upper bound of what I'd be willing to pay for floormats, though, and they don't make them for enough cars or in enough colours.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I liked the ones in my WRX. Good fit, and they looked nice. Price is definitely in the upper bound of what I'd be willing to pay for floormats, though, and they don't make them for enough cars or in enough colours.
Which set did you end up getting? I'm looking to replace my stock WRX mats.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Fifty Three posted:

I dipped my wheels.

That's black with the red metalizer on top. It's very... not red. I like it, but yeah. I'll remember that next time. :suicide:

It's going to look darker if you covered black rather than white or a lighter color.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

http://www.weathertech.com/drink-coasters/ I wish I had seen this before shipping my AISS gifts because this is hilarious. :v:

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Larrymer posted:

It's going to look darker if you covered black rather than white or a lighter color.
Yeah, that's actually what I was going for. I just didn't expect "darker red" to become purple.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Previa_fun posted:

http://www.weathertech.com/drink-coasters/ I wish I had seen this before shipping my AISS gifts because this is hilarious. :v:

God drat you, that would be great, but at this point it would make me an ultradeadbeat to wait for that poo poo.

Brigdh
Nov 23, 2007

That's not an oil leak. That's the automatic oil change and chassis protection feature.

IOwnCalculus posted:

God drat you, that would be great, but at this point it would make me an ultradeadbeat to wait for that poo poo.

Buy em for next year?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

First I went and picked up a vertical mill from Disgruntled Bovine with a uhaul trailer and my lovely red cherokee.

Already posted pics of that I think.

Then I towed it home and picked up a vertical mill with my other jeep.

... literally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XShI9rL43B0
The crane works quite nicely on the M54A2. Ignore the yapping, a friend of mine was giving me crap on facebook and this was my reply.