Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Personally, I think the Moto Q Prime 4G will be the phone to get in a year. I mean, who wouldn't want the haptic, shape-changing 4K screen, blood sugar monitor, and Lynard Skynard sponsorship? Waking up to "Freebird" is vastly superior to waking up to the Vienna Boys Choir. poo poo, the wireless, contactless charging alone should make every iTard and Fandroid finally admit that the smartphone wars are over. That it gets over three days of actual use on a single charge is merely icing on the delicious Android 5.0 Lemonheads cake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Endless Mike posted:

Personally, I think the Moto Q Prime 4G will be the phone to get in a year. I mean, who wouldn't want the haptic, shape-changing 4K screen, blood sugar monitor, and Lynard Skynard sponsorship? Waking up to "Freebird" is vastly superior to waking up to the Vienna Boys Choir. poo poo, the wireless, contactless charging alone should make every iTard and Fandroid finally admit that the smartphone wars are over. That it gets over three days of actual use on a single charge is merely icing on the delicious Android 5.0 Lemonheads cake.

I eagerly await the return of a legend

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Why? Aren't there dozens of other players with SD support? The point of Play Music is it uses the cloud.

It's nice to use Play Music to cache certain playlists/albums/songs or whatever too. It also auto-caches a lot when just streaming.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

big mean giraffe posted:

It's nice to use Play Music to cache certain playlists/albums/songs or whatever too. It also auto-caches a lot when just streaming.
Does the update allow caching to the SD card or just allow playing music from the SD card?

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

LastInLine posted:

What are you pulling up the mp4 in?

Various browsers. So far the only one that gives me the option to select a player is Chrome. Dolphin, Firefox, Opera all fail.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Does the update allow caching to the SD card or just allow playing music from the SD card?

Not 100% sure, but it looks like both. You could always play music on an SD card, just not store it there.

Begall
Jul 28, 2008
Looking at moving from an iPhone 4S, would it be crazy to get a HTC One at this point? From the research I've done it seems like nothing has come out since that beats it on build quality, I like the look of Sense and over 2 years with unlimited 4G data the total cost will be around £680 which is comparable to the Nexus 5, LG G2 and Note 3.

But on the other hand I feel the phone might be feeling pretty outdated in a couple of years time. Thoughts?

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I believe this update lets you cache/pin music to the card now, but I don't know because I have a device which follows the one true way of 100% internal storage.

Unless you tell it not to, it also will just cache as much music as it can while you play it to avoid redownloading stuff. I never explicitly pinned any music, but nevertheless it's tying up 10 GB of space on my phone with cached music.

I didn't even notice this until I was on a plane and discovered that something like a quarter of my library could be played offline, even though I never pinned it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
Good. Hopefully it also makes my LG Tone usable

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I snorted out loud thinking of Motorola MAXX Championship Edition. But seriously, I get to upgrade my phone in late April so I've been reading this thread constantly on the lookout for stuff on the horizon- or how cheap some stuff out now will be by then. My phone is really long in the tooth, but I can't upgrade for a while :/

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Vagrancy posted:

Nah, update popups interrupting/killing the initial setup wizard is definitely a Motorola-layer specific problem. At least now Thermopyle has posted about it the stealth Motorola employees monitoring the thread will report it to the mothership.

No. It isn't. It happened on my N7 2012, N7 2013, N10.

Google's initial setup wizard is buggy as hell. I don't know why they can't just include a button that says "Download all my apps that are compatible with this device."

I've NEVER had app restore work properly.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

bull3964 posted:

Google's initial setup wizard is buggy as hell. I don't know why they can't just include a button that says "Download all my apps that are compatible with this device."

It would be nice if it had a button for each of your devices and you could pick which one to restore from. My Nexus 5 attempted to install everything from my Nexus 4 and 7. Since waiting for everything to install and then uninstalling everything I didn't want on there would be a big pain in the rear end, I ended up using Helium instead.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I never do the restore on a new device. Don't need my phone downloading KidZone and other poo poo that I absolutely don't want, ever.

I use it as an opportunity to clean house and re-install stuff I go to use but realize isn't there. That's how you find apps that matter, IMO.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

bull3964 posted:

FWIW, after I did the camera update and then the KitKat update on her phone to avoid getting reprompted, I did a factory reset.

It then downloaded all 13 bajillion candy crush clones she had on her old phone over the next few hours without any issues.

sourdough
Apr 30, 2012
4.4.1 rolling out today, that was fast.

stormrider
Sep 18, 2003

Absolut Awful
Does anyone know if the $150 Moto X coupon code is transferable? I got one, but decided to buy the Maxx instead. Wondering if I can give my coupon away.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Is there some reason why text wrapping (or reflow or whatever you want to call it) doesn't seem to work very well on 4.4? The only browser that seems to do it right is dolphin with jetpack enabled, but that makes dolphin unreliable and slow in other ways. Base dolphin won't do it right, and I have to scroll side to side on many sites, or zoom out to eyestrain text sizes.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a browser that works reasonably well for this nexus.

Edit: looks like Opera does it right, also. After some googling, it appears this was an intentional change in 4.4 relating to something something chromium. (I don't claim any knowledge of how android works, but I can understand enough of the developer forums to see that they changed something) I can't figure out Google's reasoning behind this change, except for 'because gently caress you.'

BobTheJanitor fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Dec 5, 2013

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

stormrider posted:

Does anyone know if the $150 Moto X coupon code is transferable? I got one, but decided to buy the Maxx instead. Wondering if I can give my coupon away.

You can, people did it in another thread

steak ox
Dec 3, 2005
you're the milk in my refrigerator of love

BobTheJanitor posted:

Is there some reason why text wrapping (or reflow or whatever you want to call it) doesn't seem to work very well on 4.4? The only browser that seems to do it right is dolphin with jetpack enabled, but that makes dolphin unreliable and slow in other ways. Base dolphin won't do it right, and I have to scroll side to side on many sites, or zoom out to eyestrain text sizes.

I'm having a hell of a time finding a browser that works reasonably well for this nexus.

Apparently Google removed it from WebView, who knows why. Any browser using that feature now no longer wraps text properly. Not sure what the hell they were thinking with that.

As you mentioned, Dolphin with Jetpack implements text wrap properly, so I've switched to that for now. Opera also does it, but the implementation is weird and kind of annoying.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Yep. Camera works a hell of a lot faster for me, FWIW.

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
If you're not wanting to wait for an OTA on the N5...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=2556906

adb sideload it.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

steak ox posted:

Apparently Google removed it from WebView, who knows why. Any browser using that feature now no longer wraps text properly. Not sure what the hell they were thinking with that.

As you mentioned, Dolphin with Jetpack implements text wrap properly, so I've switched to that for now. Opera also does it, but the implementation is weird and kind of annoying.

What's hilarious/sad is that Chrome itself does a terrible job of handling text. Web pages are a mish-mash of GIANT TEXT followed by teeny unreadable text. Double tapping to (supposedly) make things zoom to a comfortable level often just zooms in a few millimeters and stops. If they can't even make their flagship browser do it right, why the hell did they take out the tools everyone else was using to do it properly? With this and the constant mindless changes to YouTube and Gmail, I'm really starting to wonder if Google fired all their competent designers years ago.

d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG

Begall posted:

Looking at moving from an iPhone 4S, would it be crazy to get a HTC One at this point? From the research I've done it seems like nothing has come out since that beats it on build quality, I like the look of Sense and over 2 years with unlimited 4G data the total cost will be around £680 which is comparable to the Nexus 5, LG G2 and Note 3.

But on the other hand I feel the phone might be feeling pretty outdated in a couple of years time. Thoughts?

The HTC one is still a very good phone. I'd still keep mine if the Moto X's features weren't so compelling. Of course, every phone out now will be severely outdated a couple years from now.

Just make sure when you buy it to check for build quality issues, such as gaps between the casing, purple tinting in low light on the camera, and dead or stuck pixels.

I have all of those things, but it's still an awesome phone regardless. Also, it looks like they're selling for pretty cheap on Craigslist if you have to buy outright. If not, then Amazon's been selling them for like a penny.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
Holy poo poo, downloading to the SD card in Play music. loving finally :woop:

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

About me wanting to know phone info for a year from now: I was curious. :( Plus, I was more wondering if the Moto X could carry one into 2016 or not. :P

And now:

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/12/05/download-android-4-4-1-ota-kot49e-for-the-nexus-4/

The Nexus 4 now has 4.4.1! Looks like it enables transparency in the lockscreen. Don't know what else it does.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

BobTheJanitor posted:

What's hilarious/sad is that Chrome itself does a terrible job of handling text. Web pages are a mish-mash of GIANT TEXT followed by teeny unreadable text. Double tapping to (supposedly) make things zoom to a comfortable level often just zooms in a few millimeters and stops. If they can't even make their flagship browser do it right, why the hell did they take out the tools everyone else was using to do it properly? With this and the constant mindless changes to YouTube and Gmail, I'm really starting to wonder if Google fired all their competent designers years ago.

The HUGE tiny text thing only seems to happen on forums. As far as Google is concerned, you shouldn't be using anything other than Google+ to have discussions.

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001

"d[-.- posted:

b" post="422789838"]
The HTC one is still a very good phone. I'd still keep mine if the Moto X's features weren't so compelling. Of course, every phone out now will be severely outdated a couple years from now.

Just make sure when you buy it to check for build quality issues, such as gaps between the casing, purple tinting in low light on the camera, and dead or stuck pixels.

I have all of those things, but it's still an awesome phone regardless. Also, it looks like they're selling for pretty cheap on Craigslist if you have to buy outright. If not, then Amazon's been selling them for like a penny.

Just got my Motox today. I noticed a purple tint on certain objects in sunlight. This is an HDR shot cropped.

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

b0nes posted:

Just got my Motox today. I noticed a purple tint on certain objects in sunlight. This is an HDR shot cropped.

That looks really bad.

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Droid Maxx.

HTC Rezound

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

b0nes posted:

Did you apply the camera update yet?

I think that was supposed to one of the things that it fixes.

Tychtrip
May 23, 2010

We are livid souls
Just sideloaded 4.4.1 to my N5 and the camera is much more responsive. It's not taking forever to snap a picture now. Pretty good.

However, my phone is dropping service and going into Emergency Mode like every 5 minutes. I guess that could be my service though and not the phone.

ThermoPhysical
Dec 26, 2007

It looks like the Nexus 4's camera focuses faster on 4.4.1. I don't know if the quality is any better (probably not...) but eh:

- HDR Off

- HDR On

Penguissimo
Apr 7, 2007

TenaciousTomato posted:

Droid Maxx.

HTC Rezound

Are these camera comparisons or some kind of weird food/drink-based metaphor for how good each phone is?

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence

Penguissimo posted:

Are these camera comparisons or some kind of weird food/drink-based metaphor for how good each phone is?

both

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

What is that second thing? It looks like a leafy nettle.

Napolean Bonerfarts
Dec 11, 2003

by Pragmatica

hooah posted:

What is that second thing? It looks like a leafy nettle.

It is a deadly recreational drug responsible for the millions of deaths of people who have used it.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Napolean Bonerfarts posted:

It is a deadly recreational drug responsible for the millions of deaths of people who have used it.

Huh. I've never seen pot look so ...prickly. Granted, I haven't seen many pictures of it, or ever seen it in person, so there ya go.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Phone-postin' so I don't have the link, but the successor to the HTC One is apparently launching in march, according to some judge in their lawsuit with Nokia, in case anyone's interested

Vagrancy posted:

Just based on the level of brokenness you seem to be remembering you might be thinking about the "set a timer" voice action, which instead of creating a timer converts it into an alarm. So if you do "Set a timer for 1 minute" at the tail end of the minute and the clock increments before it gets a chance it execute, it will set an alarm at the current time 24 hours in the future. Setting a timer for 1-59 seconds nets the same result.

Nah it was definitely a 'set an alarm' thing - something where you'd ask it to set it on a certain day, and instead of doing it as usual you'd get a Google search with exactly what you said. I'm sure even the Google site about voice actions said that setting alarms for specific dates wasn't supported, just recurring alarms, but now I can't find it. Maybe I dreamt the whole thing...

BobTheJanitor posted:

Various browsers. So far the only one that gives me the option to select a player is Chrome. Dolphin, Firefox, Opera all fail.

The way it works on android is that apps send out requests called intents, which are basically like saying 'I have this kind of thing that needs handling! Who can take care of it?' That's what the app chooser is - all those apps claim to be able to handle whatever intent has just been thrown out there. If you set one as the default, the next time some app uses that same intent request, it'll just get passed to the app you set as the default handler.

Intents can be pretty fine-grained, so setting a default to play a video won't necessarily set it for every time you try to play a video. It depends on whether a slightly different intent is used, so you might have to pick a default a few times before it stops asking you. And the flipside is that once an app is registered as the default handler for a specific intent, you need to clear that app's defaults to put the intent up for grabs again.

Anyway, point is that if you're not getting asked for a default, either that intent has already been defaulted to something (in which case you need to clear that something app's defaults), or the browser isn't sending an intent at all, and it's handling the video internally itself, in which case I don't think there's a whole lot you can do

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

The 4.4.1 update maked the N5's camera pretty drat snappy with better image quality to boot.

On top of that, VSCO released an Android version of VSCO Cam (think instagram for snobs, but a shitload more/better filters) so it's been a p good week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

Civil posted:

It didn't have the same behavior on an iphone 5 (iOS7). Or my macbook air (2013, mavericks). Or my GS3 (4.3 stock). But my nexus 7 (2013) did it after the 4.4 update, just not as squirrely as the nexus 5.

The nexus 5 did it on both my SE MW600, which is a pretty old device, as well as my LG HBS-730. It essentially peaks the volume on the device, and leaves the volume control on the phone as the sole control.

It would be nice to have the option to disable the behavior, as it greatly decreases the amount of volume control you have.

I thought maybe I was misremembering (use wired now) so did a search and found an Apple iOS engineer describing the implementation as exactly the same way I recall it working: http://lists.apple.com/archives/bluetooth-dev/2013/Jan/msg00077.html

Absolute Volume is pretty old feature itself. Since it's the headset/OEM which controls the number of volume steps used on the playback device there isn't really a loss a control (at least if it works properly). The just released 4.4.1 update commits answer why you didn't see it on iOS (assuming Apple's findings were similar):

quote:

Blacklist Devices that donot handle absolute volume well

Use vendor prefix address, include hbs730 headset

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/bluetooth/bluedroid/+/a7ae4a1%5E%21/

Turns out Google explicitly blacklisted your LG Tone headset a week before release (forcing it to use seperate volumes) but it didn't make it in time for the initial consumer build,.Then in the week after release:

quote:

whitelist well tested devices for absolute volume feature

We are blacklisting all the devices that are not in whitelist
instead of blacklisting known bad devices.

https://android.googlesource.com/platform/external/bluetooth/bluedroid/+/7850a93

Seems testing/working around broken OEM implementations is part of making it work behind the scenes, which lines up with Apple's methodology. The infrastructure advantage from their legacy with the iPod doesn't hurt either.

Either way the 4.4.1 update should give you your wish. Unless something else gets in the way.

bull3964 posted:

No. It isn't. It happened on my N7 2012, N7 2013, N10.

Not sure we're talking about the same thing, I was referring to this:

Thermopyle posted:

She boots up the phone, gets to the part where she enters her password (Motorola already had her account on there as part of Motomaker), and up pops a dialog telling her about an update to the phone. She tells it to remind her later. After she clicks "OK" or whatever on that dialog it dumps her to the home screen with no account set up, and when I talked her through the process of adding her account in settings

Nexus S ownership gave me ample experience with factory reset and update popups forcing you out of initial setup wasn't a thing. If this image search result is accurate I don't even recognize the Moto X update prompt:

Motorola has added an extra layer of brokenness to the brokenness with regard to your complaint because while app restore may/may not work properly depending on the tide, it definitely won't work if the initial setup is killed before it even gets a chance to activate it.

Vagrancy fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 6, 2013

• Locked thread