Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

Superterranean posted:

goon diplomacy is the best diplomacy.

I believe I have cracked the code for how to win over *certain* dom4 nations diplomatically:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

jBrereton posted:

Her prec is going to be much higher in battle. She won't cripple 14 Fomorian Kings, she'll die before then. But she'll probably get at least one.

The problem is that he equipped an Prec 13 mage with an Eye of Aiming and ended up with Prec 10. She should have 18, certainly enough to mess with some dudes, even if she just Fires Large without casting Aim first.

I don't know that the problem is. But is seems pretty serious. I would run some test games if possible to see if there's a bug with Eyes or Crystal Sorceresses or with pairing them.

Unless that's an in-battle screenshot, because a lot of in-battle penalties and bonuses don't necessarily show up on the units stats like you might want them to.

If there is a bug, the plan may still work, it'll just take a little more effort.

Microcline
Jul 27, 2012

Korhal posted:

So what exactly is going on? I need SUCH A BITCH the Crystal Sorc to cripple about 14 Fomorian kings with a Black Bow.
Are there any global enchants running? I don't know the exact values it uses, but something like perpetual storm would gently caress the precision of all units even on the world map.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Speleothing posted:

The problem is that he equipped an Prec 13 mage with an Eye of Aiming and ended up with Prec 10. She should have 18, certainly enough to mess with some dudes, even if she just Fires Large without casting Aim first
Well no, she should have 19, because of the experience bonus.

If Perpetual Storm is 50%, then it's right, because it'd take off 9.5 prec, rounded to 9.

A Black Bow of Botulf is going to fire at Prec 15, I think? Prec +5, but I'm not sure if modifiers are reduced. Anyway, only has 12 ammunition in any case, so 12 Fomorians wrecked tops.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

I don't know your SA name, whoever had Machaka in Viola, but Ermor did indeed put up BoT again this turn as I received your message. Good call!

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

Log082 posted:

I don't know your SA name, whoever had Machaka in Viola, but Ermor did indeed put up BoT again this turn as I received your message. Good call!

Im a genius! But yeah that happens way too often and im glad i tapped out when i did the game is more or less ruined now.

The Sharmat
Sep 5, 2011

by Lowtax
It's kind of a shame Ermor ruins the multiplayer game for people like that, because the concept of undead Rome is just awesome.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Sharmat posted:

It's kind of a shame Ermor ruins the multiplayer game for people like that, because the concept of undead Rome is just awesome.

Just play Sceleria.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

The Sharmat posted:

Yeah as soon as i began to fight ermor the game just turned to absolute poo poo, grand coalitions against a shared threat are always cool and fun to be in but when you can take every single non forted province of a player and have them come back seemingly unharmed and you significantly weakened theres no point to even playing any more.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Just play Sceleria.

That was mean.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Irony.or.Death posted:

That was mean.

It's perfectly fair. Anyone who just wants to play undead Rome for flavor should be perfectly content with undead Rome, and anyone who really wanted to play MA Ermor but won't admit it deserves to play Sceleria.

It's even worse now that you can't get away from the bastards by avoiding LA games.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's perfectly fair. Anyone who just wants to play undead Rome for flavor should be perfectly content with undead Rome, and anyone who really wanted to play MA Ermor but won't admit it deserves to play Sceleria.

It's even worse now that you can't get away from the bastards by avoiding LA games.

Man but just one day I want to play Lemuria because Ghost Invasion.

Ionnracht
Jun 1, 2011
Dominions 4 is currently 40% off on Gamersgate.
http://www.gamersgate.com/DD-DOM4TA/dominions-4-thrones-of-ascension

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos
Time to get it and die horribly in newbie games, then! $20 was my limit and it's about that.

I haven't actually played any Dominions game at all, though I read the LPs, so this ought to be fun.

RBA-Wintrow
Nov 4, 2009

Clapping Larry
Thank you Ionnracht. I've bought it to now. :)

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Is this game ever going to go on Steam and give us Steam keys? I want to buy a copy for a friend and guilt-trip him into playing but if won't make it to Steam I know it will never be installed.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Decrepus posted:

Is this game ever going to go on Steam and give us Steam keys? I want to buy a copy for a friend and guilt-trip him into playing but if won't make it to Steam I know it will never be installed.

In theory yes, but I think the guys at Illwinter got annoyed at Valve over the annoyances of getting dom3 up on steam when other devs have a much easier time. So no real ETA as last I heard.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
The gamersgate discount sealed the deal for me. Question though, have they removed the commander hotkeys (ie: shift+s for site search) or have I just gone mad?

vv :doh: foiled by capslock again.

Kibbles n Shits fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Dec 3, 2013

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
You're mad. Or you had capslock turned on.

folytopo
Nov 5, 2013
Is it just me or does there seem to be less diversity in good strategies in Dominions 4? Taking a strong bless and running at people seems really strong in the several games I played. The counters come online later and you can already have a huge empire and outproduce people. That or dragons.

NiknudStunod
May 2, 2009
This was released on steam today and I immediately bought it. I just hope the ai is a little better then in the previous game.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Can I somehow get a steam key from desura to activate dom4 on steam?

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.
Rad, glad to see Dom4 made it to steam.

Robhol
Oct 9, 2012

Jon Joe posted:

Can I somehow get a steam key from desura to activate dom4 on steam?

Just put your Desura key into Steam.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Decrepus posted:

This seems a prophetic question given today's news.

e: Desura key works just fine on steam also

TheDemon fucked around with this message at 21:37 on Dec 5, 2013

Kenlon
Jun 27, 2003

Digitus Impudicus
Excellent. Time to make all my friends get the game. :v:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Will definitely have to join a new game now that I have more free time.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
So how do you actually add the game to your Steam profile if you've already bought it on Desura? I really have no idea how it works :(

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Click the "games" button on the top of the Steam screen, click "activate a product on Steam", enter your Desura/Gamersgate CD-Key and it should say "Dominions Third-Party Purchase". And then press install. I was amazed it actually detected the data already installed on my machine so I didn't have to reinstall my mods or maps.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.
To find your desura key, go to the Dom4 page and click Play Game at the top right. Above the two buttons in the popup you get there should be a view key link.

Then go into steam and to games -> activate a product on steam. Paste the key there. Mine didn't say "Dominions Third-Party Purchase" it said something completely generic but Dom4 appeared in my library just fine.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

folytopo posted:

Is it just me or does there seem to be less diversity in good strategies in Dominions 4? Taking a strong bless and running at people seems really strong in the several games I played. The counters come online later and you can already have a huge empire and outproduce people. That or dragons.

The counters coming online later is the big change but everyone going major blesses and running at you with troops that are unkillable without magic or can at worst kill 20:1 of your best guys has been around since Dom3. Sacreds with major bless are just too efficient goldwise imo. It is a lovely experience especially for a new player when nothing they recruit can even touch the enemy and they just throw all their gold away recruiting their poo poo troops accomplishing loving nothing.

Decrepus fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 5, 2013

THE PWNER
Sep 7, 2006

by merry exmarx
So this is on steam now. Thinking about getting it. Biggest question: is the singleplayer worth a poo poo yet?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

THE PWNER posted:

So this is on steam now. Thinking about getting it. Biggest question: is the singleplayer worth a poo poo yet?

It's better, but I probably wouldn't buy it for single player. The AI seems to recruit fewer lovely indep troops, and some of the completely pants-on-head stupid behavior is fixed (i.e, not blood saccing as Mictlan), but it's an iterative improvement at best.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

DarthJeebus posted:

It's better, but I probably wouldn't buy it for single player. The AI seems to recruit fewer lovely indep troops
I dunno, they still loving love to buy archers. All the archers.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Don't know what you mean. I've had the AI build strong blesses, support its armies with well scripted mages, counter my thugs and raid my provinces with well kitted super comba... haha, just kidding, it loving sucks.

And it loves wolf tribe archers for some reason.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Sombre made an #ainorec mod located here: http://llamaserver.net/sombre/Dominions4/Mods/AInorec/

I haven't used it, because I don't play SP except for testing but yeah, it might help. Thinking about it, it probably ought to be used in MP games to prevent the AI going mental on X Tribe Archers if it inherits a player's position for whatever reason.

e: Ninjadebugger, any progress on Dom 4 AG?

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
The first few iterations of Dom4 mods are going to be fun as we all blindly grope about to find whats absolutely useless and whats obscenely overpowered.

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
I can't wait for the new meta to be summoning a million buffed crocodiles, cave drakes, and amphipteres.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Crocodiles? Pah, what you want is a couple of manticores buffed with body ethereal, those are loving murder machines.

There are a few nations that can do it out of the box too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smerdyakov
Jul 8, 2008

THE PWNER posted:

If you played dom3 to the endgame before and you're familiar with a nation and don't do anything weird like turtle up for 50 turns, you'll be able to win 90% of your games after the first few of them. The main thing is that playing against the AI is really unrewarding, because it's always your 3-4 neighbors throwing endless armies of chaff against all of your provinces, every turn. Also, all the ritual spells that negatively affect provinces aren't very good against the AI, because they seem to have infinite money/resources on higher difficulty levels.

Singleplayer can be kinda fun and the AI is improved from dom3, but it's still pretty clearly the sandbox for multiplayer. You should play multiplayer, the goon game service is great and there are players of all skill levels on there.

• Locked thread