Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tony Two Bapes
Mar 30, 2009
Not a lot of positive subject matter up here in the frozen north during the winter, as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ziggy Smalls
May 24, 2008

If pain's what you
want in a man,
Pain I can do
from my 2nd roll of doing portraits for the first time.

20131205-Scan-131204-0005 by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

20131205-Scan-131204-0001 by Jordan_t_Brown, on Flickr

Ziggy Smalls fucked around with this message at 00:52 on Dec 6, 2013

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
What would be a good developing tank and reels to ask for for Christmas? Both 120 and 35mm. Any particular changing bag that's head and shoulders above the rest?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I like Paterson tanks. I used metal ones on occasion in high school and always remember hating them.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Anyone that uses a Paterson Tank without one of these is a drat fool.http://www.freestylephoto.biz/100400-Paterson-Force-Film-Washer-Hose

pootiebigwang
Jun 26, 2008
I use Paterson tanks but definitely needed the Arista reel that has the wider flanges. The standard one is absolutely horrible and will devour and mangle a roll of 120.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

8th-snype posted:

Anyone that uses a Paterson Tank without one of these is a drat fool.http://www.freestylephoto.biz/100400-Paterson-Force-Film-Washer-Hose

I swear some of you guys are like stealth advertising agents for photography gear companies. i've thrown so much money down on recommendations from you guys dammit.

*gets out credit card to buy film washing hose*

Genderfluid
Jun 18, 2009

my mom is a slut

pootiebigwang posted:

I use Paterson tanks but definitely needed the Arista reel that has the wider flanges. The standard one is absolutely horrible and will devour and mangle a roll of 120.

i have never understood this. i use the narrow flanged reels and i hate using the wide flanged ones. i feel like the only one.

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Another member of Team Narrow Flange here. (really doesn't sound right).

Holistic Detective
Feb 2, 2008

effing the ineffable

Holistic Detective posted:

Anyone tried developing HP5+ at 1600? I've got a roll I decided to shoot at 1600 but having loaded it into the tank and pulled out my bottle of Ilfosol 3 I've found that the Massive Dev Chart only has times for 200, 400, 800 and 3200. I'm assuming that somewhere midway between the 13.5 for 800 and the 24.5 for 3200 should be about right but it would be good to be certain.

Finally got around to developing this. Because I'm a lazy cheapskate I decided to ignore most of the thread's advice and just push it using the Ilfosol 3 I have. Actually pretty pleased with how it came out:

Stuck Leaf by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Granted, I've never tried pushing anything before so that might be a ludicrous amount of grain for film pushed to 1600. I'll post a few more once I've got them processed.

edit: A few more

Flower by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Fishmonger's Window by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Kitty! by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Not really sure what happened with this one:

Hands by Tim Breeze, on Flickr

Holistic Detective fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Dec 7, 2013

carticket
Jun 28, 2005

white and gold.

Any good free/cheapware suggestions for scanning and processing into individual frames? Should I just use the HP software? I haven't gotten a Vx00 yet. Hoping to get one for xmas, but I have some stuff to scan before.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Holistic Detective posted:

Granted, I've never tried pushing anything before so that might be a ludicrous amount of grain for film pushed to 1600.

no

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.

Sludge Tank posted:

I swear some of you guys are like stealth advertising agents for photography gear companies. i've thrown so much money down on recommendations from you guys dammit.

*gets out credit card to buy film washing hose*

You're doing the right thing here. I have a slightly more expensive JOBO branded hose, but it does the same thing. It creates turbulence and then forces the water through the tank, thus it washes your film better and quicker than you ever could manually. Cuts wash time in half, too. Less drying spots, wastes less water. It's win squared!

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Tony Two Bapes posted:

Not a lot of positive subject matter up here in the frozen north during the winter, as far as I'm concerned.

If you don't know how to shoot in a Canadian winter, I don't know what's wrong with you.

From a couple of years ago, I'm way behind on developing. I'm not claiming any greatness here, just competence at shooting film at sub-zero temperatures.

Fuji Velvia 50 Late Winter-11 by Execudork, on Flickr

Kodak Gold 200 3 023 by Execudork, on Flickr

Fujicolor 100 1 012 by Execudork, on Flickr

Minus 30 Commute (14 of 14) by Execudork, on Flickr

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
how do you expose velvia in those conditions (ie: all white snow terrains)? do you leave it rated at 50

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Sludge Tank posted:

how do you expose velvia in those conditions (ie: all white snow terrains)? do you leave it rated at 50

Meter the snow. Stop down ~3 stops if it is pure white.
Hopefully, you'll not have anything too dark in the same photo.
Alternative is portra at sunny 16.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Ive just been reading a lot about velvia being rated at 40 or 32. Would it be safer to leave it at 50?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I am so wary of pushing/pulling slide film as I've never got a decent result. Saying that, I've never shot Velvia 50 so I say go for it! Photography's all about trying weird stuff.

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Sludge Tank posted:

Ive just been reading a lot about velvia being rated at 40 or 32. Would it be safer to leave it at 50?

I've found that with my camera's metering rating velvia 1/3 under (both 50 and 100, so at 40 and 80) and doing standard development gives better results. Maybe do some experimentation with a roll and figure what works for you?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I can't develop while I'm down south is all. I was just worried that rated slower it was going to overexpose especially in really intense all-white/bright high-UV conditions like this where the sun is not really a 'winter sun' and it's high & bright as all poo poo:

TBOY1-s by Alex Gard, on Flickr

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

I have a few rolls of some generic c-41 color film I've been meaning to get developed. I'm getting an Epson scanner in a month or so, so if I just want the film developed and the negatives back, is CVS or something similar safe enough?

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post

mr. stefan posted:

I have a few rolls of some generic c-41 color film I've been meaning to get developed. I'm getting an Epson scanner in a month or so, so if I just want the film developed and the negatives back, is CVS or something similar safe enough?

You're rolling the dice. It's a definite maybe.

If you'd be mad if they messed up your negatives then I'd say no.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ZippySLC posted:

You're rolling the dice. It's a definite maybe.

If you'd be mad if they messed up your negatives then I'd say no.

It's 90% random snapshots and street stuff I've taken around Philly whenever I'm up there for first Friday, so while I'd be a bit mad it's not as if I'd be blowing a paid gig or losing priceless shots.

404notfound
Mar 5, 2006

stop staring at me

I'm getting ready to finally buy a scanner too. Is there anything else I might need along with it? Something to wipe down the negatives before scanning, or any other quality of life sort of accessories?

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Yeah, get some nice gloves for handling your negs, like the kind you see dudes at auctions wearing, a can of compressed air, one of those glasses cloths for the bed of the scanner and a film mask if one doesn't come with the scanner.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

Sludge Tank posted:

I can't develop while I'm down south is all. I was just worried that rated slower it was going to overexpose especially in really intense all-white/bright high-UV conditions like this where the sun is not really a 'winter sun' and it's high & bright as all poo poo:

So don't be an idiot and bring some film with latitude and use an incident meter. It's not like Velvia makes your snow look more like snow.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Or just underexpose like you're supposed to when shooting slide films and also when you're shooting a subject that is either backlit or extremely bright or where the average reading isn't actually middle grey (i.e. snow or beaches).

Slides are an additive process, when you blow the highlights they aren't pushed up onto the shoulder, they just go clear and they're gone. I've used Provia in snowy environments and it looks fine, you just can't treat it like negative film because the latitude is quite narrow.

Paul MaudDib fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Dec 9, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Yeah, get some nice gloves for handling your negs, like the kind you see dudes at auctions wearing, a can of compressed air, one of those glasses cloths for the bed of the scanner and a film mask if one doesn't come with the scanner.

or hold the edges of the film, blow on it, and wipe the dust off with a clean sock

Sludge Tank posted:

if I were you, I would try do not bring slide film to antarctica

Musket
Mar 19, 2008
LOL shooting velvia in antarctica. Take something Not Slide Film :snoop:

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
Still getting used to the new scanner. Although it does mean I may never learn to judge a negative via loupe (Inverted 50mm) and lightbox (white screened tablet.)

Cork8thDecember2013Working003 by mrendatious1, on Flickr

AshleyHotelCork by mrendatious1, on Flickr

Edited in a version of the first one without a colour cast.

Mrenda fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Dec 10, 2013

East Lake
Sep 13, 2007

Velvia would be fine in Antarctica and so is minor overexposure.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

Sludge Tank posted:

gently caress the haters. Shoot slide film all 24-hour-daylight day long. You're doing well, and I'm jealous you get to go and be bored at the bottom of the world.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

ExecuDork posted:

gently caress the haters. Shoot slide film all 24-hour-daylight day long. You're doing well, and I'm jealous you get to go and be bored at the bottom of the world.

haters do not exist. i am trying to maximize art. when art is ruined, we all weep.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

There's definitely a lot of weeping whenever you post, mang.

VomitOnLino
Jun 13, 2005

Sometimes I get lost.
Portra 800 may not be Portra 400, but it's still righteous yo!

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
Sup filmgoons.

Started seeing a lady who's into film and it prompted me to get into the attic and pull out my old Nikon FE. Bashed the dent out of the floorplate which was causing the film advance to stick and loaded up some Delta 3200 because it's dark when I'm not at work and theres all the christmas nightlife going on.

(Mostly) straightened floor plate. Think I did this falling down a mountain in Andorra when I was skiing.

Grabbed a developing tank and some chemicals from my old dark room kit too. I think most of them are expired by at least a year. Am I going to get crazy results?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I shot some portraits of a friend and her parrots on 4x5.

maxmars
Nov 20, 2006

Ad bestias!
Awww so cute.
What kind of parrots are those?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

maxmars posted:

Awww so cute.
What kind of parrots are those?

Quaker parrots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spedman
Mar 12, 2010

Kangaroos hate Hasselblads
Seeing as the wet printing thread has fallen into the ether, I'll post these here. I'm starting to get into some alt printing processes, and these are the first few I've made using the Argyrotype process:

They're made using some Foma 100 4x5 negs contact printed with a cheap photo frame and some sunlight. I'm hoping to get into salt printing with wet plate negs, but I'll need to work up to that.