Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I just got my Upland email, I won!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Me in Reverse posted:

Nice!

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

Me in Reverse posted:

You mean "we won" :colbert:

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

I really love Wisconsin and part of the reason for that is that even the hotel bar (all of them, it doesn't matter which one, even the Motel 6 for all I know) has things like Spotted Cow and Edmund Fitzgerald on tap.

That, and Madison has The Old Fashioned, which may or may not be the best WI beer bar ever, but I always go there when I can because they sell cheese curds and fish fry platters and 50 WI beers on tap. It's fun to just have tastes from all around the state and learn about the geography -- the person next to me at the bar, a UW asst. professor, waxed poetic about how pretty Door County was and how all the Chicagoans ruined it 20 years ago while I had a porter from somewhere in there.

That and I finally got to commemorate the fact that I'm in Bell's-land again with a Christmas ale at Maduro, a place nearby The Old Fashioned that sells beer and cigars and has a stubby bulldog walking around and seems pretty much straight out of the 19th-century urban Midwest (assuming they had Bell's back then).

I was also surprised to hear that Ale Asylum had moved to a bigger place/brewing system and the old location and system had been taken over by a new joint, Karben4, which specializes in "English-style malt bombs" (according to their website). I tasted a smoked porter from them and it was bliss; too bad I'm just here overnight so I couldn't pay a visit.

Chicago awaits tonight...

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Great write up :) sounds like a really cool place :)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

HatfulOfHollow posted:

You mean "we won" :colbert:

Well there is a bottle share coming up...

broom
Aug 29, 2005
Maduro is world class!

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

I'm not the biggest fan of NG outside of their fruit and sour beers (which are usually fantastic), but there's something amazing about an entire state devoted to a single local brand. You can walk into any lovely gas station in any part of the state and even if they only have room for 4 six packs in their fridge, at least one of them will be NG.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Had an extra-long terrible day at work so I went to my bottle share place early last night to unwind a bit. Turns out their BCBS Coffee had been delayed so they just got it fifteen minutes before I showed up. Five cases, limit one 4-pack per person, and it was gone a half hour after I arrived. So that was a nice surprise. I also heard one of the Total Wines in town might have some FWXVII and regular BCBS on shelves, so that's on the agenda after work tonight.

The bottle share was pretty great too. A couple of bottles of Coffee got opened, so I got to see just how great that was. BCBS and BCBBarleywine were on tap and fantastic (but not as good as coffee). There were some new things on the shelf and we had a couple out-of-towners bring in some good things too:

- BrewDog Cocoa Psycho - I got the feeling they were trying for Cocoa Puffs milk with this one, but it mostly tasted boring. Still, it's a BrewDog beer that isn't actively awful, so I'd rate it a 5/5.

- BrewDog Dogma - Tasted sort of like a booze-laden fig, but not very strongly. Again, it's boring which makes it a fantastic result for BrewDog.

- Founders Rübæus - Summer brew, so it wasn't fresh or anything, but it still tasted like raspberry. It's the only thing I've found that comes close to New Glarus's Raspberry Tart. The raspberry in Rübæus is more syrup-tasting than fresh-raspberry tasting, but it's done well if you don't mind a sweet fruit beer. Raspberry Tart is a much better beer, but I wouldn't turn down a Rübæus once in a while during the summer.

- De Garde Brewing Lee Noir - Flanders red aged in port and bourbon barrels. I liked this quite a lot. It's got a good balance of tart, funk, and a nice background of barrel flavors that mimic the tannins in red wine very well.

- Noble Ale Works Tongue Tickles - Heavily Mosaic-hopped 8% DIPA. This might be my new favorite DIPA. Huge Mosaic presence on the nose, cantaloupe and tropical/wine aromas. Smooth and drinkable, not a ton of residual sugar, absolutely refreshing. Seek this beer out, it should be available in a lot of places and it's excellent.

- New Belgium Wild2 - Thoroughly forgettable. I'm not sure what they were trying to do with this but it didn't work out. Too bad they pasteurize loving everything they make so it has no potential to develop favorably in the bottle (no I'm not bitter).

- Funky Buddha Chocolate Covered Cherry - It's a cherry chocolate porter and it tastes very much like a cherry cordial. Not my favorite thing from FB, but I'd drink it again any time.

- Cigar City Life Is Like... - Kinda blew away the Chocolate Covered Cherry. This is a great dessert beer; way lower cherry character than the Buddha offering, but delicious.

- Cigar City El Murciélago - Double cream ale with lime peel and cumin aged in :frogsiren:TEQUILA BARRELS:frogsiren: Hey Dontdrinkbeers guy, drink this loving beer and tell me aging in tequila barrels is a bad idea. You won't be able to, because El Murciélago is utterly fantastic. There's no agave present in the aroma, but it's there on tasting. It mixes well with the cumin and lime peel. Balanced flavor all around, good mouthfeel, everything works. It's an interesting beer because it doesn't try to ape the margarita like Sister Maryrita; it goes in a different direct and delivers a fantastic beer. This was probably my favorite of the night.

- Karl Strauss Mouette à Trois - It's their fruitcake beer. They set out to intentionally make a beer that tastes like dayglo-green candied pineapple. They achieved that goal. Whether that's laudable or a crime against nature is an exercise left to the reader (or taster, but you have been warned).

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004

bartolimu posted:

- Cigar City El Murciélago - Double cream ale with lime peel and cumin aged in :frogsiren:TEQUILA BARRELS:frogsiren: Hey Dontdrinkbeers guy, drink this loving beer and tell me aging in tequila barrels is a bad idea. You won't be able to, because El Murciélago is utterly fantastic. There's no agave present in the aroma, but it's there on tasting. It mixes well with the cumin and lime peel. Balanced flavor all around, good mouthfeel, everything works. It's an interesting beer because it doesn't try to ape the margarita like Sister Maryrita; it goes in a different direct and delivers a fantastic beer. This was probably my favorite of the night.

This beer always reminds me of this particular BA review.

Some BA Review posted:

Bottle at CCB.

A - Pours a burnt orange color, off-white colored head, sticky lacing, thin collar, thin cap.

S - This bottle was opened with 5 other guys. Upon my initial sniff, one thing came to mind. I glanced around at the other guys and gauged what they were thinking. I said, "It smells like a certain thing." AgentZero then spoke up and said "I'm not going to say what this beer smells like." Right away, I knew exactly what he was thinking. This beer smells like vagina...no lie.

T - After the smell, it's nearly impossible to pick out anything else. It tastes like vagina. Sip after sip, I couldn't stop. :-) I thought about chugging the rest of the bottle, then thought better.

M - Medium body, good carbonation, creamy feel.

O - I bought 6 cases after I tried this...okay, kidding. Seriously though, it smells and tastes like vagina. Is this good or bad? I guess it depends on how you roll, homies. Very...unique? I guess I could have given the taste/smell of vagina a 4.5, but not really sure I could drink pour after pour of it. Maybe I'm not all man?

I like one of those two things. I'll pass next time on the beer.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!
Did anybody win the Upland lottery?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

...ISO Murcielago...

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Kudosx posted:

Did anybody win the Upland lottery?

Strange thing is that some of the emails went out yesterday and I thought I was a loser...then I got an email this morning saying I won, but it was dated yesterday. Bizarre.

Kudosx
Jun 6, 2006

it's raining zerglings!

crazyfish posted:

Strange thing is that some of the emails went out yesterday and I thought I was a loser...then I got an email this morning saying I won, but it was dated yesterday. Bizarre.

Same thing happened to a coworker of mine. If anyone ends up going down to pick any up, let me know... I'd hook you up if you proxied for us!

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

atothesquiz posted:

...now I want the Dontdrinkbeers guy to review it even more.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Chicagoons, SUPER HASSLER and I are meeting up at Local Option sometime around 8 tonight, come on out and hang with us! LeafHouse or Ubik, let me know if either of you are planning to go so I can bring your Upland bottles from the last lottery.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I loved that Lee Noir. It was better than Vin Rougie imo.

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

ChickenArise posted:

I loved that Lee Noir. It was better than Vin Rougie imo.

I have one of those as well, might crack it open soon to compare. I like the idea of fermenting with grapes but it rarely pans out as well as I'd hoped.

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS

bartolimu posted:

I have one of those as well, might crack it open soon to compare. I like the idea of fermenting with grapes but it rarely pans out as well as I'd hoped.

I thought you might. Our mutual acquaintance recommended that I try the Rougie first, and I did like it a lot, but when it's grapes vs. port/bourbon, there's going to almost always be a clear winner for me. I'm tempted to try and get my hands on a Mulligan, which I've only had on tap, but I think it'd be a bad investment for me at this point.

LeafHouse
Apr 22, 2008

That's what you get for not hailing to the chimp!

Woohoo I won the Upland lottery! Now I have an excuse to take a nice drive to scenic Indianapolis.

crazyfish posted:

Chicagoons, SUPER HASSLER and I are meeting up at Local Option sometime around 8 tonight, come on out and hang with us! LeafHouse or Ubik, let me know if either of you are planning to go so I can bring your Upland bottles from the last lottery.

Are you guys still doing Revolution tomorrow? If not I'll meet up with you tonight 100% otherwise I gotta think about it.

LeafHouse fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 5, 2013

Hamhandler
Aug 9, 2008

[I want to] shit in your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your fucking mouth. [I'm going to] slap your real mother across the face [laughter]. Fuck you, you're still a rookie. I'll kill you.

atothesquiz posted:

I've seen someone have the same kind of reaction to a pineapple(?) berliner. She was convinced that it smelled just like dirty panties.

She still drank it, though.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

LeafHouse posted:

Woohoo I won the Upland lottery! Now I have an excuse to take a nice drive to scenic Indianapolis.

Are you guys still doing Revolution tomorrow? If not I'll meet up with you tonight 100% otherwise I gotta think about it.

I have a work function that will last to some unknown time near Lincoln Park and the taproom closes at 11, so I may be cutting it a bit close, but I will let you and SUPER HASSLER know what winds up happening.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

So I'm on the phone with Holiday Wine Cellar (they forgot to email me a receipt) and they just told me about this code to get free shipping on orders over $100: FSHWC100
The code's valid until the end of the year. Actually I just looked and their front page has a big ad for it as well.

And I just bought 10 bottles of Bomb too god loving dammit... :rip:

e: NC goons, I have a friend in Raleigh who I will dispatch to go beer shopping. Where should I send him? What's been good on shelves lately over there? Looks like Event Horizon and Silent Night both just got released.

air- fucked around with this message at 22:14 on Dec 5, 2013

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus

bartolimu posted:

BrewDog Cocoa Psycho - I got the feeling they were trying for Cocoa Puffs milk with this one, but it mostly tasted boring. Still, it's a BrewDog beer that isn't actively awful, so I'd rate it a 5/5.

I got one of these in a brewdog 4-pack. It tastes like a car bomb where you go all out on the baileys and skip the whiskey, with alot of artificial sweetener.

The other beers in the 4 pack were
Jack Hammer: Pretty good dipa.
Dead pony ale?: It tastes just like punk ipa, only it's 4% abv. If it was cheaper I could easily spend a night drinking it.
Edgy name black ipa: Bland as gently caress, but I'm not black ipa fan.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Chicagoons, Bottles and Cans is doing a purchase raffle for BCBS variants on Saturday at noon. Prices are very fair at 20 bucks for bombers and 5.50 for barleywine singles (no coffee). Arrive between 11 and 11:59 to get a ticket.

Retemnav
Mar 20, 2007
Then I'd certainly be a damned fool to feel any other way, wouldn't I?

air- posted:

So I'm on the phone with Holiday Wine Cellar (they forgot to email me a receipt) and they just told me about this code to get free shipping on orders over $100: FSHWC100
The code's valid until the end of the year. Actually I just looked and their front page has a big ad for it as well.

And I just bought 10 bottles of Bomb too god loving dammit... :rip:

e: NC goons, I have a friend in Raleigh who I will dispatch to go beer shopping. Where should I send him? What's been good on shelves lately over there? Looks like Event Horizon and Silent Night both just got released.

Tasty Beverage Co
Bottle Revolution
Sam's Quik Shop (Durham)

I put Sam's on there cuz it's the only one I've actually been inside and they've got a huge selection, but the other 2 I hear mentioned pretty often.

EV and Silent Night are out, not sure how quick EV went in Raleigh but you can probably still find it (Total Wine usually gets some too if the bottle shops are out). Olde Hickory's Irish Walker barley wine (silver at GABF this year) is out right now too and worth picking up. Don't know if you got the BCBS variants, but those seem to be hitting today through possibly Wed., so you could get lucky there.

NoDa's Hop Drop n' Roll just started getting canned and fresh it's a pretty great IPA, very piney/dank.

FullSteam's First Frost should still be on the shelves and is a very interesting beer, made with NC figs they buy from their customers. The version out this year is actually 2012's, because they are switching to aging the beer 1 year before release so they can release in early fall instead of almost winter. Had a bottle of last years and picked up 4 more immediately, it's very good.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Cigar City is selling Lactobacillus Guava Grove American Sour Guava Ale. $9 per 750mL, no bottle limit. Tasting room only.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Dec 5, 2013

Bucky_Grid
Jul 21, 2007
So, not sure how many DFW goons are in the thread, but thought I'd give a heads up. AB Beer and Wine in Rockwall has The Abyss and Prairie Bomb available. The Abyss is limit one (two if you're a regular :cool: ) Prairie Bomb is unlimited. The owner is also pretty confident he'll be getting BCBS in the next couple of weeks.

It's a small place out in the middle of nowhere, but if you're nearby (I'm literally like 5 minutes away) or are looking for some hard to find stuff it's definitely worth checking out as he tends to get almost all of the limited release stuff that makes its way to Texas.

air-
Sep 24, 2007

Who will win the greatest battle of them all?

Retemnav posted:

Tasty Beverage Co
Bottle Revolution
Sam's Quik Shop (Durham)

I put Sam's on there cuz it's the only one I've actually been inside and they've got a huge selection, but the other 2 I hear mentioned pretty often.

EV and Silent Night are out, not sure how quick EV went in Raleigh but you can probably still find it (Total Wine usually gets some too if the bottle shops are out). Olde Hickory's Irish Walker barley wine (silver at GABF this year) is out right now too and worth picking up. Don't know if you got the BCBS variants, but those seem to be hitting today through possibly Wed., so you could get lucky there.

NoDa's Hop Drop n' Roll just started getting canned and fresh it's a pretty great IPA, very piney/dank.

FullSteam's First Frost should still be on the shelves and is a very interesting beer, made with NC figs they buy from their customers. The version out this year is actually 2012's, because they are switching to aging the beer 1 year before release so they can release in early fall instead of almost winter. Had a bottle of last years and picked up 4 more immediately, it's very good.

Thanks a ton. I actually wasn't sure about NoDa at all and I'll have my buddy look out for BCBS variants. Really hoping for any at all, I think all Texas will have are coffee/barleywine.

Bucky_Grid posted:

So, not sure how many DFW goons are in the thread, but thought I'd give a heads up. AB Beer and Wine in Rockwall has The Abyss and Prairie Bomb available. The Abyss is limit one (two if you're a regular :cool: ) Prairie Bomb is unlimited. The owner is also pretty confident he'll be getting BCBS in the next couple of weeks.

It's a small place out in the middle of nowhere, but if you're nearby (I'm literally like 5 minutes away) or are looking for some hard to find stuff it's definitely worth checking out as he tends to get almost all of the limited release stuff that makes its way to Texas.

Thanks a ton, I will brave icemageddon this weekend and haul rear end out there.

Don't recall seeing you in the thread before... you participate in any regular bottle shares? Come join us. My regular hangouts are WBC, The Libertine, Common Table, and Craft and Growler.

umop apisdn
May 22, 2003
upside down
Don't think I'll be able to head out to Local Option tonight, but I am planning on heading to the Lincoln Park whole foods after work with a buddy tomorrow, and then hitting up the Revolution tap room afterward for the Gene release.
I would love to meet up with you guys there.

SUPER HASSLER
Jan 31, 2005

LeafHouse posted:

Yeah I should be at Revo tomorrow (and maybe that GI thing at whole foods too, haven't had any bcbs this year).

Looks like there's this joint right by my hotel, and if that's considered a 2nd-tier taplist by Chicago standards then this is plainly a pretty happenin' city.

SUPER HASSLER fucked around with this message at 00:39 on Dec 6, 2013

nah
Mar 16, 2009

Me in Reverse posted:

Cigar City is selling Lactobacillus Guava Grove American Sour Guava Ale. $9 per 750mL, no bottle limit. Tasting room only.

I gotta say this is the best deal you'll find on a sour beer that's actually good, do I expect to see these guys sell very quickly.

Also you heard it here first: latest tests on Amplitude have also failed, so bottles will not be released. Most likely we will just open a bunch up in the tasting room soon and see how that goes. Stay tuned.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

SUPER HASSLER posted:

Yeah I should be at Revo tomorrow (and maybe that GI thing at whole foods too, haven't had any bcbs this year).

Looks like there's this joint right by my hotel, and if that's considered a 2nd-tier taplist by Chicago standards then this is plainly a pretty happenin' city.

I'd honestly consider it even less than second tier. It feels like they're just throwing a bunch of year-rounds on a list and saying "hey 90 beers on tap!" and then charging Old Town prices for the priviledge. I can't say this enough, but I love Local Option not just because of their quantity of taps but the fact that they know their consumer base and try to whip out kegs from places you didn't even know existed, see the random kegs from Scratch Brewing (the BA apricot braggot was amazing).

edit: I'd much rather have a bar with 10 taps that puts thought into everything they do rather than a bar that has infinite selection. Even if it's 10 year rounds, I'd go to this kind of place becuase the beer they have is going to turn over quicker and be fresher in general given the same crowd.

crazyfish fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Dec 6, 2013

TenaciousTomato
Jul 17, 2007

Interworld and the New Innocence
Scored a Velvet Merkin, 3x Coffee BCBS, 2x Barleywine and a 22 oz of the Backyard Rye. This never happens to me.

Bucky_Grid
Jul 21, 2007

air- posted:

Thanks a ton, I will brave icemageddon this weekend and haul rear end out there.

Don't recall seeing you in the thread before... you participate in any regular bottle shares? Come join us. My regular hangouts are WBC, The Libertine, Common Table, and Craft and Growler.

Long time lurker in the thread, but no, I haven't posted here before.

Godspeed on your trek, you're a braver man than I! Bear in mind, he does mark things up there, but I'm pretty sure it's just a $1 markup on an item compared to like Total Wine. Which isn't bad, if you're like me you'll take what you can get in North Texas. I think I ended up paying $8.99 per Prairie Bomb.

Haven't participated in any bottle shares, wouldn't be opposed to it. I go to Craft and Growler when I'm in the area, none of the others unfortunately, the wife and I usually go to the Saucer on the Lake cause it's close.

danbanana
Jun 7, 2008

OG Bell's fanboi

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I gotta say this is the best deal you'll find on a sour beer that's actually good, do I expect to see these guys sell very quickly.

Ahem. $10 a 4 pack.

Corb3t
Jun 7, 2003

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

Also you heard it here first: latest tests on Amplitude have also failed, so bottles will not be released. Most likely we will just open a bunch up in the tasting room soon and see how that goes. Stay tuned.

Lacto Guava Grove going to be distributed at all?

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

XxGirlKisserxX posted:

I am very much tuned, I want to drink that so badly.

krustster
Mar 26, 2007

But I hope you leave enough room for my fist, because I'm going to ram it into your stomach!!!
Yeeeahhh man... yeahhhhh.. yeeaaahhhh OHHHHHH god man, I got two Sweet Reputes for $16.99 tonight and convinced a random stranger to buy one as well. I thought about buying 3 or 4 but... well, money. And also I wanted some other random strangers to get a chance to try it too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you