Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Smerdyakov posted:

Also, all the ritual spells that negatively affect provinces aren't very good against the AI, because they seem to have infinite money/resources on higher difficulty levels.

That's because they do. "Difficulty" is just a gold/resources multiplier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

You can still cripple their fort recruitment with unrest, it just doesn't make that much difference since their armies are mostly chumps* from the provinces.

*Wolf Tribe archers.

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
To expand on that, don't be afraid to play multi-player because you're "bad" or afraid of losing, everyone loses more than they win, just give yourself a goal (take a good dual bless, murder the first neighbor you run into, for example) or gimmick (take a Freak Lord, make heavy use of cross breeding) and go for it. You'll have more fun than trying to minmax the best possible way to win (there isn't one).

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009
Yeah you dont need to approach every game like a starcraft tournament match, play around do something cool if it doesnt work well then that doesnt matter and you probably learn something about the nuances of the game anyway. It took me i think about 4-5 games before i won my first dom3 MP match and it was with a supremely inefficient and horrible pretender design.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012
And if someone does attack you, fight bitterly to the death. Expend all your resources trying to harm your attackers. If you can hurt them enough, perhaps someone else will be able tp destroy them.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED
I just look at the replays and see all the fast-and-furious backstabs, political moves, and out-of-game diplomacy. While the game looks pretty great, and that sort of thing seems fun to a degree, I just wanna do my thing, not be expected/required to make shady deals on IRC to survive, and not get massacred or dragged into Diplomacy-style machinations every time I'm trying to learn something or be on my own. Is there space to just be like "yo, make me an offer and I'll help you out and lose FOR you in exchange for you helping me not get hosed over by other people"? Isn't there a new mode where it's two teams, and the leaders are the ones who win proper if the teams win?

I just don't wanna be that poor dude who starts next to Flavahbeast or whoever and only gets the experience of tasting curb and boot over and over.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's plenty of newbie games and also crazy disciple gimmicks.

LordLeckie
Nov 14, 2009

sullat posted:

And if someone does attack you, fight bitterly to the death. Expend all your resources trying to harm your attackers. If you can hurt them enough, perhaps someone else will be able tp destroy them.

This is also very important.

Daeren the diplo is one of the most fun parts of the game and isnt stupidly complex or formal or anything like that it can be as simple as asking a neighbour on IRC if they want to trade you an item or gems etc. And yes there is the new disciples mode where you can take shelter within your team mates protection and support.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010
How fun is this to mess around with singleplayer? That said a team gamemode sounds awesome

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Pladdicus posted:

How fun is this to mess around with singleplayer? That said a team gamemode sounds awesome

It isn't. If you aren't going to play multiplayer you're better off not buying the game.

There isn't a demo for Dominions 4 but I think there's one for Dominions 3 still floating around and it's close enough to inform your decision if you want.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
To be fair I enjoyed Dominions SP exactly until the moment I got into a multiplayer game.

King of Bleh
Mar 3, 2007

A kingdom of rats.
Yeah, the SP is decently fun as a timewaster when you're first starting just because there's so many cool spells and units and events and STUFF that you've never seen to explore. Once the novelty wears off and you get tired of grinding wars of attrition against a dumb AI is when it stops being fun.

And even after that point passed, I personally have still put a decent chunk of time into playing out the first year or so to test builds and expansion strategies and what have you for all the dozens of nations I haven't tried yet.

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

Daeren posted:

I just look at the replays and see all the fast-and-furious backstabs, political moves, and out-of-game diplomacy. While the game looks pretty great, and that sort of thing seems fun to a degree, I just wanna do my thing, not be expected/required to make shady deals on IRC to survive, and not get massacred or dragged into Diplomacy-style machinations every time I'm trying to learn something or be on my own. Is there space to just be like "yo, make me an offer and I'll help you out and lose FOR you in exchange for you helping me not get hosed over by other people"? Isn't there a new mode where it's two teams, and the leaders are the ones who win proper if the teams win?

I just don't wanna be that poor dude who starts next to Flavahbeast or whoever and only gets the experience of tasting curb and boot over and over.

The Disciple (team) games are quite fun and we do see them often enough. There have been a whole mess of new games going up lately and certainly more on the way; two- and three-player team games seem to provide a nice balance of cooperation and effort so I suspect there will be quite a few of those as time goes on.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

Oh god it's on steam. I am back, I am so back and I have completely forgotten how to play.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

You'll get back into the swing of thing in no times, just remember the teachings of DD. Let him be your light and salvation.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

I shall play around for a few days and then get in on a scrub game if one is going. Good god I loved dom3 so much. Given that I have forgotten pretty much everything are there any reasonable guides for nations in dom4 yet? I realize its very similar to 3 but something to get me going "oh yeah that" would be great.

builds character
Jan 16, 2008

Keep at it.

Mr Teatime posted:

I shall play around for a few days and then get in on a scrub game if one is going. Good god I loved dom3 so much. Given that I have forgotten pretty much everything are there any reasonable guides for nations in dom4 yet? I realize its very similar to 3 but something to get me going "oh yeah that" would be great.

You are definitely not qualified to play in a newbie game.

Welcome back. Come play in a regular game. :getin:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
Fighting sacreds with a B9 bless without MR equipment is like trying to fix a powerline without gloves.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

amuayse posted:

Fighting sacreds with a B9 bless without MR equipment is like trying to fix a powerline without gloves.
This is why you must kill their leaders.

Mr Teatime
Apr 7, 2009

builds character posted:

You are definitely not qualified to play in a newbie game.

Welcome back. Come play in a regular game. :getin:

I shall and I will lose to independents before anyone even finds me. You can't kill what you can't see you fools! :ninja:

I am working my way through the thread at the moment, is there somewhere a big list of important stuff that changed from dom3 that would be super good to know about?

Edit: What are these fort upgrade doohickeys I don't even :negative:

Nuclearmonkee
Jun 10, 2009

jBrereton posted:

This is why you must kill their leaders.

Or spam skeletons. All of the skeletons.

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Mr Teatime posted:

I shall and I will lose to independents before anyone even finds me. You can't kill what you can't see you fools! :ninja:

I am working my way through the thread at the moment, is there somewhere a big list of important stuff that changed from dom3 that would be super good to know about?

they're useless busywork no one buys except roads

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

Mr Teatime posted:

Waiting while sieging down forts has always been the most exciting part of dominions, so the fort addons are there to make that part of the game more interactive and exciting!

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

sullat posted:

Waiting while sieging down forts has always been the most exciting part of dominions, so the fort addons are there to make that part of the game more interactive and exciting!

Why did the devs think that was a good idea? :psyduck:

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
It's like putting a bumper sticker or flag on your car :)

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Mr Teatime posted:

Agartha got buffed, and huge cave patch, EA can recruit olms, got 3 more heroes and a spell to shatter the seal, MA gets some buffs to troops recruitable olm-spawn and such, LA got more undead. All of Agartha and Tien-chi can summon MERCURY Elementals, and various cave indeps and cave summons, including a crab.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

TheDemon posted:

they're useless busywork no one buys except roads

The lvl 1 towers are nice if you've got a fort in an important province.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

GoneWithTheTornado posted:

Why did the devs think that was a good idea? :psyduck:
Same crew that said that modding it is not a thing we ought to be able to do.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill
So I've never really gotten into a multiplayer game of anything (especially one with games that seem to be as long as Dominions'), but I just got my Christmas bonus (:yay:) and have the extra cash to burn, so I figure why not grab the game.

Is multiplayer easy to set up and get into? Should I even bother with single-player? Dominions has always struck me as being one of those spergy gems that would have a needlessly obtuse UI for everything.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
I played Dominions 3 SP for literally years. It's alright if you want to learn your way around all of the factions.

Then when Dom 4 came, I felt more at ease with going MP (which is only slightly a PITA to set up, but the main thing is that it's typically a submit-a-turn-a-day type affair rather than being faster pace), and hey, that's a thing I'm doing.

It has a fairly bad UI, but it's not like a super groggy game with innumerable default Windows menus of poo poo.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Play single player for a bit until you get the hang of expansion, scripting, positioning, and ctrl+move to make sure your important stealth guy attacks along with your army. You don't have to be good but knowing the basics is always a good idea.

No matter what though your guys are going to end up doing retarded poo poo by accident and you dying horribly so don't sweat it.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer
Right my protip is to not start on a loving huge map.

Something like Streamlands where you can plausibly win and get one under your belt is infinity times better than going on Glory of the Gods and ambling about for ages fighting independents.

Great Gray Shrike
Oct 22, 2010
Is something weird or not obvious going on with dominions 4 random paths for mages?

As MA C'tis, I can recruit marshmasters that have W1D2N2+1WSDN+0.1WSDN.
By my calculations, I should have a 1/160 = 0.625% chance of getting a D4 or N4 per each marshmaster recruited (1/4 chance of D or N, 1/40 chance of getting the corresponding D or N on the second roll).

I have recruited 16 marshmasters, and gotten D4 on 2 of them, and N4 on one of them. You would expect to see that many good randoms after recruiting ~120 marshmasters, not in 16 of them. It just seems really improbable - is something else going on?

amuayse
Jul 20, 2013

by exmarx
You are blessed by the RNG gods I guess.

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Great Gray Shrike posted:

Is something weird or not obvious going on with dominions 4 random paths for mages?

By my calculations, I should have a 1/160 = 0.625% chance of getting a D4 or N4 per each marshmaster recruited (1/4 chance of D or N, 1/40 chance of getting the corresponding D or N on the second roll).

I have recruited 16 marshmasters, and gotten D4 on 2 of them, and N4 on one of them. You would expect to see that many good randoms after recruiting ~120 marshmasters, not in 16 of them. It just seems really improbable - is something else going on?

Just got lucky, it happens.

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."
Considering the RNG is hosed in one way we know about, there's nothing to suggest it's not hosed up in different ways too. Mage Paths could be just as screwy as exploding dice.

Fleur Bleu
Nov 26, 2006

by Ralp

Great Gray Shrike posted:

That's like a 3.5% chance, if I'm not horribly mistaken. So not too unlikely.
[16!/(3!13!)]*0.00625, but please correct me if I'm wrong.

edit: or more like 0.013%
[16!/(3!13!)]*0.00625^3*0.99375^13
I'm going with this.

Fleur Bleu fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Dec 7, 2013

TheCosmicMuffet
Jun 21, 2009

by Shine
The point is, even if you got 16 D4 in a row, it would still be random chance. If everybody got 16 D4 in a row, then it would be wonky. Or at any rate, we would be experiencing a local spike in butterfly farts.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.
It's totally just confirmation bias, but I've often felt that you get more of the 10% randoms in the first year or two.

Edit: But only in single-player, you never get good randoms or heroes in multiplayer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lilli
Feb 21, 2011

Goodbye, my child.

Fleur Bleu posted:

edit: or more like 0.013%
[16!/(3!13!)]*0.00625^3*0.99375^13
I'm going with this.

Its this one.

• Locked thread