Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why don't all the apps I purchased on my old iPad show up on my new iPad's App Store? It's asking me to pay again for a couple of old apps. I already synced my old iPad via cable to iTunes, but they still won't show up on the store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
Stupid question, but are you definitely signed in to the same Apple ID for the App Store?

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

Question Mark Mound posted:

Stupid question, but are you definitely signed in to the same Apple ID for the App Store?

Yup. I backed up my old ipad, so that the apps would be purchased across all my devices, but it didn't sync up on my other ipad, which is definitely signed up under my id, since stuff I downloaded there showed up on my old ipad.

Radnor
Dec 11, 2002

Octoparrot is watching you.

Calaveron posted:

It's asking me to pay again for a couple of old apps.

As long as you're using the same login it won't charge you. It'll pop up a message after you buy the app saying that you've already purchased it and can re-download it for free.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
It should also show up in your "Purchased" list.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006

DarkJC posted:

It should also show up in your "Purchased" list.

They don't, oddly enough. I managed to fiddle enough with the Apps tab in iTunes to download some stuff, so I guess I'll just do that.

IT BURNS
Nov 19, 2012

Sorry if this has been asked before, but has anyone else experienced battery drain/overheating since the latest iOS update? I spent the past hour or so on my Kindle app and it drained the battery nearly 60%. :witch:

Edit: NM, turned off Background Apps and all is well again!

IT BURNS fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Dec 2, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Huh. I've never managed to make Safari (or any app for that matter), do this before:

hypersleep
Sep 17, 2011

CaptainPsyko posted:

Huh. I've never managed to make Safari (or any app for that matter), do this before:

That's happened to me once before.

Really, Safari is a buggy, crashy pain in the rear end in iOS 7. Apple better fix this poo poo in 7.1.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.

Calaveron posted:

They don't, oddly enough. I managed to fiddle enough with the Apps tab in iTunes to download some stuff, so I guess I'll just do that.

My purchases didn't show up for a couple of days.

Because Apple.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

So, replaced my OG Mini with a screen crack with an iPad Air this weekend and this thing is laughably, insanely awesome. I was a bit worried that the larger size would make it cumbersome, but that hasn't been the case. I read with it in bed last night one-handed for a solid three hours (stupid awesomely dumb sci-fi novel) and never felt fatigue.

My wife held it (she uses an iPad 4) and now she's of course bugging me for the upgrade as well.

Prior to this, really badly wanting to upgrade to something retina, I had tried a Nexus 7 and a Kindle HDX 7, as those are often ID'd as the best Android tablets have to offer. They're... not even in the same galaxy as the Air. It's been a great-enough revelation that even my usual latent Catholic guilt at buying something nice for myself is fairly-well squashed.

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation.

smr posted:

So, replaced my OG Mini with a screen crack with an iPad Air this weekend and this thing is laughably, insanely awesome. I was a bit worried that the larger size would make it cumbersome, but that hasn't been the case. I read with it in bed last night one-handed for a solid three hours (stupid awesomely dumb sci-fi novel) and never felt fatigue.

My wife held it (she uses an iPad 4) and now she's of course bugging me for the upgrade as well.

Prior to this, really badly wanting to upgrade to something retina, I had tried a Nexus 7 and a Kindle HDX 7, as those are often ID'd as the best Android tablets have to offer. They're... not even in the same galaxy as the Air. It's been a great-enough revelation that even my usual latent Catholic guilt at buying something nice for myself is fairly-well squashed.

Out of curiosity, why didn't you try for a Retina Mini?

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Nihiliste posted:

Air is a lot better, especially for only a hundred dollars more.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Nihiliste posted:

I have old eyes. I wanted crisp, but larger, text. And a lot of the books I tend to read (histories, heavy on the maps) and my Garageband usage benefit from the bigger screen. I only had a Mini in the first place for the weight savings, but the Air is light enough and my hands are big enough to be able to hold it one-handed for however long I need to.

I was nervous that it would be JUST too big or too heavy to use comfortably (which is exactly my problem with the iPad 4) but they nailed it. It's a pleasure to use.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Steve was right when he said 9.7 was the perfect size

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Cracked the screen on my Air. Amex will replace it free of charge, but i need to send them a repair estimate with all the paperwork. Can I get something like this at the Apple Store, or could I get one online somewhere?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

vaginal culture posted:

Cracked the screen on my Air. Amex will replace it free of charge, but i need to send them a repair estimate with all the paperwork. Can I get something like this at the Apple Store, or could I get one online somewhere?

Yeah, a Genius Bar can give you an estimate slip - just make an appointment as usual.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Yeah, a Genius Bar can give you an estimate slip - just make an appointment as usual.

Will do, thanks.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

Anybody have recommendations on a nice case for the iPad Air?

Here's what I'm hoping for:
  • Light-weight
  • Built-in stand at different positions
  • Looks like a nice book (like a moleskine, I think?)
The Contegra case from Pad And Quill is beautiful (and expensive!!) but it seems a little bulky.

Also ... what is the best stylus for note-taking in meetings, etc?

Vinlaen fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Dec 3, 2013

AlexF
Jul 12, 2006

Gross!
As for the case: It sounds like you should probably go with a Portenzo.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Curious if anyone else has had this happen, I have an appointment tomorrow but figured I'd check just to get a heads up. I bought a iPad back in April of 2012, I returned it due to a dead pixel and got AppleCare+ on the iPad at the same time. It appears that they used my original iPad's serial for the AppleCare+ contract. So when I look up my current iPad is shows no coverage. I still have all the paperwork with the original serial number on them but I'm just curious if they are going to honor this or if I'm just hosed and will have to pay the $250 to get a new iPad. I attempted to call apple support but they want $20 just to answer a question.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I'd call back again and try to get to the right department. That fee is supposed to be for "how do I do this" questions after the phone coverage ends. Your issue is a warranty issue and they should absolutely help you figure that out for free.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Or call the store directly

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Can anyone actually get Netflix to stream in HD to their iPad Air? For some reason, my iPad will just never flip to HD, even though if I have my iPhone or laptop in the same room on the same connection, they will begin streaming in HD near instantly. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my iPad or network what, but when every device in my home except my iPad can stream HD netflix just fine, it's a bit odd. Amazon Prime Video HD streams perfectly as well.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

sleepness posted:

Can anyone actually get Netflix to stream in HD to their iPad Air? For some reason, my iPad will just never flip to HD, even though if I have my iPhone or laptop in the same room on the same connection, they will begin streaming in HD near instantly. I'm not sure if it's a problem with my iPad or network what, but when every device in my home except my iPad can stream HD netflix just fine, it's a bit odd. Amazon Prime Video HD streams perfectly as well.

Just tested it and it went to HD after 30 seconds or so, so yeah. Might be your connection?

terriyaki
Nov 10, 2003

Finally got my rMini and holy poo poo this thing is the tits.

Can't believe how fast and snappy everything is and the screen is amazing.

This thing makes my OG iPad feel like it was made in the 80s.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.
I don't know where to ask this, so I'm going to ask both in this thread, and the AppleTV thrad :shobon:

I've never had an AppleTV before, but am thinking about getting one. My question is two-fold - I've heard that not every app can be streamed via AirPlay. Does anyone know if NFL Sunday Ticket can? And if so can it be AirPlay'd (???) from both an iPhone 5 or the latest generation iPad? What are the things that cannot be streamed? Netflix works fine, I assume? Thanks :)

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005

eightysixed posted:

I don't know where to ask this, so I'm going to ask both in this thread, and the AppleTV thrad :shobon:

I've never had an AppleTV before, but am thinking about getting one. My question is two-fold - I've heard that not every app can be streamed via AirPlay. Does anyone know if NFL Sunday Ticket can? And if so can it be AirPlay'd (???) from both an iPhone 5 or the latest generation iPad? What are the things that cannot be streamed? Netflix works fine, I assume? Thanks :)

I'm not a sports fan, so I can't answer your NFL app questions. But if you can use AirPlay on one iOS device, you can definitely use it on another. The built-in Netflix client works just fine.

Do you have a web subscription to NFL content? If you do, one option might be to get a Chromecast and cast a Chrome tab (from your desktop) with the NFL video playing fullscreen.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

eightysixed posted:

The Sunday Ticket app only airplays audio. It sucks. The NFL Gamepass app airplays video perfectly, but it's only available for people outside the US or you could use a VPN.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

^^ That sucks :saddowns:

Nihiliste posted:

Do you have a web subscription to NFL content? If you do, one option might be to get a Chromecast and cast a Chrome tab (from your desktop) with the NFL video playing fullscreen.

I do. It's through DirecTV. I pay extra on top of the regular NFL Sunday Ticket package to be able to stream it in HD online, and of course iOS has an official Sunday Ticket App for that. The Chromcast thing is actually a pretty cool idea that I hadn't though of. Unfortunately, the reason I was hoping to just go iDevice -> AppleTV is because I didn't want to lug a laptop/desktop places every weekend :saddowns:

Oh well.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010
What happens if you use the system level AirPlay mirroring? Or does that just not work when an app has disallowed AirPlay as well?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

DarkJC posted:

What happens if you use the system level AirPlay mirroring? Or does that just not work when an app has disallowed AirPlay as well?

This actually works but you get a really really lovely picture. On my 42" you just get a small screen in the center surrounded by giant black bars. It works if you can't get anything else but certainly not an ideal situation.

Also the Sunday Ticket thing is one stream per login. So if you are logged in on your iPad you can not watch from a web browser or iPhone at the same time.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

syndex posted:

Also the Sunday Ticket thing is one stream per login. So if you are logged in on your iPad you can not watch from a web browser or iPhone at the same time.
That's correct. The idea was trying to get away from dragging a laptop or desktop with me to various places when we have Sunday Football parties. I didn't care if an iPhone could do it, or an iPad, just one of them. Too bad neither of them can :(

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

eightysixed posted:

That's correct. The idea was trying to get away from dragging a laptop or desktop with me to various places when we have Sunday Football parties. I didn't care if an iPhone could do it, or an iPad, just one of them. Too bad neither of them can :(

The ST app is crap and I can't wait until Directv loses ST.

Toebone
Jul 1, 2002

Start remembering what you hear.
My dad dropped his 4th gen iPad and managed to smash the glass bezel, near the front facing camera. Now there's a nice jagged hole that's just waiting for someone's thumb to slip in. Does anyone know of a case that covers up the bezel?

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Toebone posted:

My dad dropped his 4th gen iPad and managed to smash the glass bezel, near the front facing camera. Now there's a nice jagged hole that's just waiting for someone's thumb to slip in. Does anyone know of a case that covers up the bezel?

A screen protector over that damage can help as a temporary solution so no one cuts themselves.

supersteve
Jan 16, 2007

Atari Bigby - UNIVERSITY OF JAH RASTAFARI

eric posted:

The ST app is crap and I can't wait until Directv loses ST.

Crap? It's literally one of the best apps I've used on my iPad (thanks madden deal).

What don't you like about it?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
We're getting a new iPad Air very soon (32GB, Wi-Fi only), and I want to buy a protective cover for it. It'll be carried around with me when I'm on the move, so I'll need something rugged. Are there any decent off-brand versions for it, or is it best to go for the real deal on this thing? Any other recommended accessories for a first-time iPad owner?

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

melon cat posted:

We're getting a new iPad Air very soon (32GB, Wi-Fi only), and I want to buy a protective cover for it. It'll be carried around with me when I'm on the move, so I'll need something rugged. Are there any decent off-brand versions for it, or is it best to go for the real deal on this thing? Any other recommended accessories for a first-time iPad owner?

Do you really need rugged rugged? Otterbox is the main rugged one, and its nice, but it really, really adds to the size and weight. Even with the Air its kind of killing the purpose of the tablet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihiliste
Oct 23, 2005
My two favorite cases for travel (having tried a bunch) are the Snugg and the SwitchEasy Canvas. The Snugg is winning for my trip tomorrow, since it has a handstrap and minimizes weight.