Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

SubponticatePoster posted:

1 contains Bring Down the Sky, 2 contains everything (even that collector Blackhole gun) and 3 is just base game. Since it's new(est) they want you to shell out for DLC.

What? No poo poo? Does the 360 3-game package contain everything as well? My sister bought that ages ago and I told her to blow a ton of money on the DLC for ME2. :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
The 360 pack contains no DLC for any of the 3 games (Unless you count the Cerberus Network, but that was always free if new). Only PS3 gets that deal.

reagan
Apr 29, 2008

by Lowtax

Lycus posted:

The 360 pack contains no DLC for any of the 3 games (Unless you count the Cerberus Network, but that was always free if new). Only PS3 gets that deal.

Well, that is good and lovely. Good deal for the PS3.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SubponticatePoster posted:

1 contains Bring Down the Sky, 2 contains everything (even that collector Blackhole gun) and 3 is just base game. Since it's new(est) they want you to shell out for DLC.

I didn't think 2 came with the Arrival DLC, since it came out after the PS3 release.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

monster on a stick posted:

I didn't think 2 came with the Arrival DLC, since it came out after the PS3 release.
Yes, my bad. You would still need to purchase Arrival but it affects fuckall if you don't. PS3 ME2 got all of the then-available DLC at its launch - Kasumi, Zaeed, Overlord, weapon packs and the customization pack for Thane/Jack.

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

I wouldn't even bother with Arrival, I mean it explains why Shepard is in trouble in the beginning of ME3 but it's sort of boring, you can't take your crew with you, and there's a lot of weird ME3-style EVERYONE IS INDOCTRINATED BUT YOU stuff.

And drat you people, I just started a sentinel Shep whose only goal in life is to kill Rana Thanoptis. I've never actually done that before despite knowing she becomes a detriment.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

MooCowlian posted:

So is any of it actually bad? I'm gonna be on holiday for about a month so I'm considering just leaving it until the new year and then playing it all, but I can probably afford one bit if it's really worth playing sooner.

They all have their good things. Leviathan has some cool looking environments and a decent atmosphere about it, it helping to explain how the ending actually works is a sort of bonus. The ending is still terrible after playing it but at least its not an utterly confusing terrible. Omega is a whole lot of combat with a few fun new powers to use and new enemies. There's dialogue with Aria, her companion, the bad guy, but you don't get to bring any of your shipmates along and I never cared for Aria and Omega so its a bit of a wash. I really don't want to say its terrible, I did find ME3's combat easily the funnest of the series, but I needed more from Omega for it to be better.

Citadel is a not-serious-at-all romp through a completely nonsense main story (featuring the return of Team Bro Squad) followed by the greatest party in the history of the universe (with side stories throughout the whole thing and a fun enough combat arena). It is really, really good, though I will admit that opinion may be influenced by the fact that it was the first ME3 DLC I bought (I bought the others afterwards), that purchase being influenced entirely by a scene of Shepard dancing with Garrus and it was exactly what I needed to experience after the ending of ME3. Every squad member throughout the entire game (except for the Virmire casualty) gets something to do and something to say. The only caveat I always feel the need to mention is that Citadel does require you being attached to those characters, otherwise a lot of stuff could just fall flat.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm about to play through ME2 and ME3 again after I realized that this time I could just... like... not play ME1 this time around, since the five or so times I've played it are probably enough. Anyway, I actually kind of like the new Mass Effect 3 default femshep, but it'd be strange if her face just completely changes in between games. Is there a facecode floating around that kind of approximates the ME3 default femshep? I know it's a unique texture/model, so I'm not looking for an exact match, just something that looks like she could be the same person-- although if there's some mod to just straight up play as ME3 femshep in ME2, that'd be cool too.

EDIT: Ended up finding this facecode, which is good enough for government work: http://www.masseffect2faces.com/index.php?faceID=1925

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 11:53 on Dec 6, 2013

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

MooCowlian posted:

So is any of it actually bad? I'm gonna be on holiday for about a month so I'm considering just leaving it until the new year and then playing it all, but I can probably afford one bit if it's really worth playing sooner.

Is there a copy on youtube? I'm a sucker for soundtracks, but I literally alt-f4ed and decided that the ending in my head where everyone survives and is happy and then everyone bought Shepard the drinks they promised was the correct one, so I don't know what it is.

I'm pretty sure Bioware put up the EC soundtrack for free somewhere. The youtube is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TLxv_g_zQkY

although best ME3 music is The View of Palaven https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yAJqAMBfJ74

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Speasking of femshep from ME3, can anyone explain why they went with a redhead. Didn't a blonde version win the fan vote leading up to the release?

Striking Yak
Dec 31, 2012
I thought Citadel wrapped up nicely. It is mostly light-hearted, but it fits. This may be the last time you ever see anyone again, you're flying into hell the next day. And the battle arena can be fairly dramatic, if you think about it. You do a Make A Wish, and can take down elite Reaper forces on your own, if you want. People getting a chance to see you in action and taking on the toughest troops your enemies have is probably a pretty big morale boost for the whole galaxy. They see you, and they know that you're out there fighting. And they know that you are loving unbeatable. They believe in Commander Shepard. :unsmith:

On a completely different note: Did anyone else get worried that James was indoctrinated? His "do you hear that hum?" line when he's run out of new dialogue on the Normandy had me a little worried.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Well, I just took it as a little joke about that hum sound that plays in the background whenever you're in the shuttle bay.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 6, 2013

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Spikeguy posted:

Speasking of femshep from ME3, can anyone explain why they went with a redhead. Didn't a blonde version win the fan vote leading up to the release?

The first round of votes were for completely different faces, hair styles and races. They did a second round of votes because people were complaining about her being blond.

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Striking Yak posted:

On a completely different note: Did anyone else get worried that James was indoctrinated? His "do you hear that hum?" line when he's run out of new dialogue on the Normandy had me a little worried.

I'm surprised there wasn't at least one crew betrayal in the series, between Cerberus and The Reapers, it probably should have happened once, would have made for a good run up to the end of 2 or 3.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

lenoon posted:

Though I didn't fly into a rage about the endings, I didn't like them ether. But, they did bring with them my favourite bit of music in the series - an end, once and for all - which has ended up at the very top of my short list of 'awesome video game songs to listen to on the bus to work'.
:respek:

My only complaint about that song is the ending. I wish I had the skills to cut together a relaxing looped version of it. :allears:

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Spikeguy posted:

Retarded SJW crowd complaining about blondshep, saying she was a bimbo among other things.

Then they did another vote and removed the blondshep, redhead won that one.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Alteisen posted:

Retarded SJW crowd complaining about blondshep, saying she was a bimbo among other things.

Then they did another vote and removed the blondshep, redhead won that one.

Wait what? I thought social justice warriors were more the kind to over-react to perceived sexism, like say demanding maleshep be removed, why would they demand a femshep option be removed for being a 'bimbo' just because she's blonde? I mean isn't that kind of extremely sexist?

Or does selecting blondeshep make her talk like a valley girl or something? I mean I really like femshep, her voice actor doesn't sound like she's hosed up on valium and actually seems to have some emotion/personality.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

PootieTang posted:

Wait what? I thought social justice warriors were more the kind to over-react to perceived sexism, like say demanding maleshep be removed, why would they demand a femshep option be removed for being a 'bimbo' just because she's blonde? I mean isn't that kind of extremely sexist?

Or does selecting blondeshep make her talk like a valley girl or something? I mean I really like femshep, her voice actor doesn't sound like she's hosed up on valium and actually seems to have some emotion/personality.

I have no idea, the complaints being tossed around where some of the dumbest poo poo ever.

http://attackofthefanboy.com/news/mass-effect-3-are-blonds-so-bad/

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

Wow. I like redhead Shep better, but wasn't the original vote between these ones?

So basically people picked the one whose hair was still feminine but still didn't obscure her face? I would have maybe gone with the first one since it's more marine-ish, but still. Not really worthy of outrage. The middle one doesn't even look black, she just looks like a white Shep with a tan and a slightly different nose.

E: My mistake, there was also one with terrible combat scenario straight-cut bangs. Still.

womb with a view fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Dec 6, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
The mere act of the blonde shep winning was called sexist, it was really silly, probably the dumbest thing for people to whine about.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

I didn't like that anything was put to a vote in the first place, even before thinking the default from ME1 and ME2 was fine. I get the good intentions behind it but to me the whole thing just ended up feeling like a beauty pageant. Idiots complaining about the default potentially being blonde just made it worse.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

Anita Sarkeesian points out that femshep being referred to as femshep makes her defined as different from the norm or something, and therefore not the 'official' shep.

I didn't realise I was sexist in wanting to point out the difference between the two genders of character. Do I call the other one maleshep now, or do I refer to both of them as shepard? What do I do to minimise triggering SJWs?

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Hbomberguy posted:

Anita Sarkeesian points out that femshep being referred to as femshep makes her defined as different from the norm or something, and therefore not the 'official' shep.

I didn't realise I was sexist in wanting to point out the difference between the two genders of character. Do I call the other one maleshep now, or do I refer to both of them as shepard? What do I do to minimise triggering SJWs?

You know I don't think I've ever seen that much Tumblr Outrage about anybody using the term "FemShep." Anita does have a point though, but in her case its a single datapoint among many, not something to use alone to win an internet argument.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Hbomberguy posted:

That would make sense if the name for default Shepherd was 'manshep' and not always the gender neutral 'Commander Shepherd'

Anita Sarkeesian is quite possibly the worst person to listen to in regards to feminist issues or pretty much anything regarding video games, movies, music, or any form of media. She even says herself she doesn't actually identify with the real feminist movement, she just uses the label to get views/tumblr support.

Just call hir Shepherd, or if referring to a specificly gendered shep, femshep or manshep.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Hbomberguy posted:

Anita says a lot of stupid things, pay them no heed.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
The overall point is that male Shepard is still seen as the default and female Shepard is seen as a deviation from that. Which, I mean, just look at the box of the games or most of the trailers (although that got a bit better for ME3).

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Sarkeesian's got a point. I think a lot of people use "Shep(ard)" and "FemShep" to refer to the two different characters, which does imply that male Shepard is default and female Shepard is the derivative, which is kinda sexist.

Obviously she wasn't talking about you though. You're one of the good ones.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Rincewind posted:

The overall point is that male Shepard is still seen as the default and female Shepard is seen as a deviation from that. Which, I mean, just look at the box of the games or most of the trailers (although that got a bit better for ME3).

I'll agree that that is pretty lame. Still thats an actual issue, the idea that the fact people call the specifically female version femshep is the issue is dumb.

Lt. Danger posted:

Sarkeesian's got a point. I think a lot of people use "Shep(ard)" and "FemShep" to refer to the two different characters, which does imply that male Shepard is default and female Shepard is the derivative, which is kinda sexist.

I only ever see femshep when people are specifically referring to an exclusively female Shepherd, in cases when it's either it's always just the gender neutral Shep. I mean, to think that is an issue, don't you have to assume that Shep refers exclusively to male Shepherd yourself? Whenever I hear 'Shepherd' I don't assume it must be referring to a male Shep.

PootieTang fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 6, 2013

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

You'll note that those are pre-owned ones, so somebody flipped around the cover insert before re-shelving it.

I mean, I like that they made the cover reversible and all, that felt like a step forward-- like I said, ME3 stepped away from male Shepard being the sole default a bit by doing that and including her in some of the trailers and such-- but male Shepard was still facing out on all the retail boxes (and he's on the cover icon when you're launching the game through Origin or whatever).

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
^^ As progressive as it was, there's a reason why Male Shep is mostly everywhere: Bioware's data told them that most people played Male Unmodified Soldier Shep.

ME2 talk: I know I bought/downloaded a few DLCs, but I'm reasonably sure I didn't save some of the executables. Is there any way to load the Bioware site and show a list of which DLC I've purchased?

Loving Life Partner
Apr 17, 2003
I just think it's a funny image.

I don't really have any strong opinions one way or the other about the issue. I think the way Bioware handled it is really awesome top to bottom, and I probably enjoyed my play through as woman Shepard more than male, because the VA was amazing.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

I'm going to assume that the Femshep one has the manual missing or something. For some reason I highly doubt someone would really price it down because of it being the femshep version... Or maybe I'm too optimistic

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Lt. Danger posted:

No its a dumb thing to nitpick, there is literally no other term to use to refer to the female Shepard.

quote:

^^ As progressive as it was, there's a reason why Male Shep is mostly everywhere: Bioware's data told them that most people played Male Unmodified Soldier Shep.

Actually its because Shepard's face is based off a real human being whom they have a contract to use his likeness.

PootieTang
Aug 2, 2011

by XyloJW

Alteisen posted:

Actually its because Shepard's face is based off a real human being whom they have a contract to use his likeness.

Is Femsheps based off of a Quarian?

Burning Mustache
Sep 4, 2006

Zaeed got stories.
Kasumi got loot.
All I got was a hole in my suit.

MisterBibs posted:

ME2 talk: I know I bought/downloaded a few DLCs, but I'm reasonably sure I didn't save some of the executables. Is there any way to load the Bioware site and show a list of which DLC I've purchased?

https://social.bioware.com/user_entitlements.php (need to be logged in obviously)

womb with a view
Sep 8, 2007

PootieTang posted:

Is Femsheps based off of a Quarian?

Yeah, but she's public domain.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Alteisen posted:

No its a dumb thing to nitpick, there is literally no other term to use to refer to the female Shepard.

How about "Shepard"

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Alteisen posted:

How about "female Shepard"? e: goddamn beaten

It's not "FemShep" that's the problem, it's that it's used as a marker to show a deviation from the norm.

Compare how many people use FemShep and how many use ManShep/MaleShep. If they're just used to distinguish male and female PCs, shouldn't they be equal? Or, if anything, more ManSheps/MaleSheps because more people play a male Shepard, right?

A cursory Google shows FemShep is a lot more common. Why?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Are we seriously arguing about the use of an abbreviation? :psyduck:

I mean the term Shepard is gender neutral, people are just referring to which gender they picked when talking about their character

• Locked thread