Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Liking the robot, hoping that the uniforms don't look too bad in action.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Yeah... I mean nobody much liked the Kyoryu suits at first either, but these? Oi.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Those uniforms can't be real. It's like a parody with the tracks over the visors, mono-colored suits and everything! The robot does look super rad, though.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Dr Tran posted:

Choo Choo Sentai has a yellow. A male one at that.

Hahaha and they thought GoBusters was gonna kill the ratings. Where's that mecha's legs? I count 5 trains in the upper body.

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!
My biggest complaint is they probably could've done away with the helmets' numbers, since they're already on the chest; other than that I'm pretty alright with the suits. :shobon:

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Looks like I'm wrong, Yellow's a girl
Also, Thomas the Tank robo looked better than this

Shaezerus
Mar 24, 2008

God? Or perhaps a devil?
Show me which you'll choose!

Dr Tran posted:

If Go-Buster OhKing and Kyoryuzin are any indication, never judge the robot from the initial toy because the toy makes it look like absolute rear end.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
I find it amusing that the ladies on the team get shorter train mechs. Only 2 cars to the male's 3.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

Dr Tran posted:

Looks like I'm wrong, Yellow's a girl

SWEET MERCIFUL JESUS :suicide:

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

Accessories. Somebody saw Wizard's gunsword and thought that was a really neat concept, but not on point enough with the theme.

Extra mecha shots.

AzraelNewtype fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Dec 6, 2013

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
So the collectable gimmick this year looks like it will be train cars that you can replace the bot's hands with. Ehhh, its better than a lot of what Rider's done, I guess.

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Wow did Bandai of America do these toys?

It will prolly look at least acceptable in the show because the legs, torso, and arms will be bent/not looking stupid.

RBX fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 6, 2013

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
I literally can't think of a way of when the time comes for Saban to adapt that and not have it flop miserably(because even to a big Toku fan like myself everything about this new Sentai looks lame as all hell), because there is no way he can make this one look cool at all

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」
Between the weapons and the way the kanji swap gag in the title works (烈車 is a fake compound homonym for the word for train, where the first kanji is a violent intensifier, the same thing that's used for things like Rekka Daizantou), this is looking like the second coming of Go-Onger (Enjin/Engine was 炎神 - Flame god, but clearly picked largely because it's a homonym). If this revisiting of the concept means taking a look back to the actual funny parody sentai, Carranger, I'm completely down. If it means not learning any of the lessons and just making another Go-Onger... oi...

1st Stage Midboss
Oct 29, 2011

I want to object to that because really enjoyed Go-Onger, I'd call it one of my favourite Sentai, but I can't actually defend it at all as far as quality's concerned.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
Its bizarre, the green ranger's number appears to be 1 in those shots, just like red's, while the others are clearly 2, 3 and 5. Is Green's costume not done yet, resulting in photoshop trickery? I hope so, not a fan of the particular shade we are seeing there.

edit: Actually, /m/ says that the ads are specifically pointing Green's 1 out. So I guess they can be changed depending on circumstances. Afraid that might mean that that shade of green is here to stay.

Cliff Racer fucked around with this message at 13:40 on Dec 6, 2013

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Remember Carranger once ws shown on television without worry. This doesn't seem as far out as that. Train loving super team and the Fruit wearing dancing knights in the year of 2014.

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

I really love how the helmets form one continuous track when linked up like that :3:

Saint Twisty
Mar 12, 2012

Light is sown for the righteous, and gladness for the upright in heart.
The train is gonna own

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Am I making this up in my head, or do the suits seem almost like a callback to Goranger? The quality and simplicity of them is what makes me think that. Of course, it could also be because my experience with Sentai is all recent and the last few have had particularly ornate suits.

Still, I agree with most of the reactions so far in that it doesn't look very good yet, the helmets are kind of he and the mech is just the five trains lined up and stood up. But Kyoryuger is now one of my favorites and that had negative reactions are first too, so I'm definitely giving this a chance. Especially if Azrael is right and it goes all out Carranger.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Oh Sweet Merciful Christ why?

I'll judge when we see them in action, but dear GOD those suits look so cheap. And the toy is.........really special.

JT Smiley
Mar 3, 2006
Thats whats up!
It honestly looks like they made a series based on those dollar store sentai knock offs. I'd just like to take a moment to apologize to Goseiger and Kyoryuger for saying their costumes were ugly.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

~fartz~

RBX posted:

Remember Carranger once ws shown on television without worry. This doesn't seem as far out as that. Train loving super team and the Fruit wearing dancing knights in the year of 2014.

And then Turbo almost killed a franchise.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Carranger had suits that didn't look like dime store knockoffs!

Wait I'm confused.

Why does the Green Ranger have Number 1 on his suit when the Red Ranger has Number 1?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

drrockso20 posted:

I literally can't think of a way of when the time comes for Saban to adapt that and not have it flop miserably(because even to a big Toku fan like myself everything about this new Sentai looks lame as all hell), because there is no way he can make this one look cool at all

If the in-suit stuff doesn't click, then they'll just increase the out of suit time until whenever they need it. I doubt they'll pull and RPM and flat-out scrap the original ideal and put in a new one. They will probably handwave any of the particular silly poo poo.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
You know what? Forget you guys, 'cuz those shots have taken things past the tipping point. The next series looks absolutely balls off the walls ludicrous, and if it can be even half as insane as sentai's able to be, then I'm definitely jumping on board the crazy train.

Chugga Chugga Sentai ChooChooGer's gonna own.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Burkion posted:

Wait I'm confused.

Why does the Green Ranger have Number 1 on his suit when the Red Ranger has Number 1?

It looks like if One loads a green train in his brace, his suit turns green. Could end up with a ton of colors.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

Burkion posted:

Wait I'm confused.

Maybe they're doing some thing similar to what Power Rangers SPD did and the powers/suits are interchangeable? If the TokyuuRed uses Green's morphing device, he becomes the green hero, just with a 1 on his suit?

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
That could be an interesting gimmick. The mecha is really lazy though, I'm afraid to say.

I'll see where this goes. Suits and mechs not looking great has never stopped a series from being good, after all.

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

AzraelNewtype posted:

Between the weapons and the way the kanji swap gag in the title works (烈車 is a fake compound homonym for the word for train, where the first kanji is a violent intensifier, the same thing that's used for things like Rekka Daizantou), this is looking like the second coming of Go-Onger (Enjin/Engine was 炎神 - Flame god, but clearly picked largely because it's a homonym). If this revisiting of the concept means taking a look back to the actual funny parody sentai, Carranger, I'm completely down. If it means not learning any of the lessons and just making another Go-Onger... oi...
Go-Onger actually contains the Sentai equivalent of the Frank Grimes episode of the Simpsons, so if we get to see more things like that then I'm down.

However, that mecha reminds me of an off-brand Transformer I bought as a kid.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
Sold!

Edit: Watch this thing be insanely mobile and all the mecha fights have really intense choreography.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

The henshin devices are apparently a really calm announcer, in complete contrast to kyoryuger Like "BING BONG... Please step away from the transforming hero. Thank you."

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

Sold!

Edit: Watch this thing be insanely mobile and all the mecha fights have really intense choreography.

That is currently looking to be the only way they could salvage this show is if the action scenes for this show are really, really good

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

drrockso20 posted:

That is currently looking to be the only way they could salvage this show is if the action scenes for this show are really, really good

The show doesn't even premier for weeks....does it need "salvaging" at this point?

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Rei_ posted:

The henshin devices are apparently a really calm announcer, in complete contrast to kyoryuger Like "BING BONG... Please step away from the transforming hero. Thank you."
My opinion has never turned around faster. If that is seriously anything close to what the belt says, I am sold day one.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

jivjov posted:

The show doesn't even premier for weeks....does it need "salvaging" at this point?

It needs something to overcome the sheer ugliness of everything designed for it, yes.

Jesus those suits.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008
They could skip making a theme song if they wanted to. There's already a good one that could be used.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-DpRcxK_N8

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

It needs something to overcome the sheer ugliness of everything designed for it, yes.

Jesus those suits.

We've been looking at toy ads. The mech will most assuredly look better in the show, and if you're seriously trying to argue that the suits are 100% objectively ugly, then there's no way we're going to have a decent conversation about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I hope each suit color has it's own station jingle.

• Locked thread