Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Technowrite
Jan 18, 2006

I first battled the Metroids on Planet Zebes.
I'm in the process of learning to shoot sports thanks to my job giving me the opportunity for field access at South Carolina football games. Needless to say, it's very difficult. This is using an old Nikon D40 my folks gave me along with a manual focus 100-300 telephoto lens. It's pretty much the only shot I was actually proud of from last Saturday. A good friend of mine actually brightened the photo a bit with Lightroom since the original shot was mega dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Valdara
May 12, 2003

burn, pillage, ORGANIZE!
Here are some photos from my first attempt at sports photography with high school football. The visiting team beat the tar out of us, but we gave them some trouble when we could. We're in green.

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?

Gullous posted:

One day I'll get a bazooka lens. I'd like to get a 70-200 and 2x next year. I understand you can get by with that.

What actually works is the new Sigma 120-300. All the shots from the cup final are shot with the old one. That one is sharp, the new one is sharper. And it's not very expensive either.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Valdara posted:

Here are some photos from my first attempt at sports photography with high school football. The visiting team beat the tar out of us, but we gave them some trouble when we could. We're in green.

Get lower, shoot from a kneeling position. Improves the perspective on the players and the backgrounds.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

~what is art, baby dont post, dont post, no more~

no seriously don't post
I shot some derby this weekend.

JSRG 2013 Championship by benruset, on Flickr

Edit: Rest of series.

These were taken on a Pentax K-5 at ISO 6400. For the most part I used my Tamron SP AF 70-200mm F2.8 Di LD [IF] Macro lens and stayed around f/3.5, shooting with ambient light.

Two questions:

1. The girls look pretty soft. These pics are all cropped - is the softness from the lens being so wide open or from it being slightly out of focus? (Or both?) I've heard people say that this lens is still sharp wide open.

2. Obviously there's a fair amount of sensor noise. Should I look into getting some sort of noise reduction software in my workflow? What's a good one to look at?

kdrudy
Sep 19, 2009

Took some derby pictures last week myself.

North Star Roller Girls - Punk Rock 'n' Roller Derby - 2013-11-23 by kdrudy, on Flickr

North Star Roller Girls - Punk Rock 'n' Roller Derby - 2013-11-23 by kdrudy, on Flickr

First bout I was able to get to this year, good to get back and take some pictures.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

ZippySLC posted:

Two questions:

1. The girls look pretty soft. These pics are all cropped - is the softness from the lens being so wide open or from it being slightly out of focus? (Or both?) I've heard people say that this lens is still sharp wide open.

2. Obviously there's a fair amount of sensor noise. Should I look into getting some sort of noise reduction software in my workflow? What's a good one to look at?

1: It could partly be the aperture, but you're also shooting at 1/160 to 1/200 and that's on the slow end to capture human motion. It's obviously not that well-lit so unfortunately your best hope is to crank the ISO. I'd leave the aperture wide open too.

2: Noise Ninja is a pretty well-liked plugin. GIMP's noise reduction takes a little work but it's not too bad either.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

DJExile posted:

1: It could partly be the aperture, but you're also shooting at 1/160 to 1/200 and that's on the slow end to capture human motion. It's obviously not that well-lit so unfortunately your best hope is to crank the ISO. I'd leave the aperture wide open too.

2: Noise Ninja is a pretty well-liked plugin. GIMP's noise reduction takes a little work but it's not too bad either.

My concerns about shooting wide open is that it seems like the lens gets pretty soft and with such a shallow DOF, my focus must be absolutely spot on. I'm shooting a Pentax with a Tamron lens. That's pretty much impossible with fast moving subjects. :(

GI Joe jobs
Jun 25, 2005

🎅🤜🤛👷
Can you use a flash? Or focus on shooting a well lit section of the track?

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Volute the swarth, trawl betwixt phonotic
Scoff the festune
So I just talked to the athletic director at my school about shooting our basketball teams. Any tips on shooting bball? I was thinking 70-200 f/2.8 + 17-35 f2.8 on an APS-H body would be a good range for courtside? Supposedly they just got some new lights installed so I should have decent lighting. No flash allowed. Is it basically just get low and try to get faces? I've only shot soccer and hockey and that was from the stands.

ZippySLC
Jun 3, 2002

no seriously don't post

Gullous posted:

Can you use a flash? Or focus on shooting a well lit section of the track?

I can use a flash, but I really don't like how the pictures come out. Plus I'd rather not be blinding the players. I'm not super offended by the sensor noise, but it'd be nice to be able to clean it up a bit. I'm sort of regretting cheaping out for the Tamron 70-200 instead of getting the Sigma 70-200.

There is no such thing as a well lit derby track. The venue I shot at the last time was the closest I have gotten to.

I used my flash for this bout. This other guy used a flash with a soft box with less than stellar results. This other guy uses on camera and remote flashes, but I am not really a huge fan of how they turn out.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

800peepee51doodoo posted:

Is it basically just get low and try to get faces?

Yeah, plus being ready to absorb players crashing into you. Those two lenses should be fine.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

So I just talked to the athletic director at my school about shooting our basketball teams. Any tips on shooting bball? I was thinking 70-200 f/2.8 + 17-35 f2.8 on an APS-H body would be a good range for courtside? Supposedly they just got some new lights installed so I should have decent lighting. No flash allowed. Is it basically just get low and try to get faces? I've only shot soccer and hockey and that was from the stands.

Two faces and a ball. That's pretty much it. Bread and butter will be layups, contested rebounds, and driving. 200 on APS-H will probably be a bit short for shooting defense on the other side of the court, but you might try it anyway, if only to get a feel of the game from a photographic standpoint a bit more.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Technowrite posted:

I'm in the process of learning to shoot sports thanks to my job giving me the opportunity for field access at South Carolina football games. Needless to say, it's very difficult. This is using an old Nikon D40 my folks gave me along with a manual focus 100-300 telephoto lens. It's pretty much the only shot I was actually proud of from last Saturday. A good friend of mine actually brightened the photo a bit with Lightroom since the original shot was mega dark.

That's pretty nice. Hope you got some good shots of all the INTs Clemson threw last week!

A few shots from a Southern Illinois game last month:

SIU vs Missouri State by venusian-weasel, on Flickr

Sleepy time:

Venusian Weasel fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Dec 7, 2013

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

They're pretty good moments but your 3rd one needs a generous crop. Why f/6.3?

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

DJExile posted:

They're pretty good moments but your 3rd one needs a generous crop. Why f/6.3?

Auto focus was having trouble keeping up, figured an extra little bit of field depth would help.

Miko
May 20, 2001

Where I come from, there's no such thing as kryptonite.
At least push it to f4.0? I would assume more light getting in would help your autofocus module pick out those edges. Also give you better subject separation.

Venusian Weasel
Nov 18, 2011

Miko posted:

At least push it to f4.0? I would assume more light getting in would help your autofocus module pick out those edges. Also give you better subject separation.

Most I can do with that telephoto is f4.6. I started off using that, and was having trouble with the focus, so I changed to f6.3 and it seemed to work a little better.

I'd probably spring for a better telephoto if I were doing this as a job, but I don't use it for sports enough to justify it.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Miko posted:

Autofocus operates with the lens wide open (F4.6 in this case). It doesn't stop down until you take a picture, where the increased DOF from the smaller aperture just helps hide slightly missed focus.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Got off my rear end today and did something besides playing hockey.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Finished the rest of the set. figured I'd pick three.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Run for your Lives November 17, 2013 Dade City, FL

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT MY AP WIRE PHOTOS

I usually just bring my 70-200 f/2.8 and 300mm f/2.8 for basketball. I also bring a wider lens that I swap out with the 300mm every so often. The problem with basketball is you get a million of the same shot.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Whistler December 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

Whistler December 2013 by hookshot88, on Flickr

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Finally got around to shooting a basketball game. I was pretty disappointed in what I was actually able to get. 99% of my shots were completely OOF and most of the rest were arms in front of faces. These were about the sharpest useable photos I was able to get out of a double header mens/womens games. One thing I did learn is that 1/320 is in no way a fast enough shutter for basketball. Any criticism would be welcome; I'm still really new to sports shooting. Also, I now utterly despise referees and I have hundreds of frames of their backs as a testament to my hate.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

You're getting some pretty good moments. (Expression on the first guy's face is hilarious too)

Some thoughts in no particular order:

1: Your white balance seems off in the first two, but fine in the 2nd. Did you change something? Should be pretty easy to W/B off the portland jerseys, although florescent lights can be very finicky too.

2: What's the arena like? Those huge windows at night behind the action is going to play hell with your camera, and might be part of why you can only get 1/320.

3: What kind of camera, lens(es), and settings are you using? Center meter might help a bit. Seeing the DOF, it looks like you have a fairly fast lens.

4: Don't let the number of missed shots discourage you. Indoor sports like basketball and hockey are brutal to shoot in even the best of situations because you've got a lot of big people in a relatively cramped area, and lighting is rarely good.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

DJExile posted:

Some thoughts in no particular order:

On the WB - I've been having ongoing issues with how my desktop reproduces color ever since I switched to Win8. I wouldn't be surprised if the color is off although it looks right on my desktop and tablet. I have no idea how to fix it other than "buy a new monitor that Win8 likes".

The arena is a large gymnasium with pull out seating on one side and huge floor to ceiling windows on the other. The lighting is actually brand new and pretty good, considering that its a community college. I'm using a Canon 1dmkIV and a Sig 70-200 f/2.8. I was also using a Canon 17-35 2.8 but that lens has some issues and needs servicing so I didn't get anything useful out of it. I was trying to stay at ISO1600 but I think I'd rather deal with noise than motion blur the next time out. Interesting thing I learned was that "2.8" can be wildly variable on different lenses. I got maybe 2/3 of a stop better light out of the wide angle. I wonder if that's because of focal length or manufacturer.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

I'm using a Canon 1dmkIV and a Sig 70-200 f/2.8. I was also using a Canon 17-35 2.8 but that lens has some issues and needs servicing so I didn't get anything useful out of it. I was trying to stay at ISO1600 but I think I'd rather deal with noise than motion blur the next time out.

That body handles ISO 3200 no problem, that's usually where I keep it even in a pretty bright arena. 6400 gets messy, but still beats motion blur.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune

BobTheCow posted:

That body handles ISO 3200 no problem, that's usually where I keep it even in a pretty bright arena. 6400 gets messy, but still beats motion blur.

I'm coming from wildlife shooting where noise is absolute murder so I was leery of going over 1600. These shots cleaned up pretty good though. I'm shooting another game in a week so I'll try bumping it up a stop and see how it goes. Have any of you used a 50mm 1.4 for basketball? I was finding that 70mm felt too tight under the bucket but 35 seemed too wide. I've heard the AF is slow on Canon's and misses a lot on Sigma's but the internet is full of grumpy perfectionist gearheads with ~*opinions*~ so I was curious if anybody has used one for indoor sports.

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!
Color run 5k Orlando 2014-01-11

Assigned to do Studio, after I was done with that I roamed around with my bracket and took this shot. Messed around with it in Lightroom.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

LuisX posted:

Color run 5k Orlando 2014-01-11

Assigned to do Studio, after I was done with that I roamed around with my bracket and took this shot. Messed around with it in Lightroom.

Looks like the horizon is off a touch. Great photo though!

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

Pukestain Pal posted:

Looks like the horizon is off a touch. Great photo though!

Ugh, I tried to get the horizon straight on many tries too :(

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

That's a seriously awesome shot, LuisX.

Chillbro Baggins
Oct 8, 2004
Bad Angus! Bad!

Finally got around to shooting a basketball game. I was pretty disappointed in what I was actually able to get. 99% of my shots were completely OOF and most of the rest were arms in front of faces... Also, I now utterly despise referees and I have hundreds of frames of their backs as a testament to my hate.

Yeah, that happens. You did well, considering the circumstances -- better than I ever did shooting high school hoops for the newspaper. Though, like football, some venues are better-lit than others. And you'll get a lot of referees' backs in any sport.

It really helps to have flash for basketball. And I don't mean an on-camera speedlite -- my college photojournalism class hauled the studio lights to the court and used pocketwizards. Shooting basketball is amazing with a big monolight at each corner.

Much like daytime college football games, that experience did not really prepare me for the harsh reality of actual photojournalism, where the outdoor games are mostly at night and the indoor games don't allow flash.

BobTheCow posted:

I'm coming from wildlife shooting where noise is absolute murder so I was leery of going over 1600. These shots cleaned up pretty good though.
Sports photography is more about getting the shot than having it be technically perfect. I used to shoot Friday night football with a Nikon D1. Maxed out at 3200 (or was it 1600? I forget), it was poo poo, but good enough for newsprint. This season, my younger coworker's D700 was in the shop and he had to use the old D2H, and was amazed that we were able to shoot football with that for years, because it's noisy as hell at 6400 compared to the D700.

There's the old adage about buying a cheap body and spending money on glass, but I think these days it may be the other way 'round -- I'd rather have a D4 and '90s f/4.5 film lenses than a D700 and new made-for-digital f/2.8 lenses. Because I am poor, I currently rock a D7000 and '90s midrange glass, but it still gets better results than the D1 and top-end f/2.8 lenses I used ten years ago -- the D7000's highest ISO looks about like the D1's highest, but is four stops faster.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Delivery McGee posted:

Sports photography is more about getting the shot than having it be technically perfect. I used to shoot Friday night football with a Nikon D1. Maxed out at 3200 (or was it 1600? I forget), it was poo poo, but good enough for newsprint. This season, my younger coworker's D700 was in the shop and he had to use the old D2H, and was amazed that we were able to shoot football with that for years, because it's noisy as hell at 6400 compared to the D700.

The wire editors care more about a great shot than some noise in the shot. On print it doesn't matter at all. In a mag, there is a fairy big investment in time editing the photos. I don't worry about noise much.

When I go through a review process every year, it's never about the noise. It's always about quality of photos.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah it's tough to get into that mentality but in sports it's definitely more about the moment itself than the technical aspects (noise, etc).

LuisX
Aug 4, 2004
Sword Chuck, yo!

DJExile posted:

That's a seriously awesome shot, LuisX.

Thanks man! I was prompted that it was going to happen. Took a bunch of shots and this one was the best of all

Regarding the above discussion, its about photos telling a story.

800peepee51doodoo
Mar 1, 2001

Scoff the festune
Thanks for the advice. I shot another double header on Wednesday and just got a chance to go through them today. I got a lot more keepers this time and yeah, 3200 is totally manageable. I even underexposed a touch to get 1/800 and it didn't seem to have a negative effect.

vxsarin
Oct 29, 2004

Thanks for the advice. I shot another double header on Wednesday and just got a chance to go through them today. I got a lot more keepers this time and yeah, 3200 is totally manageable. I even underexposed a touch to get 1/800 and it didn't seem to have a negative effect.

Underexposing then fixing it in post is going to cause more noise than just exposing correctly with a higher ISO.

Also, for basketball (nba,ncaa, etc), I usually shoot at like 1/500. The action is a bit slower than most sports. You could even get away with lower probably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

azathosk
Aug 20, 2006

Sup guys?
What do you guys recommend for icehockey? I've been experimenting with 1/640 and 1/800, but can't seem to get friendly with either of them. Could of course be due to the plexi glass between me and the players as well...

Some shots from the match between Vålerenga Hockey and Sparta Warriors:

Vålerenga Hockey - Sparta Warriors 2-4 by azathosk, on Flickr