Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Mustach posted:

I shouldn't be surprised that this just came out today and yet a bunch of people have already finished the game, collected every card, and beat Omega Weapon, but I am.

Either hijinks are involved, or you can use the savefiles from the non-steam version?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
Yeah, I was just thinking of old save files. I wonder what triggers the game uses to check for that stuff.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

You'd be wrong.

FF5 and 6 at bare minimum offered multiple player support. :colbert:

I'm sorry, I thought this was America where FFV came out after FFVIII and wait seriously FFVI had multiplayer features?

Also, depressingly, I remember those two kids in Charlie's Angels are faffing about in Balamb Garden but I can't tell you the name of any of the teachers I had that year in school.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

I'm sorry, I thought this was America where FFV came out after FFVIII and wait seriously FFVI had multiplayer features?

I was mostly kidding around but yep!

Yeah, FFV and FFVI both allows you to divide the cast up among controllers. FFIX lets you do it too actually.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I was mostly kidding around but yep!

Yeah, FFV and FFVI both allows you to divide the cast up among controllers. FFIX lets you do it too actually.

I remember FFIX doing that but you've now made the entire period of my life where I owned an SNES wasted because I never co-oped FFVI.

I would like an MMO drop-in drop-out FF6 feature for Android now that the possibility has been raised.

Zellyn
Sep 27, 2000

The way he truly is.
Yeah, I remember playing co-op FFVI because I sucked at Blitzes (until I discovered that you don't actually have to do down, down-left, left and can instead do down, down, left).

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
I vaguely recall FF IV also allowing a second player to control some of the party during battle.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Phantasium posted:

Maybe not the PC version, but the PS1 version was old enough that the Dual Shock existed at the time.

Aaah right, my bad.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

W.T. Fits posted:

I vaguely recall FF IV also allowing a second player to control some of the party during battle.

VI did it too. I did a whole two-player playthrough of it with some goon years ago when a multiplayer ZSNES client became a Thing here.

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side

NikkolasKing posted:

Sadly no. I'm a member of the forum where most all of FFVII's lovely mods come from and there is a forum for FFVIII mods too and it's pretty much nothing but a few difficulty patches or a translation tweak or a driver to display the game in higher resolution.

It's a tragedy too because, as much as I love FFVII, it doesn't need all the work that's been lavished on it. FFVIII does. It could really benefit from an overhaul of gameplay like people did with FFVII and maybe some other things too.

Out of curiosity, what are the good mods for FFVII? Are they PC mods? I seem to replay it every few years and always love it so I'm wondering what there is that might improve it or make it interestingly different

fronz
Apr 7, 2009

Lipstick Apathy

Bholder posted:

Either hijinks are involved, or you can use the savefiles from the non-steam version?

Someone just used a third-party program to give themselves the achievements.

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009
The steam version of FF8 promises chocobo mode. Does anyone know what this is? I really liked FF8 at the time but can never seem to make it past the sorceress mission in Galbadia when I try to re play it.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Paperhouse posted:

Out of curiosity, what are the good mods for FFVII? Are they PC mods? I seem to replay it every few years and always love it so I'm wondering what there is that might improve it or make it interestingly different

Well most of the mods are for PC but there are some for the PSX version. If you play the PC one,make sure of which version you use as a lot of mods aren't compatible with the 2012 version.

I didn't want anything too complicated with my FFVII mod. I just wanted it to not look like rear end. So back then I used what is called the Phoenix Rejuvination Project to make everyone not look like legos. Also FF7Music because the PC version had lovely MIDI tunes.

Nowadays everyone swears by a Unified Mod Installer that's easy enough to find on the Qhimm forums. You download and tinker with that poo poo first and then you can start adding your own mods. They say it makes everything easier and simpler but I wouldn't know as I haven't tried it.

I tried out a mod called Lost Wing for the PSX version and found it to be fun. I made it to Diamond Weapon before stopping because he was way too strong and required a lot of grinding which I did not feel up to Anyway, Lost Wing switches in a whole lot of new magic and weapons/armor and etc. It was actually just a test though for the guy's real mod which he is working on and sounds far more intriguing with stat and level growth changes to make it more like a Job System and all that. But who knows when that will come out, if ever.

I would suggest YouTube as there are tons of demo videos of mods in use.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Dec 6, 2013

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Speaking of Final Fantasy on the PC, here's the trailer for patch 2.1 for A Realm Reborn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_aliYN8hNk

Good goddamn that Final Fantasy 3 music is swank though.

Terper fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Dec 6, 2013

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Brasseye posted:

The steam version of FF8 promises chocobo mode. Does anyone know what this is? I really liked FF8 at the time but can never seem to make it past the sorceress mission in Galbadia when I try to re play it.

There was a weird little thing for the PSX called the pocketstation, it was basically the PSX's VMU, but it was Japan only. When you got Boko from a chocobo forest (which is further than you got btw), you could put him in you Pocket Station and he'd walk around and find poo poo for you like weapons and potions and I think he fights and levels up as a summon in your main game but I can't remember. This version is a teeeny little window that emulates it for you :v:

Dropped 12bux on this because why the heck not. It sounds a bit weird but it's nice to see some textures properly! I never knew Squall's bandages go over his nose!

Brasseye
Feb 13, 2009

Thanks, I do (very vaguely) remember the chocobo forest part of the game from my initial playthrough. Still, the textures looking a bit nicer probably justifies this purchase for me. Need an RPG to play before the ffx and x-2 remake comes out!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Oh ewwww there's no way to replace these awful midis, why in God's name would S-E do this to me?

Mustach
Mar 2, 2003

In this long line, there's been some real strange genes. You've got 'em all, with some extras thrown in.
VIII's chocobos are frustratingly the least-necessary yet have the best version of the chocobo theme: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xErfUvB7NI

Fight Club Sandwich
Apr 29, 2006

you want a piece of me???

Brasseye posted:

I hope it's just a turbo button where you can make walking, battles, cinematics, etc. go 8x faster and also that they include that mode for every re-release

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Shoehead posted:

Oh ewwww there's no way to replace these awful midis, why in God's name would S-E do this to me?

Hopefully they patch in the orchestral soundtrack like they did for VII.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Mokinokaro posted:

I really hope so, 'cos hearing "Man with the Machine Gun" in midi will break my heart.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Mokinokaro posted:

It's really odd they would realize the midis were a major turn-off in VII, decide it needed to be patched, and then still release VIII with the same problem. Were they hoping people wouldn't notice this time? Has anyone besides Square marketing this boneheaded?

BioMe fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Dec 6, 2013

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Mustach posted:

Yeah, I was just thinking of old save files. I wonder what triggers the game uses to check for that stuff.

Its probably just a really dumb 'if you hit X condition triggger X achievement" with no caring about the session at all. Honestly though I'd prefer a bunch of people cheating to get achievements (who cares?) to making it such that the Steam version has locked saves and you can't modify your saves or import saves from the other PC version.

Strenuous Manflurry
Sep 5, 2006

THE END
Can someone explain why the PC copies of Final Fantasy even have lovely midi music?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Terper posted:

Speaking of Final Fantasy on the PC, here's the trailer for patch 2.1 for A Realm Reborn.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R_aliYN8hNk

Good goddamn that Final Fantasy 3 music is swank though.

FF3 music and bosses, FFIX Moogle noises, FF:The Sims, Campy hairdresser nonsense, Siren boss, Ultima Weapon :allears:

A shame that I don't have the patience for the type of game, though...:smith:

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Pesky Splinter posted:

FF3 music and bosses, FFIX Moogle noises, FF:The Sims, Campy hairdresser nonsense, Siren boss, Ultima Weapon :allears:

The fanservicy stuff really helps a lot, instead of killing 10 rabbits for a quest it's 10 cactaurs and it somehow made a big difference to me. It's a shame it's not set in Ivalice or something, but I guess that's just my personal preference.

I'm actually learning how to play cards in FF8 this time. When I was 11 I just grinded out spells with draw, what kind of masochist was I?!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Shoehead posted:

I'm actually learning how to play cards in FF8 this time. When I was 11 I just grinded out spells with draw, what kind of masochist was I?!

You were at least smarter than me where my first playthrough unceremoniously ended at the missle base because I refused to draw magic because I found it boring and didn't realize items could be turned into magic so I was entirely surviving off of the magic that came from the magic sites.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Can someone explain why the PC copies of Final Fantasy even have lovely midi music?

From what I recall from the FF7 release, it was because they didn't have access to the source files due to all sorts of licensing issues and whatnot, so a lot of stuff had to be reverse engineered until they could actually find a backup. Probably the same case here.

That Fucking Sned
Oct 28, 2010

Strenuous Manflurry posted:

Crappy Jack posted:

From what I recall from the FF7 release, it was because they didn't have access to the source files due to all sorts of licensing issues and whatnot, so a lot of stuff had to be reverse engineered until they could actually find a backup. Probably the same case here.

The PSX games use synthesised music as well, since it takes up very little space, doesn't need to use a lot of the disc drive's bandwidth, and can be looped easily. When they released it for PC, they could have either written an emulator to accurately recreate the sound of the PSX games, or the could have stored recorded versions as .mp3 files. Since they were limited in terms of disc space, and didn't try to emulate the PSX sound files, they just converted the PSX sounds to MIDI sounds, even if this meant that the music wasn't as good quality. This also meant that the voiced chorus in the final boss battle were missing in the PC version.

When SE re-released it for Steam, they kept the original MIDI files, but a later patch replaced them with music that sounds just like the PSX version. Before that, it was possible to use a modding program to replace any music track with any .ogg file, so you could have high quality orchestral music, and it was possible to loop. When I used it, the only problem I had was that the world map music didn't continue where it left off whenever you went back to it, after coming out of battle or a town, so you wouldn't hear it all the way through unless you waited in place.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
I never played FF8. Can someone succinctly explain Draw and Junction?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Grand Theft Autobot posted:

I never played FF8. Can someone succinctly explain Draw and Junction?

Draw siphons spells from enemies, which the player equips as attributes or use as actual spells (for example, fire boosts attack). It's possible to reach 100 draws of a particular spell, say 100 casts of the fire spell, (So in our example fireX100 boosts the attack even more).

Junction is the process that allows the player to equip those attributes, by equipping summons, which grant abilities (as well as the use of that summon) - a non-junctioned character (i.e one without a summon) is only able to attack.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
In FF8, your magic is expressed in terms of inventory--instead of A knowing Firaga, he had 88 Firagas. Also, magic could be traded around like equipment, so he could give those 88 firagas to somebody else. Junctioning let you "assign" spells to your characters' stats, with the exact bonus depending on the mapping (Full-life boosts HP by a lot, strength not so much) and how much of the magic you had.

The "natural" way to obtain magic was to sit there in battle against something with the spell on their Draw table and use Draw a bunch, which would give you 1-9 copies of the spell. The slightly smarter way to obtain magic was to abuse the card game and obtain near-endgame magic in disc one.

The obvious consequence: since enemy stats scaled with your own level, but the vast majority of your stats (unless you abuse the +growth GF skills) came from your junctions, it was Optimal to never level up and instead play cards to get stupidly high stats.

e:f;b

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Pesky Splinter posted:

FFXIV ARR is pretty loving casual to level in and 2.1 is only going to make it easier. It was so cheap these last days that there was no excuse to not get it outside of not owning a ps3 or having a computer from the year 2005.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer
I got bored with FFXIV whenever to reach the next class level I had to level up dragoon to level 15. This patch might bring me back in.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

Cao Ni Ma posted:

FFXIV ARR is pretty loving casual to level in and 2.1 is only going to make it easier. It was so cheap these last days that there was no excuse to not get it outside of not owning a ps3 or having a computer from the year 2005.

I've never really been one for MMOs, and besides, I don't really have the time for it nowadays. Coupla years back, maybe.

Blattdorf
Aug 10, 2012

"This will be the best for both of us, Bradley."
"Meow."
There are, I guess, three points in FFVIII when you'd want to stock up on some magic:

- when you first leave Balamb Garden (just to have something to use for junctioning)
- when you're going through the sewers during the Edea assassination mission (maybe, since you can draw Bio or Zombie for some HP)
- once you can access those Marlboro islands with hidden draw points (since it's quicker to get end-game spells this way than use up items)

Aside from that, you just draw GF's and the occasional spell just because.

Armor-Piercing
Sep 22, 2009

Nightly dance
of bleeding swords

Also the number of spells you draw each time is increased by your magic stat, so if you do want to grind out spells that way prioritize your magic stat, then speed. Drawing nine spells at a time makes the process pretty quick.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

If you need money in FFVIII just cheat at the exams. The second the game starts you can max out your pay grade and even though it'll decline over time if you faff about too much you will be absolutely rolling in too much cash to care. This money lets you buy all the items you could ever want to turn into spells like tents->curaga for a nice several thousand HP boost in the first 20 minutes of the game.

It also lets you use FFVIII's incredibly poo poo custom chocobo, the 4-door Family Sedan.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Additionally, just in case your salary isn't enough, at the start of the second disc, you can access a refinement ability that can let you turn tents into mega-potions, which you can then sell at a 25% profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

DeadBonesBrook posted:

I'm surprised this hasn't been posted yet - http://www.siliconera.com/2013/12/03/final-fantasy-vi-coming-ios-android-winter-heres-looks-vs-snes-game/

Consensus on-line is mixed, I think the backgrounds are OK but the sprites are horrible.

It's a given that the FF6 remake's sprites are going to be :effort: conversions of the FFD characters just like we saw with FF5. The snow in the shot where they're up on the ledge in Magitek armor has a more detailed background but that's about it. The snow in the SNES version has more detail while on iOS it's just while and bright.

The Machine posted:

The style of sprites for the iOS/Android games looks like such awful, cheap, amateur garbage. I have a huge soft spot for FF6 but with the way it looks in the upcoming releases, I'm just going to avoid it.

Goddamnit, Square-Enix. Get your poo poo together.

They look like cheap garbage because the team that made them are the FFD/FF4:TAY people and while FFD's class/combat was solid with just god awful writing TAY was a complete trainwreck of fan service from start to finish. All they need to do is unfuck Sword Techs and update the SNES sprites rather than recolor the FFD ones and I'd be happy at this point.