Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Everything sorta depends on where they are in a year or so. If it's still a failure then expect them to scramble to get another console out. If it recovers and starts doing at least "meh" numbers you should probably expect them to keep it around for a while longer.

(Basing this on what happened with the 3DS.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

petrol blue posted:

How soon would people say Nintendo can take ol' Yella out back and do the decent thing?

Judging from this post, the only thing below 6 years is the Jaguar and 3D0, though that's 'between first and last games' rather than 'how soon can they release a new console'. Sega got 4 years for the Saturn before the Dreamcast, which I reckon is pushing the minimum they could get away with.

Another 3 years of albatross at minimum - does that sound about right? Having said that, the last generation has been quite long, 6-7 years or so, so what people will accept as a minimum might have changed, especially with increased costs for systems.

They'll let it limp along for four more years and follow their normal console release schedule. I don't see them killing it early unless there's a major change in leadership, which is entirely possible.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

petrol blue posted:

How soon would people say Nintendo can take ol' Yella out back and do the decent thing?

4 is the expected number. If sales don't improve meangfully and we stay in this rut that they're in I could see a 3 year life span with mature, 4th year titles moved to being next gen launch titles.

Kewpuh
Oct 22, 2003

when i dip you dip we dip
I dunno, I think overall it's been pretty badass to read an entire page about numbers and how they are used, and when to never trust them because they are lies.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Vintersorg posted:

Jesus loving christ these last few posts are whiny baby bullshit.

BUT BUT BUT SONY IS BAD AND LIED, THOSE NUMBERS CANT BE REAL
I don't really know why people keep talking about the potential for PS4/X1 to both crash. I guess their premise is that somehow the PS4 and Xbox One will both fail and somehow all the developers that already committed all of their resources to next gen engines will suddenly fall on their hands and knees and say "We're so sorry we turned our back on you Nintendo! We'll now come back for literally no reason to program for your strange non-x86 archetecture and microscopic install base!"

Or maybe they just think the industry is going to crash, which.. people claim is gonna happen every year dating back to the original Playstation.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Quest For Glory II posted:

I don't really know why people keep talking about the potential for PS4/X1 to both crash. I guess their premise is that somehow the PS4 and Xbox One will both fail and somehow all the developers that already committed all of their resources to next gen engines will suddenly fall on their hands and knees and say "We're so sorry we turned our back on you Nintendo! We'll now come back for literally no reason to program for your strange non-x86 archetecture and microscopic install base!"

Or maybe they just think the industry is going to crash, which.. people claim is gonna happen every year dating back to the original Playstation.

Its the second one. A lot of people were saying poor Bone/4 launches would indicate it wasn't Nintendo and the whole market was depressed which would be good for Nintendo or something but at this point were into that old standby "buy a PC" being the shouted reason.

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Barudak posted:

Its the second one. A lot of people were saying poor Bone/4 launches would indicate it wasn't Nintendo and the whole market was depressed which would be good for Nintendo or something but at this point were into that old standby "buy a PC" being the shouted reason.

Don't forget about the mobile market eating into console sales and they aren't needed anymore arguments as well.

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Asema posted:

Don't forget about the mobile market eating into console sales and they aren't needed anymore arguments as well.

I really don't understand the argument that mobile is eating into consoles. Handhelds I can see, like the 3DS has much more spikey sales than the DS did, and its more flat between major releases, but it doesn't make sense to me to say people will buy phone games instead of console/PC ones.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I really don't understand the argument that mobile is eating into consoles. Handhelds I can see, like the 3DS has much more spikey sales than the DS did, and its more flat between major releases, but it doesn't make sense to me to say people will buy phone games instead of console/PC ones.

Bad analysts see "video game" and have they're eyes glaze over assuming that a) the market can't expand and b) that they are equivalent goods.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I still have not seen a phone game that is not either a finely-tuned repetitive but addictive timewaster or a freemium idiot trap.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Monkey Fracas posted:

I still have not seen a phone game that is not either a finely-tuned repetitive but addictive timewaster or a freemium idiot trap.

Do Final Fantasy re-releases count?

I mean, those definitely are eating handheld sales but they're pretty much it.

waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

I think, at least from personal experience, it's not that people think "I will get a phone instead of a console to play games". Instead, it's more that occasional gamers may have bought a console in past generations to play a few games, but nowadays these people already have a smartphone or tablet, play games on there, and don't even think about getting a game console because they only ever used them as an occasional timewaster anyway.

I don't think it's a huge group of people who are doing this, mobile definitely affects handhelds way more than consoles, but I do think it impacts consoles a bit.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.
I walked past my local Game store today and noticed that the entire store was split in half. One half covered in green and being dedicated to Xbox products and the other side covered in Blue with Playstation written all over it the walls were pretty busy to. When I walked in my first thought was "Where is all the Nintendo stock?" The 3DS items were on their own stand-alone shelf and on the opposite side was all the 2nd hand Wii games but tucked away in the corner was the Wii U stuff sharing it's chart releases with the existing Wii games, no posters, no advertisements just a pre-packaged Wii with NSMBWu slashed to £250 with huge gaudy stickers over it saying it was on sale.

I'm a believer that even in business: two is a couple, three is a crowd. Pepsi and Coca-Cola, McDonald's and Burger King, Black & Decker and Bosch, Hewlett Packard and Dell etc.
Always two large cooperations that heavily compete with each other and anyone else that tries to get a slice of profit pie plays third wheel.

Nintendo now feels like it's the new SEGA. Got really successful constantly competing, made a ton of mistakes and got few notches taken out of it till... well you know what happened. Microsoft and Sony are using aggressive business tactics and constantly trying to one up each other. Nintendo at this point feels like it has bi-polar, they want to keep game production costs down but want to make big selling A+ titles that rake in the cash. They want to continue the Wii brand rolling on the success of the Wii but it's a totally different piece of hardware (that shares the same peripherals as it's last gen console) They want to target the casual family crowd again but no wait they want to appease to the core gaming base of fans. Someone mentioned a few pages back that Nintendo haven't moved up with it's competitors but has moved sideways knowing full well they couldn't compete with Playstation and Xbox so have gone down a different road and it works, I like that analogy.

Like others have said though as successful as the Wii was it was riding on a gimmick that treated it like a toy and when the casual market got bored of it Nintendo now has to rely on it's core fan base, but that fan base is getting older and won't hang around for 3 key games a year especially when those games are just constant use of their own IP with very small innovation.

So who is the key audience for the WiiU?

>Kids seems fine with Playstation and Xbox to play with their friends together and online.
>Your grand parents thought it was nice to play bowling for an hour that one rainy day when they visited.
>Core gamers are living in the golden age of gaming with HD, multi-player, constant updated games from soccer/football, FPS's, Big budget action games and PC downloads that encourage impulse purchases with ridiculous flash sale prices. They don't need another hastily put together 2D Mario with no online co-op, a full price HD remake of a 10 year old Zelda game and uuhh what looks like Viewtiful Joe and Pikmin with combat ripped out of Okami.

WiiU just has an irrelevant existence and Nintendo are really going to have to step up their game otherwise they will continue to hemorrhage more money. I understand it's not the most profitable thing to slash prices and just "get good games". But hey it seems to be working for the 3DS and no, removing the tablet controller is not a viable option. it's the key selling point of the system. It creates the features and benefits of the console and if you get rid of it what do you have left? A HD Wii.

I also wish the company would let the choke chain loose on the American division. I have a feeling if Reggie and the gang were given some freedom they could do some great things for the Western audience.

I want the WiiU to succeed I think if it creates competition it can help create innovation and that's good for us as consumers but they have to stop being run like an old fashioned Japanese company and have to get with the times. You heard me Iwata! I want my online capabilities increased and downloadable items put through a sales and discount structure! I'll buy you whole NES/SNES/N64 library if you just make the deal sweet!

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Is Nintendo actually losing money, or is it just not making as much money as it used to?

From what I recall, their financial problems basically amounted to Iwata apologizing to shareholders over smaller returns instead of "Nintendo-like profits".

Are they actually unsuccessful, or are they letting the smash successes of the pre-recession economy define them too much? If it's the latter, they'll come out the other side, but Grumpy Japanese Businessmen may have forced out Iwata before it happens.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Ronnie posted:

I'm a believer that even in business: two is a couple, three is a crowd. Pepsi and Coca-Cola, McDonald's and Burger King, Black & Decker and Bosch, Hewlett Packard and Dell etc.
Always two large cooperations that heavily compete with each other and anyone else that tries to get a slice of profit pie plays third wheel.

This is stupid and you should never mention this again.

You're basically saying only two brands can exist successfully in any one industry. Like, man is that dumb. Go to a store.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 19:54 on Dec 6, 2013

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

Is Nintendo actually losing money, or is it just not making as much money as it used to?

From what I recall, their financial problems basically amounted to Iwata apologizing to shareholders over smaller returns instead of "Nintendo-like profits".

Are they actually unsuccessful, or are they letting the smash successes of the pre-recession economy define them too much? If it's the latter, they'll come out the other side, but Grumpy Japanese Businessmen may have forced out Iwata before it happens.

They've been losing money recently for the first time in a very long time, and the WiiU itself is sold at a loss and apparently they aren't selling enough games or accessories to make up for that loss.

The two brands argument is pretty laughable though. There's plenty of room for a 3rd competitor (or more) in a market, even if they aren't competing on the same scale as the big two.

Delusibeta
Aug 7, 2013

Let's ride together.

Craptacular! posted:

The problem is that the "profits" are all entirely due to the depreciation in the yen, which means Nintendo's foreign currency in hand worth more in yen, enough to hide the losses they've been making from the bottom line. Were it not for that, they would be making quite noticeable losses right now.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Ronnie clearly said that there tend to be only two companies of a certain scale in an industry, not only two companies period. Don't be bloody obtuse.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Zack_Gochuck posted:

This is stupid and you should never mention this again.

You're basically saying only two brands can exist successfully in any one industry. Like, man is that dumb. Go to a store.

EDIT

AngryCaterpillar said it first.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Well with your fast food example, Wendy's and Subway are both big franchises competing and beating at least Burger King.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Isn't Wendys doing better than Burger King right now? There's no third wheel there.

e: As always, goons are the quickest to respond when fast food is involved.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

How big is KFC? It's probably in every town I've been in.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
In n Out probably kills it in California.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

NoneSuch posted:

How big is KFC? It's probably in every town I've been in.

According to wikipedia at least, KFC is the second biggest restaurant chain in the world.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

Delusibeta posted:

The problem is that the "profits" are all entirely due to the depreciation in the yen, which means Nintendo's foreign currency in hand worth more in yen, enough to hide the losses they've been making from the bottom line. Were it not for that, they would be making quite noticeable losses right now.

I feel like I hear this every single quarter when financial results come out. Can sometime tell me when Nintendo actually stats losing money? Thanks.

This is the first time we are seeing A LOT of multiplatform titles still being developed for the previous generation, and only really feel like they lack visuals instead of features. If you told me I could only get Watchdogs for the XBO/PS4 then I might become an early adopter, but considering I can still get the game for my PS3 I am holding off since I preceive the only difference as visuals.

I have no idea if other people feel the same way or not, but that's how I feel. The only reason I picked up a Wii U so early is because I know that they are not going to be porting games like 3D World to the Wii, I have to upgrade to play the games I want to play.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Astro7x posted:

This is the first time we are seeing A LOT of multiplatform titles still being developed for the previous generation,
What? No it's not. This is exactly how it was in 2005-2006 as well.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

According to wikipedia at least, KFC is the second biggest restaurant chain in the world.

KFC is almost always packed from what I see in Malaysia, but all the American stores I've ever been in usually never have more than a few people. I guess that's because there's more competition in the US with chains like Cane's, Popeye's, or Chick-fil-a.

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

But the rule of 2. This doesn't fit in with the prequels at all!

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

They tended to be more like different games under a different title, like CoD World at War. A lot of features would be missing compared to the newer versions, unlike today.

Ronnie
May 13, 2009

Just in case.

Codependent Poster posted:

Well with your fast food example, Wendy's and Subway are both big franchises competing and beating at least Burger King.

Really? That surprises me. Especially since Wendy's isn't a worldwide franchise like McD and BK. But then I guess from that example it means McDonald's and Wendy's are the big runners and like you said Burger King comes in just a little under.

But yeah fast food and consoles kind of different topics so I'll stop now.

In the later 80's early 90's it was Nintendo and Sega as the big cheeses in the industry with... I dunno... SNK just behind.
Then Sony came in and knocked Sega off that perch and lastly Microsoft through it's hat in to the ring and now SEGA's just software and look what's happened to Nintendo. I'm not saying it's Microsoft and Sony's fault the Wii U is failing but when push comes to shove, which do you thing will be the number one selling console this Christmas? The writings pretty much on the wall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AngryCaterpillar posted:

They tended to be more like different games under a different title, like CoD World at War. A lot of features would be missing compared to the newer versions, unlike today.

This is kind of unlikely to last very long. Companies are not going to want to remain restrained by the RAM on the PS3/X-Box 360 or the 360's DVD drive for much longer because it will be actually easier (and cheaper) to just develop for the One/PS4 once their audience has grown large enough.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Astro7x posted:

I feel like I hear this every single quarter when financial results come out. Can sometime tell me when Nintendo actually stats losing money? Thanks.
The has literally gone from 75 yen/dollar to over 100 in the past two years, it's not like it is made up. That's a 33% return on every dollar they are holding. Great for them, but that isn't renewable revenue.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

AngryCaterpillar posted:

That really depends. There were a lot of rushed launch titles for 360, like Madden 06 which was missing a ton of features and ran at only 25FPS instead of 60 like every other iteration of the franchise. Games like King Kong did not look significantly better on 360 than they did on Xbox. We had not yet reached the point where games were just PC ports set to Medium settings. There were still lots of compromises made as people were getting their bearings. The visual jump from current-gen to next-gen was not very large at the start of it, same as it is now.

Ultimately though it's more than just the new technology that will drive X1/PS4 sales so much as "going forward, you'll need one of these to keep playing your favorite franchises". And bear in mind, the PS2 was still very successful for a long time after the PS3's launch. But eventually that adoption will happen. Because there will be a Halo or an Uncharted or a Gears of War that's only on X1/PS4. And Microsoft will torch bank vaults full of money to market the poo poo out of those games as must-have experiences. Which Nintendo is unwilling to do for their own major franchises.

The 7th Guest fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 6, 2013

hemale in pain
Jun 5, 2010

Ronnie posted:

In the later 80's early 90's it was Nintendo and Sega as the big cheeses in the industry with... I dunno... SNK just behind.
Then Sony came in and knocked Sega off that perch and lastly Microsoft through it's hat in to the ring and now SEGA's just software and look what's happened to Nintendo. I'm not saying it's Microsoft and Sony's fault the Wii U is failing but when push comes to shove, which do you thing will be the number one selling console this Christmas? The writings pretty much on the wall.

I dunno know what you're saying, Wii u has been out for a year with zero competition until the last few weeks but it has no market appeal and nobody knows about it. My mum still thinks it's the same thing as the wii. I don't know how you can blame microsoft/sony for that.

Why oh god why wasn't it called the Wii 2.

hemale in pain fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Dec 6, 2013

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Should been called the Wii woo, or the Woo Wii. That kinda name sticks with you I feel.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
They should have called it Wii Station One. Think of how many sales they'd pick up from confused parents!

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real

You completely ignored the crucial second half to that sentence, but whatever... you clearly don't feel the same way or you would have agreed

NoneSuch posted:

My mum still thinks it's the same thing as the wii. I don't know how you can blame microsoft/sony for that.

My mom doesn't even know what a X Box is, she thought it was just the latest Nintendo system. Marketing failure on their part!

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Dec 6, 2013

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

It's just not how I remembered the previous gen launch. I used to be a major early adopter but that launch soured me on being an early adopter ever again. The games were not ready for primetime, had major constraints, and the thing I played most from that time was Geometry Wars.

And nobody understood how to make a UI for an HD game. They were universally terrible. HD doesn't mean you can just use tiny rear end 10 pt fonts, Capcom.

Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
Maybe it was the jump form SD to HD to me, and having a huge HDTV at the time. Plus I never had the network adapter for the PS2 for online.

Edit: And wireless controllers. I remember being huge on that.

Astro7x fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 6, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

My gamer friends explained to me the idea of the Nintendo tax on console generations today. The three I was/am hanging with all got PS4 at release, and two bought Wii U while out picking up their good console. when asked why, they explained that every generation you have to get the Nintendo console because they like Mario and Zelda and want to be able to play them.

Nintendo is literally relying on selling consoles via nostalgic idiots willing to spend hundreds of dollars to play their games.

• Locked thread