Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
drat, last time Kat was barely as tall as the door handle.

So what did Annie mean by "not over something like this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
I'm still waiting for the twist. Paradoxical as it sounds I'm going to be really surprised if there's not some kind of twist. I just can't see Tom going for the low-hanging fruit on this one.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
Spoiler for Annie in the Forest: Why yes, Annie, it's very rude of them to ask you to help clean the house. Y'know, the one you live in, meals included.

cafel
Mar 29, 2010

This post is hurting the economy!

Iceclaw posted:

Spoiler for Annie in the Forest: Why yes, Annie, it's very rude of them to ask you to help clean the house. Y'know, the one you live in, meals included.

Yeah when I read that it struck me as a very odd and almost shocking thing to say. Though I guess a lot of that has to do with my upbringing, and Annie's was kind of non-traditional. Maybe that kind of thing wasn't covered.

Though the ingratitude and sense of entitlement she has towards her host makes me think of her stealing that photo from the Donlans and copying Kats work without permission. Renard is surprised she'd do something like that to the people who are trying to make her feel welcomed, and she's putting her best friends academic career at risk since Kat's very likely to be brought up on disciplinary measures as well if Annie is ever caught. I guess I knew about all of these independently, but suddenly it's painting either a very thoughtless or a very callous picture.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I'd take a guess towards 'thoughtless, perhaps mildly ignorant about different people' rather than callous. She's not exactly a social butterfly at the best of times.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Annie is super ungrateful and thoughtless and has always been like that. It's one of her major character traits.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...

Lurdiak posted:

Annie is super ungrateful and thoughtless and has always been like that. It's one of her major character traits.

I think that kind of ties in with her reaction to what's going on with Kat - when you think about it, part of the reason she's so bad with people is that she's only really known 2 people (well, 2 human people) really well in her whole life: Surma and Kat. Any threat of losing the only friend she really has, or has really ever had, is likely to be pretty traumatic. Couple that with the fact that, aside from losing Surma, she's pretty much been allowed to do exactly as she has pleased her whole life (at Good Hope, where she apparently had free rein to run around and pick locks and what-not, and of course at the Court, endless detentions notwithstanding) and it's a recipe for, well, what she is.

Also, Annie in the Forest: So good!

Darth Windu
Mar 17, 2009

by Smythe
Annie in the Forest was much shorter than I expected. I would've felt a bit gypped by the 15 dollar price tag if I had bought it. Are normal short-form comics that expensive?

Morand
Apr 16, 2004

1: Start New Game
2: Start New Game
3: Start New Game

:aaa:

Giant Ethicist posted:

I think that kind of ties in with her reaction to what's going on with Kat - when you think about it, part of the reason she's so bad with people is that she's only really known 2 people (well, 2 human people) really well in her whole life: Surma and Kat. Any threat of losing the only friend she really has, or has really ever had, is likely to be pretty traumatic. Couple that with the fact that, aside from losing Surma, she's pretty much been allowed to do exactly as she has pleased her whole life (at Good Hope, where she apparently had free rein to run around and pick locks and what-not, and of course at the Court, endless detentions notwithstanding) and it's a recipe for, well, what she is.

Agreed. She spent her early childhood with basically only her mother and her emotionally dead father. She really doesn't know how to connect to anyone save Kat, who really only bonded with her as a joint outsider kinda thing, as she's missing that early social education just playing with other kids would have given her.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Darth Windu posted:

Annie in the Forest was much shorter than I expected. I would've felt a bit gypped by the 15 dollar price tag if I had bought it. Are normal short-form comics that expensive?

Print comics of that length (usually a little shorter due to ads but generally in the same ballpark) usually run three or four dollars (most Marvel/DC books are $3, some indies will go for $4). Annie in the Forest is a slightly different situation since it's a bit longer, doesn't have ads (or colors TBF), and isn't backed by a standard comic imprint, but I definitely looked at the price myself and decided it was just too steep no matter how nice it'd be to have a copy.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 6, 2013

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Darth Windu posted:

I'd be lying if I said I didn't feel a little disappointed when part 1 ended (I picked it up from Topatoco a while back), but the print version is gorgeous and if part of that price tag helps Tom do what he does, I'm all for it.

Snagged part 2 for 5 pounds via Thought Bubble (:respek: Nettle Soup) which was practically a steal.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011
I'm happy to donate 15 dollars to Tom to be honest. Rather give the money to him than most of the other people I buy stuff from.

Can those who've read part 2 let us know if there will be a part 3 or if Tom will be moving on to the paz story straight away, please?

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Part 2 is the end of AitF.

Cannonballoon
Jul 25, 2007

Darth Windu posted:

Yeah, it seems a bit short, but it really does look great on paper. I just thought of it as a donation with a free paper comic thrown in. At least now everyone can read it online. I'm still going to grab a paper copy of part 2 when it's available, though.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I wouldn't put Annie's tendency towards ungratefulness/entitledness at the fault of her isolation. I had a pretty isolated childhood, and other than the social awkwardness I'm basically afraid to accept anything from people, let alone expect it.

What I'm saying is basically when she's being a jerk it's because she's a jerk, not because of her childhood :v:

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

AitF would have looked amazing in colour, with all the forest hues.

cafel posted:

Yeah when I read that it struck me as a very odd and almost shocking thing to say. Though I guess a lot of that has to do with my upbringing, and Annie's was kind of non-traditional. Maybe that kind of thing wasn't covered.

She probably wouldn't have had to do much, if any, cleaning in a hospital (and I guess school) so maybe that's why she takes it for granted?

Ironic Twist
Aug 3, 2008

I'm bokeh, you're bokeh

Lurdiak posted:

Was it, though? What exactly has she had the opportunity to be ungrateful for in the past?

I'm trying to come up with some moments and I'm failing; maybe her running away from the Court in the first place was ungrateful to Kat and her family, but there were other emotions there that were eclipsing ungratefulness.

Cestrian
Nov 5, 2011

Ironic Twist posted:

Was it, though? What exactly has she had the opportunity to be ungrateful for in the past?

I'm trying to come up with some moments and I'm failing; maybe her running away from the Court in the first place was ungrateful to Kat and her family, but there were other emotions there that were eclipsing ungratefulness.

She's never grateful to Eglamore for rescuing her from ysengrin and reynard.

She has shown gratitude to lots of other people, mind.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I don't think Annie's reaction was unreasonable at all. She thought she would be treated as a guest, but she was treated as a member of the family. Guests usually aren't made to clean the house upon their first arrival. Have any of you ever been an exchange student and lived with a host family? Would you have been surprised if they shoved a broom in your hand as soon as you walked in the door?

Besides, she wasn't a brat about it, she just remarked later that she thought it was rude, and by modern social standards, it was.

Deformed Church
May 12, 2012

5'5", IQ 81

Yeah, thinking you shouldn't have to help at all is wrong, especially given that she was pushed on to them as much as she was invited, but they pretty much said "okay, guest, if you want to eat you're gonna get sweeping," which is pretty rude. If she refused to help clean up afterwards or something, it's her problem, but I can totally sympathise if she didn't like how pretty much immediately they treated her like she'd been there all her life as opposed to being a guest.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I think the point that's being put across, in the context of the story, is that Annie's being kind of a poo poo about it, regardless of what your own opinion might be.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
Just checked the online version of AitF; you're missing out if you don't get it on paper.

Torgover
Sep 2, 2006

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

kidcoelacanth posted:

I think the point that's being put across, in the context of the story, is that Annie's being kind of a poo poo about it, regardless of what your own opinion might be.

I say she's not, though, in the context of the story. She doesn't fit in with the group, which has been Annie's problem from the beginning of the comic, but it's not because she feels entitled or anything.

bigbigtruck
Feb 7, 2011

rattlesnake caught in a wheel well, strawberry in an ostrich throat
Also worth mentioning that the print version of AITF is a lot larger than your average comic, on much nicer paper. I think the black and white looks great, really nice and crisp :)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

Olivia42 posted:

I say she's not, though, in the context of the story. She doesn't fit in with the group, which has been Annie's problem from the beginning of the comic, but it's not because she feels entitled or anything.
Culture shock out the wazoo, yeah. Annie took long enough to figure out how a bunch of British human kids work, god only knows how awkward she feels now that she's dealing with teenaged faeries that are just as surprised and weirded-out as she is.

Darth Windu posted:

Since this is comic-connected: gypped is actually a slur aimed at 'gypsies'/Romani people, like Kat's mom, by typifying them as thieving, cheating bastards! It's sort of like 'jewed' except not as many people know the origin. :eng101:

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Drakyn posted:

Since this is comic-connected: gypped is actually a slur aimed at 'gypsies'/Romani people, like Kat's mom, by typifying them as thieving, cheating bastards! It's sort of like 'jewed' except not as many people know the origin. :eng101:
Also, many people consider the Romani to still be acceptable targets of ethnic prejudice, especially in Central and Eastern Europe.

Dogwood Fleet
Sep 14, 2013

Jones is very facially expressive (for Jones)

Drakyn
Dec 26, 2012

JT Jag posted:

Also, many people consider the Romani to still be acceptable targets of ethnic prejudice, especially in Central and Eastern Europe.
I've always thought that "people fear what is strange to them" probably had layers to it beyond the immediate moment's 'Surma all the muggles hate our guts' relevance.
e: and yeah, should've clarified: I think the ignorance of the etymology is more of a North American thing due to geographical distancing (which also can lead to a reaction of 'I didn't know that, but I barely know these people exist so so what?'). In Europe people are more likely to know what it means beforehand but not care anyways because of ^.

ee: oh hey Anja has the same nickname as Antimony does.

Dogwood Fleet posted:

Jones is very facially expressive (for Jones)
Nonsense, Ysengrim just now told us personally that she doesn't have any feelings. And we all know how good at relationships he is.
Come to think of it, I forget whether or not that advice of his was given in the comic already or if it's going to be making an appearance at some point in Annie in the Forest part 2.

Drakyn fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Dec 6, 2013

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

kidcoelacanth posted:

The thing I got out of that moment was that Jones couldn't give less of a poo poo about Annie's complaint.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

Olivia42 posted:

And the part where she responds to Ysengrin pointing out why the group is uncomfortable with her by trying to get Coyote and Ysengrin to order them to like her?

She's terrible at dealing with other people as equals and is only gradually working out that they're people at all; the reflexive retreat behind strict formality all through the comic is part of the same thing. I guess maybe not "entitled" in the sense of like some My Sweet 16 horror story but she pretty much assumes that she shouldn't ever have to accomodate anybody beyond following the basic standards of politeness to the letter.

Tubgirl Cosplay fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 6, 2013

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Darth Windu posted:

It's an import/export thing, the cover price at conventions is closer to $7.50 (£5 GBP). That's fairly standard for a large format small press/indy book.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
In short Annie inherited a vastly milder form of her fathers total social incompetence and is in the process of working it out.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Cool, Annie is the forest is pretty great.

I can understand Annie's entitlement. And having such a nasty flaw that most graphic works would shy away from in making a likable protagonist without moralizing and having her learn a lesson about it immediately is interesting. She was pretty much all alone for a lot of her life and doesn't understand the give and take of social actions. Maybe now is when she'll learn.

Heh, first the elfboy she likes is gay so she can't date him and now her main babe is seeing another girl and won't be spending all her time with her. Maybe that's why she's so confused.

Fecha
Nov 4, 2006

Did I... did I miss anything important?

Rita Repulsa posted:

Cool, Annie is the forest is pretty great.

I can understand Annie's entitlement. And having such a nasty flaw that most graphic works would shy away from in making a likable protagonist without moralizing and having her learn a lesson about it immediately is interesting. She was pretty much all alone for a lot of her life and doesn't understand the give and take of social actions. Maybe now is when she'll learn.

Heh, first the elfboy she likes is gay so she can't date him and now her main babe is seeing another girl and won't be spending all her time with her. Maybe that's why she's so confused.
Irial looks like a woman to me.

ChairMaster
Aug 22, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Pretty sure that's not a dude.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

ChairMaster posted:

Pretty sure that's not a dude.

The name is also decidedly feminine.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747
I thought Irial was a girl too. That said, regardless of this character's gender, the important point here is that Annie's crush is already in a relationship.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
I thought Irial was a boy as well at first glance, for what it's worth. That chest says otherwise, though.

Tubgirl Cosplay
Jan 10, 2011

by Ion Helmet

IronicDongz posted:

I thought Irial was a boy as well at first glance, for what it's worth. That chest says otherwise, though.

Those are actually anthers, Kamlen's the female.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Hat
May 28, 2006

SharkTales!
Woo-oo!

Not a spoiler: he calls her "woman" in part 2.