Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

At night, most of Nellis will be asleep in the barracks. Kill them. gently caress ever doing all of that busywork ever again.

The last straw was when they refused me medical treatment after I limped out of their goddamned artillery barrage on two useless bloody stumps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Raygereio posted:

It depends more on the build you're going for. Levelling science early to get Vigilant Recycler could be usefull for an energy weapons build for example.
This is true, but it's still not maxing out the skill or "never raise anything else until this is done first."

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Is there a mod that fundamentally changes the lockpick/password mechanisms?

I'm looking for less "ooh, you have 49 Lockpick, you can't even try to unlock this Medium lock!" & more of a "You have 20 lockpick, every lock has the tiny sliver of a target zone vanilla Very Hard locks have"/"You have 100 lockpick, every lock has the giant target zone vanilla Very Easy locks have" type of deal. Same thing with passwords: lovely science, long password; good science, shorter password.

Seems more realistic that a great lockpicker probably only needs a couple bobby pins and a few moments to open just about anything & a bad lockpicker needs a lot more pins & a lot longer. It'd also open up the skill tree to me when I don't have to commit a dozen levels to boosting lockpick & science just for the privilege of trying to open locked things.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."
Yeah, that is not great advice. Seriously, Medicine? The one that makes stimpaks slightly more overpowered and had like four situational skill checks outside of that?

Also, for what it's worth, I take Barter over Speech when playing hardcore mode. It has almost as many checks as Speech in the base game and it unlocks the pack-rat perk, which is incredibly useful for hauling ammo around.

It only becomes an issue with the DLCs, as each one ends with an incredibly high Speech check that doesn't really have an alternative (like, you can talk down Graham in honest Hearts but not fully reform him, or you can help either God/Dog in Dead Money but not cure his schizophrenia, though it is kind of insane that you could in the first place).

rope kid
Feb 3, 2001

Warte nur! Balde
Ruhest du auch.

ChibiSoma posted:

The map in NV is already tiny
This really never gets old.

Octo1
May 7, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

Just suck down a couple of turbos and leg it to the front gate.

I have literally done this every single time. Turbo is the best chem

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 19 days!

oldskool posted:

I'm looking for less "ooh, you have 49 Lockpick, you can't even try to unlock this Medium lock!" & more of a "You have 20 lockpick, every lock has the tiny sliver of a target zone vanilla Very Hard locks have"/"You have 100 lockpick, every lock has the giant target zone vanilla Very Easy locks have" type of deal. Same thing with passwords: lovely science, long password; good science, shorter password.

Seems more realistic that a great lockpicker probably only needs a couple bobby pins and a few moments to open just about anything & a bad lockpicker needs a lot more pins & a lot longer. It'd also open up the skill tree to me when I don't have to commit a dozen levels to boosting lockpick & science just for the privilege of trying to open locked things.

I'd love this as well, and just found this lockpick mod:

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/47039/

Not tried it yet, though.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Octo1 posted:

I have literally done this every single time. Turbo is the best chem

I usually just take some med-x and slam a few dozen stimpaks into my thighs. There should be a dialogue option with the Boomer at the gate reflecting that too. :colbert:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah every time I load up new vegas and travel along the southern roads, I always think to myself, "drat this map is tiny" as I approach hour seven and I'm not even half way to new vegas.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

oldskool posted:

This wouldn't really work because then you wouldn't ever need to invest in either skill if you were good at the mini-games.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED
Is it the opinion of this thread that a stealthy playthrough is viable? I'm talking about sneaking around every combat zone and getting stealth criticals with melee weapons without alerting their buddies, and spending as little time as possible in open combat. The stealth mechanics in this game seem to me to be spotty at best, but I've never built around pure stealth before either. I'd rather not try it if the mechanic just isn't built well enough to pull off without a ton of frustration.

Also, if such a run IS viable, is the Stealth Suit Mk. II worth using? The wiki lists several bugs that would do nothing but add frustration, but I don't know how up-to-date it is. Would I be better off just using actual light armor with a sneak skill bonus instead?

Edit: double negative clarification

Che Delilas fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Dec 7, 2013

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

Doug Lombardi posted:

This wouldn't really work because then you wouldn't ever need to invest in either skill if you were good at the mini-games.

That's pretty much exactly how it works in Skyrim (a in you can pick any lock, but the hard ones take tons of picks/patience). I'm not sure why it's a problem that suddenly you don't need to blow bunch of skill points that could be used better elsewhere.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

It's best if you just ignore ChibiSoma's complaints, he's pretty famous for making mountains out of molehills. He's the guy who uninstalled Bastion because it wouldn't work out of the box with his controller, despite the devs offering to buy him a new controller.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Dec 7, 2013

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Kimmalah posted:

That's pretty much exactly how it works in Skyrim (a in you can pick any lock, but the hard ones take tons of picks/patience). I'm not sure why it's a problem that suddenly you don't need to blow bunch of skill points that could be used better elsewhere.

Because it's bad to have an RPG system with useless skills in it.

Same reason why you can't use bombs to open safes- because if you have two skills, one of which is "open locks", and the other one being "blow things up, and open locks", why would you ever choose the first one?

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Because it's bad to have an RPG system with useless skills in it.

Same reason why you can't use bombs to open safes- because if you have two skills, one of which is "open locks", and the other one being "blow things up, and open locks", why would you ever choose the first one?

Because the second carries the very real risk of damaging the goods behind the locks. Or at least, it does with competent game design. I belive KOTOR 2 did that.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

i am tim! posted:

Because the second carries the very real risk of damaging the goods behind the locks. Or at least, it does with competent game design. I belive KOTOR 2 did that.

But now you are putting a hell of a lot of extra factors in the game for a very limited payoff. When designing skills for a game, each skill should be useful and unique. It should also be as simply designed as possible to prevent bugs.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Kimmalah posted:

It's dumb in Skyrim. It would be better if the skill were merged with some broader skill. Some kind of "survival, but for building things" or similar.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
It also implicitly degrades the lockpicking skill- because instead of becoming, mechanically "Get quite a few extra items every map", it becomes "Get a few more items than you would have gotten by just taking Explosives every map".

Really, at some points, I think it should have been combined with Sneak and turned into like, "Stealth"? I don't know. They did a good job making the other skills have multiple uses, but there's only so much you can do with "Pick locks".

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
These loving invisible walls are really starting to piss me off. Trying to get to Red Rock Canyon. I figure okay, I'll go to Jacobstown. Nope. Mountains have invisible walls. So alright, I'll go to the North Gate and head west. Nope! loving poisonous flies that take 30 shots to kill (here we loving go with this horseshit of nothing being able to damage anything!) and all the mountains are packed with invisible walls. This is the area around Brewer's Beer Bootlegging, for the record.

I know I can't just go to Goodsprings and head north. Here there be Deathclaws. And if I can't kill these flies in under a couple dozen shots a pop with anything except the grenade launchers that also cripple me (because they're too fast to shoot and I can't VATS with it!) I sure as hell won't be able to take down a Deathclaw!

Doing the achievements in Skyrim was a mistake purely because it spoiled me. Enemies that you could kill (and couldn't see you from a mile away), a bigger world with actual colors other than brown and a slightly lighter shade of brown, and most of all, an open world that was actually loving open world!

So I'm stumped! I have no loving idea how to get to where the Khans are. With how Bethesda tries preventing you from exploiting their busted-rear end engine to make travel not take an hour, I'm just naturally assuming the path from the west is off-limits, too.

It was like trying to get to the Hoover Dam. I hopped in the lake near where I raised that Bomber and swam over to the nearest beach... nope, all walls. Despite the fact that the terrain is only mildly sloped and you could easily walk up it, it's blocked for noooo loving reason. Ditto trying to trigger the fast travel point by swimming up to the dam. There's a gated off area that you can't jump over. You can get on the barrels, but the Courier suddenly becomes scared of a 3-inch high net in the water.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Fag Boy Jim posted:

Really, at some points, I think it should have been combined with Sneak and turned into like, "Stealth"? I don't know. They did a good job making the other skills have multiple uses, but there's only so much you can do with "Pick locks".
"Pick locks" is still really good, though, and very much worth investing in up to 75.

ChibiSoma posted:

So I'm stumped! I have no loving idea how to get to where the Khans are. With how Bethesda tries preventing you from exploiting their busted-rear end engine to make travel not take an hour, I'm just naturally assuming the path from the west is off-limits, too.

It was like trying to get to the Hoover Dam. I hopped in the lake near where I raised that Bomber and swam over to the nearest beach... nope, all walls. Despite the fact that the terrain is only mildly sloped and you could easily walk up it, it's blocked for noooo loving reason. Ditto trying to trigger the fast travel point by swimming up to the dam. There's a gated off area that you can't jump over. You can get on the barrels, but the Courier suddenly becomes scared of a 3-inch high net in the water.
There are a couple of places where the invisible walls are legitimately aggravating (trying to get to the Cazadors for Red Lucy's hunt), but here you're either trolling or being a moron who can't possibly try a different approach than the first one that sprung to mind. You get to the Khans from the open area SW of Vegas (hint: it's the spot where the mountains have a bunch of red rocks), and the Dam by following the roads east of Boulder City.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Che Delilas posted:

Is it the opinion of this thread that a stealthy playthrough is viable? I'm talking about sneaking around every combat zone and getting stealth criticals with melee weapons without alerting their buddies, and spending as little time as possible in open combat. The stealth mechanics in this game seem to me to be spotty at best, but I've never built around pure stealth before either. I'd rather not try it if the mechanic just isn't built well enough to pull off without a ton of frustration.

Also, if such a run IS viable, is the Stealth Suit Mk. II worth using? The wiki lists several bugs that would do nothing but add frustration, but I don't know how up-to-date it is. Would I be better off just using actual light armor with a sneak skill bonus instead?

Edit: double negative clarification

One of my favorite builds is stealth, energy weapons, and science. Science lets you recycle spent energy cells and (with perks) make supercharged cells that are more likely to one hit kill. At energy weapons 90 you get Meltdown, which makes your energy weapon kills explode like plasma grenades (and if that kills the guy next to him, he explodes too, ultimately killing everyone in the hallway). Many indoor fights are over in 1 shot this way as the chain reaction will kill everyone nearby. After maxing stealth and energy weapons and getting deep enough into science for super ammo, you can sink some points into explosives for Hit The Deck which is obviously pretty important to your survival now, then any other explosive perks to increase damage/radius of the plasma explosions. This will also constantly kill your companions so it's probably best for a loner playthrough.

I've never had much luck consistently sneaking into melee range, though.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 7, 2013

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Head southwest from Vegas and get a better weapon.

rope kid posted:

This really never gets old.
That's probably due to the amnesia I assume you have, since you never specified that you don't.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

ChibiSoma posted:

These loving invisible walls are really starting to piss me off. Trying to get to Red Rock Canyon. I figure okay, I'll go to Jacobstown. Nope. Mountains have invisible walls. So alright, I'll go to the North Gate and head west. Nope! loving poisonous flies that take 30 shots to kill (here we loving go with this horseshit of nothing being able to damage anything!) and all the mountains are packed with invisible walls. This is the area around Brewer's Beer Bootlegging, for the record.

I know I can't just go to Goodsprings and head north. Here there be Deathclaws. And if I can't kill these flies in under a couple dozen shots a pop with anything except the grenade launchers that also cripple me (because they're too fast to shoot and I can't VATS with it!) I sure as hell won't be able to take down a Deathclaw!

Doing the achievements in Skyrim was a mistake purely because it spoiled me. Enemies that you could kill (and couldn't see you from a mile away), a bigger world with actual colors other than brown and a slightly lighter shade of brown, and most of all, an open world that was actually loving open world!

First of all, Bethesda didn't design this game, so the invisible walls aren't really their fault. If you're on PC there is a mod that can remove the invisible walls. As for getting to the Canyon go to Camp McCarran. Go to the road that goes east/west to the south of it and follow it West. You'll eventually reach a road going north/southwestish along the edge of the mountains. Follow it until you see an open valley to the West with a stone sign that says Red Rock Canyon State Park. Go west until you see a canyon with red rocks to the north. Enter the canyon.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

caleramaen posted:

First of all, Bethesda didn't design this game, so the invisible walls aren't really their fault. If you're on PC there is a mod that can remove the invisible walls. As for getting to the Canyon go to Camp McCarran. Go to the road that goes east/west to the south of it and follow it West. You'll eventually reach a road going north/southwestish along the edge of the mountains. Follow it until you see an open valley to the West with a stone sign that says Red Rock Canyon State Park. Go west until you see a canyon with red rocks to the north. Enter the canyon.
There are literally signposts in the gameworld to get you to where you want to go. There are also roads that link every major settlement to each other, albeit not necessarily the most directly.

quote:

Oh god, not enemies you can't kill from the word go! Whatever will you do?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

2house2fly posted:

That's probably due to the amnesia I assume you have, since you never specified that you don't.

Hahaha...I see what you did there.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

gggiiimmmppp posted:

One of my favorite builds is stealth, energy weapons, and science. Science lets you recycle spent energy cells and (with perks) make supercharged cells that are more likely to one hit kill. At energy weapons 90 you get Meltdown, which makes your energy weapon kills explode like plasma grenades (and if that kills the guy next to him, he explodes too, ultimately killing everyone in the hallway). Many indoor fights are over in 1 shot this way as the chain reaction will kill everyone nearby. After maxing stealth and energy weapons and getting deep enough into science for super ammo, you can sink some points into explosives for Hit The Deck which is obviously pretty important to your survival now, then any other explosive perks to increase damage/radius of the plasma explosions. This will also constantly kill your companions so it's probably best for a loner playthrough.

Yeah I was mostly wanting to play as Sam Fisher, not just a combat character who can open a fight with a super crit. I feel like the game just isn't built for that though. Alas.

I have done what you describe with energy weapons and meltdown/explosives perk synergy. It gets pretty crazy. A lot of chaos, unconscious companions, and crippled limbs in that build. It was fun.

Sinnlos
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about believing in magical rainbow gold

ChibiSoma posted:

New Vegas is larger than Skyrim in terms of map size. 128 by 129 cells versus 119 by 94 cells.

Also, try using roads like a reasonable person.

Doug Lombardi
Jan 18, 2005

gggiiimmmppp posted:

Meltdown drops off extremely quickly, because the damage a meltdown does doesn't scale with your weapon so it will barely scratch anything past level 20. Meltdowns inherit any special properties of your weapon however, so you can use a weapon like the Compliance Regulator to stun large groups of enemies with the meltdown.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Che Delilas posted:

Yeah I was mostly wanting to play as Sam Fisher, not just a combat character who can open a fight with a super crit. I feel like the game just isn't built for that though. Alas.

I have done what you describe with energy weapons and meltdown/explosives perk synergy. It gets pretty crazy. A lot of chaos, unconscious companions, and crippled limbs in that build. It was fun.

You can kind of do that to bypass stuff, but you'll probably need to use some stealthboys to get the cloak effect. There's mods that can make that part of some armor or otherwise enable it without using consumables. Sneak for the win is totally viable lots of times, but the stealth system is pretty rough until you've invested a lot in it, in my experience.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Doug Lombardi posted:

Meltdown drops off extremely quickly, because the damage a meltdown does doesn't scale with your weapon so it will barely scratch anything past level 20. Meltdowns inherit any special properties of your weapon however, so you can use a weapon like the Compliance Regulator to stun large groups of enemies with the meltdown.

I've never experienced this and the wiki says otherwise:

quote:

The damage dealt by meltdown is relative to the damage dealt by the weapon that killed the target. A powerful weapon, such as the Gauss rifle, can trigger a meltdown dealing upwards of 300 damage whereas a flamer's meltdown would be closer to 11.

Though sometimes you do need to kill a second guy to get the chain reaction going to kill everyone. I usually roll with the Q-35 and Pew Pew with max charge ammo.

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 7, 2013

ChibiSoma
Apr 13, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Not sure I've ever followed the road in an open world game. Bethesda really hates people trying to explore. Not sure how to get to the Great Khans Encampment, but it isn't "From the west" or "From the east." South's blocked, so I guess I'll travel somewhere north and try that. Gotta be some direction that doesn't walk me right into Deathclaw territory, right?

Man, fast traveling to Goodsprings Cementary and going from there was bad. A colony of Giant Radscorpions, a dozen or so Cazadors, and then Deathclaws that took a page out of XCOM's book and started warping behind me. :mad: I'd used my Antivenom and Stimpaks by then. I was checking around me regularly. You remember that part of Jurassic Park where Muldoon dies because he was tracking one raptor then another came out of nowhere and attacked? That, just with one Deathclaw. The indicator blip was lying or something. I'd be walking towards it, then it'd vanish, and suddenly a Deathclaw was slappin' my back apart.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011
Now you're just straight up trolling.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If you want to get everywhere in the world easily at level 1 just turn on godmode.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

ChibiSoma posted:

Not sure I've ever followed the road in an open world game. Bethesda really hates people trying to explore. Not sure how to get to the Great Khans Encampment, but it isn't "From the west" or "From the east." South's blocked, so I guess I'll travel somewhere north and try that. Gotta be some direction that doesn't walk me right into Deathclaw territory, right?

Man, fast traveling to Goodsprings Cementary and going from there was bad. A colony of Giant Radscorpions, a dozen or so Cazadors, and then Deathclaws that took a page out of XCOM's book and started warping behind me. :mad: I'd used my Antivenom and Stimpaks by then. I was checking around me regularly. You remember that part of Jurassic Park where Muldoon dies because he was tracking one raptor then another came out of nowhere and attacked? That, just with one Deathclaw. The indicator blip was lying or something. I'd be walking towards it, then it'd vanish, and suddenly a Deathclaw was slappin' my back apart.

You do realize that the indicator for enemies is only in front of you, and limited in range by your perception, right? First deathclaw probably left your detection range, and the second one was behind you.

Also, what's wrong with following the road in an open world game? I did that in JC2. And GTA. And RDR. Turns out roads are pretty awesome for getting places!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You do realize that the indicator for enemies is only in front of you, and limited in range by your perception, right? First deathclaw probably left your detection range, and the second one was behind you.

Also, what's wrong with following the road in an open world game? I did that in JC2. And GTA. And RDR. Turns out roads are pretty awesome for getting places!

Also going from the road is high risk high reward exploring you can find some overpowered poo poo if you venture into dangerous places above your level, something sorely missing from Oblivion/Skyrim.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Yeah, I do like that almost every gun, even the non-unique ones that drop at high levels, have guaranteed spawns if you want to seek out and find them. Always nice to get the 12.7mm SMG, or the Riot Shotgun 15 levels early.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Sinnlos posted:

New Vegas is larger than Skyrim in terms of map size. 128 by 129 cells versus 119 by 94 cells.

Skyrim's cells must be a fair size, because no way is the game world physically smaller than New Vegas.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

2house2fly posted:

Skyrim's cells must be a fair size, because no way is the game world physically smaller than New Vegas.

Skyrim is the same size as Oblivion according to Bethesda, so it wouldn't surprise me if it was smaller.

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

ChibiSoma posted:

You are whiny as poo poo.

Playing on the PC? Go grab the Invisible Wall Removal mod. Also, for more color, grab fellout which removes the orange filter on the world, makes it more colorful, but also makes nighttime actually dark.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

socialsecurity posted:

Also going from the road is high risk high reward exploring you can find some overpowered poo poo if you venture into dangerous places above your level, something sorely missing from Oblivion/Skyrim.

You can stumble into areas that will beat you down in Skyrim actually, it scales areas to a certain extent only. Fallout 3 and Morrowind had similar systems.

e: Misread your post thought you meant overpowered enemies not items, sorry.