Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

DrSunshine posted:

I dealt with the problem of Gavelkind by keeping but one highest title until I could conquer enough land to create an Empire. So long as you keep a single Ducal and Kingly title, you can merrily conquer as much as you please, and only lose some counties when your ruler dies, rather than risk the realm being split up.

So do you even bother spending the time after succession to consolidate in your barony? Or is it just hope they make good vassals and all aboard the conquest train? I'd be terrified because like I said, I noticed that unless I supplied the troops myself, my vassals levies were just pathetic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Speaking of Gavelkind why the hell am I losing my Capital county when succession occurs?

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Eimi posted:

This is probably late to the party, but in regards to that amazing Ivar game up there, what are the hints to dealing with Gavelkind? The furthest I've got was making Norway while keeping Sweeden/Svip-whatever on the back foot, but in that game Denmark is amazing and can field like 6000 troops, while my personal levys are like in the 2600's and my vassals maybe give me 1000. So I pretty much cannot conquer Denmark for the third holy site. And both the non-Norse holy sites are safe and sound in heavily fortified/allied Christian nations. Sadly my ruler is on their last legs and when she dies there are three kids hungry to tear the realm apart and undo all my work. Is there something I messed up to get my vassal levy's so drat small?

What good the Dr. said is good advice - only keep one top-level holding. I was lucky enough to be able to form the Empire of Britannia and switch to Elective all within Ivar's lifetime. Otherwise I would have had more issues. Also I was able to chain-reaction vassalize pretty much the entirety of Norse Scandinavia, IIRC I was able to get it started because one of the petty kings in Denmark had a few counties in England... or maybe the Norse duke/p. king of Jorvik had a few counties in Denmark. By the time I started conquering Catholic land, I had enough vassals that the low vassal levies didn't hold me back. (oh, also Brittany was independently conquered by a Norse invasion so I conquered an adjacent county then vassalized)

Maybe try picking off OPMs on the mainland when they're vulnerable to build up your levies and retinue allowance?

E: It's also a good investment to build baronies in your capital and keep them, so when you use the martial's "Raise Troops" ability you have multiple holdings getting the bonus.

Also check your crown laws.

SurgicalOntologist fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Dec 6, 2013

TheQuad
Jan 16, 2009
DrSunshine, I think I just discovered why no one speaks about the Elders of the Abyss.

That's pretty sick, Chubs.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
I gave them "divine blood" marriages just like the Zoroastrians. I figure that, hey, when you're a crazy evil cult devoted to worshiping supposed blood-drinking creatures that live at the bottom of the sea, why not.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

DrSunshine posted:

I gave them "divine blood" marriages just like the Zoroastrians. I figure that, hey, when you're a crazy evil cult devoted to worshiping supposed blood-drinking creatures that live at the bottom of the sea, why not.

Sorry, but what exactly is your mod? I've been looking through the thread, and all I can find are download links, no description.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

DStecks posted:

Sorry, but what exactly is your mod? I've been looking through the thread, and all I can find are download links, no description.

Oh! Gee, sorry, I guess I never summarized it! :sweatdrop:

It's a fantasy mod that creates a new map-- the realm of Sonendar (and associated landmasses). It's kind of a series of small islands, to contrast with the mostly land-based map in vanilla CK2. I made up a lot of original cultures and religions to populate it, and there's a lot of custom events, laws, and decisions as well.

A more thorough description is available in the Paradox forums thread.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DStecks posted:

It's a great mod and one of my favorites, grab it and go rolling around being a feudal dickbag in a whole new world :black101:

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere

DrSunshine posted:

Oh! Gee, sorry, I guess I never summarized it! :sweatdrop:

It's a fantasy mod that creates a new map-- the realm of Sonendar (and associated landmasses). It's kind of a series of small islands, to contrast with the mostly land-based map in vanilla CK2. I made up a lot of original cultures and religions to populate it, and there's a lot of custom events, laws, and decisions as well.

A more thorough description is available in the Paradox forums thread.

How did you make it? I'm interested in making a custom map mod for my own fantasy world, but I'm not sure where to start with regard to map creation.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Mister Adequate posted:

Speaking of Gavelkind why the hell am I losing my Capital county when succession occurs?

It's still broken sometimes, usually it's when you have more holding than children.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

alcaras posted:

How did you make it? I'm interested in making a custom map mod for my own fantasy world, but I'm not sure where to start with regard to map creation.

Long story short-- it's really complicated and takes a lot of figuring out. I basically pored over this tutorial and a few others on the CK2 forum.

The basic thing is: you need a big bmp file with a bunch of provinces. Each province needs its own unique color, and each color needs to be defined by its RGB values in definition.csv. Also, you'll need to create a custom file for the rivers, and another file for the terrain biomes. Finally, you'll need to create a custom atlas, a custom ocean map, and a custom terrain map (in the Terrain folder in ck2/map). That gets you the most basic map.

You also need to learn how to create normal maps and height maps. I used the NVidia plugin for Photoshop. This creates the 3d terrain.

After all that, you'll need to check out /ck2/landed_titles to create custom kingdoms, empires, duchies and counties and define all your counties' baronies, and you'll need to create localizations so that all the counties and such have names.

All of this is elaborated in the various map tutorials. It's a huuuuge amount of work, though. Map modding and history-defining is easily the most tedious, difficult, and repetitive part of CK2 modding!

=======================

Mister Adequate posted:

It's a great mod and one of my favorites, grab it and go rolling around being a feudal dickbag in a whole new world :black101:

EDIT: Here are some things you can do in Sonendar:

• Restore the Yuan Empire as one of the feuding kings of the Leung or Zhao Dynasties
  • Defeat all your rivals through the power of money by cornering the global gold market as the Grand Prince of Rozha

• Conquer the shorelines of the continent and recreate the Great Age of Piracy as 12 year old Pirate Queen Janessa Mancrusher:black101:
  • Scheme and get yourself elected Great Gaffer of the Pawxatuck Confederacy
  • Reunite the Kingdoms of the Reichsmarch and declare yourself Reichsmarschall
  • Unite the Aaqiuk tribes and prepare to hold off the plague of The Hungry Ones as one of the Chiefs in the far North
  • Seize control of the high seas as one of the Four Merchant-Fleets of Ghanipur
  • Cover the world in eternal darkness as the descendants of a two-province count who began worshiping the Elders of the Abyss, went mad, and declared himself Emperor of Sonendar
  • Plunder the world as the Corsair Republics of Jezrah

DrSunshine fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 6, 2013

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

SurgicalOntologist posted:

What good the Dr. said is good advice - only keep one top-level holding. I was lucky enough to be able to form the Empire of Britannia and switch to Elective all within Ivar's lifetime. Otherwise I would have had more issues. Also I was able to chain-reaction vassalize pretty much the entirety of Norse Scandinavia, IIRC I was able to get it started because one of the petty kings in Denmark had a few counties in England... or maybe the Norse duke/p. king of Jorvik had a few counties in Denmark. By the time I started conquering Catholic land, I had enough vassals that the low vassal levies didn't hold me back. (oh, also Brittany was independently conquered by a Norse invasion so I conquered an adjacent county then vassalized)

Maybe try picking off OPMs on the mainland when they're vulnerable to build up your levies and retinue allowance?

E: It's also a good investment to build baronies in your capital and keep them, so when you use the martial's "Raise Troops" ability you have multiple holdings getting the bonus.

Also check your crown laws.

Are there any suggestions for good general crown lows? When I get a kingdom I try and raise my authority up, but other than that, it's not a screen I've messed with much. Like what is the best thing to tax for money? Or in general what's everyone's favorite setup?

Also thank you both for the help!

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Eimi posted:

Are there any suggestions for good general crown lows? When I get a kingdom I try and raise my authority up, but other than that, it's not a screen I've messed with much. Like what is the best thing to tax for money? Or in general what's everyone's favorite setup?

Also thank you both for the help!

My preferred setup is City Levies Low, City Taxes either High or Harsh if I can get away with it, Church Levies Low, and Church Taxes either at the beginning value (if I'm Catholic) or High (if I'm not).

Both Church and City Levies suck. You'll get swarms of Light Infantry, which are useless and serve only to die in large numbers, thus sapping the morale of your real troops. So lower those for the opinion bonuses. If you're Catholic you can't get away with taxing the Church too heavily; they'll just send their money to the Pope instead of you. Otherwise go ahead and tax 'em. Cities, though, especially coastal ones, are your real moneymakers and should be taxed as heavily as you can get away with.

EDIT: As for your Castle holders... don't bother taxing them. You want troops, not money, from these guys. I tend not to raise my vassal levies much because vassals with a low opinion of you send fewer levies to begin with, so why not just leave them at the standard levy and keep them happy enough that they send all of them?

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Both Church and City Levies suck. You'll get swarms of Light Infantry, which are useless and serve only to die in large numbers, thus sapping the morale of your real troops. So lower those for the opinion bonuses. If you're Catholic you can't get away with taxing the Church too heavily; they'll just send their money to the Pope instead of you. Otherwise go ahead and tax 'em. Cities, though, especially coastal ones, are your real moneymakers and should be taxed as heavily as you can get away with.

You never said how much you can get away with.

City taxes should be as high as possible without pushing any mayors (or lord mayors or whatever) into negative opinion of you. Church taxes should ideally be as high as you can without pushing any extra bishops into lower opinion of you than the Pope. If you're not Catholic, then churches work like cities. Muslims start with low feudal taxes, and should go ahead and leave that there unless you're facing a rebellion Right Now, since the opinion bonus for lowering the taxes to nothing is small and it's a lot of money to leave on the table.

quote:

I tend not to raise my vassal levies much because vassals with a low opinion of you send fewer levies to begin with, so why not just leave them at the standard levy and keep them happy enough that they send all of them?

Raising vassal levies raises the cap. With SOA, it's only worth raising vassal levies if everyone really, really likes you, or if you spend a lot of time in defensive wars with religious enemies (which gives you a huge temporary opinion boost).

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

EDIT: As for your Castle holders... don't bother taxing them. You want troops, not money, from these guys. I tend not to raise my vassal levies much because vassals with a low opinion of you send fewer levies to begin with, so why not just leave them at the standard levy and keep them happy enough that they send all of them?

As of SoA, I kinda disagree. Once you are a megaking or emperor, you're better off with min levies plus low/moderate feudal taxes, since you can usethat money to support retinues and mercenaries, which are the real war winners now.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

fool_of_sound posted:

As of SoA, I kinda disagree. Once you are a megaking or emperor, you're better off with min levies plus low/moderate feudal taxes, since you can usethat money to support retinues and mercenaries, which are the real war winners now.

Yeah, but if you're neither of those things, won't taxing feudal vassals just flat-out hurt you? Since any opinion malus with them means a significant reduction in levies, and a huge risk that factions will snowball out of control, it seems like you'd lose more than you could possibly gain in gold.

Of course, I'm just conjecturing. I'll have to actually test this out.

Happy Fun Bollocks
Aug 4, 2007

by Ion Helmet
According to this thread, the size of any event troops that spawn against you is based on calculations that assume the pre-2.0 levy system. A consequence of this for large realms is that if you have low crown authority and all of your vassals hate you, the event troops can probably be beaten with your demense troops alone, but if you have high crown authority and your vassals love you, you will likely get hit with more troops than the entire combined mercenary forces of the known world can combat.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

According to this thread, the size of any event troops that spawn against you is based on calculations that assume the pre-2.0 levy system. A consequence of this for large realms is that if you have low crown authority and all of your vassals hate you, the event troops can probably be beaten with your demense troops alone, but if you have high crown authority and your vassals love you, you will likely get hit with more troops than the entire combined mercenary forces of the known world can combat.

Wait, that's actually known for certain? Holy poo poo, why hasn't there been a hotfix?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Mister Adequate posted:

I had this occur when my first son died when he had a son. My grandson was supposed to get my capital even though he wasn't getting my highest title.

Fixed by :ese: of course, no idea if it's intentional or a bug.

Hambilderberglar
Dec 2, 2004

Is there a paradox thread where I can read up on these changes to vassal opinions and levy performance/economics? I had noticed that the battlefield stacks seem to be a lot smaller now. Where previously even a megaduke with a lot of castles or godlike opinion modifiers could pull out an absolutely unheard-of amount of troops it definitely seems like that's been lowered. The 3000 men of the Varangian Guard now feel like a properly useful band instead of a cheap fire extinguisher that I'll have to supplement with levies or another mercenary band as soon as I attack the armies of Doux Upstart of Attitudia. Changelogs would be amazing.

James The 1st
Feb 23, 2013

DStecks posted:

Wait, that's actually known for certain? Holy poo poo, why hasn't there been a hotfix?
There's a patch coming next week

alcaras
Oct 3, 2013

noli timere
What about Crown Laws for Republics, where most of my vassals are Mayors?

aeglus
Jul 13, 2003

WEEK 1 - RETIRED
I always love how no matter how low you start in this game, within 2-3 generations tops you can end up owning a large amount of something through some marriage and maybe an accident or two. Started as Neapolis in CK2++ previous version and patch (Free Italian and I get the best retinue in the game? Sure why not...) and had a really slow start. Consolidated enough for the Kingdom of Naples, but after that a massive Lombardy north of me and the rest being Byzantine. I could just join the Byzantine Empire and scheme my way to the top by my goal this game is to remain independent no matter what. A 10 kids and a few marriages later, one of my kids has a husband that launches a pitiful invasion of Lotharingia... and somehow it succeeds in getting Burgundy. Then I ended up having to do my best to support it with some mercs and my own troops in about 4-5 wars, but end result is that he reforms Lotharingia and it's in my line of succession under his kid. Sweet! Except he dies and it's in gavelkind so it splits up again with the Burgundian coast being the wrong side... so I forsee a reunification war once my monarch dies which seems like it could be soon.

Long story short, keep an eye on who can inherit and marry everything while plopping kids out as fast as possible. Looking forward to reforming the Western Roman Empire instead of the standard kill everything as the Byzantines.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
I got SoA when it came out and it's kinda cool, but the Jew character loving sucks in the beginning. Tried like four different games all ended horribly within 50 years.

So I went the easy Ireland route, built the kingdom then I converted my heir to Judaism, now holy wars and Crusades abound :v:

Also SALE TODAY :siren: just picked up Old Gods cause I didn't have it before, only 4 bucks, loving owns man.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
All the DLC is on sale except for SoA and the cosmetic packs that go with it. If you picked up EUIV during the recent sales, now's a good time to grab the EU converter.

hellsjudge
May 13, 2010
So i've started waging holy wars for Jerusalem and I have to fight the Ilkhanate... fun times!

Blackray Jack
Apr 7, 2007
Murderology AND Murderonomy!

Main Paineframe posted:

All the DLC is on sale except for SoA and the cosmetic packs that go with it. If you picked up EUIV during the recent sales, now's a good time to grab the EU converter.

Jesus Christ this just happened twice to me in a row now. I buy Sons of Abraham and another expansion and they go on sale the very day after. Last time it was me buying Don't Starve. There is no justice :argh:

Looking forward to seeing how I do in this game now. First time I played I managed to unite ireland, all except one county controlled by Scotland, and that was with the very first guy too.

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Aww. Gosh, you know I am feeling really silly.

You know what I'd been doing? I'd naively thought that I'd had a clean copy of the zip file, when I was actually overwriting/adding to an older zip file that still had some broken stuff in it and events and things from the vanilla game. That's why a lot of folks have been noticing broken decisions, "blank events spam" and other wackiness. Stupid me!

Clean Version, Sonendar 1.05.5

I also fixed (hopefully) a buggy Rozhan event.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Happy Fun Bollocks posted:

Oh THAT'S why I haven't had any of the problems people keep talking about. I keep my crown authority low.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

No matter who I become

DrSunshine posted:

Aww. Gosh, you know I am feeling really silly.

You know what I'd been doing? I'd naively thought that I'd had a clean copy of the zip file, when I was actually overwriting/adding to an older zip file that still had some broken stuff in it and events and things from the vanilla game. That's why a lot of folks have been noticing broken decisions, "blank events spam" and other wackiness. Stupid me!

Clean Version, Sonendar 1.05.5

I also fixed (hopefully) a buggy Rozhan event.

Looks like the broken decisions I had are gone :)

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!
One of the nice, easy-to-miss changes from the SoA patch: being able to find capitals of duchies/kingdoms/empires without loading up the landed titles text file :swoon: (use the de jure map modes and mouse over counties, in case you don't know)

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

hellsjudge posted:

Also SALE TODAY :siren: just picked up Old Gods cause I didn't have it before, only 4 bucks, loving owns man.

Welp, that's one friend covered for xmas. Is the "Collection" pack and Old Gods all the non-SoA/EU4 dlc?

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Mailer posted:

Welp, that's one friend covered for xmas. Is the "Collection" pack and Old Gods all the non-SoA/EU4 dlc?

You'd miss out on all the Old Gods-associated cosmetic stuff (Celtic portraits, Celtic Units, Dynasty Shields 3), plus the Customization Pack. But those are all 75% off too at the moment so

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

hellsjudge posted:

I got SoA when it came out and it's kinda cool, but the Jew character loving sucks in the beginning. Tried like four different games all ended horribly within 50 years.

So I went the easy Ireland route, built the kingdom then I converted my heir to Judaism, now holy wars and Crusades abound :v:

I tried a ruler designer start and got hit with a 6K revolt when I can field at most about 4K of levies and mercs. :suicide:

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Is there any reason to get Sunset Invasion? It sounds a bit silly, but I wasn't sure if some of the popular mods required it.

I've heard Customization Pack is unnecessary if I want to name my country The People's Republic of Goonlandia or something?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Any one know if Paradox is going to put steam workshop into CK2 at some point?

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

StashAugustine posted:

I tried a ruler designer start and got hit with a 6K revolt when I can field at most about 4K of levies and mercs. :suicide:

That probably was not affected by you being ruler designed and had more to do with SoA affecting levies (reducing them) and size of rebellions (did not change). There is supposedly a patch coming in a week or something that will fix this.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Allyn posted:

You'd miss out on all the Old Gods-associated cosmetic stuff (Celtic portraits, Celtic Units, Dynasty Shields 3), plus the Customization Pack. But those are all 75% off too at the moment so

Thanks for that. Oddly enough I owned Dynasty Shields 3, but I didn't have the Norse and Celtic stuff. So it's the DLC pack plus Norse/Celtic Units/Portraits, Hymns to the Old Gods and the customization pack for everything pre-2.0. Wish there was a "just buy everything" option, but whatever.

Time to go get mongolstomped so I can start my first non-catholic game.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Is there any way to speed up province cultural conversions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

Anticheese posted:

Is there any way to speed up province cultural conversions?

Hand the provinces off to people with high stewardship. There are two events, each with a MTTH of 100 years, and each multiplied by 0.75 for stewardship of 10, and again for each of 11, 12 and 13. So 100*0.75^4 = 31.6 years at stewardship 13 (I think that's how it works, anyway). If they have stewardship of less than 5, 4, 3 or 2 it's multiplied by 1.5, taking it up to 100*1.5^4 = 506.25 years at stewardship 1.

Allyn fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Dec 7, 2013

• Locked thread