Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Whizbang posted:

GMusicFS mounts Google Play Music as a file system so Poweramp, etc. can play it, but requires root.

:c00l:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rolleyes
Nov 16, 2006

Sometimes you have to roll the hard... two?

LastInLine posted:

I just don't like the over the top skeuomorphism with dials of all things and weird glowy effects. It's a music player that should be designed for touch and to me it looks like what someone who has no idea what UX should be would do when tasked with designing a user interface. It's the kind of thing I'd point to if I wanted to describe xda to someone.

It's janky in that way Adobe builds UIs out of Flash instead of standard Windows chrome just because they're a special snowflake.

I get that it works and has all these options but I'll gladly sacrifice features for a coherent design language.

I guess that's where we differ, so long as the overall design is coherent within itself (which it is - it's not like some of the terrible Winamp themes where nothing is consistent and the 'designer' just spewed neon all over the place) then I'd rather have that + features than an app which strictly adheres to what Google says an app should look like. Especially as Google seem to change their mind every 12 months, whilst Poweramp has remained consistent for a long time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

rolleyes posted:

I guess that's where we differ, so long as the overall design is coherent within itself (which it is - it's not like some of the terrible Winamp themes where nothing is consistent and the 'designer' just spewed neon all over the place) then I'd rather have that + features than an app which strictly adheres to what Google says an app should look like. Especially as Google seem to change their mind every 12 months, whilst Poweramp has remained consistent for a long time.

I believe he's less saying "I don't like it because it doesn't follow Google's UI design" (in fact he didn't mention that at all) and more saying "I don't like it because of its skeuomorphic design...internally coherent or not".

(I agree with that viewpoint)

poemdexter
Feb 18, 2005

Hooray Indie Games!

College Slice

LastInLine posted:

How many apps are you installing? I found that once I had a core group that installing new apps is an exceedingly rare occurrence for me.

Well, both me and my wife had to download all our previous iphone apps again for our new phones. I figure it'll be a month before I get to the point where I'm comfortable with the apps I have as well as the phone. It helps that most apps exist on both platforms. I'm totally with you about the rarity of installing since that was me on my iphone. However everything is new and there's way more options for tweaking things than I had before so now I'm just on a downloading spree trying new things for a few minutes then uninstalling if I don't like it.

tokki g
Aug 18, 2004
Has anyone used mightytext to send/receive text messages from your windows PC? I'm jealous of the imessage program that apple computers have.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

tokki g posted:

Has anyone used mightytext to send/receive text messages from your windows PC? I'm jealous of the imessage program that apple computers have.
You can do it with AirDroid. Or if you use Google Voice you have even more options.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Play music is being updated with SD Card cache support (of course this comes after I move away from a phone with an SD card.)

http://www.androidcentral.com/google-play-music-updated-sd-card-support

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

tokki g posted:

Yeah, I use it all the time on my PC and my Nexus 7. Works well, especially if you use Chrome thanks to Chrome's new notification center thing.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Require More Fire posted:

Yeah, I use it all the time on my PC and my Nexus 7. Works well, especially if you use Chrome thanks to Chrome's new notification center thing.

Do you need to have a SMS program installed on your tablet to make it work? Because I get an error (it just shows a red !) when I try to send a message from AirDroid to my tablet.

Geektox
Aug 1, 2012

Good people don't rip other people's arms off.

Kheldarn posted:

Do you need to have a SMS program installed on your tablet to make it work? Because I get an error (it just shows a red !) when I try to send a message from AirDroid to my tablet.

I think he's talking about using the Mightytext app for tablets to send a SMS via his phone, not sending a SMS using his tablet.

Is your N7 3G/LTE enabled? Otherwise it wouldn't be able to send SMS, and even then some carriers explicitly disable SMS function on tablet-plan SIMs.

Luchadork
Feb 18, 2010

Take a look at the masked man
Beating up the wrong guy
Oh man! Wonder if he'll ever know
Chris Benoit killed his family

Kheldarn posted:

Well, the way MightyText works is you install their phone app on your phone, and the tablet app on your tablet, and the -whatever- extension on your PC depending on what browser you use. The browser and tablet apps then just talk to the app on your phone to send/receive SMS.

MT on your tablet/PC acts as a SMS app, essentially, but you must have the companion app on your phone for it to work at all.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ah. Thanks for the info. I only have a semi-smart phone, so no apps on it for me.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

Ashex posted:

Another audio player is Shuttle, I upgraded to Shuttle+ because it's so cheap and have been very happy with it.
After trying the default app, PowerAmp (ugly as hell interface), Winamp (ditto) I tried Shuttle a few weeks ago and was pleasantly surprised. I'm sticking with it.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

You can do it with AirDroid. Or if you use Google Voice you have even more options.

The Motorola implementation works really well for this too, I would love to see Android rip it off wholesale.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

If I may again pimp PlayerPro with the Holo-era skin; it's not as perfectly holo, but it's tolerable and like I said before, the player is pretty close to PowerAmp in a lot of ways:

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 09:19 on Dec 6, 2013

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006
Edit: All gone.

I've got four Aviate invites left, anyone want em?

Play store link.

I just started trying it out again a couple days ago, and it seems just brilliant. It's kind of helping me get over my compulsion to constantly tweak my home screens.

AnimalChin fucked around with this message at 09:33 on Dec 6, 2013

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
I really really liked Aviate, but there were a few things you couldn't customize or change that I just couldn't get over. It has incredible potential and looks gorgeous though.

ilysespieces
Oct 5, 2009

When life becomes too painful, sometimes it's better to just become a drunk.

big mean giraffe posted:

I really really liked Aviate, but there were a few things you couldn't customize or change that I just couldn't get over. It has incredible potential and looks gorgeous though.

That's why I switched back to my Nova set up. I really want to love Aviate.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

AnimalChin posted:

Play store link.

I just started trying it out again a couple days ago, and it seems just brilliant. It's kind of helping me get over my compulsion to constantly tweak my home screens.

I'd like an invite please drvideogames0050 at gmail

Thanks dude

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

AnimalChin posted:

Play store link.

Would love to try it out, If you have any left.

SA Name @gmail

Thanks in advance :)

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I'd like an invite please drvideogames0050 at gmail

Thanks dude

EbolaIvory posted:

Would love to try it out, If you have any left.

SA Name @gmail

Thanks in advance :)

Sent.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Got it. Thanks

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

bull3964 posted:

Play music is being updated with SD Card cache support (of course this comes after I move away from a phone with an SD card.)

I've been waiting for this for so long. Reading the update notes for Play Music when I woke up this morning literally made my day.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I've been using Action Launcher as my home app for ages now. The 'cover' folders were the real deal for me for how I like to use my phone.

Now with the 1-swipe beta features I can remove Glovebox and all my navigation is done through Action Launcher. Its not just more of the same like a lot of the other popular home replacements. Highly recommended.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

I never got anything

E: nevermind it was in my spam folder.

Dr. Video Games 0050 fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Dec 6, 2013

bootleg robot
Dec 8, 2004

big mean giraffe posted:

ilysespieces posted:

That's why I switched back to my Nova set up. I really want to love Aviate.

Same here. All it needs is widget customization and the ability to create custom contexts. I'll definitely revisit it down the road.

EDIT: Also keeping an eye on this guy: Cover For Android - context sensitive lockscreen.

bootleg robot fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 6, 2013

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
Heads up for anyone who ever downloaded/used the Brightest Flashlight Free app:

quote:

Were you one of the 100 million Android users that downloaded the Brightest Flashlight Free app? Did you conscientiously click "no" when asked if you'd like to allow the app to track your location data? Well, too bad, suckers. Because not only has the FTC revealed that the popular, light-giving app was secretly selling data to third parties, but its "option" to refuse the data collection in the first place was one big, fat lie.

wa27
Jan 15, 2007

It seems like an app with a button to turn on and off the camera flash on a phone would be like the Hello World program of Android Development, yet the most popular ones out there are filled with ads and pull poo poo like that. It's amazing.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
Why would anyone install a flashlight with location and internet permissions? Everybody and their brother made one and there are plenty that don't require extra permissions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.colinmcdonough.android.torchics
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.flashLight
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.flashlight

bronin
Oct 15, 2009

use it or throw it away

Why would anyone install a flashlight with location and internet permissions? Everybody and their brother made one and there are plenty that don't require extra permissions.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.colinmcdonough.android.torchics
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.android.flashLight
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.teslacoilsw.flashlight

I used the first one in your list. Worked great with the Nexus 4. Nowadays I just use the flashlight toggle in Powertoggles.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wow I really like the Shuttle music app. Really clean design and I like that it will also download album art for you. I don't know if they plan on charging for it when it's out of beta but I'll definitely pay for it.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Because most people who install apps pay no attention to the permissions screen. The just blindly hit "install" and don't think about it.

Eikre
May 2, 2009
I'm trying out Apex instead of Nova launcher for a while. I like it. Playing with the settings to get it initiated makes me realize something I want: for the landscape version of my home screen to actually be a totally different screen than my portrait, with its own shortcuts and widgets, instead of sharing a little cross-section of overlap. Any way to do that with Apex, or a launcher that does it?

Edit- it makes me think that the code is actually meant to support this by default and they kludged the overlap in, because you can turn the screen to the other orientation, go into the "manage screens" interface, move stuff around, and then go back to your initial orientation to find your screens have been weirdly bisected and rearranged piecemeal.

Eikre fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Dec 6, 2013

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

bull3964 posted:

What's really stupid is that it had this option awhile back, completely hidden, then was stripped out, and now they're putting it back? Still, finally can use my 16GB SD card for more than photos of my cats, I guess.

I'm sure glad I've been using Samsung's "Assistive light" widget instead of a full-blown app.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

MeKeV posted:

I've been using Action Launcher as my home app for ages now. The 'cover' folders were the real deal for me for how I like to use my phone.

Now with the 1-swipe beta features I can remove Glovebox and all my navigation is done through Action Launcher. Its not just more of the same like a lot of the other popular home replacements. Highly recommended.

Wow, this is a really nice launcher. Like Aviate, I like that it's a different take on the launcher concept that is done well.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I've been playing with the whole "OK Google" crap lately, and realized it'd be really cool if I could control my music player via voice (at the very least, "next track" and "previous track" would suffice for me.) Are there any players out that do this? Of course, it'd have to acknowledge these commands while the screen is off for maximum effect, and I can already tell I'm probably asking for way too much (I don't have a Moto X, so I doubt my phone [HTC One] is even capable of this.)

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

enojy posted:

Of course, it'd have to acknowledge these commands while the screen is off for maximum effect, and I can already tell I'm probably asking for way too much (I don't have a Moto X, so I doubt my phone [HTC One] is even capable of this.)
The One isn't and the X even isn't capable of this. Maybe one day.

Dice Dice Baby
Aug 30, 2004
I like "faggots"

enojy posted:

I've been playing with the whole "OK Google" crap lately, and realized it'd be really cool if I could control my music player via voice (at the very least, "next track" and "previous track" would suffice for me.) Are there any players out that do this? Of course, it'd have to acknowledge these commands while the screen is off for maximum effect, and I can already tell I'm probably asking for way too much (I don't have a Moto X, so I doubt my phone [HTC One] is even capable of this.)

I know it's become cliche but you can do this with Tasker

Caerulius
Jun 23, 2007

This was a waste of $5.
Does anyone know of a way to make a shortcut or something to a Nova launcher app drawer folder? I made one for games and I'd like to just link to that instead of making a home screen folder, if possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Caerulius posted:

Does anyone know of a way to make a shortcut or something to a Nova launcher app drawer folder? I made one for games and I'd like to just link to that instead of making a home screen folder, if possible.

Where are you thinking of putting the shortcut?

• Locked thread