Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

lorabel posted:

Why does my kitten paw at the walls on the inside of the litter box after he's done covering his pee/crap? He does this often and it drives me crazy. Weirdo.

I'm pretty sure his sister does it too, but I've only seen him do it consistently.

Mine does this too. A lot! They're just being clean. They're trying to clean off their paws and probably their litter box as well. Mine will also do it near her food bowl to clean up any dust or dirt around her bowl. I wouldn't do anything about it. It's really the least of any problems a cat could possibly give you.

Rah posted:

Just a quick update.. I can't believe how quickly Sophie and Chloe are getting used to each other. Right now I have them both cuddled up to me, and they're actually right next to each other and touching.. The fighting also hasn't been as bad today.. It's mainly seemed like play fighting, since I've not really heard any hissing.. Just a little bit of squealing every now and then. I'm really pleased they seem to be getting along now.. Hopefully it wont revert back to all the hissing at each other :')

I wish I could get a pic of this right now.. But they're both on my lap and I can't reach my phone and don't want to disturb them.. Right now Sophie is resting her head on Chloe's back while they both sleep. It's really so adorable and makes me really happy that they're getting along :)

I am so :3: right now. It's like the end of an episode of my cat from hell. :3: :3: :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

muike posted:

Why the hell does my 18 year old cat crave fruit and go insane with desire if it's within visual range
Our cats show a lot of interest in bread. Once we let them sniff it they're still interested, just don't want to eat it. They'll steal crusts or other small bits just to carry it around.

lorabel posted:

Why does my kitten paw at the walls on the inside of the litter box after he's done covering his pee/crap? He does this often and it drives me crazy. Weirdo.
It's an instinct, not some activity they're reasoned themselves into. Our kitten who's never had to live outside paws the side of the box. Our older cat gets out of the box and tries to 'bury' with the carpet.

Just be glad he's 'covering' before the box scraping.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.
We just taunt our cats when they do that. Yes kitty, that's the box, no that's the wall... No, that's the wall again.

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...
The kitten also tries to 'bury' his food when he's done with it. The worst bit is that since we have to pick his food up to keep the fat one out of it we're positively reinforcing the behavior. As far as he knows 'burying' food is a magic command that summons the humans to tend to his dish.

Stroop There It Is
Mar 11, 2012

:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:
:stroop: :gaysper: :stroop:
:gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar::gengar:

My idiot (pictured below on our ugly-rear end couch) actually managed to catch his first real live mouse yesterday! All that Da Birding has paid off. He was thankfully just toying with it and didn't actually hurt it... I wouldn't have wanted to clean mouse guts out of the carpet.

Weird food chat: He also loves capers, peas, and arugula. No, I don't know. He doesn't really beg for them like he does tuna, but he'll absolutely go for them.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

oh... so you ARE sick....
Two questions:

1) Are kitty claw caps cruel? I want to get some kitty caps for my cat because she's a turd and has been scratching up the furniture/expensive rugs. But I'm having second thoughts because my boyfriend thinks that it's as mean as declawing since she won't have full faculty of her claws. I see her use her scratching post on a daily basis, but her nails are still really sharp.

2) Has anyone's cat ever had a major behavioral change after a visit to the vet? This cat used to have the most passive cat in the world. But after I took her to the vet for a teeth cleaning, she became super aggressive, and she lashes out at me whenever I try to cut her nails now.

Please give me ideas on how to dull this beast's claws:

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

4R7 THi3F posted:

Two questions:

1) Are kitty claw caps cruel? I want to get some kitty caps for my cat because she's a turd and has been scratching up the furniture/expensive rugs. But I'm having second thoughts because my boyfriend thinks that it's as mean as declawing since she won't have full faculty of her claws. I see her use her scratching post on a daily basis, but her nails are still really sharp.

2) Has anyone's cat ever had a major behavioral change after a visit to the vet? This cat used to have the most passive cat in the world. But after I took her to the vet for a teeth cleaning, she became super aggressive, and she lashes out at me whenever I try to cut her nails now.

1. No. Declawing is cruel because it's amputation of the digit - roughly equivalent to chopping your fingertips off. Claw caps are a workable situation where they still have dexterity of the claw, they just can't destroy everything.

2. Most likely coincidence. Wrap her up in a towel and cut her nails - she will likely chill out again after a few repetitions.

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

4R7 THi3F posted:

Two questions:

1. Its no more cruel than when he puts on gloves.

2. It can take a long time (up to 2 weeks, according to the physicians and surgeons I work with) for general anesthesia to leave the body entirely, and until then you can be 'off' and moody/irritable. Depending on how the teeth cleaning went, she may also be in a little discomfort. Both of those can definitely make her more prone to aggression for a while.

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn
Alright can someone please explain to me why Smudge suddenly feels that the litter in just one of the boxes belongs on the floor and not in the box? The past few days I've come home from work to find it scattered across the carpet, which Professor sees as a sign that this is where he's supposed to go to the bathroom now seeing as there's litter piled 2 inches deep all around the box.

I'm 90% certain it's Smudge because I've caught him doing some very vigorous digging that I've managed to interrupt, but when I'm not home it looks like he's decided to go hog wild with it. I haven't changed litter lately, same stuff we always use. The boxes are kept pretty clean, I scoop daily and change out the litter every two weeks. And he only does it on the one box, the other two litter boxes are left intact.

The box is at the top of the stairs, but it's not a super high traffic area, I really only walk past it when I'm going up or downstairs. I'm hesitant to buy a cover for the box, because Mr. Carson is a fat piece of poo poo and I don't want to cause him grief getting in and out while I work on making him not fat.

Litter goes in the box, not the floor you stupid cat!

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there any reasonable way to keep one of my cats from stepping on his used litter? He's never been much for burying it, and so he sometimes gets rather wet litter all over his backside (since he apparently squats very low).

four lean hounds
Feb 16, 2012

4R7 THi3F posted:

Two questions:

Please give me ideas on how to dull this beast's claws:

1) As already said, claw caps are not cruel. If you need to have something to back them up for your bf, explain that they fall off just as claw sheaths do, except claw caps are rubberized to protect your house and come in fabulous colors. :j:

2)Was the cleaning recent? Her teeth/mouth might just be sore from getting cleaned (lots of poking/prodding) and I'm sure she did not enjoy the vet touching/adjusting her as they needed.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Women's Rights? posted:

Alright can someone please explain to me why Smudge suddenly feels that the litter in just one of the boxes belongs on the floor and not in the box? The past few days I've come home from work to find it scattered across the carpet, which Professor sees as a sign that this is where he's supposed to go to the bathroom now seeing as there's litter piled 2 inches deep all around the box.

I'm 90% certain it's Smudge because I've caught him doing some very vigorous digging that I've managed to interrupt, but when I'm not home it looks like he's decided to go hog wild with it. I haven't changed litter lately, same stuff we always use. The boxes are kept pretty clean, I scoop daily and change out the litter every two weeks. And he only does it on the one box, the other two litter boxes are left intact.

The box is at the top of the stairs, but it's not a super high traffic area, I really only walk past it when I'm going up or downstairs. I'm hesitant to buy a cover for the box, because Mr. Carson is a fat piece of poo poo and I don't want to cause him grief getting in and out while I work on making him not fat.

Litter goes in the box, not the floor you stupid cat!

They make high edge boxes that aren't covered boxes.

http://www.amazon.com/Natures-Miracle-High-Sided-Litter/dp/B0087Y5NKS/ref=cm_cr_pr_pb_t
http://www.walmart.com/ip/SmartyKat-LitterLoo-Litter-Box-Cats/14284799

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

My boyfriend is against it because "no one can confirm with certainty that it doesn't bother the cat." But we just made an agreement--he's going to buy a $200 scratching post for her to see if that will help with her nail situation. He's convinced that it will, but I'm extremely skeptical. If the ridiculously expensive scratching post doesn't work, I get to test the kitty caps on her and see how she copes with them. I'm being gung-ho about it because her visit to the vet happened 3 months ago, and her behavior hasn't improved. I used to be able to clip her nails without any kind of incident, but these days I can only manage to cut 2-3 nails before she hisses at me and runs away. It's like I've had a different cat since bringing her back from the vet. And then the nails that I do manage to cut grow back like a day later!

Also: I think that the $200 scratching post is completely absurd. There's a child dying of starvation somewhere! Priorities!

This is the type of stuff she likes to do now that she has razor sharp claws:

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

4R7 THi3F posted:

My boyfriend is against it because "no one can confirm with certainty that it doesn't bother the cat." But we just made an agreement--he's going to buy a $200 scratching post for her to see if that will help with her nail situation. He's convinced that it will, but I'm extremely skeptical. If the ridiculously expensive scratching post doesn't work, I get to test the kitty caps on her and see how she copes with them. I'm being gung-ho about it because her visit to the vet happened 3 months ago, and her behavior hasn't improved. I used to be able to clip her nails without any kind of incident, but these days I can only manage to cut 2-3 nails before she hisses at me and runs away. It's like I've had a different cat since bringing her back from the vet. And then the nails that I do manage to cut grow back like a day later!

Also: I think that the $200 scratching post is completely absurd. There's a child dying of starvation somewhere! Priorities!

She needs a big cat tree, not just a post.

4R7 THi3F
Aug 8, 2005

http://www.purrfectpost.com/Mondo_Scratching_Video.html

Apparently this is what she's getting. A big ol' cat column. I'm afraid a more elaborate cat tree isn't really an option for our small NYC apartment at the moment. I don't want to get into it too much, but I have a roommate who isn't very fond of cats in general, and she probably wouldn't like the idea of a cat jungle gym in the middle of our living room very much. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future, though.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Your boyfriend sounds like an opinionated blowhard, but at least he is willing to drop $200 on your cat I guess.

Softpaws are totally fine. Declawing is bad because it's like cutting off a knuckle, nothing like claw caps. The behavior change is worrisome though. 3 months is a pretty long time to get over a teeth cleaning. Might want to get kitty checked again to see if something might be bothering her.

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

4R7 THi3F posted:

http://www.purrfectpost.com/Mondo_Scratching_Video.html

Apparently this is what she's getting. A big ol' cat column. I'm afraid a more elaborate cat tree isn't really an option for our small NYC apartment at the moment. I don't want to get into it too much, but I have a roommate who isn't very fond of cats in general, and she probably wouldn't like the idea of a cat jungle gym in the middle of our living room very much. I'll definitely keep it in mind for the future, though.

Fair enough, my cat tree doesn't have a much bigger foot print than that scratching thing, but that thing looks like your cat can get on top of it and perch so that's good.

Also just in case you want to get something discreet
http://www.amazon.com/SmartCat-3826-Multi-Level-Cat-Climber/dp/B001362AFS/ref=pd_sim_petsupplies_2

It goes over the door!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I would never debate the inhumanity of declawing and if my mother who has never owned a cat argues with me about it again I am going to spend all of my inheritance on whores and drugs just to spite her. However, years ago I had a really serious ingrown toenail and I had to have it cut out under anesthesia. Then, the podiatrist (who coincidentally was bloody adorable) put some chemical on part of the nail that kept it from regrowing. I wish that they had something like that for cats and I would pay handsomely for it. I've tried 3 different types of scratching posts for my kittens and they still tear up my comfortable old recliner. It's driving me bananas.

Stroop There It Is posted:

My idiot (pictured below on our ugly-rear end couch) actually managed to catch his first real live mouse yesterday! All that Da Birding has paid off. He was thankfully just toying with it and didn't actually hurt it... I wouldn't have wanted to clean mouse guts out of the carpet.

Weird food chat: He also loves capers, peas, and arugula. No, I don't know. He doesn't really beg for them like he does tuna, but he'll absolutely go for them.

Two things: Firstly, Russian Blues are adorable and you are a lucky man/woman/penguin/none of the above. Secondly, while reading your post I was absolutely thinking "Well, of course a cat would love capers." Shortly thereafter, I realised that I was reading it as "kippers"

lorabel
Apr 4, 2013

JayJay posted:

Mine does this too. A lot! They're just being clean. They're trying to clean off their paws and probably their litter box as well. Mine will also do it near her food bowl to clean up any dust or dirt around her bowl. I wouldn't do anything about it. It's really the least of any problems a cat could possibly give you.

I didn't really think I could do anything about it, it just seemed weird and neurotic. I guess I will just have to taunt the creature like everyone else and be happy. It does help to think that they're trying to be clean. I like clean.

I am happy they seem to otherwise be really great kittens. No problems clipping their claws, they use the cat tree to climb and claw, they love their food, they drink water, they are good with the dog, and they are cuddle monsters. I brought them home when they were 16 weeks, they got to stay with their mom till then. The guy didn't mean for his cat to get pregnant and is getting her castrated asap. His other cats are neutered so I believe him.

I tried to adopt from different shelters over here but many were just too scared and obviously feral (that wouldn't be a problem but I have an old dog that I don't want hurt) but we found two that were really sociable but a little sick, I think I mentioned it earlier. They sounded pretty bad so I called the vet and they said it sounded worse than a normal cat cold and that they should probably come in. So I mentioned it to the shelter people and they said that it's just a normal cold and will disappear. I had a cat before with similar problems from a shelter and he was sick for years. I don't want to adopt animals that are sick and not getting treated, and I told them so. They said afterwards that they had decided I wasn't allowed to adopt from them, because I was too concerned about their health and that if I was going to be so worried then I shouldn't adopt animals at all. It was... weird. I really liked those kittens too but I am glad I got the ones I have now, they're awesome.

I've started training them to let me brush their teeth. They get very suspicious of the toothbrush. I'm deworming both this week, Bradbury is getting castrated/vaccinated/microchipped next week (5 months old), and Cricket is getting all that in January (6 months old). A lot of vets here don't castrate before they're 6 months but I convinced them to do Bradbury one month early.

The kittens are never far from each other. Bradbury, boy, sand-colored tabby and Cricket, girl, tabby.

The dog likes the cat tree too.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

4R7 THi3F posted:

We got our cat a pretty serious cat tree for 69 bucks, we also have one made from a felled tree that's 7ft tall. Still if you're not gonna send those $200 to charity, what's the difference for the starving child, in the end?

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I have two cats and my roommate has one. They have lived together for about six months now, and they don't really fight badly, but my cats chase her cats all around the house. They do it a lot at night, which is covered in the faq, but also most of the day. He is bigger than them but is generally the first to back off.

It isn't constant, and they are ok about sharing food, but I think because he goes outside they have decided the house is their turf and he's a visitor they will put up with but not for very long.

What can we do to either get them along better or help him establish some part of the house that can be his?

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde
I got a cat from a shelter about two weeks ago, she's called Thursday and she's lovely. She was pretty scared at first and just stayed under my bed for the first few days. Since then she's made it out from under the bed and now sneaks around the apartment.

I live in an open one bedroom apartment so from my computer I can pretty much see every bit of it, and Thursday is fine playing, attacking her food and grooming herself if I am on the computer. However as soon as I get up she usually runs and hides under my sofa or bed. This wasn't really unexpected as she's from a home that had too many cats, so I doubt she's had too much human interaction. What puzzles me a bit though is that during the evenings I can usually get close to her if she's on the sofa and pet her. Which she like, she's a pretty aggressive petter, she likes to attack my palm with a headbutt so that I'll pet her over the head.

This morning she woke me up at 6 am by meowing at me, she hasn't really talked at all before so it freaked me out a bit. I got up to see if anything was wrong, but she was hiding under the sofa and I didn't really have many options other than try and chase her out which I didn't want to do. Instead I just changed her water and her litterbox and went back to bed. Pretty soon as I had gone back to bed she meowed some more, I got up to look around and then we repeated the process a few more time. In the end I just went back to bed and just lay there looking out into the blackness that was my apartment waiting for Thursday to show up. Which she did, she seemed just fine. So I tried to go back to sleep, she talked to me some more.
Long story short, I am now up and awake 2 hours ahead of when I usually get up, my cat is no longer meowing at me and seems just fine.

All of this is pretty normal stuff, right? I've grown up with cats, but never had an indoor cat before, nor a cat that didn't come into our home as a kitten. Thursday is two years old. Sorry for the rambling, I'm a bit tired at the moment.

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Anyone got any secrets for getting a nauseous feeling cat to eat?

Asha, who's been my friend and companion for around 15 years is starting to feel her age. The vet thinks she's got some kind of bowel bleeding, possibly bowel cancer. She stopped eating over 60 hours ago, but is still drinking water. Today she saw the vet, who is a pretty good guy and seems smart and offered a lot of options, he gave us some Ranitidine (peptobismol for cats I think) and an anti-nausea pill for dogs (they don't have any cat stuff here) to cut into quarters and crush up and mix with butter and smear on her face. He also gave her 4 shots, some Selenium ACE, Cortisone, an anti-nausea thing which apparently stings and I lost track of the fourth.

I've tried feeding her since the vet visit, all through the day, and it's still pretty close to a no-go. I boiled up a chicken for her and have tried giving her, at different times, the cooked chicken, the broth, cat biscuits, baby food and her old regular jellymeat. She had 3 small bites of the cooked chicken but seemed like she was having a kind of inner turmoil as she leaned forward to eat the chicken, she would lean down and prepare herself to take a bite and then flinch away (I presume as the nausea hit her) She also couldn't even fathom eating it from a pile of chicken, I had to give her the pieces individually so she could get her head around it.

Are there any other things I could try feeding her? prior to taking her to the vet I tried feeding her the raw meat for cats you can get in the supermarket, and she wasn't at all interested in that, despite it being her diet for the week leading up to her refusing to eat. I tried warming things up a bit and she seemed a little more interested but not enough to get past her inner turmoil.

The vet has told me that if things don't turn around over the weekend that it's pretty much curtains for her but I really really don't want to let her go. It's crazy because she still acts so happy and full of life but I know if she doesn't start eating soon that things will deteriorate fast, as she starts to consume her fat.

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

WetSpink posted:

Anyone got any secrets for getting a nauseous feeling cat to eat?

Asha, who's been my friend and companion for around 15 years is starting to feel her age. The vet thinks she's got some kind of bowel bleeding, possibly bowel cancer. She stopped eating over 60 hours ago, but is still drinking water. Today she saw the vet, who is a pretty good guy and seems smart and offered a lot of options, he gave us some Ranitidine (peptobismol for cats I think) and an anti-nausea pill for dogs (they don't have any cat stuff here) to cut into quarters and crush up and mix with butter and smear on her face. He also gave her 4 shots, some Selenium ACE, Cortisone, an anti-nausea thing which apparently stings and I lost track of the fourth.

I've tried feeding her since the vet visit, all through the day, and it's still pretty close to a no-go. I boiled up a chicken for her and have tried giving her, at different times, the cooked chicken, the broth, cat biscuits, baby food and her old regular jellymeat. She had 3 small bites of the cooked chicken but seemed like she was having a kind of inner turmoil as she leaned forward to eat the chicken, she would lean down and prepare herself to take a bite and then flinch away (I presume as the nausea hit her) She also couldn't even fathom eating it from a pile of chicken, I had to give her the pieces individually so she could get her head around it.

Are there any other things I could try feeding her? prior to taking her to the vet I tried feeding her the raw meat for cats you can get in the supermarket, and she wasn't at all interested in that, despite it being her diet for the week leading up to her refusing to eat. I tried warming things up a bit and she seemed a little more interested but not enough to get past her inner turmoil.

The vet has told me that if things don't turn around over the weekend that it's pretty much curtains for her but I really really don't want to let her go. It's crazy because she still acts so happy and full of life but I know if she doesn't start eating soon that things will deteriorate fast, as she starts to consume her fat.
The thing recommended in the past is some flavor of Fancy Feast canned food heated up slightly that is pretty much crack for catkind. I don't remember if there's a specific flavor, but it can't be that expensive to grab some cans. Ignore whatever nutritional sufficiency critiques you hear about Fancy Feast if you need your cat to simply eat.

Hope things get better for her. :smith:

Rah
Mar 9, 2006
So looks like Chloe got hurt somehow.. I'm not sure if it was caused by Sophie or if she was just scratching.. They seem to be getting along fine and even sleeping together now, so if it was caused by Sophie I'm sure it was an accident. Anyway, Chloe came to me for a cuddle and I noticed red on her neck so had a look. There's a small patch with no fur and very red, like a sore. I'm not 100% sure how it was caused.. Maybe she was scratching her neck or something, since I imagine a bite from Sophie would be smaller than that and there'd still be fur there..

Anyway, I phoned the vets and got an appointment to take her to be checked this afternoon... Hopefully it wont be too expensive!

Edit: I found a pic that looks a lot like the sore on her neck:

On the forum the pic was on, people were saying to just treat it with hydrocortisone cream. Do you think that would be ok to do? Or do you think the vet checkup would be the best option? I don't have a lot of money, but I don't mind taking her to the vets if you guys think so? Maybe I'm just worrying about something not very serious, but because I've not had cat's before, I worry a lot and want to make sure they're not hurt or in pain.. When I found it and cleaned it, it didn't seem to hurt at all (But I know cats are good at hiding pain/illness)

Rah fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Dec 6, 2013

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat
That's a fairly large amount of fur missing, if your other kitten had bitten it off her there should be obvious blobs of white fluff all round the place. Stressed cats can lick themselves bald in spots or tug the fur out, check her bed or where she likes to groom for pulled off fur?
Your best bet is vet anyway, forums are not the place for medical help. There's a reason it takes like 6 years to train as a vet ;)

Women's Rights?
Nov 16, 2005

Ain't give a damn

cKnoor posted:

Long story short, I am now up and awake 2 hours ahead of when I usually get up, my cat is no longer meowing at me and seems just fine.

All of this is pretty normal stuff, right? I've grown up with cats, but never had an indoor cat before, nor a cat that didn't come into our home as a kitten. Thursday is two years old. Sorry for the rambling, I'm a bit tired at the moment.

It sounds pretty normal to me, my cats will get chatty with me sometimes. Smudge especially, that little jerk likes to stand in a doorway and yowl at me, but when I go investigate he's all "pick me up woman <:mad:>" even though just minutes ago it sounded like his leg had fallen off or something.

She's new, she's shy, and she may realize that you're there for pets and food and warms but it's going to take some time for her to really settle down.

Alternately, your cat is a jerk, enjoy your next ten years of living with a jerk cat.

Rah
Mar 9, 2006

Ratzap posted:

That's a fairly large amount of fur missing, if your other kitten had bitten it off her there should be obvious blobs of white fluff all round the place. Stressed cats can lick themselves bald in spots or tug the fur out, check her bed or where she likes to groom for pulled off fur?
Your best bet is vet anyway, forums are not the place for medical help. There's a reason it takes like 6 years to train as a vet ;)

That's not a picture of her, but a picture I found on google that looks very similar. My phone is playing up at the moment so I can't get an actual picture of it. I decided not to take her to the vets today. She's already booked in for Wednesday next week, and doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort while I was cleaning the sore. I plan to just keep it clean, and put cream on it and hopefully it'll heal up on it's own.. And of course, I'll ask the vet to have a look when she goes in next Wednesday. If she seemed to be in any pain or discomfort I'd be taking her today, but it doesn't seem to be bothering her much at all, and she's still her normal playful self chasing around Sophie and being chased..

I also haven't seen any fur around.. Maybe it was a sore she had before she got here and the scab got scratched off or something..

Oh, I also had a funny moment with Sophie earlier. I'd just gone for a shower about 10 minutes before and so the bath tub was quite wet.. I started hearing loads of like running noises coming from the bathroom and Chloe was with me so I went to have a look and Sophie was like trying to run up the side of the bathtub but slipping down because it was wet hehe.. It looked like she was on a treadmill hehe

Rah fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Dec 6, 2013

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
Not sure what to make of my (2 year old, former stray, male) cat, whether I'm over reacting or not.

Yesterday morning we noticed him drooling a fair bit, with a scratch to the philtrum, seemed a bit lethargic but he picked up after a nap. The drooling continued, and we figured he might have a scratch inside his mouth too, hence drooling a lot to try and flush it out.

Overnight the drooling stopped up a lot to the point his chin was dry again, but started again this morning

Then this afternoon his nose started snotting up a lot, and he is making weird jaw movements (like the snot/drool is bugging him). The jaw doesn't seem painful to touch, and he let me open his mouth for a bit and I can't see any scratches or marks inside, bar a very small chip to bottom of an incisor that doesn't look new. Both the drool and snot seem clear and normal looking, and he seems to be okay.

He is happily eating wet food (straight up refused dry though) and drinking, and peeing/pooping normally. Do cats get colds/flu like humans, or could this be something worth popping to the vets for?

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

DesperateDan posted:

Not sure what to make of my (2 year old, former stray, male) cat, whether I'm over reacting or not.

Yesterday morning we noticed him drooling a fair bit, with a scratch to the philtrum, seemed a bit lethargic but he picked up after a nap. The drooling continued, and we figured he might have a scratch inside his mouth too, hence drooling a lot to try and flush it out.

Overnight the drooling stopped up a lot to the point his chin was dry again, but started again this morning

Then this afternoon his nose started snotting up a lot, and he is making weird jaw movements (like the snot/drool is bugging him). The jaw doesn't seem painful to touch, and he let me open his mouth for a bit and I can't see any scratches or marks inside, bar a very small chip to bottom of an incisor that doesn't look new. Both the drool and snot seem clear and normal looking, and he seems to be okay.

He is happily eating wet food (straight up refused dry though) and drinking, and peeing/pooping normally. Do cats get colds/flu like humans, or could this be something worth popping to the vets for?
Yes, they can get colds, and it can be kinda similar. Make sure he has plenty of water to drink, and a trip to the vet might be nice, though maybe not necessary.

JayJay
Jun 16, 2005

TEHHHHHH Jetplane!

4R7 THi3F posted:

Why in the hell would anyone spend $200 on a scratching post? Unless you/he means a cat tree, in which case it is one BIG scratching post. Check these out for 90 bucks. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ16O/ The entire thing is literally a giant scratching post with platforms. From that picture, you seem to have a cat that likes to be high up. I would suggest taking the 100 dollars you save on the scratching post (assuming you get a cat tree instead) and buy or make some shelves that she can lounge on up high and move around off the floor without being destructive.

As others said, caps are absolutely the most humane way to prevent scratching. Declawing isn't just the removal of claws, it isn't even just the equivalent of cutting our fingertips off, its the equivalent of removing the bone from the first knuckle up on each of your fingers and will leave lasting physical and mental scarring.

DesperateDan posted:

I would get him some lysine powder to mix in his food or pre-made lysine treats, it helps a lot for clearing up snot. If the discharge turns green or it gets worse then I would definitely make a vet visit.

JayJay fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Dec 6, 2013

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
I just put a new bleacah tab in the toilet tank downstairs and our youngest cat is going nuts on my hands and shirt cuffs. Apparently some cats react similarly to chlorine as they do catnip! Cats are loving weird.

Esmerelda
Dec 1, 2009

Dogen posted:

I just put a new bleacah tab in the toilet tank downstairs and our youngest cat is going nuts on my hands and shirt cuffs. Apparently some cats react similarly to chlorine as they do catnip! Cats are loving weird.
Years ago I had a cat that would go apeshit for bleach. If you cleaned anything with it at all she wanted to roll around on and lick it (which we didn't let her do.) If you smelled like bleach she thought you were the greatest thing ever invented and would cling to you while rubbing her face all over the bleach smelling part.

She was weird.

Araenna
Dec 27, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
My mom buys lavender scented bleach just to try to get my cat to stop freaking out over it. She doesn't think rolling around in bleachy mop water is too good for her.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

JayJay posted:

Why in the hell would anyone spend $200 on a scratching post? Unless you/he means a cat tree, in which case it is one BIG scratching post. Check these out for 90 bucks. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003BYQ16O/ The entire thing is literally a giant scratching post with platforms. From that picture, you seem to have a cat that likes to be high up. I would suggest taking the 100 dollars you save on the scratching post (assuming you get a cat tree instead) and buy or make some shelves that she can lounge on up high and move around off the floor without being destructive.

As others said, caps are absolutely the most humane way to prevent scratching. Declawing isn't just the removal of claws, it isn't even just the equivalent of cutting our fingertips off, its the equivalent of removing the bone from the first knuckle up on each of your fingers and will leave lasting physical and mental scarring.

I would get him some lysine powder to mix in his food or pre-made lysine treats, it helps a lot for clearing up snot. If the discharge turns green or it gets worse then I would definitely make a vet visit.

Bit unrelated, but we recently found an Armarkat cat tree sitting outside one of the dumpsters at our apartment complex. It's absolutely gigantic, and all four of our cats love it. They make a good product! I'm still shocked somebody threw it away - it's in rough shape but it's nothing a vacuum and a few screws couldn't fix.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Is it worth getting my cat shaved for summer? Any time it gets over about 30 C she starts moping about the heat (in fact it isn't even that today, it's just humid) and our summers can go easily over 40 C when they get going. She's not really a long-haired cat though, just a bit fluffy, so I'm not sure if shaving her will actually do much for her except make her look stupid. My previous cat had much longer fur and didn't seem nearly as bothered by the heat as Pepper is.

Here are pictures of her trying to melt into the floor to give a better idea of what I mean about her fur:

WetSpink
Jun 13, 2010
Is there some kind of webpage or infographic with progression of stages of cat starvation - my cat still acts perfectly happy and healthy, and doesn't seem to be in any pain or discomfort. I know she isn't eating due to the nausea caused by the bleeding in her bowel (or possibly bowel cancer) but I don't know how long to keep trying to get her to eat and possibly get past this, or when it's time to let her go.

Twiin
Nov 11, 2003

King of Suck!

Mirthless posted:

Bit unrelated, but we recently found an Armarkat cat tree sitting outside one of the dumpsters at our apartment complex. It's absolutely gigantic, and all four of our cats love it. They make a good product! I'm still shocked somebody threw it away - it's in rough shape but it's nothing a vacuum and a few screws couldn't fix.

Make sure you check for bed bugs!

Dr. Fraiser Chain
May 18, 2004

Redlining my shit posting machine

Organza Quiz posted:

Is it worth getting my cat shaved for summer? Any time it gets over about 30 C she starts moping about the heat (in fact it isn't even that today, it's just humid) and our summers can go easily over 40 C when they get going. She's not really a long-haired cat though, just a bit fluffy, so I'm not sure if shaving her will actually do much for her except make her look stupid. My previous cat had much longer fur and didn't seem nearly as bothered by the heat as Pepper is.

You could get her an old porcelain sink (whatever is cheap) and keep that somewhere shady. The poor conductivity of the sink will make sure its a cool spot for the cat to chill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Goodpancakes posted:

You could get her an old porcelain sink (whatever is cheap) and keep that somewhere shady. The poor conductivity of the sink will make sure its a cool spot for the cat to chill.

That's a pretty good idea if shaving won't help. She has a wooden bowl that she likes to lie in and I've seen her find another couple of cool places on very hot days so she is reasonably good at finding places to not overheat if necessary, but more and cooler can't hurt. It's just that if having less fur would make her more comfortable I'd rather do that. Her normal schedule is chasing butterflies (and catching and eating them) all morning before having a snooze in the afternoon and if it's too hot for her to do that she ends up with too much energy come evening. For example, she's being a total dickhead right now since it's cooled down a bit and she basically didn't move all day. So anything that'll make it easier for her to work off young cat energy (she's just over a year old) during the day is a plus for me.