Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oracle
Oct 9, 2004

quote:

This? It's called ขนมเบื้อง (Kha-Nom-Buang).

That's it. Looks like there's all kinds, I only ever got those orange-yellow ones that taste like shredded coconut some kind of cheesy substance (coconut cream?) and maybe carrot? Raisin? It was weird but sweet and desserty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
Ended up having breakfast in the hotel with an American couple. She was wearing a mumu and had glitter-tip nails. He was wearing a Hard Rock Cafe Bangkok shirt and an I <3 Pattaya ballcap. Texas accent, Obama-care horror stories. I think I'm doing Thailand wrong, but drat if it wasn't fun. I just don't meet people like this at home.

v Fortunately, they both worked in the prison system before retirement, and I'm the kid of a criminologist who worked in a shelter/psychiatric facility, so we had a lot of fun sharing stories and freaking out the English-speaking restaurant staff instead of diving too hard into political issues. v

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 6, 2013

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Sounds legit, yeah. Nice people, don't bring up politics (they'll do it for you, as you noticed).

Nifty
Aug 31, 2004

Shnicker posted:

On a completely different note, has anyone taken advantage of the new 72 hour transit visa/visa on arrival for travel through China? I just found out about it and might check it out on my way home in March. Is Beijing expensive? Is it hard to find a hotel near the airport for a decent price? Is transportation from the airport to the city relatively cheap? Is there a facility for holding luggage at the airport? Sorry for all the questions about China in this thread.

I did the 72 hour visa in Beijing a month ago. Air China flew me from LAX to Beijing to Bangkok. I liked Beijing. It is not expensive, somewhere in between Thailand and America. I have no idea about hotels near the airport, we stayed in the city. Airport to city transit is the Airport Express train which connects to the subway system and it is affordable. Look up a map of the subway system before you arrive, but its pretty extensive and we took it everywhere. Takes about an hour to get to city center on the Airport Express. Don't know about holding luggage.

I recommend doing the 72 hour visa. However, one of the visa requirements is to register once you have arrived at your hotel. We stayed in a girls extra room which we found on airbnb, and of course she didn't register with the Chinese gov't for us. When we were departing, we got held up at immigration and they brought out a supervisor because, since our host didn't register us, we needed to go to the local police station and give them the address we were staying at. The immigration supervisor was quite friendly but things could have gone much worse if he had been a stickler. If you aren't staying at a typical hotel, ensure you register yourself upon arrival at your destination.

PM me with questions.

Nifty fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Dec 6, 2013

Soy Division
Aug 12, 2004

Nifty posted:

I recommend doing the 72 hour visa. However, one of the visa requirements is to register once you have arrived at your hotel. We stayed in a girls extra room which we found on airbnb, and of course she didn't register with the Chinese gov't for us. When we were departing, we got held up at immigration and they brought out a supervisor because, since our host didn't register us, we needed to go to the local police station and give them the address we were staying at. The immigration supervisor was quite friendly but things could have gone much worse if he had been a stickler. If you aren't staying at a typical hotel, ensure you register yourself upon arrival at your destination.
This is true with any non-resident visa, not just the 72 hour TWOV.

FortMan
Jan 10, 2012

Viva Romanesco!

Oracle posted:

That's it. Looks like there's all kinds, I only ever got those orange-yellow ones that taste like shredded coconut some kind of cheesy substance (coconut cream?) and maybe carrot? Raisin? It was weird but sweet and desserty.

There are two traditional fillings: the orange one or "Salty" (more like savory) is shredded coconut and shrimp, and the yellow one or "Sweet" which is fios de ovos, known as Foi Thong (ฝอยทอง) in Thai.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

'So I booked a flight from Siem Reap to Saigon tomorrow because gently caress buses and I just got an email titled "YOUR FLIGHT HAS BEEN CHANGE" from Vietnam Airlines saying the flight that I booked is overbooked and that I can take one of the other flights. I tried to reply to pick the flight I wanted but I can't send email to that address. I don't know what to do now :psyduck:

Do I just show up at the airport and go "yeah I'm taking this flight" or what. They gave me like 4 options. I checked the online check in on the Vietnam Airlines site but it still has me on my original flight. No way to change to another flight and I picked my seat on what looks to be a mostly empty flight.

What the gently caress do I do now. All four options they gave me are way earlier than my original flight.

Edit: had my guesthouse call the office in Siem reap and they said they were closed for a holiday and I'd need to go to the airport to sort it out

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 7, 2013

duckmaster
Sep 13, 2004
Mr and Mrs Duck go and stay in a nice hotel.

One night they call room service for some condoms as things are heating up.

The guy arrives and says "do you want me to put it on your bill"

Mr Duck says "what kind of pervert do you think I am?!

QUACK QUACK
Play dumb. Check in online for the original flight and turn up to get on that one. Probably best to turn up earlier than you would. If they say you're not on that one and mention the email, claim you never got it. If they offer you a new flight you should get compensation.

Check the Siem Reap Airport page first and check the flight hasn't been cancelled entirely though. Vietnam Airlines share their planes with Cambodia Angkor Air or Bangkok Airways (one of them, can't remember which) so it would be completely plausible if they've lost the entire aircraft.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

There's another flight to HCMC after my original one so I'm going to try that. I prob can finagle my way onto a seat on my original flight or the next one especially if I play the deaf card. Nobody ever bumps the disabled. And I wouldn't mind some compensation either :v:

My original flight is at 9 pm and the latest of the alternatives is 6 pm which means no pub street dinner so yeah.

Edit: just checked to see if they were still selling tickets for my flight and they are. At the same cheap price I bought and it says 4 seats left :colbert:

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 7, 2013

WeAreDevo
Oct 4, 2004

A: We are D E V O
I am absolutely loving the surfing here at Rapture Surf Camp in south Bali. Has anyone else flown the Hello Kitty Eva Airlines jets? That was a surreal plane ride here. I kept the Hello Kitty barf bag as a souvenir to remind me that actually happened.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

My friend did. I'm so jealous.

And now I want a Hello Kitty barf bag so bad. Why? I do not know. I just really like Hello Kitty okay.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

So one of the other teachers at my school has had a bit of an issue with shortness of breath. About two weeks ago he went to the doctor and had an X-ray that revealed one lung was half full of fluid. He went to get it drained and got told he had a lung infection. Apparently they just got round to telling him he actually has TB and that's what the antibiotics were for and he should be super careful about taking them but he's probably not infectious. Also since we're teaching people from a number of different countries we should be getting tested every 3 months (that part does make sense and I'm super tempted to schedule a general check up when I get back to the UK in a couple of weeks)

So yeah, South East Asia awesomeness. On the other hand I finally have a reason to say consumption a lot. I really like that word.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I'm not looking forward to the checkup that I'm getting as soon I get back home. One of my blood test results was elevated (it was all in french, the doctor just wrote "normal for cambodia" when translating it for me) and I googled it and it can mean parasites :ohdear:

And I just got another email from Vietnam Airlines, titled "YOUR FLIGHT HAS BEEN CHANGEd" and it was almost as the same as the one I got earlier but now it has a later option listed (after my original flight) so I don't have to leave for the airport stupid early.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
If you really want to entertain yourself, start reading threads on PPRuNe about Vietnam Airlines.

Phnom Penh's newest resident:

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 09:02 on Dec 8, 2013

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

You people will by God act like a team, or at least like people who know each other, or I'll incinerate the bunch of you here and now.
What is up with all the fireworks in Chiang Mai? I thought the king's birthday was days ago. Seems like there's something exploding every single night, and this town is just not that exciting.

e: Oh god gently caress that Sunday walking market bullshit. Not PTSD-compatible.

Pixelante fucked around with this message at 16:10 on Dec 8, 2013

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Duckmaster, I think I understand why you love Siem Reap so much. It's awesome. Tell Tyler bye for me and that I wanted to eat there one last time but he's closed Sundays :(

And a goon recommendation for Siem reap: Greenpark Village Guesthouse is awesome. $7 for a fan room ensuite bathroom with a real hot water system free breakfast and free tuk tuks to pub street. It's kinda far away but free tuk tuks help.

Edit: I'm on my flight and so many elderly Asians who can't read their seat assignments :cripes: it's pretty full so I guess Vietnam Airlines wasn't lying.

Tomato Soup fucked around with this message at 15:15 on Dec 8, 2013

MystOpportunity
Jun 27, 2004
Thailand first-time question:

I'm booking a train ticket on ThailandTrainTicket.com for Bangkok–>Koh Tao and while it promises to take me from A to B, at no point does it mention the ferry(or connection from train to ferry), but something I read elsewhere says it does include it. They also have just Bangkok–>Chumphon, though. Any ideas?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

ThetaOmnikron posted:

I'm booking a train ticket on ThailandTrainTicket.com for Bangkok–>Koh Tao and while it promises to take me from A to B, at no point does it mention the ferry(or connection from train to ferry), but something I read elsewhere says it does include it. They also have just Bangkok–>Chumphon, though. Any ideas?
IIRC the State Railway of Thailand (i.e. the official governmental organization that runs the trains) sells a joint ticket including the ferry, so I would think that this is the exact ticket that they're selling you on TTT. Normally I would say buying a ticket online is a crapshoot but seat61.com vets TTT so I'm a lot less worried.

I'd say buy the ticket and hope for the best. :)

If you're not too picky about exactly when and how you go down to Koh Tao and don't mind spending a day or two in Bangkok, you could land in Bangkok and then go to a travel agency. It's busy season now, though, so this could be a pretty bad idea.

Finch!
Sep 11, 2001

Spatial Awareness?

[ ] Whaleshark

404 Not Found

ThetaOmnikron posted:

I normally take a second class sleeper (aircon lower berth for the win, upper for the fail) on train 85 from Bangkok to Chumphon, then wait around the station until the Lomprayah office opens and buy a ticket and a transfer to the pier there.

If you're going in busy season, book the Lomprayah in advance. Their website is lovely but their booking system does work (just remember to print your ticket).

ThailandTrainTicket.com workd well. The fare should be around 700 baht, from memory, plus another few hundred for the ferry.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
TTT's only downside is that, like other travel agents, you have to pick the ticket up or have it messengered over. I don't know exactly what went down, but the kid who ran Thai Rail Ticket basically got his contract yanked. At his site you could just print it out and go. Obviously someone connected to TAT or SRT realized that something related to tourism was working too smoothly with too much automation and not enough people involved taking money and performing manual tasks slowly and then remedied that.

He posts about it here:
https://www.facebook.com/thairailticket

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

Hey Reindeer, can you make a google map or something with information on what areas to avoid in Bangkok right now? The news over here makes it sound like things are going to get dangerous. I am assuming that's exaggeration, or at least not something I need to fuss with if I'm sticking to places like the aquarium, but I would like to know where the protests are centered so I can be elsewhere. I fly in tomorrow, since the train was totally booked. (gently caress you, holiday-I-didn't-research-in-advance.)

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yingluck just dissolved the government this morning, so while there are continuing (pre-planned) protests, things should be pretty normal until the election, whenever that is. The only issue you'll have is in an area that won't affect you, really, as tourists almost never need to go between Rattanakosin (Khao San/Grand Palace/etc) and the government area (Samsen & Dusit/Where I Live/ugh). If you can avoid Democracy Monument you'll be fine. The other places with large protest crowds lately are way out of your way (unless you go to Immigration for some reason).

The only caveat here is if the Reds retaliate, but I have heard zero of anything about this, so I'd just proceed like it's a normal day and if you see a crowd of happy people blowing whistles and wearing yellow there's nothing to worry about.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Dec 9, 2013

Pixelante
Mar 16, 2006

So... red shirts, hop in a tuktuk and gently caress the hell off ASAP?

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Heh. No, I wouldn't worry. They're not fighting in the streets, really. There's been isolated violence here and there, but it's way below typical noise levels for a major city. If you see anyone just smile and do the usual thing you do in Southeast Asia. It's 100% less dramatic or tense than TV has portrayed. So, unlike 2010, if you think you heard a car backfire, it really was just a car backfiring.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Pixelante posted:

So... red shirts, hop in a tuktuk and gently caress the hell off ASAP?

Just avoid any areas with a lot of police. Red shirts are fine, yellow shirts are fine, it's only where yellow meets red which quickly turns into red meets police that you get actual trouble.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
They're all marching back down to Government House now, which means severe traffic around the Northern end of town and into the Northern Center, but the only thing up here tourists go to is Chatuchak Weekend Market or Chatuchak Park, so nothing new. Kilometers of celebrating Yellows marching and riding down some major streets. It's quite a sight, the Yellows haven't put up this good a show in some time, but the out-of-power party usually musters the biggest crowds for obvious reasons.

paberu
Jun 23, 2013

Thank you for the advice many pages back! We've scaled our trip down to just Cambodia and Thailand.

Working out the logistics currently, has anyone traveled from Siem Riep to Bangkok via train? How was the journey?

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

paberu posted:

Thank you for the advice many pages back! We've scaled our trip down to just Cambodia and Thailand.

Working out the logistics currently, has anyone traveled from Siem Riep to Bangkok via train? How was the journey?

There is no train in Cambodia except the 'bamboo rail' which is pretty much just a tourist thing (I went on the non-touristy part of it, and even that was pretty useless). The easiest/cheapest way to go is to take a bus/buses (they may have you switch buses but you should be able to buy a single ticket anyway).

You can, however, take the bus to the border and then a tuktuk from the border to the train station (should cost less than 100 baht) then take a train from Aranyaprathet to Bangkok. I really like that train - 3rd class diesel, slow as gently caress, but super cheap and kinda fun. The border is scammy as gently caress but easy to navigate if you've built up a decent scamdar. Check out seat61 for details: http://www.seat61.com/Cambodia.htm#Siem Reap

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Yeah, the train's fun for journeys of 5-6 hours or less. The metric for trains is that they're at least 30% longer to get to the destination than a bus in any given case often as high as 50% longer. If you do use the train, make sure to find the dining car, food's surprisingly okay (don't look in the kitchen, ever) and they have cold giant beers.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005
got two friends in a bit of spot, can anyone recommend a good hostel for two girls to stay 1 or 2 nights, preferrably on a budget, in bangkok?

reindeerf :|

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Wish I could help, cheap accommodation in Bangkok isn't my area of expertise. I do see tons of places just around town in all areas, from Thong Lo to Soi Ari and of course Khao San, Rambuttri, Silom and Sukhimvit, but if I were them I'd just get on TripAdvisor or Hostelworld. The thread favorite seems to be Lub'D, which is fairly upscale, but I have no idea what the prices are there.

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

Who is the fat American commentator guy on "Thailand Today" on MCOT?

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

Skandiaavity posted:

got two friends in a bit of spot, can anyone recommend a good hostel for two girls to stay 1 or 2 nights, preferrably on a budget, in bangkok?

Try waking out into the street in Bangkok anywhere that tourists go and throwing a stone.

raton fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Dec 9, 2013

eviljelly
Aug 29, 2004

Skandiaavity posted:

The cheapest of the cheap tend to be near (but not ON) Khao San Road. The place I normally stay is New Siam I (not to be confused with New Siam II or III or Riverside or whatever else they've got nowadays) and it's 370 baht for a double room, fan, shared bath. Not the cheapest and pretty barebones (wifi is extra as well, but you can find free wifi around the area), but I find it to be a decently clean place for the money. They've even got a somewhat useful website, including a somewhat useful map: http://www.newsiam.net/

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Lubd is around $14/bed.

Id just go to KSR if I were your friends and walk around to find a cheap place.

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro

Ganguro King posted:

Who is the fat American commentator guy on "Thailand Today" on MCOT?
I don't have a TV, haven't in years. Is it Khun Andrew or whatever? The remarkably good Thai speaker? Or is it some news expert?

EDIT: It's not Andrew, I was thinking of Andrew Biggs, who isn't American, but who was the original famous Thai speaking farang. I sat at his table a few years ago at some charity event and everyone made us take a picture together since we're both bald, because all bald white people look alike. There's some American now who all the Thai people love for his mastery of Thai and his ability to relate Thai to English. My mother in law took his class recently. I can't remember his name, though.

ReindeerF fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Dec 9, 2013

kru
Oct 5, 2003

ReindeerF posted:

I don't have a TV, haven't in years.

Check out this guy!

Also, riots in Singapore!

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
I also have no landline or car. True story!

Ganguro King
Jul 26, 2007

ReindeerF posted:

I don't have a TV, haven't in years. Is it Khun Andrew or whatever? The remarkably good Thai speaker? Or is it some news expert?

EDIT: It's not Andrew, I was thinking of Andrew Biggs, who isn't American, but who was the original famous Thai speaking farang. I sat at his table a few years ago at some charity event and everyone made us take a picture together since we're both bald, because all bald white people look alike. There's some American now who all the Thai people love for his mastery of Thai and his ability to relate Thai to English. My mother in law took his class recently. I can't remember his name, though.

Ah sorry, the whole program was in English, so I don't know how good his Thai was. The Thai host had really good English though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReindeerF
Apr 20, 2002

Rubber Dinghy Rapids Bro
Na ka!