Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

If he cashes out immediately, all he's saying is "Pay me $30k for my Golf".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Weinertron posted:

If he cashes out immediately, all he's saying is "Pay me $30k for my Golf".

The trick is that it's actually impossible to cash out right now*. Nobody is ever going to get $1000 per bitcoin. So if I had 30 bitcoins, I'd totally jump on it.

But I don't, because I'm not a moron.

*Actually, the only way to cash out is to take advantage of morons such as that guy. Idiots who think bitcoins are actually worth something to someone.

Black88GTA
Oct 8, 2009

KozmoNaut posted:

The trick is that it's actually impossible to cash out right now*. Nobody is ever going to get $1000 per bitcoin. So if I had 30 bitcoins, I'd totally jump on it.

But I don't, because I'm not a moron.

*Actually, the only way to cash out is to take advantage of morons such as that guy. Idiots who think bitcoins are actually worth something to someone.

Someone just bought a (slightly used) Tesla off the showroom floor with buttcoins. :catstare:

Solar Coaster
Sep 2, 2009

A great investment! Send me Bitcoins! What do you mean the price is crashing?

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-3-Serie...=US_Cars_Trucks

$9,500 for an automatic E30 :stare:

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Quick question, when selling a car on Craigslist, I should only accept cash or a cashier's check, right? And in the case of a cashier's check, take it to the bank with the buyer, deposit it, and then sign over the title there?

Personal checks are out, of course, but I want to make sure there's no other legitimate payment source I haven't thought of.

Edit: Googling a little more makes it seem like even depositing the cashier's check immediately at the bank is not safe. If the guy isn't comfortable showing up with $12k, is it easy to just take him to my bank and have them transfer the money directly from account to account?

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 00:37 on Dec 8, 2013

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Your edit is correct.

You need cleared funds. If what makes both of you happy is doing that at a bank it just makes good sense to do so. Yours is better than his, as yours can tell you "yep, it's in your account" and you don't have to walk out with cash. But either way works. Even if you walk out of his bank with a cashiers check, you know it's good unless his "bank" is something shady in someone basement.

Quick edit: This does not mean you don't need to have and make him sign a sales contract with the sale price, etc.

Motronic fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 8, 2013

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

Motronic posted:

Your edit is correct.

You need cleared funds. If what makes both of you happy is doing that at a bank it just makes good sense to do so. Yours is better than his, as yours can tell you "yep, it's in your account" and you don't have to walk out with cash. But either way works. Even if you walk out of his bank with a cashiers check, you know it's good unless his "bank" is something shady in someone basement.

Quick edit: This does not mean you don't need to have and make him sign a sales contract with the sale price, etc.

Ok, I've only bought vehicles in the past, never sold excepting a $700 motorcycle I sold a few years back. What's up with the sales contract? I've bought a used car and a used motorcycle here in CA but never signed anything like that, they just signed over the title and I gave them cash.

And do you mean that if he banked with, say, Bank of America, it would be safe to accept a cashier's check if I went there in person with him to get it? I'd rather just go to my bank and do a transfer if he won't give cash, of course.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Pham Nuwen posted:

What's up with the sales contract? I've bought a used car and a used motorcycle here in CA but never signed anything like that, they just signed over the title and I gave them cash.

Something simple, in plain english. You don't need to involve a lawyer. Try here for good templates: http://www.dmv.org/bill-of-sale.php

While it may not be REQUIRED in your state, it's to you advantage to spend 20 minutes figuring one out.

Pham Nuwen posted:

And do you mean that if he banked with, say, Bank of America, it would be safe to accept a cashier's check if I went there in person with him to get it?

That's exactly what I'm saying. When you watch a cashier from a respectable (ahem, you know what I mean) bank issue a cashier's check to you you can be pretty drat sure it's good. When you receive one from someone where you haven't witnessed getting handed over the counter from the bank there is a much greater chance that it could be a forgery.

Excessive precaution? Maybe. But just how much would losing $12k hurt? It's worth a few hours (at worst) of diligence to me, that's for drat sure.

Citycop
Apr 11, 2005

Greetings, Rainbow Dash.

I will now sing for you a song that I hope will ease your performance anxiety.
The only way to safely assume a cashiers check is not completely fake is to take it to the bank where it was issued, cash it with them right there and walk away with cash in hand, thus completely negating the usefulness of the check. Cashiers check are the most abused and conned pieces of paper in the country. People don't understand that its' just a check, nothing special, and they assume that it is some sort of guaranteed funds.

All you have to do to scam someone with a cashiers check is create your own and use a weird bank from out of town and fudge up the routing numbers. That check will take about a week to bounce. Meanwhile, the victims bank balance is showing the money. This is the second part of the scam where people don't understand that when you deposit a check from another bank to your bank, your taking a loan out against yourself until that check clears. When it bounces, and it will, your bank takes the money back out.

The most common scam involves overpaying with a bogus cashiers check and asking for payment back for difference. When it works it's a triple whammy, the victim does not get paid, they loose their item, and they give the con man extra money. Bonus points if the victim spends the money from the fake check right away and ends up owing the bank a ton of cash. I hate thieves.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Citycop posted:

The only way to safely assume a cashiers check is not completely fake is to take it to the bank where it was issued, cash it with them right there and walk away with cash in hand, thus completely negating the usefulness of the check. Cashiers check are the most abused and conned pieces of paper in the country. People don't understand that its' just a check, nothing special, and they assume that it is some sort of guaranteed funds.

All you have to do to scam someone with a cashiers check is create your own and use a weird bank from out of town and fudge up the routing numbers. That check will take about a week to bounce. Meanwhile, the victims bank balance is showing the money. This is the second part of the scam where people don't understand that when you deposit a check from another bank to your bank, your taking a loan out against yourself until that check clears. When it bounces, and it will, your bank takes the money back out.

The most common scam involves overpaying with a bogus cashiers check and asking for payment back for difference. When it works it's a triple whammy, the victim does not get paid, they loose their item, and they give the con man extra money. Bonus points if the victim spends the money from the fake check right away and ends up owing the bank a ton of cash. I hate thieves.

I hate a banking system that allows this to happen. They are all electronically connected, and could stop cashier check fraud if they wanted to.

krysmopompas
Jan 17, 2004
hi
"Appraised at $75,000"

http://monterey.craigslist.org/cto/4224953128.html

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Pham Nuwen posted:

Quick question, when selling a car on Craigslist, I should only accept cash or a cashier's check, right? And in the case of a cashier's check, take it to the bank with the buyer, deposit it, and then sign over the title there?

Personal checks are out, of course, but I want to make sure there's no other legitimate payment source I haven't thought of.

Edit: Googling a little more makes it seem like even depositing the cashier's check immediately at the bank is not safe. If the guy isn't comfortable showing up with $12k, is it easy to just take him to my bank and have them transfer the money directly from account to account?

Bank transfer done in person with both of you there is safe, at least if you're both with the same bank. I don't know about inter-bank transfers.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!
No car has ever actually made me laugh, no matter how dumb or ridiculous. That thing is cracking me up.

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?
Every car/motorcycle I've bought/sold I've paid/gotten with cash. Like actual cash. There's nothing better at getting a guy to come way off his price on a motorcycle then his wife seeing a wad of $100 bills.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Slugworth posted:

No car has ever actually made me laugh, no matter how dumb or ridiculous. That thing is cracking me up.

I laughed too. I don't know which is more funny though, building a hilariously ugly car on a Mustang, or thinking somehow that it's worth more than the Mustang he built it on. It's actually worth less than the Mustang he started with.

Sadi
Jan 18, 2005
SC - Where there are more rednecks than people
Who's down for a 35k C4 Corvette with 110k on the clock and a doubtful 400hp?
http://atlanta.craigslist.org/atl/cto/4153739260.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

What's really sad is that the guy obviously has good metalworking skills, just no aesthetic sense at all.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Darchangel posted:

I hate a banking system that allows this to happen. They are all electronically connected, and could stop cashier check fraud if they wanted to.

I agree it's ridiculous, but there is no reasonable method for transferring funds inter-bank immediately in the US. The ACH clearing house still operates like they're physically driving tapes around to each bank - it's a daily batch process.

What we need is something like the European banks have. You can clear funds phone to phone between two banks in less than 10 seconds.

Dr.Caligari
May 5, 2005

"Here's a big, beautiful avatar for someone"

It looks like it was lifted right out of a Playstation 1 game.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

This is what happens when a Lotus Elise, Cadillac Deville and Ford Mustang mate. Have your cars spayed or neutered.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-classic-cars-1982-Mercedes-Benz-Unimog-406-W0QQAdIdZ484805606

God drat I want this

quote:

After 3 years of working on it without putting so much as a mile on it, I'm having to sell my 1982 SEE prototype Unimog. This unit is essentially an 8 speed CASE U900, but with many nice upgrades.

Below is a short list of what separates this unit from all the other 406s out there:

- It's RUST FREE! Those that know 406/416 Unimogs know how hard these gems are to find.
- It's also the ugliest shade of yellow known to man and does have a couple of small dings.
- It has the factory 110 HP motor, not the 82 HP motor
- It has the much preferred disc brakes all around.
- I've upgraded the fuel tank to a 120L from the factory 80L.
- Two independent hydraulic systems (1 x PTO driven, 1 x belt driven)
- All of it's maintenance is COMPLETELY up to date. Every fluid, every grease point, everything that was worn has been completely replaced and gone through.
- Has a snorkel.
- Comes with a spare wheel (needs repair), seat, fuel tank and an assortment of other spare parts you can pawn off, run over or keep as spares.

This truck comes with a fresh inspection and has had the following work done to make sure it's problem free for years to come:

- New 24v sealed beam headlight
- New fuse panel
- Completely re-wired electrical system to remove the chance of any of the electrical gremlins that come with a 30 year old truck (new lights, relays, solenoids, switches, flashers... EVERYTHING!)
- 3 x New 800 CCA batteries (four total)
- 4 x Newer Continental MPT 81's mounted
- New muffler/exhaust work
- Fuel filters replaced
- New brake master cylinder
- New fuel gauge
- New windshield washer pump
- New windshield washer reservoir
- Replaced heater ducting
- Etc.

Countless other items addressed to make sure this truck would be problem free for years to come. Unfortunately I'm moving and it's got to go! My loss is your gain, as the cliche goes.

*** Please note that the picture is of the truck when I first received it. The tires, headlight, etc have since been replaced. ***

*** Please also note that I have a 10,000 LB hydraulic winch, winch plate and spare tire mount that I would also consider selling on the cheap to sweeten the deal. ***

Seriously interested parties are encouraged to CALL for more information.

Corey

Only registered members can see post attachments!

shoopeach
Aug 13, 2012

Motronic posted:

I agree it's ridiculous, but there is no reasonable method for transferring funds inter-bank immediately in the US. The ACH clearing house still operates like they're physically driving tapes around to each bank - it's a daily batch process.

What we need is something like the European banks have. You can clear funds phone to phone between two banks in less than 10 seconds.

When I lived in germany, the only way to really transfer funds was via wire transfer. I remember purchasing car parts on ebay and having to wait for my transfer to clear in order to get the parts shipped. The concept of paypal was some sort of fly by night system that no one trusted.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Only $50,000 for a 19 year old undesirable Cadillac.
http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-trucks-1995-Cadillac-Brougham-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ542009342

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Motronic posted:

Hence the "if they wanted to". They act like we don't have a near-instantaneous global information and communications medium. The banking system was all cutting edge computerized in the '70s and ' 80s. What happened?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

Darchangel posted:

The banking system was all cutting edge computerized in the '70s and ' 80s. What happened?

That's what happened.

The US cell phone network and internet access were cutting-edge when they were introduced, now you've got incumbents who put off upgrading as long as they can, as they've already got billions sunk into obsolete infrastructure.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

VideoTapir posted:

That's what happened.

The US cell phone network and internet access were cutting-edge when they were introduced, now you've got incumbents who put off upgrading as long as they can, as they've already got billions sunk into obsolete infrastructure.

Roger that. It's really annoying that everyone else has better, cheaper phones and service, because US corporations are fat, lazy, greedy slobs.

Tai-Pan
Feb 10, 2001

Darchangel posted:

Roger that. It's really annoying that everyone else has better, cheaper phones and service, because US corporations are fat, lazy, greedy slobs.

This really isn't true. The US has essentially all of the newest phones (from a major manufacturer) and cell service costs are comparable or less than most western countries. Most people forget that the Europeans tend not to subsidize their phones, so their monthly bill looks lower. Additionally, telcos in Scandinavian countries get a lot of subsidies, so those are artificially lower. On average, talk plans are cheaper than the US, but data plans tend to be more (it varies by country).

In addition, much of the cost difference in the US is the result of rolling out LTE/4g. Something that is relatively rare in Europe outside of major metros. Which kinds puts your point in perspective.

We don't have the $50 Androids, but trust me you don't want them.

But what the rest of the world doesnt have is a chopped ranchero.
http://austin.craigslist.org/cto/4138708104.html

Tai-Pan fucked around with this message at 16:52 on Dec 10, 2013

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
on the Volvo wheels instead of the Evo8s, and with halogens installed and the car raised back up, this is basically my ideal car

quote:

have the itch to build a Volvo 142. So I am putting my 1992 Volvo 245 with a CARB legal turbo swap up for sale. That's right, it was given a seal of approval from the California smog referee, and has a sticker to prove it! It's a late 240 with a 2.3L turbo, that comes without any hassles when smog time rolls around every 2 years. The ideal setup!!

This car was my wife's daily driver for the past few years, used to drive our 4 year old daughter all over town. It's been on several long road trips as well, and has been an absolute rock solid vehicle. I think we will probably regret selling it. It's truly the best Volvo I have ever owned, in terms of being a comfortable and dependable daily driver.

GOOD:
1. CARB approved 2.3L turbo swap!
2. Very clean paint. The hood and roof were repainted, but there is a little bit of clearcoat peeling on those panels in a few spots. It looks great from 10 feet away, but it's no concourse paint job. Perfect for a daily driver that you want to wash and wax every once in a while and be proud of.
3. Very clean interior. Tan cloth interior looks very nice, no rips or terrible stains. I shampooed the entire interior today, and it smells fantastic in there. The dash has two small cracks, but it looks great.
4. Cold A/C - late style R12 components with an E-fan that comes on with the AC
5. OEM glass E-codes, not reproduction. A high/low beam HID kit is installed, but I can replace that with high wattage PIAA H4 bulbs if the buyer prefers regular headlights.
6. Lots of accessories: OEM dog gate, upgraded speakers front and rear, subwoofer hidden in the passenger side buttcheek, ratcheting armrest, rear facing seat (not installed), rear cargo plastic tray, front passenger plastic floormats, tow hitch with trailer wiring, power windows and locks all work, GT braces, IPD sways, tinted windows with minimal scratches,
7. Everything works well. Brakes, electrical, mechanical... There's nothing to complain about.
8. No rust. Very clean and dry.
9. Can deliver anywhere in the country for a reasonable fee. My wife loves road trips, and I love getting time in the garage to work on my other projects.
10. Has the accumulator mod, so it shifts like a beast
11. Manual boost controller lets you set the boost where you want it. We always kept it at 10psi or less.
12. The stereo sounds great, and is completely invisible. All door speakers behind stock grills, sub hidden under the cargo area.
13. Has the power of the turbo with all the comfort of a late model 240 such as improved sound deadening, taller gearing, better air conditioning, better weatherstripping, better front seats, more sun proof plastic, etc...
14. Nearly invisible to cops when you're speeding (no guarantees on that!) But it'll roll down the freeway at 80mph+ without any issues whatsoever.

BAD:
1. sometimes idles a little rough when I start it on cold mornings, especially when it's damp or humid outside. I have given it a tune up, changed the air filter, looked at it a lot, but haven't found the cause. But after 10 seconds of idling weird, it snaps out of it and runs great, so it's an easy problem to ignore.
2. license plate light does not work, due to the wires in the tailgate harnesses being broken. Common problem, pretty easy fix. The rear wiper works great.
3. The ride is kind of rough, because it's so low. For a very small fee, I can put taller springs back into the car if the buyer would prefer.
4. The rear wiper makes one swipe every time you turn the headlights on or off. LOL, I don't know exactly why.
5. Glovebox got stuck closed. I hope to have this fixed before the sale.
6. Auxiliary input in the deck recently failed, so it's radio, CD, or ipod only now. The deck does have an ipod input, but it doesn't work with my iphone 4S
7. original tail light lenses are getting kind of faded and old looking, but work fine.
8. Rear hatch leaks a little water. It just started doing this the last time I washed it (today). I will get in there and investigate what's up, but I did just tighten a loose tail gate hinge, so I suspect something is out of alignment or I possibly got the gasket out of position.

ADDITIONAL PICTURES:

http://s255.photobucket.com/user/LOW145/library/1992%20Volvo

PRICES:

On 15" Volvo Virgo wheels: $3500
On the 17" Evo8 wheels shown on the car in most of the pics: $4000
On NEW 17" BBS RS replicas (shown in the pic sitting on the floor): $4500
+ add short struts with Saab inserts: $500
+ add something else that you might want: ask me

Always feel free to make an offer. I might be interested in a partial trade either way, up or down.

djdanno13
Apr 20, 2004

Killing Nazi Zombies since June 14 1775

Darchangel posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Apparently someone has never had to deal with deutsch Telekom. Just trying to get Internet access will make you lust for home and a customer service that almost sucks your dick compared to what you get out there.

Some content

Any collector would want a mid 70's stang.

djdanno13 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Dec 11, 2013

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
Spray paint for your engine bay must be expensive. On my phone so no screenshot.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/evl/cto/4227018550.html

ComfyPants
Mar 20, 2002

Holdbrooks posted:

Spray paint for your engine bay must be expensive. On my phone so no screenshot.

It's like he tried to steal it out of JCPenney and the dye pack exploded.

este
Feb 17, 2004

Boing!
Dinosaur Gum
"...no low ballers..dont waste my time"

He didn't even list an asking price.

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Holdbrooks posted:

God Damnit. Miata's really are the new 240's, and every single one is going to be ruined.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

este posted:

"...no low ballers..dont waste my time"

He didn't even list an asking price.

I think that's just become one of the magical Craigslist incantations

"No spammers or scammers"

"rat rod"

"honda toyota ford corvette pickup semi bicycle V8 hyundai snowmobile galaxie dodge..."

Edit: vvvv oh god I forgot about the "ac refill"

Also "just needs tuneup"

Pham Nuwen fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 11, 2013

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Pham Nuwen posted:

I think that's just become one of the magical Craigslist incantations

"No spammers or scammers"

"rat rod"

"honda toyota ford corvette pickup semi bicycle V8 hyundai snowmobile galaxie dodge..."

.-~= over $50,000,000 invested my loss is your gain just needs ac refill l00k =~-.

Holdbrooks
Jan 1, 2005

NEAI 2015
RIDE ETERNAL SHINY AND CHROME
ONWARD TO THE HALLS OF RUSTHALLA
I'm thinking about this one for my exocet donor not really interested in the motor. What do you guys think?

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/wvl/cto/4234181101.html

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

atomicthumbs posted:

on the Volvo wheels instead of the Evo8s, and with halogens installed and the car raised back up, this is basically my ideal car

...and not a single picture of the engine swap. Despite that, I love that wagon. It looks good on the Evos. It would look phenomenal on the BBS reps. I like the ride height, but if it's uncomfortable, an inch or so up would be tolerable. I like the look of low, but I'm not willing to make the car un-drivable for looks.
Little far from Texas, sadly. Also, I'm broke.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

Darchangel posted:

...and not a single picture of the engine swap.

It will look identical to the original engine; it's only swapped to a turbo engine because CARB says you can't add a turbo to a car that didn't have one originally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

opengl128 posted:

God Damnit. Miata's really are the new 240's, and every single one is going to be ruined.

I don't think so, there were WAY more miatas made than 240's so the odds of all of them being ruined are pretty slim. That and all different walks of life enjoy Miatas, not just drifters and ricers, it's easy if you're patient to find one that wasn't molested and taken care of.