Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

Irish Joe posted:

Good, but kinda dull and in a foreign language.

Opera is like J-Pop for theater nerds. They can't understand the lyrics, the music is outdated and nobody they talk to gives a poo poo about it, but at least its not *ugh* top 40s pop Broadway.

This is so wrong.

Seats at the Met can be had for $20, they translate the libretto right at your seat in real time. The stage direction is amazing, considering that they tear down the stage every single night to change for a different opera the next day, and the singers sing without amplification.

Plus there are new operas put out all the time. Met Opera had one about Nixon and China not that long ago.

Everyone should try to go to the opera at least once.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Yeah it's all well and good to sneer at art, but you can't really judge until you try it.

Unless it's written by Brannon Braga.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

http://www.nowtoronto.com/stage/story.cfm?content=195663

A pretty good oral history of the Kids in the Hall with bit from everyone. They talk about the break up and how they were extremely lucky to get their big break.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Opera is like J-Pop for theater nerds. They can't understand the lyrics, the music is outdated and nobody they talk to gives a poo poo about it, but at least its not *ugh* top 40s pop Broadway.
Opera is like sex. Lots of idiots haven't tried it, but still have lovely, uneducated opinions about it.

It's been around for ages and never gets old.

People pretend skill isn't a factor in the enjoyment of it, but those who do have it know better.

Are we done with stupid analogies?

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

scary ghost dog posted:

There's seriously gotta be somewhere to talk about Eagleheart.

It's one of my favorite shows on Adult swim right now. I'm glad that they decided to go with a continuous story arc this season because it helps ground things (if only slightly) with how batshit insane the show has gotten.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The Marshal's office turning into some sort of living organism that births new Marshals out of bleeding walls made of skin was genius. Such a fantastic show.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Why are people still making serious replies to Irish Joe posts?

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
Shhhhhhh. Don't ruin the fun.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
He does say stuff that I agree with mixed in with his juvenile enfant terrible bullshit so its hard to ignore completely.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Just saw the pilot of The Good Wife, and drat, what a surprisingly good one that was.

Does it keep being this good, or does it turn into a boring procedural eventually.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Cactus posted:

So how far down the shitter has Homeland gone this season? I'm not seeing much talk surrounding it and that I have seen has been vaguely negative. Did the it's going to go like 24 predictions from the first season finally reach fruition?

The first half of the season was complete dreadful poo poo, like late Dexter bad on the Showtime scale. I (barely) stuck with it and it's improved a lot with a semi-coherent plot and by focusing on the better characters, but yeah, it's basically 24 with better acting at this point.

ufarn posted:

Just saw the pilot of The Good Wife, and drat, what a surprisingly good one that was.

Does it keep being this good, or does it turn into a boring procedural eventually.

It gets better! The procedural aspects are unusually good for lawyer shows, and it introduces a lot of long game developments and great recurring characters and those sorts of good things. They're currently on by far the best run of the series and we're way out here in season 5.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The Good Wife is, awful supporting characters in the home life aside, really solid. Around three seasons in it starts to have the occasional horrendous gimmick episode in the same vein as late (extremely self-indulgent) Boston Legal, but those aside it is still a good way to spend forty minutes.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The Good Wife is really... good. And keeps getting better with a few missteps here and there.

futurememory
Oct 22, 2011

"You're a bad man! You're a VERY bad man!"

raditts posted:

Why are people still making serious replies to Irish Joe posts?

I couldn't resist. :(

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat
Grace is the only weak link on The Good Wife, in my opinion, and she's a minor enough of a character that it hardly detracts from the overall greatness of the show.

In my opinion.

Spatula City
Oct 21, 2010

LET ME EXPLAIN TO YOU WHY YOU ARE WRONG ABOUT EVERYTHING
Even if The Good Wife were kind of bad, which it isn't, I'd watch all of it for Kalinda. :allears:

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.
The Good Wife --> Kalinda
The Good Witch --> Galinda

:monocle:

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Spatula City posted:

Even if The Good Wife were kind of bad, which it isn't, I'd watch all of it for Kalinda. :allears:

I love Kalinda but a vast majority of the problems in the show involve them trying at least once per season to introduce love interests for Kalinda that aren't Cary.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Manos del Sino posted:

Grace is the only weak link on The Good Wife, in my opinion, and she's a minor enough of a character that it hardly detracts from the overall greatness of the show.

In my opinion.

"Oh, I love you Jeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesus <3."

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.
If I were to make a thread for The Sing Off would anyone post in in besides me? Before I go into the effort of making something decent...

smg77
Apr 27, 2007

Tupping Liberty posted:

If I were to make a thread for The Sing Off would anyone post in in besides me? Before I go into the effort of making something decent...

I would post in it to express my profound sadness that Sara Bareilles isn't a judge this season. :smith:

Kraps
Sep 9, 2011

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
What's Farscape?

Tupping Liberty
Mar 17, 2008

Never cross an introvert.

smg77 posted:

I would post in it to express my profound sadness that Sara Bareilles isn't a judge this season. :smith:

That was going to be a significant part of the OP.

Manos del Sino
Apr 12, 2004

Original Pony
Soiled Meat

Kraps posted:

What's Farscape?

The natural evolution of Muppets in Space.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

Kraps posted:

What's Farscape?

Australian sci-fi series from 99-'03. It wasn't bad, but it definitely looked like a lower budget sci-fi from the era (Lexx, Cleopatra 2099 or whatever the gently caress year it was, Gene Roddenberry's anything-but-star-trek).

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
Lower budget? It had legitimate Muppets. Yeah season 1 could be a bit rough, but they picked up quality from season 2 on. It's a great show, and everyone should give it a chance.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
As muppets go, Pilot is a drat good muppet.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
I didn't say it was bad. And I'm not sure I saw much outside of season 1, which I enjoyed, but trying to keep up with it on sci-fi was a god damned chore.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Lycus posted:

As muppets go, Pilot is a drat good muppet.

I hated most of the puppets on Farscape but Pilot was pretty awesome. Especially when all the other characters are in the same room with him... her... it and you realize it's ENORMOUS.

Some of the puppets were only slightly better looking than the Alien spoof from Spaceballs.

e: I don't care what anybody says, the first few/half dozen episodes after the pilot were AWFUL. The pilot itself was just okay. It does get markedly better though.

It bugs me how much of a dudebro the main character is. I don't dislike him, but still. Wanna punch that square jaw.

Conduit for Sale! fucked around with this message at 06:33 on Dec 8, 2013

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Boogaleeboo posted:

Lower budget? It had legitimate Muppets. Yeah season 1 could be a bit rough, but they picked up quality from season 2 on. It's a great show, and everyone should give it a chance.

I'm always annoyed when shows have bad recurring CGI aliens when a perfectly good puppet would more than suffice and probably cost less. I respect Farscape and the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy movie for their use of puppet aliens.

It probably helps that Jim Henson's Creature Shop did an outstanding job on both.

[Edit: Holy poo poo, JHCS didn't do the Muppets for the 2011 movie? How on earth did they lose that bid?]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 07:18 on Dec 8, 2013

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

Kaizoku posted:

Australian sci-fi series from 99-'03. It wasn't bad, but it definitely looked like a lower budget sci-fi from the era (Lexx, Cleopatra 2099 or whatever the gently caress year it was, Gene Roddenberry's anything-but-star-trek).

Uh, it's Cleopatra 2525 you dirty heathen. And it was Gina Torres' first starring role on a TV show and the only reason she got her role on Alias which is the reason she got her role on Firefly (ok I made that last part up and the show was terrible but...)

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

Palooka posted:

Uh, it's Cleopatra 2525 you dirty heathen. And it was Gina Torres' first starring role on a TV show and the only reason she got her role on Alias which is the reason she got her role on Firefly (ok I made that last part up and the show was terrible but...)

I only knew about it because in Germany it was on after Team Knight Rider, and my host family loved TKR.

Also, there were ads during Jack of all Trades.

Cactus
Jun 24, 2006

Don't ever give up on Farscape until you've been introduced to a character called Scorpius and had a chance to see how he interacts with the rest of the cast.

He's one of my favourite antagonists from any show.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Palooka posted:

But now she's on one of the best shows on TV (Hannibal), so it all worked out.

thrakkorzog
Nov 16, 2007

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I hated most of the puppets on Farscape but Pilot was pretty awesome. Especially when all the other characters are in the same room with him... her... it and you realize it's ENORMOUS.

Some of the puppets were only slightly better looking than the Alien spoof from Spaceballs.

e: I don't care what anybody says, the first few/half dozen episodes after the pilot were AWFUL. The pilot itself was just okay. It does get markedly better though.

It bugs me how much of a dudebro the main character is. I don't dislike him, but still. Wanna punch that square jaw.

I kind of liked how Crichton just went crazy. He's kind of an ideal human, an astronaut who designed his own spaceship, and after 6 months dealing with aliens he's just borrowing bits from Blazing Saddles, and taking himself hostage.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

thrakkorzog posted:

I kind of liked how Crichton just went crazy. He's kind of an ideal human, an astronaut who designed his own spaceship, and after 6 months dealing with aliens he's just borrowing bits from Blazing Saddles, and taking himself hostage.
I think the Crichton/Braca scene in the Princess three-parter is one of my favorite scenes in all of TV.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Dec 8, 2013

Palooka
Mar 13, 2005

MUST...WATCH...ALL...TV

Joramun posted:

But now she's on one of the best shows on TV (Hannibal), so it all worked out.

...because Cleopatra 2525 got her the Alias role which got her a Matrix Reloaded role where she met her husband, Laurence Fishburne, who recommended her for the part of his wife on Hannibal which is indeed a great show Mads Mikkelsen 4 LYFE.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Mads Mikkelsen then. Mads Mikkelsen now. Mads Mikkelsen forever.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.
Wasn't someone going to create a Genius season 2 thread? I believe the first episode of the second season just aired. I haven't found a sub for it yet, but I've seen reports someone is working on one:

https://twitter.com/bumdidlyump

Unfortunately she just got her Youtube account yanked, as she previously had the series uploaded there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually had no idea that Farscape was an Australian production. Huh.

• Locked thread