Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

How much does each Dragon Dance raise your stats by? Is it the equivalent of like, +10 the corresponding stat(s) or what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nibble
Dec 28, 2003

if we don't, remember me

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

How much does each Dragon Dance raise your stats by? Is it the equivalent of like, +10 the corresponding stat(s) or what?

+50% of your base Attack and Speed each time, up to a maximum of 6 times for +300%.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Nibble posted:

+50% of your base Attack and Speed each time, up to a maximum of 6 times for +300%.

This is how all stat-increasing and stat-decreasing moves work, by the way - if you use Dragon Dance and the opponent uses Growl, your Attack will end up right back where it started. The only exception are moves that "greatly raise/lower" your stat (like Swords Dance or Scary Face), which increase/decrease by 100% instead.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Main Paineframe posted:

This is how all stat-increasing and stat-decreasing moves work, by the way - if you use Dragon Dance and the opponent uses Growl, your Attack will end up right back where it started. The only exception are moves that "greatly raise/lower" your stat (like Swords Dance or Scary Face), which increase/decrease by 100% instead.

Don't forget "Drastically raise/lower", which boosts by 150%! The only moves that do this are Cotton Guard (+3 Defense) and Tail Glow (+3 Special Attack), though.

Immer
Aug 11, 2009

It's what they were born for.
They serve no other purpose in life.
Keep doing what you're doing.
Someone in the thread brought this up earlier, and it's the easiest way I remember it. At Stage 0, your stats are 2/2 (100%).

Buff = add 1 to the numerator
Debuff = subtract 1 from the denominator

+6: 8/2 = 400%
+5: 7/2 = 350%
+4: 6/2 = 300%
+3: 5/2 = 250%
+2: 4/2 = 200%
+1: 3/2 = 150%
0: 2/2 = 100%
-1: 2/3 = 67%
-2: 2/4 = 50%
-3: 2/5 = 40%
-4: 2/6 = 33%
-5: 2/7 = 29%
-6: 2/8 = 25%

Immer fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Dec 7, 2013

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Zoness posted:

How does Scizor dump on Aegislash, especially a king's shield one?

If it uses Pursuit, it'll die to a Sacred Sword + Shadow Sneak, while its own STABs are much worse. M-Scizor might be able to tank it but even then it's not a sure thing.

Aegislash walls most Scizor sets pretty hard, in fact. Also Scizor doesn't resist ghost type attacks any more.

I've lost count of the amount of times people send out aegislash against my mega scizor, expecting me to run head first into kings shield and instead, using swords dance and then turning around and one shotting it with pursuit.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Countblanc posted:

Sableye shuts down pretty much any Mega Kangaskhan set and gives zero fucks about Sucker Punch or Crunch. I mean obviously the solution is to just not engage that fight, but that's easier said than done sometimes. I have no idea why people aren't using Sableye more in the current OU meta, it's so physically dominated and Sableye just laughs at physical attackers that aren't Azumarril.

Sableye is literally the only thing that counters Kangaskhan. Everything else loses to the appropriate coverage move or succeeds in burning but dies anyway. Even Sableye is a little shaky; if it switches into a Crunch or Earthquake when any hazards are up it has to go for the Will-O-Wisp so the Kangaskhan user can just switch out to a Magic Bouncer or Fire type. This makes it pretty easy to wear Sableye down with repeated Crunches.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Sableye making it to the OU metagame warms my heart. You made it, little buddy. :unsmith:

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

WrightOfWay posted:

Sableye is literally the only thing that counters Kangaskhan. Everything else loses to the appropriate coverage move or succeeds in burning but dies anyway. Even Sableye is a little shaky; if it switches into a Crunch or Earthquake when any hazards are up it has to go for the Will-O-Wisp so the Kangaskhan user can just switch out to a Magic Bouncer or Fire type. This makes it pretty easy to wear Sableye down with repeated Crunches.

Expert Belt Mach Punch from Breloom will put a dent in him

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

In who? Kangaskhan or Sableye? I can maybe see Kangaskhan, but it won't even touch Sableye.

ALEX TRILLTON
Sep 9, 2011

IF I'M EVER A DICK ON THE INTERNET, TELL PAULSEPHIROTH'S MOM

Nibble posted:

Not quite.

It's 1.5x, 2.0x, 2.5x, 3.0x, 3.5x, 4.0x.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

WrightOfWay posted:

Sableye is literally the only thing that counters Kangaskhan.

Not true, know keeping bashing on but Mandibuzz is a great counter to Mega Kangaskhan. Bulky enough to take any of its moves plus being immune to Earthquake is a big boost and able to 2HKO it with Foul Play, OHKO it if it tries to set up on you with Power-Up Punch (which does about 20% to Mandibuzz no stat changes).

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Breloom is OHKOed by Return. Hell, even Power-Up Punch plus Sucker Punch KOes. Breloom is a revenge killer (that needs a Choice Band to OHKO full health Kangaskhan) not a counter.

Leveling
Oct 30, 2012

Immer posted:

Someone in the thread brought this up earlier, and it's the easiest way I remember it. At Stage 0, your stats are 2/2 (100%).
Except for evasion and accuracy, where it's 3/3.
So you need a +3 evasion to get a 50% chance to evade an attack instead of a +2, and a +6 evasion means you get a 66% chance to evade instead of 75%.
It's not a big change, but it exists.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Shogunate posted:

Not true, know keeping bashing on but Mandibuzz is a great counter to Mega Kangaskhan. Bulky enough to take any of its moves plus being immune to Earthquake is a big boost and able to 2HKO it with Foul Play, OHKO it if it tries to set up on you with Power-Up Punch (which does about 20% to Mandibuzz no stat changes).

Jolly Power-Up Punch plus Return KOes Mandibuzz most of the time while Adamant or Stealth Rock guarantee it.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Not quite.

That's literally the same thing as:

Nibble posted:

Seriously :wtc:

Anyway M-Kanga suffers from 4 move slot syndrome (kind of) so it's important to scout out what moveset you're dealing with, but I'd at the least expect Sucker Punch and Return in every M-Kanga set.

PuP I believe is more common on Jolly M-Kanga while Fake Out is used on Adamant, but I'm not sure on that, I usually either only get sucker punched by M-Kanga (Mienshao can survive an unboosted Sucker Punch from full health and then answer with a HJK :smuggo:)

Night Blade posted:

I've lost count of the amount of times people send out aegislash against my mega scizor, expecting me to run head first into kings shield and instead, using swords dance and then turning around and one shotting it with pursuit.

Aegislash is literally one of the most misused pokemon this gen and I have seen a lot mindblowingly stupid Aegislash sets.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Dec 7, 2013

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Do we know how pokemon bank is supposed to work yet? Like is it linked to my 3DS or the game itself. Basically I am figuratively dying to just drop all my pokes into it and restart my X playthrough to do a Wondertrade Nuzlocke.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Maxmaps posted:

Do we know how pokemon bank is supposed to work yet? Like is it linked to my 3DS or the game itself. Basically I am figuratively dying to just drop all my pokes into it and restart my X playthrough to do a Wondertrade Nuzlocke.

It's an online cloud storage type deal where you upload your Pokemon to the server and can access it with any of your other compatible games.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Not quite.

That's the same thing!

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

ALEX TRILLTON posted:

Not quite.

I'm just gonna quote this again because it's funny. Learn math, dude.

e: Oh, re: Megakhan counters, I've seen like thirty of the drat things and my Mawile has broken every single one of them in half. At -1 from Intimidate, even an Adamant Kanga's Earthquake won't kill her before she can get a Brick Break off, and on the off chance that doesn't get the kill I can just Sucker Punch on the next turn

LAY-ZX fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 7, 2013

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

quote:

Aegislash is literally one of the most misused pokemon this gen and I have seen a lot mindblowingly stupid Aegislash sets.

I mean, the worst thing an aegislash has ever done to my scizor is shadow ball it, and that's not enough for a 1 hit ko. Kingshield is easily predictable against scizor in nearly every siutation.

- I bring in scizor, he switches out to aegislash. I dance on the turn he switches in. The other guy either

1 - Uses swords dance himself next turn
2 - Uses King's shield

I know he probably wont on hit KO me next turn, so I swords dance again.

1 - He wastes king's shield
2 - He risks it and goes for the attack; if he goes for the attack he might kill me, but more often than not...

- Other guy wastes king's shield
- Pursuit Instadeath.

OR!

I send out Goodra
He sends out Aegislash

Fireblast > Weakness policy > Shadowsneak > fails to kill goodra due to bulky EV spread > Fireblast > Ded

You're probably right about the misused thing.

JackGeneric
Apr 23, 2008

[Witty observation]
I think he might've just confused "to a maximum of plus 300%" (implying a 4x multiplier) with "to a maximum of 300%" (a 3x multiplier).

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Yeah, I only briefly used an Aegislash but it was a mixed attacker, and it did a pretty good job of catching people off guard by suddenly making GBS threads out a Shadow Ball on their physical wall. I don't get why everyone uses the same ultra-predictable King's Shield/Swords Dance set when its special attack is just as high as its physical.

Hell, slap HP Fire on the thing and those Scizors who switch in on it are going to have a really bad day.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

so Pokemon x and y are available only on 3Ds' correct?

Mr Wind Up Bird
Jan 23, 2004

i'm a goddamn coward
but then again so are you

Bob NewSCART posted:

so Pokemon x and y are available only on 3Ds' correct?
You can play them on a 2DS but not a normal DS, DS Light, or DSi (or DSi XL)

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

You can play them on a 2DS but not a normal DS, DS Light, or DSi (or DSi XL)

Please note that the 2DS is a specific system and not shorthand for the older DS consoles.

2MB
Feb 3, 2009

"No need to speak. Your fists told me everything I need to know about you."

JesustheDarkLord posted:

Please note that the 2DS is a specific system and not shorthand for the older DS consoles.

This was the biggest mistake in Nintendo's naming scheme. 2DS coming out after the 3DS but the name implies an older version of the console.

Choray
Oct 31, 2009

I'm stuck in a hospital and being a proper nerd I figured I'd take the time to breed a fun gimmicky 3v3 team and I had this idea. Any thoughts on this for a core before I get to work?

Gigalith @Lum Berry/Mental Herb
Adamant - Sturdy
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
- Gravity
- Explosion
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Gengar @Gengarite
Timid - Levitate
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam/Thunder

Gallade @Life Orb
Jolly - Steadfast
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
- Hypnosis
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Psycho Cut

Movesets not final and I'm not sure who to keep on the sidelines yet, but I feel like this would at least have some entertainment value. Might do a Probopass with Volt Switch as an alternate Gravity lead.

Choray fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Dec 7, 2013

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!

Choray posted:

I'm stuck in a hospital and being a proper nerd I figured I'd take the time to breed a fun gimmicky 3v3 team and I had this idea. Any thoughts on this for a core before I get to work?

Gigalith @Lum Berry/Mental Herb
Adamant - Sturdy
252 HP, 252 Atk, 4 SpD
- Gravity
- Explosion
- Stone Edge
- Earthquake

Gengar @Gengarite
Timid - Levitate
252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 HP
- Hypnosis
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast
- Dazzling Gleam/Thunder

Gallade @Life Orb
Jolly - Steadfast
252 Atk, 252 Spe, 4 HP
- Hypnosis
- Close Combat
- Stone Edge
- Psycho Cut

Movesets not final and I'm not sure who to keep on the sidelines yet, but I feel like this would at least have some entertainment value. Might do a Probopass with Volt Switch as an alternate Gravity lead.

If you're gonna do triples rock slide is your friend if you're going to use stone edge. That multi hit too good.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

What's a good EV spread/moveset for a Jolly Mega Pinsir?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

It's really not that good, since it has awful physical move distribution. There's nothing stopping it from being murdered by any steel type wall. Anything that relies on belly drum in doubles is incredibly vulnerable as well, so it won't do better there.

It's still quite effective against those who worship at the altar of Smogon, who haven't quite understood the changes to the metagame (because the most recent writeups are still gen 5) and who therefore don't know how good fairies are. There's a good chance they won't think to use a Fire-type defensively or a Poison-type at all, for instance. And they might even have more than one dragon!

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

What's a good EV spread/moveset for a Jolly Mega Pinsir?

Max Speed and Attack, then put the last 6 anywhere you want (probably HP)

Return
Swords Dance/Substitute/fighting attack
Quick Attack (you did breed this on, did you?)
Earthquake

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Rudoku posted:

Max Speed and Attack, then put the last 6 anywhere you want (probably HP)

Return
Swords Dance/Substitute/fighting attack
Quick Attack (you did breed this on, did you?)
Earthquake

He's got Feint, Quick Attack and Close Combat. Why Return?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

I'd guess a big, meaty STAB attack when you don't need priority. Mega Pinsir's ability turns all Normal-typed attacks into Flying-type.

BattleCake
Mar 12, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

199 BP (I think) due to STAB and Aerilate STAB bonus.

e:f;b

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

novaSphere posted:

I'd guess a big, meaty STAB attack when you don't need priority. Mega Pinsir's ability turns all Normal-typed attacks into Flying-type.

Don't I have to make him love me for that to make sense?

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Yup. Better start poking his belly and stuffing macaroons down his throat. :getin:

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Don't I have to make him love me for that to make sense?

So spend ten minutes increasing his friendship.

Or shove him full of herbs and teach him Frustration. I mean look at his face, that is not the face of a creature that can ever know happiness.

e: Amie affection has nothing to do with happiness and therefore nothing to do with Return's power. You have to increase that the old fashioned way.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Quick Attack, Swords Dance, Return, and Earthquake is undoubtedly the best Mega Pinsir set. Unless you are doing Doubles, in which case Feint is probably a decent choice. But Return does an absurd amount of damage thanks to Aerialte. It, along with STAB, doubles its base power. I can't really stress enough the fact that after a Swords Dance, Return will OHKO everything that doesn't resist it, with very little exception. Close Combat is generally worse than Earthquake coverage-wise, plus it makes you weaker to physical priority moves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Pokemon-Amie doesn't increase friendship, confusingly. The affection stat listed there is entirely separate, and they have different benefits.

• Locked thread