Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
Can someone post me the Game of Thrones cross over? I was like halfway through and I can't find it now :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead Psychiatry
Dec 22, 2004

I wonder if a soldier ever does mend a bullet hole in his coat?

Waroduce posted:

Can someone post me the Game of Thrones cross over? I was like halfway through and I can't find it now :/

Was having trouble loading it for some reason so dunno if it's on mine or the links end. But here ya go.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw4Dk9xE9da9Mk9Gd2FGQllGUEE/edit

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Lead Psychiatry posted:

Was having trouble loading it for some reason so dunno if it's on mine or the links end. But here ya go.
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bw4Dk9xE9da9Mk9Gd2FGQllGUEE/edit

thanks bro

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 16 hours!

VanSandman posted:

I am stupidly excited for Master of Mankind and The Talons of Horus. When ADB splits from GW it will be a sad day. He's writing literature in the form of pew-pew space mans sci-fi, and you can tell some of the others are upping their game to keep up.

I'm really curious both regarding his coming books ans what kind of stuff he'd write in a post-GW phase.

The ending of Void Stalker was what really marked how above he can get from most other BL authors. I don't remember another conclusion making me go "Oh -hell- no" and "Holy poo poo -yes-!" at the same time.

But I feel bad that Coreth and Eudydice lost their baby to Variel in the end. Guess I'm too soft-hearted to be a heretic after all.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop
I was looking around and saw this linked, i can't find the original source (since it seems to have disappeared), but apparently ADB wrote this:

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dude,_Where%27s_my_Land_Speeder%3F

quote:

Abaddon pimp-walked from the room, strutting like he owned the place.

I wonder if ADB ever wrote fanfiction, if so i want to read it.

:allears:

UberJumper fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 6, 2013

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

VanSandman posted:

I am stupidly excited for Master of Mankind and The Talons of Horus. When ADB splits from GW it will be a sad day. He's writing literature in the form of pew-pew space mans sci-fi, and you can tell some of the others are upping their game to keep up.

I know Abnett does stuff outside of GW and as much as I love reading ADB's books, it seems like he's just wasting his potential writing fanfiction when he clearly has the talent and skills to do so much more.

Daeren
Aug 18, 2009

YER MUSTACHE IS CROOKED

Kegslayer posted:

I know Abnett does stuff outside of GW and as much as I love reading ADB's books, it seems like he's just wasting his potential writing fanfiction when he clearly has the talent and skills to do so much more.

He's made a blog post about the idea that he's "wasting talent" on stuff like 40k novels is ridiculous to him, because he does it because he enjoys doing it and rankles at the idea that you can't write well if you're writing genre fiction. Damned if I can find it though.

Shadowhand00
Jan 23, 2006

Golden Bear is ever watching; day by day he prowls, and when he hears the tread of lowly Stanfurd red,from his Lair he fiercely growls.
Toilet Rascal

UberJumper posted:

I was looking around and saw this linked, i can't find the original source (since it seems to have disappeared), but apparently ADB wrote this:

http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Dude,_Where%27s_my_Land_Speeder%3F

I wonder if ADB ever wrote fanfiction, if so i want to read it.

:allears:

His FB post from yesterday:

I'm hoping Talon of Horus is similar in both style and substance to Dude, where's my Land Speeder.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...
Holy moley, Pariah is good. It's really sweet how Abnett uses our assumptions to toy with us obviously, this can't be the Alizebeth Bequin from the original books, but it's easy to accept it until the book throws us for a loop. and creates a far more interesting story than the standard Imperium vs Chaos with Ravenor (with the Imperium's support?) vs Eisenhorn + (possibly loyalist?) Alpha Legion vs Word Bearers + corrupted Ecclesiarchy vs Emperor's Children + Glaw with Cognitae lurking in the mix and Beta and Lightburn not really a part of any group.

Random cool stuff: +Patience, patience, patience+ and the Alpha Legion hiding in plain sight textually.

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:
I too am really looking forward to Master of Mankind, but at the same time I'm not expecting any kind of explanation or theory into how he hosed up so badly. How can something that sure as hell is not human understand the flaws of humanity? The current status quo when it comes to the primarchs (at least in this thead) is that he couldn't wrap his head around humans after 40k years and was a terrible father.

If you sire'd 20 beings from your own genetic material and you were the most kickin' rad being in the universe you wouldn't expect them to be remotely human, you wouldn't expect them to have remotely human characteristics, virtues, or flaws. It's what makes chaos' plan so fantastically apt, it wasn't looking to try and separate the primarchs from the Emperor permanently. The plan was to separate them long enough to make the Primarchs human and all the associated flaws that go with it.

You've got primarchs who had an upbringing that left them practically identical to how they would have been, if they'd never been removed from the emperor's side. You've got primarchs who've seen the very worst of humanity, be it due to humans being colossal dicks or simply due to the environment the humans had to deal with (death worlds and the like). Then primarchs who saw the middle ground the worst and the best of humanity. In the end it's not their nature that was the downfall on the whole primarch lineage but the fact that they matured under the guidance of humanity.

If there's one constant in the HH series it's not "the big E is an idiot" or "horus was a spoilt child/arrogant dick" it's "you know what? gently caress humanity forever"

Even with that in mind it's not quite so easy to categorize how the primarchs turned out relative to their upbringing. You could say the loyalists had ideal upbringings (dorn, guilliman), but then so did the likes of fulgrim and magnus. You can say some of the traitors had terrible upbringings like angron/kurze but then so did corax/lion.

Although blame can be laid at the Emperor's door for the heresy, I'd say it was the fact that chaos scattered the primarchs across the galaxy and allowed humanity to get their filthy mitts on them that really kicked the whole thing off. The big E treated all of them with the presumption that they were exactly like him in psyche and pragmatism (they were genetically like him, why not psychologically?). He didn't expect humanity to rub off on them quite so much.

Maybe. gently caress if I know

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax

rocket_Magnet posted:

I too am really looking forward to Master of Mankind, but at the same time I'm not expecting any kind of explanation or theory into how he hosed up so badly. How can something that sure as hell is not human understand the flaws of humanity? The current status quo when it comes to the primarchs (at least in this thead) is that he couldn't wrap his head around humans after 40k years and was a terrible father.

We know amoebas and fruit flies a hell of a lot better than they know themselves, and people in this thread also like parroting such insightful notions as "Guilliman is OCD" and "The Lion is autistic".

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

rocket_Magnet posted:

Or it could be everything is going according to the big E's plans. He looked at the threads of the future, and realized no matter what he did humanity was hosed. So he simply picked the best course that would allow humanity to live a little bit longer. With the chance/hope that maybe somehow much further down the line humanity would figure out a way to fix itself.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

dongsbot 9000 posted:

Holy moley, Pariah is good. It's really sweet how Abnett uses our assumptions to toy with us obviously, this can't be the Alizebeth Bequin from the original books, but it's easy to accept it until the book throws us for a loop. and creates a far more interesting story than the standard Imperium vs Chaos with Ravenor (with the Imperium's support?) vs Eisenhorn + (possibly loyalist?) Alpha Legion vs Word Bearers + corrupted Ecclesiarchy vs Emperor's Children + Glaw with Cognitae lurking in the mix and Beta and Lightburn not really a part of any group.

Random cool stuff: +Patience, patience, patience+ and the Alpha Legion hiding in plain sight textually.

I'm really hoping for a lot of extra info on Alpha Legion and how they fit into all this, how did Eisenhorn end up shacking with them?

Kegslayer
Jul 23, 2007

UberJumper posted:

Or it could be everything is going according to the big E's plans. He looked at the threads of the future, and realized no matter what he did humanity was hosed. So he simply picked the best course that would allow humanity to live a little bit longer. With the chance/hope that maybe somehow much further down the line humanity would figure out a way to fix itself.

That's a line of thought we haven't really covered before. Perhaps a united and enlightened humanity would just end up causing a bigger Age of Strife that would have resulted in the death of humanity permanently. Can't wait til ADB's book comes out.

UberJumper
May 20, 2007
woop

Kegslayer posted:

That's a line of thought we haven't really covered before. Perhaps a united and enlightened humanity would just end up causing a bigger Age of Strife that would have resulted in the death of humanity permanently. Can't wait til ADB's book comes out.

I just really hope the reason for everything is something more than "The Emperor was a lovely father, and failed to understand people".

I am curious has there been anything about what the Eldar thought of the Emperor trying to gain access to the Eldar webway?

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
I really hope the book doesn't answer a thing.

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!

Cream_Filling posted:

I really hope the book doesn't answer a thing.

I don't think it will "answer" anything so much as give insight to the character, his perspective, motivations, and beliefs that let us understand things better.

Like, we won't get "This is why I screwed over Angron" or "This is how I made the Primarchs" but we will learn more about what he is trying for and why and it will cast things we previously learned in a different light

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Fried Chicken posted:

I don't think it will "answer" anything so much as give insight to the character, his perspective, motivations, and beliefs that let us understand things better.

Like, we won't get "This is why I screwed over Angron" or "This is how I made the Primarchs" but we will learn more about what he is trying for and why and it will cast things we previously learned in a different light

Yeah, I hope none of this happens.

I prefer him as a cipher that reflects the beliefs and prejudices of others, much as he functions in this thread.

OXBALLS DOT COM fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 7, 2013

Nephilm
Jun 11, 2009

by Lowtax
I don't, because people unironically calling several of the mayor players in the 40k setting as having autism or OCD frankly makes me want to strangle someone. It stopped for Guilliman when people got around to reading Know No Fear, which did a great job of portraying him as a larger-than-life character and the Ultramarines as something great in a fashion that successfully suspends disbelief.

On a similar note, Abnett gave the treatment to Russ and the Space Wolves, and I'll much rather have what he gave us than some vague heavy metal viking space furry poo poo that is only awesome if you revert to a 12yo mentality.

I want that for the Emperor; I'm confident ADB can do it.

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

I don't want him to come out and say "This is why the Emperor did this", but I would like some background and some context for some of the Emperor's more egregiously 'bad' decisions(Angron, Monarchia).

I like the Emperor having some mystery to him, but I don't like that mystery being "If the Emperor is so loving smart, why are all his decisions so loving dumb?"

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Am I going to hate myself if I read Pariah before Ravenor?

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Vanadium posted:

Yes

Fellblade
Apr 28, 2009

Vanadium posted:

Literally no point in doing this since Pariah is just a big build up to books that aren't out yet and Ravenor is a full series with conclusion.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Vanadium posted:

Seriously, don't do this.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

rocket_Magnet posted:

The big E treated all of them with the presumption that they were exactly like him in psyche and pragmatism (they were genetically like him, why not psychologically?).

I think this is a bit too simplistic even for the 'E is a dumbass' party. He's the apex of human wisdom and knowledge and he wasn't aware of the role of environment in personality and mental development? Purely genetic explanations for personality have been debunked in our time, I'm pretty sure (then again, as I've mentioned, we've also pretty well debunked the notion that you can stop people from wanting to do cool things by keeping them in ignorance and/or shouting "NO BAD" whenever it comes up).

But this makes me wonder--how relevant is the Emperor's physical DNA, really? If we're going with the 'old Emperor' premise, then his awesomeness is mainly a function of the fact that he's a voltron of ancient shaman ghosts, and the physical bodies he ensouls himself in seem to vary wildly--as they should, being largely irrelevant. The Emperor in 30K seems to be described as pretty good looking (probably augmented since birth) but not as physically imposing as the Primarchs that were engineered from the test tube to be genetic supermen.

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang
The Emperor of 30k is most likely an average looking dude just like all the other perpetuals, but hides it behind psychic illusions and fancy displacer technology. Corvus actually sees the real Emperor for a few seconds, but then his brain finally accepts the illusionary version. Like the book actually says that. It says that his primarch brain tries to reject the "glamour" for a few seconds but gives up.

The other Perpetuals also hung out with him without going blind, so most of the shiny halos and poo poo are likely illusions.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Personal dumb theory with no text support: Malcador is what happened when the Emperor attempted to clone himself the first time.
Also I really like the idea that the Emperor is a regular looking dude with holograms and ridiculous psychic power. Do we have any evidence that the Emperor fights with his hands at all, ever?

Fried Chicken
Jan 9, 2011

Don't fry me, I'm no chicken!
So not strictly 40K but...

ADB has mentioned in blogposts about trying to channel Bernard Cornwell's Warlord Chronicles in his writing, and particularly in the Talon of Horus series he has been working on. So I started reading them. I'm about halfway through the first book, but I definitely see what he is going for in drawing from that. ADB's syntax and dialogue are different, but the basic themes undergirding it are the same.

* How love, camaraderie, and brotherhood can be as corrupting and destructive as good and creative, how the troubles involved make the characters more well rounded and how those emotions reveal the strengths and weaknesses of the characters.

* Monotheism vs paganism both inside the religion and between them. The way competing ideological factions within the religions are tearing countries apart, that is big in ADB's writing as well, with the various chaos gods going at each other, and how factions view the emperor on the Imperial side.

* Might vs Right and framing that in a knight vs a warrior - that one fights for a cause (peace, justice, truth) and one fights for personal gain ("If you’re a warrior and you want a man's daughter you take her; you want his land, you kill him; after all you’re a soldier…and he's just a poor weak man" ), that's something that again pops up in ADBs writing (Talos being the knight, Huron Blackheart being the Warrior)

* Casual background of violence from the distinct social classes, you see a mirror of that when we see any civilian life in ADBs stuff. Life is cheap, and ends up being nasty, brutish, and short.

* The bloodthirsty and brutal natures of the rituals, that shines through - some of this stuff could be dropped into 40k with a word replace, like stabbing a slave in the gut, having him stumble around bleeding out, and reading the blood spatters to tell the future. I realize both draw on the same ancient rituals for inspiration so they will be the same in action when a random 40K writer pens such a scene, but the descriptions of the events (pacing, sentence structure, etc) and how they are used thematically is really similar to how he does it.

* How magic is handled - searching for ancient artifacts and knowledge, sacrafices to gain it, use of trickery and force to get people to obey the gods, it not always being reliable... lot of similarities there.

ANyway, just thought it was cool

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009

VanSandman posted:

Personal dumb theory with no text support: Malcador is what happened when the Emperor attempted to clone himself the first time.
Also I really like the idea that the Emperor is a regular looking dude with holograms and ridiculous psychic power. Do we have any evidence that the Emperor fights with his hands at all, ever?

The books that cover the battle at Ullanor all say that he and Horus "fought back-to-back" in the thickest parts of the fight and that they tag-teamed the warboss in hand-to-hand combat, leading to the Emperor getting choked out by said warboss. There was also something in the Collected Visions book where he and a ridiculous amount of custodians teleported into the middle of an Ork horde to bail out Horus or Dorn, I forget which.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

handbanana125 posted:

The books that cover the battle at Ullanor all say that he and Horus "fought back-to-back" in the thickest parts of the fight and that they tag-teamed the warboss in hand-to-hand combat, leading to the Emperor getting choked out by said warboss. There was also something in the Collected Visions book where he and a ridiculous amount of custodians teleported into the middle of an Ork horde to bail out Horus or Dorn, I forget which.

I think he's also wearing a priceless suit of power armor and carrying a massive flaming sword, etc.

He also punches Leman Russ so hard it knocks him out, but then he's secretly wearing a power fist.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

The emperor could be quite physically potent via aftermarket augments and the like--my point was more that since he wasn't around to genetically engineer himself, there's no reason to necessarily think that he would be superhuman at the genetic level, though depending on how exactly he gets himself born, he might be able to have his pick of the fetuses that are "in the queue" at any point in time.

Then, if that premise holds up, my next query would be whether there's any non-symbolic reason to genetically base the Primarchs on himself to any significant degree, rather than just creating a bespoke genome for them. It would actually be appropriate for that to be a myth created to increase the mystique of the Primarchs' creation, though for all I know this possibility has already been flatly denied by a line in the books somewhere.

The Rat
Aug 29, 2004

You will find no one to help you here. Beth DuClare has been dissected and placed in cryonic storage.

Fried Chicken posted:

Stuff about the Warlord Chronicles

Thanks for the recommendation, I will put this on my reading list. :tipshat:

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JerryLee posted:

The emperor could be quite physically potent via aftermarket augments and the like--my point was more that since he wasn't around to genetically engineer himself, there's no reason to necessarily think that he would be superhuman at the genetic level, though depending on how exactly he gets himself born, he might be able to have his pick of the fetuses that are "in the queue" at any point in time.

Then, if that premise holds up, my next query would be whether there's any non-symbolic reason to genetically base the Primarchs on himself to any significant degree, rather than just creating a bespoke genome for them. It would actually be appropriate for that to be a myth created to increase the mystique of the Primarchs' creation, though for all I know this possibility has already been flatly denied by a line in the books somewhere.

It's said that he made a bespoke genome for them. "From the emperor" is a highly ambiguous statement and can mean a whole lot of thigns considering the emperor was the inventor and guiding force behind the primarch project. Just like phrases like "son of god" are highly ambiguous statements (i.e. if god created everything then isn't everyone a son of god, etc.).

Of course it's also possible that the nascent emperor was so psychically powerful that his mind/soul could influence his physical form even during development. Or that he has no set physical form at all but it's in fact malleable because he's so strongly tied to the warp, a setup that's vaguely alluded to in reference to some of the primarchs as well.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

Cream_Filling posted:

It's said that he made a bespoke genome for them. "From the emperor" is a highly ambiguous statement and can mean a whole lot of thigns considering the emperor was the inventor and guiding force behind the primarch project. Just like phrases like "son of god" are highly ambiguous statements (i.e. if god created everything then isn't everyone a son of god, etc.).

Well, obviously there was some genetic work done to customize them; the question is to what degree them being based on the Emperor is literal. It sounds like the interpretation you propose is pretty much in line with what I was thinking.

Part of the problem is that we have no idea how rigorous the 40K setting is trying to be in regards to actual science things like genetics--probably the answer is "not very," but then we have to ask what the point is of a line of thinking like rocket_Magnet's original post where they try to read stuff into the Primarchs' presumed (by r_M) genetic descent from the Emperor.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

JerryLee posted:

Well, obviously there was some genetic work done to customize them; the question is to what degree them being based on the Emperor is literal. It sounds like the interpretation you propose is pretty much in line with what I was thinking.

Part of the problem is that we have no idea how rigorous the 40K setting is trying to be in regards to actual science things like genetics--probably the answer is "not very," but then we have to ask what the point is of a line of thinking like rocket_Magnet's original post where they try to read stuff into the Primarchs' presumed (by r_M) genetic descent from the Emperor.

I think the answer is that it's a bad line of thinking.

Vanadium
Jan 8, 2005

Fellblade posted:

Literally no point in doing this since Pariah is just a big build up to books that aren't out yet and Ravenor is a full series with conclusion.

Welp, okay. Wasn't sure I want to ~commit~ to reading another full series, but I guess Abnett doesn't really deal in books that stand on their own at all.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Dunno, I though the book was fine on its own.

Hot Dog Day #82
Jul 5, 2003

Soiled Meat

Vanadium posted:

Welp, okay. Wasn't sure I want to ~commit~ to reading another full series, but I guess Abnett doesn't really deal in books that stand on their own at all.

If you want stand alone Abnett you can always try Titanicus or Double Eagle - both books being a glimpse of different theatres of the Sabbat Crusade (with one focusing on Titans and the other on an aerial campaign). They aren't that bad!

Khizan
Jul 30, 2013

Titanicus is easily the best book about the Adeptus Mechanicus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aries
Jun 6, 2006
Computer says no.

Cream_Filling posted:

Of course it's also possible that the nascent emperor was so psychically powerful that his mind/soul could influence his physical form even during development.

I might be wrong, but I'm quite sure this has precedent in the books where Magnus details his awareness of coming into being, so it's a viable enough theory if we upscale to the Emperor.