Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out
Ok for applying paint and primes to Bones minis:

Acrylic based spray is the only thing you can use without doing damage to the surface of the Bones material. The solvents and propellant in acrylic colour and primer sprays is obviously designed not to destroy acrylic, and is safe to apply to the Bones minis.

Other sprays tend to be enamel or a mix, and the propellant and solvents in them a bit harsher. When applied to most surfaces (like on plastic and resin minis) the nasty stuff in it both doesnt react with the surfaces and evaporates to give the dry primer surface. On Bones it starts to eat the surface and react, which causes the tackiness and horrible texture to form.

Find any acrylic based primer/paint and give it a go. The primer should be touch dry, and non-tacky, within 15-20 minutes.

Whoo buying hundreds of army painter sprays!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
Shouldn't vallejo surface primer work then? The only propellant is the air from your compressor.

MisterG
Oct 15, 2013

Manifest posted:

Shouldn't vallejo surface primer work then? The only propellant is the air from your compressor.

Yes.

Color me mis-informed about Vallejo primer. Since Tamiya is a spray bottle, I assumed the Vallejo was a spray bottle. If Vallejo surface primer is a brush on primer AND acrylic, I see no reason that it should be problematic on Reaper Bones figures. Every brush on primer that I've airbrushed has been all-plastic safe.

Water based and brush-on applied via airbrush should = 100% safe.

Lethemonster
Aug 5, 2009

I was hiding under your bench because I don't want to work out

Manifest posted:

Yes. Some brush on primers are enamel though, but vallejos is PU and safe on Bones.

But for people without airbrushes just check the ingredients label. For UK people the Halfords primers I have are also safe.

In other news: It's been a week and I'm still removing mold lines from Kaladrax. :psyduck:

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
Here is how dark my Ultramarines ended up being. Its growing on me a bit since the group I'm playing with is doing a planetary campaign on an endlessly raining planet. So the darkness goes with the plague green and mud bases I'm doing. Is there any advice I can get about placing the dead grass for the bases? I understand the directions but it never seems to look as good as other people's. Thanks

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
I've experienced tackiness problems with my usual spray primer on Bones (an acrylic-based spray), so last time, I did it without priming at all (painted with a basecoat of a mix of mournfang brown, abaddon black and ceramite white) and it worked out just fine.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=291032842373&fromMakeTrack=true&ssPageName=VIP:watchlink:top:en

So I found a really interesting headswap option on Ebay that I kinda want because they look surprisingly good, especially the two(?) female heads look pretty okay and not horribly mangled as I've seen elsewhere but I have no idea if they would even fit that well on IG models.
Nobody wouldn't have have happened to buy these before or not do they? Trying to google anything in relation to their name comes up with nothing pretty much.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...
Cross-posting from the TG Kickstarter thread as its relevant.

So, FedEx tried to deliver my Deadzone stuff to the wrong address, now I have to go to the distribution site to pick it up in an hour or so.

However I got my Basius, and Happy Seppuku baseing imprint molds last week, and took some pictures!

Basius, I was kinda surprised that they cast them in straight up resin, its kinda nice though as they shouldn't ever wear out.

Happy Seppuku, lots of detail, I look forward to testing them out.

Between the two sets I should never have to buy another pre-detailed base again.

Antifa Spacemarine
Jan 11, 2011

Tzeentch can suck it.

LumberingTroll posted:

So, FedEx tried to deliver my Deadzone stuff to the wrong address, now I have to go to the distribution site to pick it up in an hour or so.

However I got my Basius, and Happy Seppuku baseing imprint molds last week, and took some pictures!

Basius, I was kinda surprised that they cast them in straight up resin, its kinda nice though as they shouldn't ever wear out.

Are these things finally for sale outside of the kickstarter?

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Has anybody ever tried doing a water marble paint job like this on something like IG vehicles? It seems really easy and incredibly fast to do (in theory) and could produce great "gaming" camouflage patterns if you picked the right colors.

Pokemaster #421
Jul 14, 2005

For a swift one at the wrist, down on the old main drag.
So after a few years hiatus from painting this thread has drawn me back in. Figured I'd keep chomping away at my WoC, so I scampered off a picked up a fresh box of skull crusher little mans. Now, given that it's ungodly cold outside, I can't spray prime (don't have the indoor set up) so I grabbed a bottle of brush on primer. Think it's called Imperial Primer. Does anyone have any experience with this stuff? It seems like it's really thin and after brushing on a coat it pools in the recesses, very similar to a wash. The consistency is almost the same too. Do I need to hit it with multiple coats or should just a thin layer of this stuff be enough to just paint over it? I'm doing a white (oh God why) and red/green/purple depending on the god color scheme so if I can get away with just a thin layer of black primer I'll be super happy.

As a matter of fact, it looks like all the paints have changed pretty dramatically since my last dalliance into warhams. Are the base coats designed to be good right out of the pot? They seem really thin while the layer paints seem to be a tad thicker. Sorry if there is somewhere that lays this all out and I missed it. Any info would be greatly appreciated! Also, it's absolutely amazing how good some of you people are. Thank you for the inspiration to pick up the brush again!

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
After enough nagging I finished my wife's Ultramarine. Traded a Melta bit at my local hobby shop for a female marine model. Shes happy with it.

Still need to paint the severed Chaos Marines head and lay down some dead grass. I'm happy with it though. Going to have the severed head in a pool of blood. Going to be metal as gently caress.

Ripley
Jan 21, 2007

Shaman Ooglaboogla posted:

Are these things finally for sale outside of the kickstarter?

The Basius pads are supposed to go on sale early next year once all the pledges have been fulfilled, I think, at Zinge Industries.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

LumberingTroll posted:

Between the two sets I should never have to buy another pre-detailed base again.

Awesome, any chance of you doing a demo/step by step on one? Can't wait for mine to arrive.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
Lumbering Troll - I'd love your thoughts on the ideal putty to use with the basius pads, as green stuff is expensive and I would imagine too stiff.

Also on techniques to use 'em!

(I ordered loads of the things that haven't arrived yet)

Iris of Ether
Sep 29, 2005

Valkyrie is not amused
I'm participating in the Games forum's annual Steam holiday contest thread, and today's challenge is to make a video-game-themed stocking stuffer. Since I've been OD'ing on Final Fantasy lately, I thought it'd be a great opportunity to break out the Sculpey and make the most adorably ugly thing in the game: a goobbue.

I didn't wake up this morning thinking I'd end the day sculpting moobs and 55-year-old man-rear end on a figure, but here we are.

I'll spend tomorrow painting this thing. There's a day and a half left on this challenge if anyone wants to join us! :D

Deanut Pancer
Nov 24, 2012

Pacheeco posted:

Has anybody ever tried doing a water marble paint job like this on something like IG vehicles? It seems really easy and incredibly fast to do (in theory) and could produce great "gaming" camouflage patterns if you picked the right colors.
Here's a basing tutorial that does that effect, using nail polish:
http://www.miniwargaming.com/content/minigirl-23-how-liquid-your-mini-basestutorial-toxic-lava-water-camo-marble-effects

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

That's great! I'm going to try this out on one of my friends Chimeras in a week two doing a water camo pattern. I just have to find the correct paints.

Monster w21 Faces
May 11, 2006

"What the fuck is that?"
"What the fuck is this?!"
Anyone know where I can get a bunch of those awesome Warmachine style bases in the UK?

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Anyone have some good tips for painting the white scars symbol freehand?

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Could any of you 40k guys help me identify this model? A friend received it in a Secret Santa/Painting Contest (we're all painting someone else's submitted mini anonymously) and he's trying to get some reference info for the character, but there's a ton of Space Marine stuff out there to wade through so we're coming up short.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Google 'devastator marine sergeant'. That's about as close as anything I find.

http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?prodId=prod1060104

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
Generic Devastator Sargent.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
Thanks guys, you're both awesome.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
Chaos dwarfs unit fillers

Chance II
Aug 6, 2009

Would you like a
second chance?

I tried out GWs Mourn Mountain Snow on the these Still-being-painted Ogryn and I like the results. The texture paint was real easy to just spread on a a lot better than my old baking soda+glue+white paint method.

And here are some Valhallans they'll be joining.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Monster w21 Faces posted:

Anyone know where I can get a bunch of those awesome Warmachine style bases in the UK?

You mean the lipped ones? EBay and/or every other online store should stock them. They come in 30mm / 40mm / 50mm, just Google for lipped bases.

Wyrd miniatures do a range of transparent coloured ones if you want to do something funky with them.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid
K'daai Fireborn

WhiteOutMouse
Jul 29, 2010

:wom: will blow your mind.
Wow, I really like those heads on the crusher bodies. Cool.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
I didn't know this until I went to a show today but Vallejo have released a new formulation airbrush thinner. It's clear and apparently it doesn't have the propensity to clog your brush with little balls of crap like the older thinner.

Serotonin
Jul 14, 2001

The history of all hitherto existing society is the history of *blank*

Rapey Joe Stalin posted:

I didn't know this until I went to a show today but Vallejo have released a new formulation airbrush thinner. It's clear and apparently it doesn't have the propensity to clog your brush with little balls of crap like the older thinner.

Yeah its been out a while. I had some of the old stuff, ordered some more and the new formula turned up instead. Seems to work fine from what Ive tried so far.

Bachtere
Sep 25, 2005

09/13/07

Never Forget

Pillbug
Selling some stuff over in the SA Mart: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3592888

Two large Infinity lots (Combined Army and PanOceania), a bunch of WFB plastic sets, and Super Dungeon Explore.

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo
The last week was pretty lame. My heater was not cycling and it turns out the pump casing was cracked. The vacuum to pull the water out of the lines was pulling air, instead, through the crack.

I was considering using epoxy as a temporary fix until I can get the pump replaced but the my milliput black was actually on hand. Sitting in front of my heater I was going over the text on the back I never read and I was just flippin' amazed. Sets under water AND can withstand temperatures up to 130 degrees CELSIUS? Why does modelling putty have to set under water and be able to handle high heat; both the exact requirements for the type of repair I was making.

Did not realize Milliput's origins until a goon told me that milliput was actually made for the type of repairs I was doing or somewhat along those lines.

Then I looked at my Simple Green (used as paint remover), my floor polish (for airbrush gloss coats), and my pinning supplies (ie paper clips) and thought people that assemble and paint miniature do really bodge together the most ridiculous solutions (solutions that work as good or better than products dedicated to the task)

Crab-Stuffed
Jul 24, 2006

Pacheeco posted:

There was a pretty cool "Renaissance-themed" Space Marine army awhile back that used a Marble theme:

http://www.toycutter.com/2010/08/warhammer-40k-renaisance-themed-space.html

enri
Dec 16, 2003

EVIR Gibson posted:

Then I looked at my Simple Green (used as paint remover), my floor polish (for airbrush gloss coats), and my pinning supplies (ie paper clips) and thought people that assemble and paint miniature do really bodge together the most ridiculous solutions (solutions that work as good or better than products dedicated to the task)

'green stuff' (aka kneadatite) is otherwise known as plumber's putty ;)

My hobby skills came to the rescue this weekend, wife had ordered a hand crafted christmas sign thingymajiggy and it got broke in the post on its way here.. I'm all "yea I can pin that back together" and the wife is all like "...do what?"

Pinned, glued, fixed :smug:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

enri posted:

'green stuff' (aka kneadatite) is otherwise known as plumber's putty ;)

Are you sure about that? 'Cause a quick google for plumber's putty seems to show me a lot of regular drying putties rather than 2-part epoxy putties. Quite possibly still useful for modeling, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't seem to be the same stuff and it seems like that could trip you up in certain applications.

enri
Dec 16, 2003

JerryLee posted:

Are you sure about that? 'Cause a quick google for plumber's putty seems to show me a lot of regular drying putties rather than 2-part epoxy putties. Quite possibly still useful for modeling, don't get me wrong, but it doesn't seem to be the same stuff and it seems like that could trip you up in certain applications.

Sorry, should have been clearer, I can't give you any references, but I can cast my mind waaay back to the dark days of white dwarf, an interview with one of the GW sculptors and a reference that green stuff was originally a product made for plumbers to fix leaky pipes with known as kneadatite, if we're talking brand names and all that jazz.

Didn't even realise there was pre-mixed puttys available for leaky pipes :shobon:

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!
Ah, so you meant Kneadatite was originally a plumber's putty. That makes sense. No worries :tipshat:

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Got the first part of my Christmas project done.

Now I have to get working on the Krampus mini so naughty little boy and girl minis have something to fear come the Yule! :black101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

It's been a long time since I painted, and now it's cold outside so I have less I'd rather be doing. Did a fighter and a few geeks this weekend:

• Locked thread