Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

fballnlife91 posted:

I would agree with you if this wasn't the first time it happened, and in the precincts district that we've seen for 2+ years. I'm not complaining about minorities being in the show it's just strange that almost all of the victims were Hispanic.
I chock that up to urban landscapes. You're more likely to find belief in traditional folklore among folks of low socioeconomic status (SES) and low-SES minorities tend to live in minority communities.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schneeble
May 4, 2010

The grandest hats
or GTFO.

zamiel posted:

Talking about the last/near last shot where the dude steals the purse from old lady/Cucuy, not that one.

Was the purse snatching even in the same city? I got the sense that Cucuy moved on to wherever she heard the next call, and the first thing that happened to her when she got there was somebody stole her purse and so she did vigilante murders.

As far as Nick & co. knew she was only killing violent criminals in Portland before she left them for parts on known. Whether she killed a purse snatcher in Seattle afterwards or whatever is totally irrelevant to Nick's judgement of her.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

fballnlife91 posted:

I would agree with you if this wasn't the first time it happened, and in the precincts district that we've seen for 2+ years. I'm not complaining about minorities being in the show it's just strange that almost all of the victims were Hispanic.

The La Dorada episode also had primarily hispanic victims, iirc. The latina grandma's English accent was driving me insane, though, during this episode. I'm kind of wondering if their hispanic centric episodes are going to strike me as compassionate racism if, in 20 years, I decide to watch Grimm again. It was hilarious to watch the old "Beauty and the Beast" whenever they tried for episodes based around specific cultures.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Krampus is gonna be on Grimm!!!

http://www.tvguide.com/News/First-Look-Grimm-Tidings-1074086.aspx

hangedman1984 fucked around with this message at 18:13 on Dec 3, 2013

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

Schneeble posted:

Was the purse snatching even in the same city?

Well, ten seconds before the purse snatching was a long shot of what looked like the Seattle Space Needle, so..

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
And it seems like on the 13th we get two episodes back-to-back! Awesome!

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe
Basically I want an entire episode of nothing but that dinner scene with the gang.

Is that too much to ask?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
I love that the show has developed to the point where we have a big group get together for dinner, pass around crime scene photos and brainstorm about what killed them. I also love that no one's squeamish about looking at gory photos over dinner.

Nice subversion with the Old lady being the monster instead of pro criminal dog guy or PTSD marine kid. I agree that Nick should have done something, but the team's reactions were amazing.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Some Numbers posted:

I love that the show has developed to the point where we have a big group get together for dinner, pass around crime scene photos and brainstorm about what killed them. I also love that no one's squeamish about looking at gory photos over dinner.
Just don't confuse "victim" with "prey".

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

quote:

Nice subversion with the Old lady being the monster instead of pro criminal dog guy or PTSD marine kid. I agree that Nick should have done something, but the team's reactions were amazing.

The thing is that there was nothing Nick could do without becoming a murdering vigilante himself. And it just wasn't in him to do that in order to prevent the potential future deaths of, well, criminal scumbags. Personally, I'd be inclined to buy El Cucuy a ticket to New York and a map to Wall Street.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
Tonight's episode:

3x06 – “Stories We Tell Our Young”
Nick suspects a Wesen link when a priest is brutally murdered during an exorcism.

ETB
Nov 8, 2009

Yeah, I'm that guy.
Did anyone else notice the apartment number of the old lady happened to be the season and episode number? Cute.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Hmmm...I wonder what's got Renard on the run....

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I bet Danny is adopted.

EDIT: Okay, I was wrong. Credit to Nick for making that his very first question, though.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Dec 7, 2013

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Or mom's wesen....

legoman727
Mar 13, 2010

by exmarx
He's totally a changeling, calling it now.

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Definitely gonna be looking up that vocab later....

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

The doctors didn't run tests, said it was the flu (which is a virus), and treated him with antibiotics, which does gently caress-all for viruses. I think they may have gone to a bad doctor.

Also, I think Juliet somehow got infected based on the shoe thing. Protozoa makes sense. Isn't toxoplasmosis a Protozoa? Juliet would likely know all about that.

Edit: Yes it is. It makes mice wanna hang out around cat urine.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toxoplasmosis

There's a theory that many people with schizophrenia have at one time been infected by toxoplasmosis gondii, backed up by the data that the patients often carry the antibodies for toxoplasmosis.

Edit2: it looks like they do use antibiotics to treat T. Gondii. Although I haven't looked up all of the drug combos to see if they're all antibiotics I don't think we had any cases when I worked at the vet, since cats usually get over it without any problem. Ahahaha, he's gonna be hypothermic and it will kill the protozoan use to the low body temperature.

Bored fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 7, 2013

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Oh god you're right....the comatose are at risk for infection anyway, aren't they? And she came out of it, what, a month, two ago?

Edit: EW!!!!!!!!!!

Astrofig fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 7, 2013

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

I heard Wesley! :neckbeard:

Only Buffy/Angel fans will have any clue what the gently caress I'm talking about.

Edit: It'd be cool if they could save some specimens of the microbe to find out what drug treatment would be effective.

Also Krampus!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0219206/
Sorry, I only remember that his real name is Alexis Denisof when I read it. Other than that, I just know him as Wesley. He hasn't been in anything else that I've seen aside from Buffy/Angel. He's so handsome, though.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Bored fucked around with this message at 04:08 on Dec 7, 2013

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
Look, look, he's adding an entry!!!

Also, who's Wesley?

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Next week's episode looks interesting.

It was good to see Nick making an entry. I imagine that he's probably done that a lot, we just don't usually see it because, well, it's recapping information they just showed us in the episode. Like 90% of the Season 2 deleted scenes were to convey information that ended up being conveyed in the episode in another scene more efficiently.

Bored posted:

Also, I think Juliet somehow got infected based on the shoe thing. Protozoa makes sense. Isn't toxoplasmosis a Protozoa? Juliet would likely know all about that.

Given how rare the parasitic infection apparently is, I doubt it's THAT contagious. I'm pretty sure they've done the Juliet is sick thing plenty. It was called "Season 2". I'll grant you that I might have missed the episode where she told Nick "I'm just going to pop over to Jordan for a swim, back in a couple days!"

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Given how rare the parasitic infection apparently is, I doubt it's THAT contagious. I'm pretty sure they've done the Juliet is sick thing plenty. It was called "Season 2". I'll grant you that I might have missed the episode where she told Nick "I'm just going to pop over to Jordan for a swim, back in a couple days!"

Yeah, I don't think Juliet is sick. It would be a really boring retread and she hardly had any contact with him, not that it seemed contagious at all. I think the shoe thing was just there to show how distracted she was thinking about the kid. And the best part was that she just said gently caress it and left the shoes in the drawer.

It was nice to see her really helping the team. If she hadn't come up with that stuff the rest of them wouldn't have had a clue.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Juliette was actually pretty cool this episode. I guess the writers are finally figuring out her character.

Pringles_School
Jul 24, 2013

Bored posted:

I heard Wesley! :neckbeard:

Only Buffy/Angel fans will have any clue what the gently caress I'm talking about.

Edit: It'd be cool if they could save some specimens of the microbe to find out what drug treatment would be effective.

Also Krampus!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0219206/
Sorry, I only remember that his real name is Alexis Denisof when I read it. Other than that, I just know him as Wesley. He hasn't been in anything else that I've seen aside from Buffy/Angel. He's so handsome, though.
VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

He's had a guest spot on HIMYM for the last few years. Not sure what else he did.

Though it's a lot different Grimm actually gives me the Buffy/Angel vibes from time to time, so I'm glad he's here.

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Juliette was actually pretty cool this episode. I guess the writers are finally figuring out her character.

I wish they hadn't dragged that amnesia plot on for so long. She's much better like this.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011

Pringles_School posted:

He's had a guest spot on HIMYM for the last few years. Not sure what else he did.

A pretty significant - if largely unrecognisable - cameo in The Avengers.

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Pringles_School posted:

Though it's a lot different Grimm actually gives me the Buffy/Angel vibes from time to time, so I'm glad he's here.

Probably because of David Greenwalt, who's a producer and writer for all 3 series in different capacities.

Grimm is especially evocative of Angel to me, because of how similar its approach is to humanizing Wesen, the way Angel did with demon characters. There's a really similar moral complexity there, within a not too dissimilar kind of fantasy/horror context.

I guess Monroe is the Wesley type. Hank is Gunn. I don't know which ones are Fred or Cordy...I hope Wu's at least one of them.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
I liked that Nick used his super hearing to find the boy at the start of the episode.

johntfs
Jun 7, 2013

by Cowcaster
Soiled Meat

quote:

I doubt it. Even if she was, she'd recognize the symptoms and just take a really, really cold shower or somesuch to kill the stuff.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

ookiimarukochan posted:

A pretty significant - if largely unrecognisable - cameo in The Avengers.

He's Alison Hannigan's husband as well. Legend has it she was about to claw a bitch when Charisma Carpenter thought he was cute back when he first came on Buffy.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

I picked my boyfriend up from work around 7pm last night and since it was icy we decided to avoid the freeway and take side streets to get home. So I drive up a few blocks and turn the corner and drat near crash in to Monroe's car. They were towing his car across the street when I nearly hit it. Here it is, safe and sound:

They were filming a fight scene with Monroe in front of the trailer. They had two huge hairy, Sasquatchy looking guys attacking Monroe. I couldn't get very clear pictures but this is what I did get:

Unfortunately I couldn't get any good pictures of Monroe, since they were filming he was mostly on the other side of all those people. It was really interesting because there was a point in the fight where he and one of the monsters are fighting over a shotgun and Monroe 'woges'. They did they by having Silas Weir Mitchell wresting with the guy, the director yelled 'cut', Silas runs out of the frame and a guy with Monroe's wolf face make up runs in really quick and the director yells 'action' and they finish the fight. Monroe also fires the shotgun at one point and a guy off to the side clicked of this big flashbox thing. You and see him toward the right in one of those pictures holding it up.

The production people were all really nice. One guy kept coming over to talk to us and asked us if we watched the show. He thanked us for our support and told us that Silas loves to meet fans if we want to stick around until the shoot was over. Unfortunately that wasn't for another two hours and it was about 20 degrees out so we went home.

One of my favorite moments though was a woman standing next to us who went, "Wow..he looks exactly like he does on TV!" :raise:

My boyfriend said they apparently film there often as it always serves as the 'trailer' location. It's on NW 17th just past Thurman, about a block away from the Dockside Bar and Grill if any other Portland goons want to check it out some night. (I hear they shoot more often at night).

Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I didn't even realize they actually filmed in Portland, but that's pretty awesome. It's really kickass they allowed a whole crowd there like that!

When they film stuff in my building (the last season of 24 which I haven't seen yet takes place heavily in my apartment building, they were filming here for ages including a big gun fight) - or in LA in general - they go crazy tarping the whole area off and keeping crowds from forming.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Blazing Ownager posted:

they go crazy tarping the whole area off and keeping crowds from forming.

That's no fun! Anytime I've run into the Grimm people they've always been super super polite and nice. They have security people wandering around but they're mainly there to make sure no one uses flash photography or takes videos. As long as people are being respectful they let you watch.

This is the first time I've been able to see one of the cast members but last time I ran into them it was the wardrobe truck that was next to the street and the lady working brought out and showed some of the costumes. They showed us one of Monroe's sweaters, well 10 of them actually. The first was all new and then they went in successive levels of dirty/bloody.

I've never gotten to meet anyone from the show but from what I've heard from other people the cast always makes an effort to come out and met people who stick around and watch if they have time. If I wasn't so ill prepared I'd have loved to stick around and meet Monroe. Or just to watch in general because it was really fascinating. Had I stayed out there longer though I'd have frozen solid. Maybe I'll go back down there again now that I know they film there regularly.

devoir
Nov 16, 2007
On a work trip before I moved to Portland, I met Sasha Roiz on a plane from LA. He was incredibly nice and probably spent about 10 minutes talking to me during and after he got his luggage from the baggage carousel. He encouraged me to move to Portland when I said I was thinking about it, and went off on a significant tangent about how much the cast enjoyed Portland and most live there for the shooting season rather than commute from LA.

ashez2ashes
Aug 15, 2012

I want to look up the German words during the 'Wessen birds and the bees' discussion but I have no idea how to spell them...

So.. A Wessen plus Wessen equals Wessen. Wessen plus human equals fifty percent chance of Wessen (unless for specific type of Wessen whose genes are dominant and always produce Wessen children?). Two different types of Wessen equal.... what? Mutant fox/wolf baby or either?

ashez2ashes fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 8, 2013

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

It was "Kehrseite", basically other side of something but also downside or drawback.

And while we're at it "Grausen" is basically 'the creeps' / horror .

S11001001
Jun 21, 2004

the sexiest thing is trust

ComposerGuy posted:

Basically I want an entire episode of nothing but that dinner scene with the gang.

Is that too much to ask?

No. It's a nice sign of how much the show has changed for the better since it started.

I look forward to the dinner party episode in Vienna with the scoobies, Renard, Adalind, & Wesley Wyndham-Pryce. And Wu being really bored.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 12 days!
Wu gets bored, starts eating sofa stuffing, everyone stares at him and he's all v:shobon:v

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
This season has been strangely weak, but this was a good episode. I especially liked Juliet's involvement and Nick making a journal entry with her.

Rosalee's calling the council was also good, especially because it wasn't hidden.

• Locked thread