Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Waterhaul posted:

It's basically been all down hill.
The Avengers #1 (1963) cover by Jack Kirby
The Avengers vol. 2, #1 (1996) cover by Rob Liefeld
The Avengers vol. 3, #1 (1998) cover by George Pérez
The Avengers vol. 4, #1 (2010) cover by John Romita Jr.
The Avengers vol. 5, #1 (2012) cover by Dustin Weaver

That's not a steady downward slope, that's a mountain followed by a crater followed by a meadow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The one for Heroic Age is great.

"Uh John, you were supposed to include Spider-Man..."
"Ahhh poo poo. Well, I dunno there's a bit of space between Iron Man and Thor maybe."

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Lobok posted:

The one for Heroic Age is great.

"Uh John, you were supposed to include Spider-Man..."
"Ahhh poo poo. Well, I dunno there's a bit of space between Iron Man and Thor maybe."

You know Iron Man and Thor are the dudes who finagle the most camera space on Avengers Picture Day. They'll throw hands, elbows, repulsors, just for a little more lens time.

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Seriously, you cannot tell me that Liefeld cover is better than the Perez cover.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
You can say that about the other covers but you can't be serious that George Perez cover is terrible. Like what, other than maybe Thor's hammer, that is a kick rear end cover. I'd buy that as a poster.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Senior Woodchuck posted:

Seriously, you cannot tell me that Liefeld cover is better than the Perez cover.

that's like comparing apples to turds.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Hollismason posted:

You can say that about the other covers but you can't be serious that George Perez cover is terrible. Like what, other than maybe Thor's hammer, that is a kick rear end cover. I'd buy that as a poster.

Everybody is just thrown together in a ridiculous way just shouting and facing different directions. I dunno what Herc (?) is doing? Is Tigra hanging off Beast and what is Black Widow hanging from? I like Thor trying to land on/right in front of Wanda trying to blast someone.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Perez always drew the most babetacular Scarlet Witch :allears:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG

Senior Woodchuck posted:

I'm pretty sure the Liefeld cover was the crater. The Perez cover is great for what it is, a huge compositional mess that shoehorns every character possible into the image. It's a whole lot better than most of that type.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Waterhaul posted:

what is Black Widow hanging from?

A passing helicopter, of course.

I just like that Sandman is in there. And he got way more space on that cover than whoever's hiding behind Scarlet Witch's cape by the edge of the page.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Hey, quote is not edit.

Flesh Forge posted:

I'm pretty sure the Liefeld cover was the crater. The Perez cover is great for what it is, a huge compositional mess that shoehorns every character possible into the image. It's a whole lot better than most of that type.

X-Men 200

I'm biased because I have this framed on my wall in my office.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

McSpanky posted:

Perez always drew the most babetacular Scarlet Witch :allears:

She's his favourite character.

And Busiek's I think.

Flesh Forge posted:

It's got nothing on the cover to JLA/Avengers #3.

IUG posted:

I just like that Sandman is in there. And he got way more space on that cover than whoever's hiding behind Scarlet Witch's cape by the edge of the page.

I think that's Rick Jones. He'd been crippled by the Hulk around this time so he took to using one of Professor X's yellow hover-chairs. I believe Pérez actually forgot to include him (and a couple of other characters) so he stuck them in wherever there was space left over).

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Waterhaul posted:

and a Galactus by Rafael Kayanan that competes with the James Stokoe version.

That rules, Galactus rules. I want every artist in the world to at least draw one Galactus in their lifetime.

Choco1980
Feb 22, 2013

I fell in love with a Video Nasty

Flesh Forge posted:

I don't know what else you were expecting. When you hire Perez to do a cover for an ensemble book, you pretty much expect every team member in the picture for no real reason.

(sidenote regarding the x-men collage, ha ha, look at all those covered up feet! )

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Choco1980 posted:

(sidenote regarding the x-men collage, ha ha, look at all those covered up feet! )

I count eleven feet if you don't include Lockheed's, and that picture's gotta have at least 40-odd people in it. That level of covering up is honestly kind of impressive.

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

I really can't stand Finch but at least Mystique seems to be having fun riding around on top of Sabretooth.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Waterhaul posted:

I really can't stand Finch but at least Mystique seems to be having fun riding around on top of Sabretooth.

With chest balloons like those, I think it's more that he's providing ballast.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

Professor X has the most kissable lips in the world.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I've mentioned before that I'm quite keen on Alan Davis, so here's some pictures he's done:

Also, this X-Men cover that I kinda like:

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I'm so glad Marvel has done away with words on covers like that. "And there shall bean ending!"

Too bad DC still does that poo poo.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah that is some bad keming.

WeX Majors
Apr 16, 2006
Joined for the archives

Waterhaul posted:

The Avengers vol. 4, #1 (2010) cover by John Romita Jr.

Despite everything bad about this cover, It's got such a great little spidey joke in it by having him be latched on to Mjolnir. It makes perfect sense in Comic Book World, and is a nice little "spidey-thing" for him to be doing on the cover.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe

Waterhaul posted:

Some really good film Spider-Man

I know he's been posted time and again on this thread, but Murata is just so freaking good. It's also fun watching his process on his livestream while he works on his current project.

Or is it Sputnik
Aug 22, 2009

Oh, Ho-oh oh oh, oh whoa oh oh oh
I'll get 'em caught, show Oak what I've got

IUG posted:

Hulk gets the entire top-left corner, and he's in the issue for one small panel.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin

Metal Loaf posted:

I've mentioned before that I'm quite keen on Alan Davis, so here's some pictures he's done:

No joke, I'm 99% sure that Alan Davis actually the best comic book artist in history.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

I would literally kill someone for a Yusuke Murata Spider-Man comic.
Or really any american comic.

Senor Candle fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 8, 2013

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

WeX Majors posted:

Despite everything bad about this cover, It's got such a great little spidey joke in it by having him be latched on to Mjolnir. It makes perfect sense in Comic Book World, and is a nice little "spidey-thing" for him to be doing on the cover.

I don't know if he's done it more than once, but the first time I recall him hitching a ride on Mjolnir was back when I was still collecting comic books: Marvel Team Up!

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Metal Loaf posted:

This is really awesome.

Is this a good Capt. Britain book to get? I'd like to get the Davis/Moore/Claremont/Delano omnibus of course, but it's hard to get for a reasonable price now.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
The Moore/Davis/Delano issues have also been collected by Panini in this book and this one. Unfortunately, I don't think include either the UXM or New Mutants annuals Claremont wrote which featured the character.

Benito Cereno
Jan 20, 2006

ALLEZ-OUP!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This is really awesome.

Is this a good Capt. Britain book to get? I'd like to get the Davis/Moore/Claremont/Delano omnibus of course, but it's hard to get for a reasonable price now.

Yeah, it's good. It's obviously not as good as the Alan Moore stuff that precedes it, and I haven't read it in a few years so it may not hold up as well as I remember, but it's definitely worth the two dollars it's going for on Amazon for the art alone.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Plus don't even think about skipping on D.R. & Quinch - Moore in his comedy primetime and Alan Davis' work in that is amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
My favourite comic when I was little was Sonic the Comic, which I sperged over in the underrated runs thread. There were a few really great artists on the series and Richard Elson was probably the most prominent. He did this terrific version of Super Sonic as a fiendish killing machine, which was the focus of some of the comic's most popular stories.

Check it out, from Sonic the Comic #80:

And from Sonic the Comic #81:

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,

Political Power is coming in late to try and steal cover of the year :v:

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Waterhaul posted:

As drawn by Herman Cain, apparently.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

El Gallinero Gros posted:

As drawn by Herman Cain, apparently.

If he drew it he would be a pokeman and fighting aliens or Nic Cage who has stolen the US Constitution.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

bobkatt013 posted:

If he drew it he would be a pokeman and fighting aliens or Nic Cage who has stolen the US Constitution.

Please don't troll. Everyone knows it is Barry 0bummer Sotoro who stole the US Constitution and is holding is ransom.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 14 hours!
Fallen Rib

Waterhaul posted:

This is such thing of beauty it nearly brought a tear to my eye.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Endless Mike posted:

Please don't troll. Everyone knows it is Barry 0bummer Sotoro who stole the US Constitution and is holding is ransom.

That is not true
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/thu-june-28-2012/herman-cain--an-american-presidency---the-constitution

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop

Waterhaul posted:

It's like he started drawing Herman Cain but ended up with Hans Moleman from the Simpsons instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
The hearts of Americans are treacherous, but the Moloids will never forsake him.