Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

I have no earthly idea why but I am irrationally irritated that they are not designating the new hi-po model the Z07. Yes, I know that the package on previous generations was always Z06 but hey that's why it's irrational on my part.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

The Midniter posted:

I have no earthly idea why but I am irrationally irritated that they are not designating the new hi-po model the Z07. Yes, I know that the package on previous generations was always Z06 but hey that's why it's irrational on my part.

Probably to make sure that the Z07 performance package can still be used on the option list. Otherwise they would have to come out with another designation.

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/12/06/2015-chevy-corvette-z06-leaked-photo/

autoblog posted:

UPDATE: It appears that the yellow Corvette above is a well-done Photoshop product, not the real Z06. That said, we still believe it to be a very close representation of the real thing. The engine pic, however, is still believed to be authentic.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

The article itself says that's probably photoshopped.

E:\/Well you'll see in my quote your ninja edit wasn't there. :colbert:

Fender Anarchist fucked around with this message at 19:43 on Dec 6, 2013

Hog Obituary
Jun 11, 2006
start the day right

Fucknag posted:

The article itself says that's probably photoshopped.
as did i.

e:

Fucknag posted:

E:\/Well you'll see in my quote your ninja edit wasn't there. :colbert:
The forums software doesn't nest quotes in quotes by default so there's no way to tell :colbert:

Hog Obituary fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 6, 2013

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice
I saw that photo on autblog and before even getting to the photoshop part, the first thing I noticed was that it didn't have the black bits in the rear brake vents that were in GM's teaser picture the other day. Aside from the wheels, how do you try to make a convincing photoshop and leave out one of the two things that differentiate it from the base model?

Also apparently the McLaren P1 did the ring in under 7 minutes? Crazy.

DoLittle
Jul 26, 2006

davebo posted:

Also apparently the McLaren P1 did the ring in under 7 minutes? Crazy.

I think the rumors have been around 6:30-6:50 mark. I guess it mostly depends on what tires they put on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

leica posted:

I wouldn't doubt Ford bringing back the SVO nameplate, they've brought out every other Mustang moniker there is, and a new SVO would be pretty loving awesome.

I figure it'll be called the ST since both the turbo Fiesta and Focus have those letters tacked on.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
Magazines are starting to throw rumors around that the LT4 in the Z06 might be in the 650hp range. That thing is going to be a monster.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Rhyno posted:

I figure it'll be called the ST since both the turbo Fiesta and Focus have those letters tacked on.

It will be called the SFE since it gets the bestfuel economy. :c00lbert:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

fknlo posted:

Magazines are starting to throw rumors around that the LT4 in the Z06 might be in the 650hp range. That thing is going to be a monster.

And then extrapolate and imagine how aboslutely filthy the ZR1 equivalent will be. :allears:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Fucknag posted:

And then extrapolate and imagine how aboslutely filthy the ZR1 equivalent will be. :allears:

One Thousand Horsepower. gently caress it.

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.

SouthLAnd posted:

One Thousand Horsepower. gently caress it.

I wonder at what point this either a) requires tires as wide as pizza boxes and a huge rear weight bias, or b) only comes at the stratospheric end of the RPM range with an exponential HP curve.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Mash the gas in 7th gear at 75mph and break the tires loose. Imagine the wealth of amazing Corvette crash vids on YouTube.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Snowdens Secret posted:

I wonder at what point this either a) requires tires as wide as pizza boxes and a huge rear weight bias, or b) only comes at the stratospheric end of the RPM range with an exponential HP curve.

I'm curious what GM's doing for tires. The current C7 has skinnier tires than the C6 generation. How much will they grow the new Z06's and ZR1s? The C6 ZR1 topped out at 335.

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
As much as we all love horsepower, I think this power race is getting out of hand. 550+hp is insane for a regular person off of the street to be able to handle. Do these vehicles require some high performance driving classes prior to purchase or can anyone just with enough cash just wrap one around a tree?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

travisray2004 posted:

As much as we all love horsepower, I think this power race is getting out of hand. 550+hp is insane for a regular person off of the street to be able to handle. Do these vehicles require some high performance driving classes prior to purchase or can anyone just with enough cash just wrap one around a tree?

Modern traction/stability control and ABS systems are very good. Just about anyone could hop in, say, a ZR1 and drive it to 8 or 9/10s without dying.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987

Fucknag posted:

Modern traction/stability control and ABS systems are very good. Just about anyone could hop in, say, a ZR1 and drive it to 8 or 9/10s without dying.

They won't die because of crash safety standards. The rest of the car, after just about anyone hopping in it and driving to 8 or 9/10s, would be at your local salvage yard (what's left of it)

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

All this talk about 600+ hp for the Z06 (don't even want to think about the ZR1) makes me wonder if the next Viper ACR, which has already been approved for 2015 according to a conversation between a ranking VOA rep and Ralph, will get a power boost. Really, all they would need to eclipse the previous version is the all carbon body from the GTS-R, the TA's suspension/brake upgrades, and the aero work from the racing effort. That being said, 680 to 700hp might be a good way to further differentiate it from the lesser Vipers. I'm sure the price is going to be a hard swallow for the car's established community.

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

...And then there's me. I find 210hp adequate enough in a car that weighs 5100 pounds. At least til I try to climb a mountain and actually maintain 70 MPH, that ain't gonna happen.

Friar Zucchini fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Dec 7, 2013

Muffinpox
Sep 7, 2004

Dr.Smasher posted:

They won't die because of crash safety standards. The rest of the car, after just about anyone hopping in it and driving to 8 or 9/10s, would be at your local salvage yard (what's left of it)

Modern TC is completely nutso about how badly you can drive a car and have the computer just hold your hand and sort out everything. I left full TC for an autocross run in a C6 Z06 and just drove like a total shithead to see what it would do. You can be pulling 1+g in a right hander and go WOT mid-corner and before your foot is on the floor the computer has already cut the power and the chassis control is braking inside wheels to deal with you upsetting the car. Then with your foot pinned to the floor, as you unwind the wheel the computer will figure out how much grip the rear has and automatically start feeding in the throttle until the wheel is straight and you're at 100%. Overcook a corner a bit and plowing wide? Chassis control will individually brake wheels to scrub enough speed and rotate the car in the direction it should be going. Turn in too hard and upset the car? Chassis control pats you on the head and says "There there ham hands" as it intrusively does what it needs to to keep the car stable.

Literally the only way you can gently caress up is by trying to brake way too late or going into a corner far far too hot. The bigger problem is when someone turns off all the safety nets and thinks that because they can use the throttle as an on/off switch with TC on then it will be the same with it off, which is why you see people spinning them in a straight line.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

travisray2004 posted:

LOL of course not. You can walk into a motorcycle dealer and buy a 200 hp supersport with nothing more than a license and good credit. poo poo, not even the license if the dealer doesn't care enough.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

It's interesting to see GM searching for high HP figures whereas Ford is looking at economy. Is GM going in the wrong direction here? Should they be looking at more efficient motors for the Corvette and Camaro rather than going for horse power?

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

You all have to remember the C6R is only 470hp. The ZR1 doesn't have to be monsterously powerful to be considerably quicker than even a 650hp Z06.

You Am I posted:

Is GM going in the wrong direction here? Should they be looking at more efficient motors for the Corvette and Camaro rather than going for horse power?

gently caress off.

I mean it.

edit: at this point, it would just be nice if dodge would get into the horsepower game. They seem to have been sitting on the sidelines outside of pickups and supercars.
edit 2: or japan too, come on, japan, you used to be cool.

Powershift fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Dec 8, 2013

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

You Am I posted:

It's interesting to see GM searching for high HP figures whereas Ford is looking at economy. Is GM going in the wrong direction here? Should they be looking at more efficient motors for the Corvette and Camaro rather than going for horse power?

Oh what planet is selling a 550 hp 5.0 v8 and a supercharged 662 hp v8 (with assurances the next gen will have incrementally more power) chasing economy over power? Also, they're called ecoboost, but it's pretty clear that Ford's new round of turbo engines has power as a top priority.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Powershift posted:

edit: at this point, it would just be nice if dodge would get into the horsepower game. They seem to have been sitting on the sidelines outside of pickups and supercars.
Mopar is still in the game. The Hellcat - at least it's a name rather than a soulless alphanumerical soup combination - supercharged V8 has been confirmed, and recently spotted Challengers in camo have that distinctive blower whine. It's going to be conservatively rated at 640hp, sparring the Viper faithful from any feelings of jealousy. Rumor has it that the lump will also appear in the Charger, 300, and the Grand Cherokee. I think it's safe to assume that they'll all be wearing SRT badges, too.

Further down the line, it'd be absurd if that new midsized RWD they're sharing with Alfa gets it, if it will even fit.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Tekne posted:

Mopar is still in the game. The Hellcat - at least it's a name rather than a soulless alphanumerical soup combination - supercharged V8 has been confirmed, and recently spotted Challengers in camo have that distinctive blower whine. It's going to be conservatively rated at 640hp, sparring the Viper faithful from any feelings of jealousy. Rumor has it that the lump will also appear in the Charger, 300, and the Grand Cherokee. I think it's safe to assume that they'll all be wearing SRT badges, too.

Further down the line, it'd be absurd if that new midsized RWD they're sharing with Alfa gets it, if it will even fit.

There are/were rumors of the challenger replacement moving to a smaller platform, maybe being called the SRT barracuda. Is that still the leading expectation or has that fallen apart?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Challenger is going to stay big, but it's supposed to go on a diet and may shrink a few inches. It's going to remain as the last muscle car (the refreshed one coming up should drive even nicer than the SRT8) while the unnamed 2-door Avenger (that's morphing into a modern RWD sedan) sibling takes on the Mustang and Camaro. I like this approach because both the cruisers and racers will have something that meets their needs. They could even make a Chrysler out of the new Challenger as a more affordable option to the S Coupe and 6 Series. The need to provide Alfa and Maserati with new platforms is going to work out real well for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/SRT.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Dec 8, 2013

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I'd like to see Lincoln do a sport sedan off of the new Mustang.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Tekne posted:

Challenger is going to stay big, but it's supposed to go on a diet and may shrink a few inches. It's going to remain as the last muscle car (the refreshed one coming up should drive even nicer than the SRT8) while the unnamed 2-door Avenger (that's morphing into a modern RWD sedan) sibling takes on the Mustang and Camaro. I like this approach because both the cruisers and racers will have something that meets their needs. They could even make a Chrysler out of the new Challenger as a more affordable option to the S Coupe and 6 Series. The need to provide Alfa and Maserati with new platforms is going to work out real well for Dodge/Chrysler/Jeep/SRT.

Oh drat, that sounds great. It's going to be an interesting couple of years in the car world. (edit: or not :()

On a completely different note, is someone at GM still hoping to do a new Grand National, or is that just going to be the ATS-V?

As Nero Danced fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Dec 8, 2013

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Chrysler has promised a lot of stuff and has so far delivered exactly bupkis. I think the whole FIAT group is really constrained by capital availability and all the easy obvious poo poo like 8 speed trans, diesel truck/jeep have been done, and to go any further into stuff like new RWD platforms is going to take serious money that they just don't have. How are the Hemi LX cars still using a 5 speed trans? Where is the SRT4? THE WORLD WONDERS

I guess we'll see just how things are progressing if the new Sebring managed to stagger out at the Detroit show like it was supposed to.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc
Yeah Chrysler couldn't even afford to get a new design / sheet metal for the Cherokee, their most successful brand's most likely highest volume product. They're definitely hurting for money.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Engineering is hard and expensive. The currently challenger sells well enough that it will probably live on to be a 2016 model, and the 8 speed won't fit behind the hemi in the car without serious engineering changes, so 5 speed auto it is!

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
There's a rumor that, due to their money woes, they've back pedaled off the RWD Avenger plan and are now developing it as a rebadge of the next 200. They're really hard up for cash right now due to the European arm being a giant sucking money pit and the Chrysler arm being what's keeping the lights on.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Some of that might be intentional shenanigans because Sergio is trying to devalue Mopar as much as possible before they buy the rest.

The 8 speed has already made it into the Hemi equipped Durango, Grand Cherokee, and Ram. I imagine that they're waiting to introduce it with the refreshed 2015 LXs, avoiding certification fees that they would just end up paying again in 1 or 2 years if they had done it sooner. That's probably the same reason the Wrangler still doesn't have the turbodiesel with its replacement looming on the horizon. Although Chriat has undoubtedly made mistakes (the much delayed Cherokee release as a glaring example), I think they're on the right path, and the new 200 should have a much smoother launch than its cousin; mating a 9 speed transmission to two new engines with three unique AWD systems is a herculean task. SM clearly hosed up when he gave such an enthusiastic release date. As for the SRT4, a new turbocharged 2.4 has been confirmed to be in development, so I imagine the Dart will get its due when that is ready for action.

While Fiat Group's auto branch might be in dire financial straights, I've also heard that Exor has more than enough money to purchase Chrysler outright, but they're playing chicken with VEBA for the best price.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

blk posted:

I'd like to see Lincoln do a sport sedan off of the new Mustang.

Oh yes. This would be so super excellent.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

You Am I posted:

Well. You can claim this, sure, but keep in mind that given the power level, the fuel economy is pretty loving good. I do realize this is mostly a function of cheating on fuel economy tests with the skip shift as well as high gearing, but still. Ford may be chasing fuel economy (and as previous posts have mention - not really), but getting both power and reasonable fuel economy in the same machine is a pretty amazing feat that GM is doing a pretty good job of.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Powershift posted:

You all have to remember the C6R is only 470hp. The ZR1 doesn't have to be monsterously powerful to be considerably quicker than even a 650hp Z06.

For it to be remotely well received by the target audience, it will. The C6R has insane aero and suspension setup that would make it a nightmare for the 50-yo dude that wants a ZR1.

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

kimbo305 posted:

For it to be remotely well received by the target audience, it will. The C6R has insane aero and suspension setup that would make it a nightmare for the 50-yo dude that wants a ZR1.

It's also about 600lb lighter than the ZR1. Cars get a lot lighter when they don't have pesky crash test regulations and entertainment systems weighing them down, so less power goes a lot further.

source

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

Cream_Filling posted:

Yeah Chrysler couldn't even afford to get a new design / sheet metal for the Cherokee, their most successful brand's most likely highest volume product. They're definitely hurting for money.

Man, I forgot how long ago it was that the Grand Cherokee (presumably that's what you mean) came out. I think it's all right though since they did pretty much update everything else and the exterior of the GC was pretty nice to begin with. If anything the new headlights are a step back.

Tekne posted:

The 8 speed has already made it into the Hemi equipped Durango, Grand Cherokee, and Ram. I imagine that they're waiting to introduce it with the refreshed 2015 LXs, avoiding certification fees that they would just end up paying again in 1 or 2 years if they had done it sooner. That's probably the same reason the Wrangler still doesn't have the turbodiesel with its replacement looming on the horizon.

The Durango, GC and Ram already had the 68RFE behind the V8s, but it like the 8 speed seems to be not fitting in the cars. The Wrangler diesel has already been out in other markets, so it's probably not the same thing.

What I wish they would do is put the TR6060 in the Charger and 300 SRT, for the final couple of years, just so they can get those final couple of people who are still sitting on the sidelines. The new Chevy SS is otherwise a pretty nice car but no manual sort of kills it.

Fucknag posted:

It's also about 600lb lighter than the ZR1. Cars get a lot lighter when they don't have pesky crash test regulations and entertainment systems weighing them down, so less power goes a lot further.

source

I think it's probably just a lot of carbon fiber. The C6R has coil over shock suspension, which means the suspension mounting points and load bearing structures are going to be completely different from the regular street car and it may as well be a tube frame car at that point.