Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

c0ldfuse posted:

Is there a DVR you can buy for over the air TV recording?

There's quite a few, doing a search for "OTA DVR" on Amazon should bring up a bunch.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_3?url=search-alias%253Delectronics&field-keywords=ota+dvr&sprefix=Ota%252Celectronics%252C373

Also, TiVo works just find with OTA if you're interested in that route.

KnifeWrench posted:

I remember a Kickstarter for something like that a while back. No idea what happened to it: if it meet its goal, if they produced units, or if they had a plan to productize on the back end. But suffice it to say the Kickstarter existed because the product didn't otherwise.

No, they've existed for a long time. Back on analog your VCR was your DVR, and when they made the switch to digital OTA broadcasts the digital/analog converter box companies started churning them out. They've been around for years and there is no shortage of them out there. What that Kickstarter one did was have some IPTV functionality as well.

FCKGW fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Dec 5, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KnifeWrench
May 25, 2007

Practical and safe.

Bleak Gremlin

FCKGW posted:

They've been around for years and there is no shortage of them out there. What that Kickstarter one did was have some IPTV functionality as well.

Oops. Forgive my poor memory. Thanks for setting the record straight.

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

FCKGW posted:

There's quite a few, doing a search for "OTA DVR" on Amazon should bring up a bunch.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_0_3?url=search-alias%253Delectronics&field-keywords=ota+dvr&sprefix=Ota%252Celectronics%252C373

Also, TiVo works just find with OTA if you're interested in that route.

No, they've existed for a long time. Back on analog your VCR was your DVR, and when they made the switch to digital OTA broadcasts the digital/analog converter box companies started churning them out. They've been around for years and there is no shortage of them out there. What that Kickstarter one did was have some IPTV functionality as well.

Perfect. This records to a HDD which will also play media downloaded to it from another source so I can give the person this is for a ton of TV shows I have saved on my computer easily.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

c0ldfuse posted:

Perfect. This records to a HDD which will also play media downloaded to it from another source so I can give the person this is for a ton of TV shows I have saved on my computer easily.

There's a whole thread in inspect your gadgets about getting rid of cable and what kind of tools there are to do the things you want: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3490605

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
I have an absolutely bizarre question that has been in my head since 8th grade science.

Hermaphrodites are organisms with both sets of sexual organs. It can happen in presumably any multi-cellular organisms, but as I understand it is more common in invertebrates like slugs, snails and worms.

Slugs are typically hermaphrodites and pair off to exchange sperm with each other fertilizing each other's eggs.

Since in this instance, both sets of organs are functioning, it seems like a slug could potentially fertilize itself (if the genitals could reach that far). Is there any kind of biological defense that would prevent that? If not, would the offspring be exact genetic matches/clones?

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

CzarChasm posted:

Since in this instance, both sets of organs are functioning, it seems like a slug could potentially fertilize itself (if the genitals could reach that far). Is there any kind of biological defense that would prevent that? If not, would the offspring be exact genetic matches/clones?

I can't speak much for slugs, but self-fertilization ("selfing") is common in some invertebrates and plants. It's possible for the resulting offspring to have different genotypes than the parent because the process of sperm/egg production (meiosis) tends to introduce variation. Selfing is almost always a last resort in sexually-reproducing organisms; It's rarely better to self than it is to crossbreed. There are a few chemical and mechanical mechanisms that prevent or reduce selfing. In some species, female organs are just plain non-receptive to self sperm. I'm not an expert on how it's recognized, but it's a very common strategy in plants.

There are two common types of mechanical barriers: herkogamy and dichogamy. Herkogamy refers to physical separation of male and female structures in such a way to reduce sperm/egg interactions. For example, flower stalks of bee-pollinated plants often have female-phase flowers on the bottom and male-phase flowers at the top. Bees move upward when foraging, so this ensures that the bees deposit pollen from another plant on the bottom flowers and then grab the current plant's pollen before taking off for a new target. The plant avoids self-pollination this way.* This sort of system is seen in earthworms too.

Dichogamy (called sequential hermaphrodism in animals) is the temporal separation of sexual function. Rather than being 50/50 male/female their whole lives, such organisms go through phases where they begin as one sex and eventually become another as they age. This is very common in marine animals such as bivalve molluscs and various reef fishes. It's also extremely common in plants. Bee pollinated flowers often present functionally-male flowers first, which then mature to female-phase flowers.

And no, it's not a bizarre question! I worked in a pollination ecology lab and instructed an invertebrate zoology lab course for three years. It's a question I encounter every now and then and it's a pretty interesting subject :)

* Actually most bee-pollinated plants that exhibit this strategy are self-incompatible (i.e. they are incapable of fertilizing themselves, even if self-pollination happens), but I don't need to get into the reason for that. The example still illustrates how the system would reduce selfing.

On that note...

CzarChasm posted:

Since in this instance, both sets of organs are functioning, it seems like a slug could potentially fertilize itself (if the genitals could reach that far).

You haven't seen a slug dick before, have you? :getin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoGn9bRWuHQ

Mak0rz fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 5, 2013

FogHelmut
Dec 18, 2003

What store sells wood chips for like a smoker?

Hummingbirds
Feb 17, 2011

FogHelmut posted:

Hardware stores?

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.

FogHelmut posted:

Any big hardware store, many grocers though likely not during winter.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

FogHelmut posted:

I'd look for Big Green Egg dealers in your area. That should get you to a serious BBQ type store/woodyard.

berzerker
Aug 18, 2004
"If I could not go to heaven but with a party, I would not go there at all."
This has probably been answered at some point, but what the hell happened to GBS? I rarely venture there these days, but it was occasionally interesting for big topics when I wanted to escape the D&D hivemind on politics, for example. I assumed the GBS2.1 thing was a temporary joke thing, but it's been around a long time now. Considering the trouble with FYAD-like subforums previously I don't quite get why another knock-off is a good thing. Is that a permanent change?

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     
Stupid/Small Questions Megathread (Stop asking about GBS)

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Schweinhund posted:

Stupid/Small Questions Megathread (Stop asking about GBS)

Seconded! At the least it needs to go into the OP, it's a question being asked pretty frequently 'round these parts.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

hoobajoo posted:

Seconded! At the least it needs to go into the OP, it's a question being asked pretty frequently 'round these parts.
Does anyone read the OP of a thread 800 pages long?

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Just people that don't want to spend another :10bux:

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Why would you not?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
How do I find my forums ID? I know there's a quick and easy way to do it, it's just been years since I've needed it so I forgot.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

DarthJeebus posted:

How do I find my forums ID? I know there's a quick and easy way to do it, it's just been years since I've needed it so I forgot.

The first step is usually posting. And you did that, so good work.

The second is looking at your profile or something, or just highlighting some url that has userid="xxxxx" in it. Yours seems to be 95216.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe
Welp I knew it had to be that simple, thanks.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

FogHelmut posted:

I got mine from Amazon last week. Two bags. As good of a deal as I ever get at the hardware store, perhaps fresher (very fragrant), and I didn't have to put on pants.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

You can skip the posting stage to find your ID, on the main forums index your name at the upper left above the "Users Logged In" is a link to your profile with your ID in the URL.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Im looking for an Android app that will play mp3s and allow me to create bookmarks, which the default player on my Galaxy doesn't seem to do.

Specifically I'd like to be able to bookmark my place in audiobooks so I can restart from the same spot/chapter later.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Assuming that someone's constantly reverting edits about some trivial thing on Wikipedia, is there actually some means of arbitration you can go to to settle it? How does Wikipedia work in those sort of situations? Is it just that whoever is more persistent wins?

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.
I was visiting the Prado in Madrid this summer. There was a painting occupying an entire wall, depicting an execution of some band of resisters or revolutionaries on a beach. It wasn't a Goya. Does someone know what it might have been?

pylb
Sep 22, 2010

"The superfluous, a very necessary thing"

Kevin DuBrow posted:

I was visiting the Prado in Madrid this summer. There was a painting occupying an entire wall, depicting an execution of some band of resisters or revolutionaries on a beach. It wasn't a Goya. Does someone know what it might have been?

Was it this one ?
http://www.museodelprado.es/en/the-...each-at-malaga/

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Tiggum posted:

Assuming that someone's constantly reverting edits about some trivial thing on Wikipedia, is there actually some means of arbitration you can go to to settle it? How does Wikipedia work in those sort of situations? Is it just that whoever is more persistent wins?

If it gets to that point you are first supposed to try and get a consensus on the articles talk page. If you can't then there are a couple non-binding arbitration options you have like 3rd Opinion or Dispute Resolution. If the person is not communicating at all you can start something at the edit warring board. Basically it's going to take a long time, especially if you're the only two editing the article back and forth.

Sieg
Sep 28, 2009

Must kill all humans

Tiggum posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Edit_warring

You can also view the "Talk" page on any article to see discussions on wordings and other trivial matters.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Im looking for an Android app that will play mp3s and allow me to create bookmarks, which the default player on my Galaxy doesn't seem to do.

Specifically I'd like to be able to bookmark my place in audiobooks so I can restart from the same spot/chapter later.

Rocket player does this. You can play the song (or MP3 or whatever), pause where you'd like to stop, go back to the home screen, turn it off, whatever, and when you re-open the program, you're back where you left off.

I use it because it has a built in sleep timer that will turn off after x time has elapsed.

It also has some features that I don't like though. By default it starts playing immediately when you plug in a set of headphones. This can be turned off in the options, but just surprised me.

Another thing is that for some reason, if you are looking at the album artwork when you listen to the music, the track info just stops showing up.

Kevin DuBrow
Apr 21, 2012

The uruk-hai defender has logged on.

That's the one, thanks! I was looking around on the website but it's kind of hard to find specific paintings.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

Tiggum posted:

They used to have a three revision rule, but I don't know if it's still in effect. Basically it would give a short-term probation on the offending user for continually undoing the same edits.

Doctor Albatross
Jul 7, 2008

I prescribe a dirt bath and a diet of freshwater karp.
If I was looking for someone in the US to receive a package and then forward it to me in New Zealand - and get some compensation for their efforts - where would I post? SA Mart?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I just got a promotional offer from Comcast to add a free year of their digital cable and streaming service. We get a free set-top box to attach to the TV for the TV stuff. However, the cable comes in in one room, and the TV is in the next. I have a wireless router, a PS3, Xbox 360, and a Wii U. Is there any way to avoid running a cable into the room with the TV with this setup?

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I remember there being a way to hide sites from your Google search results, but I don't remember how to do it! At one point I there was a shortcut where you could click a result and then immediately click back and get the option to remove that site from your search results. That doesn't seem to be working. Is there a way to do it?

\/\/

I remember there being a way to hide sites from your Google search results, but I don't remember how to do it! At one point I there was a shortcut where you could click a result and then immediately click back and get the option to remove that site from your search results. That doesn't seem to be working. Is there a way to do it?

I found this Chrome extension, if that's the browser you use.

hooah fucked around with this message at 00:59 on Dec 8, 2013

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

User-Friendly
Apr 27, 2008

Is There a God? (Pt. 9)

if you include "-sitename" in your search, it'll hide all results from sitename. I don't think there's a way to erase a site from all your search results going forward anymore, though.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doesn't google give you the option to block a site under each one in the search results? It does for me, and I don't recall doing anything special to make it happen.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

randyest posted:

Doesn't google give you the option to block a site under each one in the search results? It does for me, and I don't recall doing anything special to make it happen.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
Weird. Maybe this'll help? (I didn't do this)

http://lifehacker.com/5895364/how-to-block-any-site-from-showing-up-in-google-search-results

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

quote:

We have discontinued offering the blocked sites feature for now. We continue to offer the Chrome extension for blocking sites, and will reconsider features for blocking unwanted search results in the future.
Scroogled again.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Did you see my edited post right above your first one?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

hooah posted:

Did you see my edited post right above your first one?
No, but I'm not using Chrome, either.