Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Bigass Moth posted:

Rob Conway rules

I don't disagree.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Bigass Moth posted:

Rob Conway rules but the NWA title has been largely meaningless indy fodder for 20 years at this point.

Not to mention the WCW and NWA title lineage split before WCW went under. Hell, the WWF ran an angle involving the NWA.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Thauros posted:

Not to mention the WCW and NWA title lineage split before WCW went under. Hell, the WWF ran an angle involving the NWA.

Don't you dare slander Bombastic Bob and Bodacious Bart.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Bigass Moth posted:

Rob Conway rules but the NWA title has been largely meaningless indy fodder for 20 years at this point.

It is fascinating reading the title history on Wikipedia, tracing what happened to it after WCW broke off.

I remember the brief WWF/NWA co-promotion with Severn as NWA champ, but I don't believe I heard anything else until TNA got exclusive rights to the title.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
One of the reasons you can't even really get the NWA title lineage to the WCW unification match in 1994 is that WCW themselves hosed up having the WCW International World bullshit as the linear NWA title when Rick Rude vacated the title right before the unification.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

VogeGandire posted:

Don't you dare slander Bombastic Bob and Bodacious Bart.
Wasn't it Bombastic Bart and Bodacious Bob?

JK!
May 10, 2007

EZ-PZ!

Endorph posted:

Wasn't it Bombastic Bart and Bodacious Bob?

Nope. It's bombastic Bob and Bodacious Bart. The T's are separate is how I always remembered it

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I Before E posted:

I haven't noticed any desync problems on my copy.

I've got the same desync problems he was talking about so I guess it was a certain run or something.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

What went wrong with Ultimo Dragon's run in the WWE? Shouldn't that have been a foolproof slam dunk? Was it just another case of the WWE never really knowing how to handle foreign talent, or was there more to it?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Delsaber posted:

What went wrong with Ultimo Dragon's run in the WWE? Shouldn't that have been a foolproof slam dunk? Was it just another case of the WWE never really knowing how to handle foreign talent, or was there more to it?

Combination of him having lost a step by the time he got there, a lack of reactions, Vince being impulsive beyond sanity, and also hating cruiserweights. The original plan was to do Rey vs Dragon, posisbly at WM, IIRC.

getitoffgetitoff
Sep 24, 2007

by Ralp

Delsaber posted:

Did they even have him do anything? I only remember him being in the Cruserweight gauntlet at Wrestlemania 20 and winning the Royal Rumble in my playthrough of Smackdown Here Comes the Pain season mode.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Did they even have him do anything? I only remember him being in the Cruserweight gauntlet at Wrestlemania 20 and winning the Royal Rumble in my playthrough of Smackdown Here Comes the Pain season mode.

I remember his finish was a standing Shiranui, which was kind of cool, if silly.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

El Gallinero Gros posted:

The original plan was to do Rey vs Dragon, posisbly at WM, IIRC.

Didn't they give this away on Smackdown?

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

getitoffgetitoff posted:

Nope, not really. He literally had about seven Smackdown matches and his only clean singles win was against Shannon Moore. Most of them were tag matches. He won his only singles match against Rey in about two and a half minutes because Tajiri interfered for some reason.

He was a useful part of the neat little Cruiserweight scene Velocity was putting on every week back then, though!

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

The Prisoner posted:

Tajiri interfered for some reason.

Tajiri was plotting something nefarious.

Feel free to use this to explain anything Tajiri has ever done in the past, present or future.

Pat Clements
Feb 10, 2008

Jerusalem posted:

Feel free to use this to explain anything Tajiri has ever done in the past, present or future.
I found the match on YouTube and Tajiri (who is on guest commentary) does indeed make a nefarious face before interfering and kicking Rey in the head. He was the in the middle of repeatedly screwing Rey out of matches and also wanted to get Dragon to join Kyo Dai, which is what his organization with Akio/Jimmy Yang and Sakoda became after Tajiri balked on the Yakuza gimmick.

Anyhow, that was the closest they ever got to doing anything with Dragon.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Shame, I really think Dragon could've been big in the WWE with just a bare minimum of extra effort and confidence from creative. Did he at least continue to have a decent career back in Japan afterwards?

Jerusalem posted:

Whoever he operated on while posing as a surgeon must've gotten hosed up.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Delsaber posted:

Whoever he operated on while posing as a surgeon must've gotten hosed up.

When Tajiri's wife was walking down the aisle, she was looking at him through her veil and thinking,"This sonofabitch is up to something."

Claytor
Dec 5, 2011

Combination of him having lost a step by the time he got there, a lack of reactions, Vince being impulsive beyond sanity, and also hating cruiserweights. The original plan was to do Rey vs Dragon, posisbly at WM, IIRC.

The story I'd heard was that the reason behind Ultimo Dragon's run was that he had decided that his career wouldn't be complete without a Wrestlemania appearance, and WWE was happy to accommodate him.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Jerusalem posted:

When Tajiri's wife was walking down the aisle, she was looking at him through her veil and thinking,"This sonofabitch is up to something."

Tajiri, standing at the altar, waiting for his opportunity to kick the priest in the head.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

To answer the earlier question, I was really happy when Cena came back and won the WHC. He could stop dominating the main event and just have fun midcard programs and sell merch and have pretty good matches without killing the pushes of everybody who was starting to get over.

It was exactly the right place for him right now, and it lasted exactly one pay-per-view.

That being said, I think many shared my sentiments as the boos for the guy have dropped off, and his promo on Monday is one of my favorites he's ever given, largely because I think there was some truth to it. I really do think he resents that Orton was picked as The Guy over him, even though he clearly went on to become The Guy.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

How much of Cena's better reception since his return from injury is due to people being so fed up with Orton, realistically speaking?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Aurain posted:

How much of Cena's better reception since his return from injury is due to people being so fed up with Orton, realistically speaking?

Not a lot, he's stepped up his game a lot in the ring, was putting on legitimately fun to watch matches, and had nothing to DO with Orton.

I mean a better comparison would have been ADR but that didn't change anything. He didn't replace Orton on TV or join his program until right now, he did his own thing.

I mean if he had replaced Orton as WWE Champion, you may have a point. But Orton was still there, doing his thing in all the spots he did his thing.

If you mean "How much of the better reception is he getting now due to people being so fed up with Orton they would rather see him unify the belts" That might be a fair bit.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Onmi posted:

Not a lot, he's stepped up his game a lot in the ring, was putting on legitimately fun to watch matches, and had nothing to DO with Orton.

yeah I'm glad that guy who had several of the best WWE matches of the year finally stepped up

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
Q: What determines if a non-major PPV gets a Blu-Ray release or not? Looking back, the 2012 TLC show was actually pretty good, and I wouldn't mind dropping ~$10 on a Blu-Ray of the show. The only available release is a British one, though. Blu-Ray.com doesn't say if it works in a US player, though.

What the hell?

Sprint
Feb 4, 2006
Has anyone won the Tag Team titles with more different partners with Kane? It seems like he had a tag team run with a partner every other year.

IronCladBurrito
Aug 11, 2002

Excuse me, is this where the bitches are found?

Sprint posted:

Has anyone won the Tag Team titles with more different partners with Kane? It seems like he had a tag team run with a partner every other year.

No, Kane's got the record I think, but he actually JUST took the lead in that race when he won the belts with Bryan. Before that he was tied with Edge.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

IronCladBurrito posted:

No, Kane's got the record I think, but he actually JUST took the lead in that race when he won the belts with Bryan. Before that he was tied with Edge.

Wasn't he also actually "the tag team champions" around 2002?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Delsaber posted:

The run was more for him than it was for WWE. He sought them out for a deal, got it, three of his clauses in his contract upon signing was he wanted to wrestle at Wrestlemania, wrestle in MSG, and get more focus on the cruiserweight division. The first two, they clearly gave him, the third one is such a judgment call, but WWE has their mentality when it comes to guys who aren't white and not at least 6'1".

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Red posted:

Q: What determines if a non-major PPV gets a Blu-Ray release or not? Looking back, the 2012 TLC show was actually pretty good, and I wouldn't mind dropping ~$10 on a Blu-Ray of the show. The only available release is a British one, though. Blu-Ray.com doesn't say if it works in a US player, though.

What the hell?

From looking at Amazon, the UK blu-ray releases are coded to region B2 which is Europe. The dvd releases all used to be region 0 though, so not entirely sure why they started region locking the blu-rays.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

VogeGandire posted:

Tajiri, standing at the altar, waiting for his opportunity to kick the priest in the head.

You may mist the bride.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

John Cena posted:

The run was more for him than it was for WWE. He sought them out for a deal, got it, three of his clauses in his contract upon signing was he wanted to wrestle at Wrestlemania, wrestle in MSG, and get more focus on the cruiserweight division. The first two, they clearly gave him, the third one is such a judgment call, but WWE has their mentality when it comes to guys who aren't white and not at least 6'1".

Then he tripped on the stage because he was too giddy to get out there.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Cardboard Box posted:

yeah I'm glad that guy who had several of the best WWE matches of the year finally stepped up

Remember I only returned to wrestling after Summerslam I've been out for a while.

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.
What were the reasons behind Verne Gagne not wanting to put the title on Hogan?

And is the thing about asking Hogan to marry his daughter real?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Red posted:

Gagne was a "wrestling" guy, and as such, didn't think Hogan had what it took in that regard. There was also arguments about payoffs, specifically with Gagne wanting a cut of Hogan's Japan pay. I believe Hogan also claimed Gagne wanted him to marry Gagne's daughter.

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Dec 9, 2013

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Red posted:

If he put the belt on Hogan he would have lost his champion to Vince and Hogan toured Japan with NJPW while Gagne was alligned with AJPW. The main thing is once Hogan got hot it was not a secret Vince was eyeing him, and it would have been bad news to make him THE GUY.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Is there any reason why Guerrero's name was consistently spelled Eddy in WCW and Eddie in WWE?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Gagne was a "wrestling" guy, and as such, didn't think Hogan had what it took in that regard. There was also arguments about payoffs, specifically with Gagne wanting a cut of Hogan's Japan pay. I believe Hogan also claimed Gagne wanted him to marry Gagne's daughter.

I could believe the rest of this post, from what I've heard about Gagne. But honestly, that last bit sounds like typical Hogan aggrandizement and made me :rolleyes: pretty hard. Why, if Gagne doesn't think Hogan "has it", would he want to have the man as his son-in-law?

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."
I was rewatching the latest OSW Review in which they go into the history of WCW and it got me wondering: who made out the best from the whole WCW fiasco? Many folks made great money while there, but I can't think of anyone that really came out of it especially well aside from maybe DDP, Savage and Hogan (before he lost it all).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

What are you asking, who made a lot of money? I mean Goldberg made more than DDP, at least. Nash made a shitload. Who was kayfabe protected by the end?