Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Grrr. Had an awesome first mission on impossible, only to get the forest construction map for the abduction. That map is just not fun at all.

I like to do weapon fragments > meld > beam, then either foundry or xeno-biology and then whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

dyzzy posted:

Grrr. Had an awesome first mission on impossible, only to get the forest construction map for the abduction. That map is just not fun at all.

I like to do weapon fragments > meld > beam, then either foundry or xeno-biology and then whatever.

I've seen this set a lot and I still don't understand the weapon frags before meld. Is it because meld isn't guaranteed or is there a tangible benefit to weapon frags other than unlocking lasers that I've forgotten?

apostateCourier
Oct 9, 2012

I'm enjoying multiplayer all over again. A single maxed-out punchy MEC with a Lurker sniper makes for fun times. I just played a match against four light plasma-toting supports, destroyed the first one with reaction fire and proceeded to punch all of the others to death. One tried to hide on the bar. That did not save her.

This game is fantastic, single player or multi.

Paul.Power
Feb 7, 2009

The three roles of APCs:
Transports.
Supply trucks.
Distractions.

FoolyCharged posted:

I've seen this set a lot and I still don't understand the weapon frags before meld. Is it because meld isn't guaranteed or is there a tangible benefit to weapon frags other than unlocking lasers that I've forgotten?
There's SCOPEs, I guess. Can't think of anything else offhand, though.

Wiggly Wayne DDS
Sep 11, 2010

Paul.Power posted:

There's SCOPEs, I guess. Can't think of anything else offhand, though.
Never underestimate +10 Aim.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
bleh, I can't seem to crack Impossible. You get some of the most ridiculous LoS activating Sectoid packs from across the map, then either you trade fire with them at 70 yards or you try and close distance and trigger every single other pack in the process. Half the maps just really profoundly suck on Impossible, since Sectoids can quite comfortably use low cover whereas your dudes will get murdered if they try, because Sectoids can mindmerge for ridiculous aim and zerg rush you whereas your rookies are a couple notches below being legally blind.

On the good maps though it is really very fun (e.g. the auto shop). XCOM's battlescape actually feels like a strategy game and not a flowchart.

Legendary Ptarmigan
Sep 21, 2007

Need a light?

FoolyCharged posted:

It's a combination of SCOPEs and the first month's money crunch. You generally don't have enough cash to build one of the labs and start upgrading dudes until the beginning of month 2, so you can afford to wait a bit on the meld research. This also gives you time to get more cash to excavate if you need to so that you can put your labs in a sensible place.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Man training roulette sucks sometimes. What is my squadsight, sentinel, opportunist sniper supposed to do with Grenadier?

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

TheIncredulousHulk posted:

I don't know, but there should be. I was ranking up a new Assault earlier today, and her last name was Warren. The nickname she got was "Wardog."

Wardog Warren.

My other soldiers are not creative.
I gave a soldier the last name Rose after a friend of mine and she got nicknamed 'Axle.'

e:

Away all Goats posted:

Man training roulette sucks sometimes. What is my squadsight, sentinel, opportunist sniper supposed to do with Grenadier?

It should work on Ghost Grenades, right?

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Senethro posted:

What tech orders do people use on Impossible? And do you do the thing where you ignore the first scout but shoot down the big one?

My experience of Impossible is 4 tightly clustered guys sneaking about maps with the smallest moves possible trying to activate packs one at a time. It just felt so gimmicky and more about managing lines of sight and aggro than actual shooting or positioning. If there's a correct way to more aggressively play Impossible I'd like to know it.

EW changes the tech order somewhat because research takes longer.

If you're satellite rushing, the strategy is no different than EU. First abduction, take engineers, start a Workshop ASAP, sell off everything you have to build 2-3 satellites. Then hope that your UFO comes before the 17th so you'll have enough bux to buy your Uplink. If you do this in EW, Beams will take ~41 days to complete after you finish researching Weapon Fragments if you have only 5 scientists.

If you want to rush Beams, take scientists at your first abduction, build a Laboratory ASAP, then build 1 satellite if you have any money left over. Once your Lab completes Beams will finish within a few days of the first of May. However, you will be somewhat screwed if you don't get a mission with an engineer reward in April or early May, because to build a Laser Rifle you need 12 engineers, and since you're focusing so much on finishing Beams, you'll have only 5 or 6 engineers. And plan to lose at least 3-4 countries in April if you use this method.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Goddammit, I just had Confounding Light bug on me again where the moving soldier into place to activate the drive didn't end the mission! Maybe it's because I moved him before Bradford said I had a new objective? I moved the guy to the drive controls, and then it made me move the other two before failing me.

It was my best ironman classic so far, and I lost two good guys on that mission.

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Dec 7, 2013

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

FoolyCharged posted:

Just scopes, and I don't think that's worth it over early genemods/MECs.

Wiggly Wayne DDS posted:

Never underestimate +10 Aim.
I don't, but at the start of the game where this discussion matters, I'd pretty much always want another grenade over a scope

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Dr Christmas posted:

Goddammit, I just had Confounding Light bug on me again where the moving soldier into place to activate the drive didn't end the mission! Maybe it's because I moved him before Bradford said I had a new objective? I moved the guy to the drive controls, and then it made me move the other two before failing me.

It was my best ironman classic so far, and I lost two good guys on that mission.

Had that happen to me before, too. I moved the guy while Bradford was talking and didn't win, but I was able to run another into the area and activate the controls with them. Now I try not to complete objectives and such while Bradford's talking.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Ravenfood posted:

I don't, but at the start of the game where this discussion matters, I'd pretty much always want another grenade over a scope

I keep grenades on everyone until I get a squadsight sniper.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
My Classic Ironman is going better in the battlescape aside from a rough start and the Confounding light bug, but man I'm getting my rear end kicked by the abduction rewards. I lost France my second month, despite having to pick scientists or soldiers for my reward to manage panic. The first terror mission went well, but it didn't happen on a continent that would could have used the panic reduction. Also, a high-ranked assault needed to be stabilized after I didn't move him away from an exploding tanks.I had enough resources to build a satellite nexus in the third month, but not enough engineers. I "settled" for an uplink.

I made some dumb goescape mistakes to compound this. I had satellites over every country in Asia except Australia. When an abduction mission came up, Australia, in the red, was one of the three, so I went to a lower panic country with a money reward. I didn't consider that this would push China and India into the red too, and since they had coverage, there was no way to save them, though I got lucky with China staying.
The second was, thinking I'd be set up to make the nexus in month three, I made 5 satellites, and now I wonder if the money was wasted.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Ravenfood posted:

Just scopes, and I don't think that's worth it over early genemods/MECs.

Personally I don't get the scopes right away, it's just an order that works well with my geoscape timing. In early month one I'm spending every scrap I can on satellites so a cyberbay is out of the question.

Those On My Left
Jun 25, 2010

Autsj posted:

Ethereals don't show up until the Overseer mission, they're a plot-triggered enemy like the sectoid commanders.

... Weird, I must just be misremembering. At this point I have done every bit of research. It seems odd that the ethereals are only showing up now.

spacemanspliff
Jan 12, 2008
One with Lavos and Zohar

dyzzy posted:

Personally I don't get the scopes right away, it's just an order that works well with my geoscape timing. In early month one I'm spending every scrap I can on satellites so a cyberbay is out of the question.

I submitted to masochism and resolved not to use explosives for the whole playthrough, intending to maximize salvage. I don't recommend this to human players :(

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
Trying Impclassic EW, but it isn't happening. Log said it installed ok:

quote:

[INFO]> ==========XCOMModHelper========
[INFO]> Attempting to Locate XCOM Root Directory
[INFO]> Found XCOM Root Directory of [ C:\Fast Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown ]
[INFO]> Backup Target Directory is [ C:\Fast Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Backup ]
[INFO]> Decompressed UPK Folder [ C:\Fast Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\UpkUnpacked ]
[INFO]> Decompressed UPK Output Directory does not exist, creating
[INFO]> Patching [1] Targets
[INFO]> Patching Target [ C:\Fast Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe ]
[INFO]> Applying Patch [ Read DefaultGameCore.ini from Config Folder ]
[INFO]> Applying Patch at Index [ 21463792 ]
[INFO]> Patch Successfully Applied [ Read DefaultGameCore.ini from Config Folder ]
[INFO]> File [ C:\Fast Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe ] Backed up to [ C:\Fast Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe ]
[INFO]> Saving Changes to [ C:\Fast Steam\steamapps\common\XCom-Enemy-Unknown\XEW\Binaries\Win32\XComEW.exe ]
[INFO]> Finished

But I fire up Impossible and the Sectoids have 4 hp. Any ideas?

Stefan
Jan 2, 2001

Senethro posted:

What tech orders do people use on Impossible? And do you do the thing where you ignore the first scout but shoot down the big one?

My experience of Impossible is 4 tightly clustered guys sneaking about maps with the smallest moves possible trying to activate packs one at a time. It just felt so gimmicky and more about managing lines of sight and aggro than actual shooting or positioning. If there's a correct way to more aggressively play Impossible I'd like to know it.

Xeno -> Arc -> Weapon Fragments -> Interrogate Sectoid -> All Lasers

Take Scientists first, engies second if available. Game is a lot easier once you have a sniper with lasers, and this build gets it fast.

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Stefan posted:

Xeno -> Arc -> Weapon Fragments -> Interrogate Sectoid -> All Lasers

Gonna try this out and see how it plays. I'm getting tired of the satellite rush mentality.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Hey does anyone know what happens if you lose the plot-specific countries for Slingshot and Progeny? That's China and France respectively. Do you still go on the missions into Alien-held countries or does losing them kill your plotline progress?

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

jng2058 posted:

Hey does anyone know what happens if you lose the plot-specific countries for Slingshot and Progeny? That's China and France respectively. Do you still go on the missions into Alien-held countries or does losing them kill your plotline progress?

I don't think losing the country kills the mission chain, if exalt cells in lost countries are any indication. However, that's entirely speculation on my part

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Goddamn base defense, give me my SHIVs! What am I supposed to do with a squaddie sniper? :argh:

Since I haven't encountered muton elites yet at least I don't have to face that or sectopods.. Instead the game threw ~10 mechtoids at me, and none of my dudes have HEAT.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Does anyone play with Marathon enabled? Does it make the game harder or easier?

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Collateral Damage posted:

Goddamn base defense, give me my SHIVs! What am I supposed to do with a squaddie sniper? :argh:

Since I haven't encountered muton elites yet at least I don't have to face that or sectopods.. Instead the game threw ~10 mechtoids at me, and none of my dudes have HEAT.

The mission takes your top 6 available characters by rank. Alas, SHIVs are ranked lower even than Rookies so unless almost your whole team is in the hospital, Psi Lab, Gene Lab, or Cyber Lab you won't get one for Base Defense. Which is a shame because what good are automated drones if they don't patrol your base?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Two mechtoids just wiped out 4 of my soldiers in one round. 4 shots against guys behind tall cover on high ground, 4 crits. It's bullshit like that that makes me refuse to play Ironman.

nnnotime
Sep 30, 2001

Hesitate, and you will be lost.

Darkrenown posted:

Trying Impclassic EW, but it isn't happening. Log said it installed ok:

But I fire up Impossible and the Sectoids have 4 hp. Any ideas?
The batch file you ran does not copy over the modified INI files (two of them), so the game may still be using the original DefaultGameCore.ini file. Check to see that you copied over the updated INI files into the EW game's config folder (the full instructions are in the mod's readme file).

nnnotime fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 8, 2013

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

poptart_fairy posted:

My black guys keep getting lumbered with 'Congo'. Bradford please step into my office. :catstare:

Actually that said, I would unironically enjoy a version of XCOM where you're lumbered with the actual command side of things - paperwork, commendations, administration a poo poo ton of indirect busy work that an actual commander would be bogged down by rather than micro-managing the boots on the ground.

UFO enemy unknown? :v:

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

nnnotime posted:

The batch file you ran does not copy over the modified INI files (two of them), so the game may still be using the original DefaultGameCore.ini file. Check to see that you copied over the updated INI files into the EW game's config folder (the full instructions are in the mod's readme file).

Whups, was in the EU config folder. Thanks.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I had a 100% miss bug kill my I/I/War Fatigue run.

Sylphosaurus
Sep 6, 2007
Goddamn, gently caress the capturing mechanic. I've had 10+ capture attemts fail in consecutive order, even when they've been at least at 3 pips of health.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM

Away all Goats posted:

Does anyone play with Marathon enabled? Does it make the game harder or easier?

It makes the game a lot harder because, basically, it takes longer to get satellite coverage to manage panic so you get owned by RNG bad.

I/I/Marathon for example is pure RNG. If you get a bomb defuse as your first council mission - pretty much impossible to beat without reloading whoring - and your first terror missiont isn't in a continent with panicking countries AND you don't beat it well enough to reduce panic...you lose at the strategic level.

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

Sylphosaurus posted:

Goddamn, gently caress the capturing mechanic. I've had 10+ capture attemts fail in consecutive order, even when they've been at least at 3 pips of health.

Ideally you want them at 1 health.

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

oswald ownenstein posted:

It makes the game a lot harder because, basically, it takes longer to get satellite coverage to manage panic so you get owned by RNG bad.

I/I/Marathon for example is pure RNG. If you get a bomb defuse as your first council mission - pretty much impossible to beat without reloading whoring - and your first terror missiont isn't in a continent with panicking countries AND you don't beat it well enough to reduce panic...you lose at the strategic level.

I managed to do a vanilla classic Marathon run, but I do not recommend that. If you want to do Marathon use Implassic with the normal geoscape, otherwise it is atrocious. And as stated it makes council missions the hardest thing in game. Granted I like it so I can OCD on all my alien captures, and you reach a point where your research starts to take off and you can beat the aliens. So it makes it harder before it gets easier if that makes any sense.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I wish the council would give me some Meld each month, I know those faceless assholes are filling swimming pools with it if they can afford 1200+ Simoleons every month. Gimme that alien Tang!

Brotato Broth
Feb 21, 2012
What's the ideal number of teams to keep around towards the endgame? Heal times are getting atrociously long and I want to stop skipping missions because of personnel shortages.

I'm not this terrible at strategy games but this game's just loving inscrutable for me, what with getting spotted from impossible ranges and losing all my ranked dudes in a bullshit surprise defense mission.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

Brotato Broth posted:

What's the ideal number of teams to keep around towards the endgame? Heal times are getting atrociously long and I want to stop skipping missions because of personnel shortages.

I'm not this terrible at strategy games but this game's just loving inscrutable for me, what with getting spotted from impossible ranges and losing all my ranked dudes in a bullshit surprise defense mission.

What difficulty are you playing on?

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Haha, it's time for Gangplank, and I'm having the worst luck with class distribution. I got two snipers, an assault, a support, one MEC, and nothing but Heavies. No rookies left either, all the ones I have turned out to be heavies. Only one laser cannon, too, which Zhang gets to hold on to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
I don't get what's wrong with that class distribution.

Heavies are the best class.

• Locked thread