Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GrizzlyCow
May 30, 2011
Sometimes their server is poo poo. Seems to happen with increasing frequency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

I discovered the reason lots of enchants don't work on NPCs is because they lack the perk that actually applies the effect. Like a sword of One Hand +20 will give them more one hand skill but npcs lack the perk to actually get any benefit out of having more one hand skill (which is also news to me). So I whipped up a skyproc patcher that gives the perks to all npcs. I don't have a setup to actually test it though so I don't know if its really fixing things but I figured goons might be interested/be able to tell if it works.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Specto posted:

I feel kind of stupid for asking, but is the nexus supposed to be giving me 404 messages when I try to go farther then the home page? I can't get into any of the specific game sections, yet alone skyrim mods. Just "The requested URL /skyrim/mods/5485/ was not found on this server." Same for any other mod.
They did some work on the Nexus' servers earlier this week which was supposed to improve performance and whatnot, but as is usual for the Nexus just ended up causing more problems and they've been doing maintenance since then. One amusing little problem was that the NMM ended up DDoS'ing the Nexus's webservers (no idea how they managed to do that by accident, especially since they had that bug happen once before).

If you get 404 or other errors, just wait an hour or so and try again. You'll get used to it: It's all part of the Nexus experience.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Dec 5, 2013

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
The Nexus' servers are run by retards who have no idea how to load balance, this is nothing new.

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.

Raygereio posted:

They did some work on the Nexus' servers earlier this week which was supposed to improve performance and whatnot, but as is usual for the Nexus just ended up causing more problems and they've been doing maintenance since then. One amusing little problem was that the NMM ended up DDoS'ing the Nexus's webservers (no idea how they managed to do that by accident, especially since they had that bug happen once before).

If you get 404 or other errors, just wait an hour or so and try again. You'll get used to it: It's all part of the Nexus experience.
:stare:

I never thought I'd hear a about someone successfully managing to DDoS themselves.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Hey, thread, I was hoping for an honest opinion on Arthmoor's newer mod, Storefront. It appears to be exactly what I have always wanted: A player-run shop that requires some investment (in the form of a spouse to run it for you) on your part before you can open it up. Does anyone have any personal experience with it yet?

Titty Warlord
Apr 28, 2013
Yeah your spouse becomes a used oblivion gate salesman.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life
Anyone played SkyRealism? Thinking I want to try Morrowloot, so going to get rid of Requiem on my next playthrough, need a replacement overhaul.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I broke skyrim forever ago and I can't even remember what it was that broke it. So I'm going to reinstall, but I have a lot of mods I'd want to use again.

Is it worth trying to keep the mods I have in NMM? It's been about a year since I've played. I'm worried some of them may have vanished into the nexus abyss never to be seen again. I'm also worried that trying to import half of them and update the other half is going to break my mind before it approaches working. Is there a good way to selectively transfer mods? They seem to be locked up and I don't know if the mod files it has stored are of specific install options or what.

ANIME IS BLOOD
Sep 4, 2008

by zen death robot
The more I see people baffled by ENB looking like poo poo the more convinced I become: for regular play just run Climates of Skyrim; ENB is so Nexusites can make pretty screenshots for their anime waifu companion mods.

Mod Organizer status: still amazing. Really wish that I had just used that from the get-go instead of Nexus Mod Manager; if you're still on the fence about using it hop off and just do it already.

kaschei posted:

I broke skyrim forever ago and I can't even remember what it was that broke it. So I'm going to reinstall, but I have a lot of mods I'd want to use again.

Is it worth trying to keep the mods I have in NMM? It's been about a year since I've played. I'm worried some of them may have vanished into the nexus abyss never to be seen again. I'm also worried that trying to import half of them and update the other half is going to break my mind before it approaches working. Is there a good way to selectively transfer mods? They seem to be locked up and I don't know if the mod files it has stored are of specific install options or what.

This is your opportunity to upgrade to Mod Organizer, friend. In the mean time, you can open a save file as a text file, then do a search for .esp. The mod list should be loaded in there (albeit with weird-rear end line breaks) but it should tell you exactly what you were running at the time. Try googling ESPs and hopefully you'll find a copy of whatever you were running floating around out there, and you should be able to shed mods that aren't too scripty without too much fuss.

Cat Mattress posted:

I kinda hesitate about installing the unofficial patches because I don't always agree with the Skyrim community on what definition of what a bug is. For example wearing archmage's robes and mage's circlet together is deemed a bug for some reason which probably makes sense to a particularly spergy martian, but is just downright incomprehensible to me. Or J'zargo being a useful follower is also deemed a bug. I wish patches would be happy just fixing serious actual bugs (savegame corruption, quests that fail when you succeed, etc.) instead of trying to balance the game -- as if the concept of balance had any legitimacy in a Bethesda game anyway.

Then make a mod to fix it or get one of the many available that do just that? Not everything is Gategate, and poo-pooing the UOPs for something you can fix easily is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

In other "lol nexus" news, I saw this and thought to myself "say, this looks promising! cool original headpi- oh" as my eyes scanned down. Would it seriously kill someone to make a decent, not-stripperific robe mod? Tribunal Robes is pretty much the only one with new meshes that I've ever seen and that's it. It's so depressing.

ANIME IS BLOOD fucked around with this message at 05:16 on Dec 6, 2013

TheAsterite
Dec 31, 2008
I figured out what was wrong. I was editing the wrong skyrimprefs.ini file. The mod organizer has its own copy that I had to modify.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I've installed most of the stuff I found interesting in the OP, and everything seems to be working ok except weather. I've experienced three "natural storms" so far, and they've all be clouds and thunder/lightning, but with zero actual rain. I did the "quick test" suggested on Supreme Storms http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/27022/ and it kinda worked. The blizzards seems fine, but the test rainstorm looked like hardly a sprinkle.

My load order is at the bottom, pretty much the BOSS default. I unchecked the Consistent Stars thing to see if that would have any effect, it didn't. The only thing missing in the screen shot is skyrim.esm, update.esm, and unofficial Skyrim patch.esp at the very top of the list. All the mods were downloaded over the past 2 or 3 days. I checked the weather mod pages on the Nexus, and am following all the load order advice listed there, except for the "Weather Patch for CoT - Fog and Overcast Weathers" page, which is down. Am I wrong to think hiding the description page and comments of a mod because the author is going to update it soon is mindboggling stupid, even for the Nexus?

Edit: It's probably worth noting I didn't bother with ENB at all.

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

The Mad Archivist posted:

In other "lol nexus" news, I saw this and thought to myself "say, this looks promising! cool original headpi- oh" as my eyes scanned down. Would it seriously kill someone to make a decent, not-stripperific robe mod? Tribunal Robes is pretty much the only one with new meshes that I've ever seen and that's it. It's so depressing.

It looks like the Golden Saint armor, so it's Lore Friendly :v:

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Bholder posted:

It looks like the Golden Saint armor, so it's Lore Friendly :v:

CHIM means that all mods are lore friendly.
All of them.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

The Mad Archivist posted:

I'm not terribly surprised by armor with all the naughty bits hanging out anymore, but what gets me is that one of the three screenshots at the top is just a picture of Solitude with a dead rat in there. Why is that there for the titty robe mod?

Hamburger Test
Jul 2, 2007

Sure hope this works!

i am tim! posted:

I'm not terribly surprised by armor with all the naughty bits hanging out anymore, but what gets me is that one of the three screenshots at the top is just a picture of Solitude with a dead rat in there. Why is that there for the titty robe mod?
It's the location:

quote:

You can retrieve this armor in a chest between the Winking Skeever and Angeline's Aromatics at solitude.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

I'm having some Crash To Desktop issues and I'm wondering if mods could be causing it, they're occurring reliably when I'm approaching Solitude.

My addon list is;
- Unofficial fixes for Skyrim and expansions
- Sky UI
- SKSE
- Climates of Tamriel, Consistent Stars and Fog fixes
- Immersive Armors
- Immersive Animations
- Enhanced Blood
- Skyrim HD (just the "Full - Misc" package)
- WATER

I've also made a small change to the .ini file, setting the following;
- uGridsToLoad=9
- uExterior Cell Buffer=100

I've tried loading things through BOSS but honestly I have no idea what I'm looking for.

Is there anything I should try out to get it sorted?
Most of the time the game is fine but sometimes, boom, crash to desktop.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
Isn't that a pretty high uGridsToLoad? Take it down a notch.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

Oh?

Honestly I thought that was the least of my problems, I had Googled around and found a guide and it seemed safe.
I'll drop it to 7, hopefully that'll stop the crashes.

Cheers!

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

King Faraday posted:

Oh?

Honestly I thought that was the least of my problems, I had Googled around and found a guide and it seemed safe.
I'll drop it to 7, hopefully that'll stop the crashes.

Cheers!

It's generally ill-advised to drop u-grids unless you plan to start a new game.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

It's generally ill-advised to drop u-grids unless you plan to start a new game.

You can drop ugrids, it's just a bit of a tedious process.

Load up your skyrim save and open up the SkyrimPrefs or Skyrim INI file (whichever has the ugrids setting). Load the save, and once you do, tab out to the INI file and change the ugridstoload setting. Then tab back into the game and type in refreshini. That should enable the new saved value ingame.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000
You can't just lower it without doing a bit of work:

http://forums.nexusmods.com/index.php?/topic/526550-how-to-reset-ugrids-to-load-to-lower-setting/

I think if you follow the instructions there you'll be fine, but I've never done this myself. For reference I use a value of 7 and that works pretty well for me.

King Faraday
May 22, 2009

I shifted the uGridsToLoad using a console command, this one;

setini "ugridstoload:general" 7
saveini
refreshini

But now I'm getting that red-tint menu and game crash on load, is it recoverable?

Edit: oh, it was 'saveini' that made everything wrong, back to normal now. That was an interesting half hour.

King Faraday fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Dec 7, 2013

Kamer Kamer Cola
Dec 25, 2009
Are there any modpacks similar to FCOM for Oblivion?

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

I just reinstalled, so far I have only the DLCs, hires pack, and SKSE. I ran it without SKSE but just to see that it started fine, when I tried SKSE I noticed one of the Thalmor looked weird, and when I got to character creation I saw that the legate or whatever who callously orders your death has no textures on her body armour:

I guess I'll... verify cache while I sleep? I just downloaded this stuff. Ugh. What else could be causing the problem?
edit:verifying took less time than I remember, and this is fixed.

kaschei fucked around with this message at 10:10 on Dec 7, 2013

Gorgar
Dec 2, 2012

It looks like Nexus broke Mod Organizer by changing the urls it's supposed to use, but the new ones don't work, so they can't test any fixes. There's a thread on the S.T.E.P. Project forums, something about subdomains. Apparently skyrimnexus.com changed to nexus.com/skyrim.

I was finally going to get back to Skyrim. SPERG 4 is on the Nexus, so I guess it's out of beta?

Kaptain K
Nov 2, 2007

I must admit, I am fond of you humans.

May you enjoy serendipity,

And may the Age of Fire perpetuate.
Does anyone know of a mod that will enable me to teleport/quick travel inside my player homes with a map marker? The closest I found was one that added a map marker to the outside of player homes which doesn't save me the loading screen I'd like to avoid.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Scyantific posted:

Excellent Racials Package: A complete overhaul of the racial powers and abilities system. Each race now has three new unique abilities and two new unique powers.
This (from the OP) seems to have been supplanted by Resplendent Racials -- is this similarly recommended? I don't know how different the mods are.

Last problem, really going to bed, SPERG.esp shows up orange in Wrye Bash:

Something about re-ordered masters? I don't know what it's really complaining about and I don't know if I should worry or how to fix it.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

kaschei posted:

Something about re-ordered masters? I don't know what it's really complaining about and I don't know if I should worry or how to fix it.
The order in which the SPERG's masters are listed in the plugin's fileheader, is different then the order those masterfiles have in your loadorder.

For example if your loadorder has:
Skyrim.esm
ModA.esm
ModB.esm
And a plugin lists its masters as:
Skyrim.esm
ModB.esm
ModA.esm
WryeBash will complain. No idea why because as far as I know this doesn't cause any problems ingame. But if you want to get rid of the errors, load SPERG in TES5Edit and after it has finished loading, right-click on SPERG.esp and select "Sort Masters".

LtSmash
Dec 18, 2005

Will we next create false gods to rule over us? How proud we have become, and how blind.

-Sister Miriam Godwinson,
"We Must Dissent"

Raygereio posted:

WryeBash will complain. No idea why because as far as I know this doesn't cause any problems ingame. But if you want to get rid of the errors, load SPERG in TES5Edit and after it has finished loading, right-click on SPERG.esp and select "Sort Masters".

For skyrim its basically a non-issue to have out of order masters. I think the games have always handled them correctly but some 3rd party tools got confused. I'm pretty sure all the tools for skyrim properly handle them but at one point older tools would get confused and use assets from the wrong file.

You can reorder them in wrye bash as well. Select SPERG then click the little window on the right that lists the masters and then it might be on the right click menu in there. Then press the save button under the masters window.

Proletarian Mango
May 21, 2011

Is there a way to install Skywind through Mod Organizer?

Disappointing Pie
Feb 7, 2006
Words cannot describe what a disaster the pie was.
Is there a good walkthrough of essential mods/how to install them for a guy whose never really modded his games before and just wants to have an awesome Skyrim experience for the might as well be first time? I've played Skyrim before but when it very first came out and only for a few hours.

I've read through the OP and picked out a few mods but it's not really clear which ones are the most recommended.

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Generally speaking, you'll want to do your first Skyrim run with as few mods as possible, that way you know exactly what you want to change about the game.

My recommendations for a first timer usually come down to:
-Unofficial Patches
-SkyUI
-Weapons and Armor Fixes
-Clothing & Clutter Fixes
-Even Better Quest Objectives
-Run For Your Lives
-When Vampires Attack
-Better Dialogue Controls
-Better Message Controls
-No Poison Dialogues
-Brawl Bugs Patch
-Timing Is Everything
-The Choice is Yours (so your quest log doesn't clutter up)
-Smart Souls/Aquisitive Soul Gems
-Thieves Guild Requirements (So you don't get roped into the Thieves Guild automatically)
-Bounty Gold (optional)
-Faster Mining
-Guard Dialogue Overhaul (no new dialogue, just makes them use existing stuff correctly)
-Static Mesh Improvement Mod (makes things look worlds better)

Most of these are things that make some of the glaring flaws of the game a bit less harsh (such as getting tossed into the Thieves Guild questline your first time in Riften), or making sure that vital NPCs stay alive during Vampire/Dragon attacks.

As for installing them, you'll want to install Mod Organizer, and install your mods through there. MO has a quick walkthrough the first time you start it up, and there are videos and links on how to use it and other mods in the OP.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Upmarket Mango posted:

Is there a way to install Skywind through Mod Organizer?

Not sure but uh, I can't really recommend Skywind right now unless you have a pressing need to see the terrain in a slightly nicer light than MGO will give you.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
So how do I actually use Dragon Souls Relinquishment to get perks? I'm at the dragon stone at High Hrothgar and I can only choose from Shout CD/Power, Unarmed Damage, stats and carry weight.

Ernie Muppari
Aug 4, 2012

Keep this up G'Bert, and soon you won't have a pigeon to protect!
Oh my god, Nexus modders could be slightly less completely incapable of communicating any useful information whatsoever. They could also organize their files at all. :psyduck:

Inverness
Feb 4, 2009

Fully configurable personal assistant.
Does anyone have any reviews of the Character Creation Overhaul mod?

I like how it makes skill leveling more like Morrowind or Oblivion where your major skills start at decent levels. But, when combined with SPERG, it seems unbalancing since at level 1 you're already anywhere from 25-40 when it comes to major skills. Combine this with apocalypse spell pack and scaled damage spells, and you're doing a good job of steamrolling people. I'm not sure if I just want to raise the difficulty level to Legendary, or remove CCO and recalculate my skills and such to what they would be at my current level normally.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?

Inverness posted:

Does anyone have any reviews of the Character Creation Overhaul mod?

I like how it makes skill leveling more like Morrowind or Oblivion where your major skills start at decent levels. But, when combined with SPERG, it seems unbalancing since at level 1 you're already anywhere from 25-40 when it comes to major skills. Combine this with apocalypse spell pack and scaled damage spells, and you're doing a good job of steamrolling people. I'm not sure if I just want to raise the difficulty level to Legendary, or remove CCO and recalculate my skills and such to what they would be at my current level normally.

That was basically my assessment. Starting with almost adept level of your +10 racial just felt really cheap, like I was skipping almost all the novice and apprentice level spells. I ended up ditching it and just setting my base carry weight to 100-150 depending on build.

Edit V: Yeah, but you probably aren't a fiend for RPness like I am. Plus I can use my bandoleers without turning myself into a walking armoire.

graynull fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 8, 2013

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

graynull posted:

That was basically my assessment. Starting with almost adept level of your +10 racial just felt really cheap, like I was skipping almost all the novice and apprentice level spells. I ended up ditching it and just setting my base carry weight to 100-150 depending on build.

player.forceav carryweight 1000 was the first command I ever used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nika
Aug 9, 2013

like i was tanqueray
Didn't there used to be a "Post your character" thread? I liked lurking and seeing all the stuff people came up with . :unsmith:

• Locked thread