Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Okasvi posted:

Any comments on the changes I made to the fortune hunter or the thematic rewrite into the misfit?

Well honestly I think it's a bit vague - everything is far too broad. Your Background system is so broad that it's characterless, and I think a generic system misses the point - anyone's free to make any background which does anything you want. We've always had unlimited flexibility in flavouring the class because nothing says we can't write out own Backgrounds. Just because a Playbook offers you some backgrounds doesn't mean you're locked into picking one of them.

I think Edge is too good, and I think it's plugging too many thematic holes. Your moves come down to this: Most things you do get you Edge, and Edge can do anything. What exactly are you going for with Edge? What are you trying to evoke?

Here's the core of the class as far as I can see it: They're lucky, but they've also got immense willpower - they're crafty and opportunistic, they're resourceful under pressure. They've got an immense work ethic, but they're always broke. How's that? This is honestly a really cool class filled with lots of interesting contradictions bogged down by really bland mechanics.

Here's my suggestions: I think the Fortune Hunter-Misfit should always be on the verge of collapse. As far as I can see they're just like AW's Operator, and that's wonderful. Rather than luck, their moves are powered by personal misfortune. The closer their plans are to going up in smoke, the better they work. The Fortune Hunter's a shark - if they stop moving, they will die. It might be interesting if you could represent some cycle of poverty and opulence, binging and purging. When things are going well, they're spreading their wealth around, but they're getting complacent and they're struck down. When things are going poorly, they always dig deep and come out on top at everyone else's expense.

Every playbook has something beautiful inside it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

gnome7 posted:

Secondly, you probably shouldn't post a full PDF of The Fae in this thread, because it's being sold for money and that would be :filez:

I know madadadric already said this but I'm going to say this again:

quote:

This product is licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution 3.0 Unported License.

It's pretty important.

TwingeCrag posted:

P.S.S.S. Does anyone know a good way to host several pdf's all in one link? One of my incredibly dedicated friends spent time transposing The Stolen, The Battlemage, The Slipstream Warrior, The Imposter, The Summoner and The Fae onto the word template that was posted earlier in the thread for use in our playgroup.

Put them on dropbox, link the folder, like this: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/w4vp1zt67wurr04/6erePl1dm1

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

Well honestly I think it's a bit vague - everything is far too broad. Your Background system is so broad that it's characterless, and I think a generic system misses the point - anyone's free to make any background which does anything you want. We've always had unlimited flexibility in flavouring the class because nothing says we can't write out own Backgrounds. Just because a Playbook offers you some backgrounds doesn't mean you're locked into picking one of them.

I think Edge is too good, and I think it's plugging too many thematic holes. Your moves come down to this: Most things you do get you Edge, and Edge can do anything. What exactly are you going for with Edge? What are you trying to evoke?

Here's the core of the class as far as I can see it: They're lucky, but they've also got immense willpower - they're crafty and opportunistic, they're resourceful under pressure. They've got an immense work ethic, but they're always broke. How's that? This is honestly a really cool class filled with lots of interesting contradictions bogged down by really bland mechanics.

Here's my suggestions: I think the Fortune Hunter-Misfit should always be on the verge of collapse. As far as I can see they're just like AW's Operator, and that's wonderful. Rather than luck, their moves are powered by personal misfortune. The closer their plans are to going up in smoke, the better they work. The Fortune Hunter's a shark - if they stop moving, they will die. It might be interesting if you could represent some cycle of poverty and opulence, binging and purging. When things are going well, they're spreading their wealth around, but they're getting complacent and they're struck down. When things are going poorly, they always dig deep and come out on top at everyone else's expense.

Every playbook has something beautiful inside it!

Most of that vagueness is actually intentional. The point of the class is to be a kind of generic one that can be slotted in to any character concept. The lack of advanced moves is similarly intentional. The original inspiration for the class came when I realized that Dungeon World would work just fine without any classes at all just with the base and advanced moves. I've been trying to write the class so that it's class features don't actually do anything else other than boost the moves everyone has and allow the class to be used for any character concept from a vampire, to a wizard, to whatever else. Since a class that was just HP, load, equipment and damage die would be too underpowered. Though I might have overdone it a bit. It's a bit hard to get a handle on class power when I'm just theorycrafting, since I don't currently have anyone to play with.

E: I'll try making edge more difficult to come by or increasing the amount of negative consequences generating it requires the player to submit themselves to.

E2: How's this? I toned down edge to a +1 that you can apply after rolling instead of a result upgrade and replaced lucky streak with hanging by a thread.

Oo Koo fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Dec 5, 2013

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help

Okasvi posted:

Most of that vagueness is actually intentional. The point of the class is to be a kind of generic one that can be slotted in to any character concept. The lack of advanced moves is similarly intentional. The original inspiration for the class came when I realized that Dungeon World would work just fine without any classes at all just with the base and advanced moves. I've been trying to write the class so that it's class features don't actually do anything else other than boost the moves everyone has and allow the class to be used for any character concept from a vampire, to a wizard, to whatever else. Since a class that was just HP, load, equipment and damage die would be too underpowered. Though I might have overdone it a bit. It's a bit hard to get a handle on class power when I'm just theorycrafting, since I don't currently have anyone to play with.

E: I'll try making edge more difficult to come by or increasing the amount of negative consequences generating it requires the player to submit themselves to.

E2: How's this? I toned down edge to a +1 that you can apply after rolling instead of a result upgrade and replaced lucky streak with hanging by a thread.

I think World of Dungeons is for you.

PDF: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/3269630/dwdotcom/world_of_dungeons_1979_bw.pdf

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

I know. I like it better than dungeon world, but currently I'm only able to play pbp games here since I have no local group and Dungeon World is more common here than World of Dungeons. The Misfit is entirely an exercise in making a generic class that eliminates Dungeon World's character building minigame, minimal as it is, while working within the Dungeon World class framework.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

This is going to sound odd but does Alex Leal, the guy who did the illustrations for the DW Guide, hang out here?

Because if you do, Ryan Danks is interested in contacting you for some work.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there
You're right that was weird.

For real though, the book has cool art, glad to see a dude potentially get work from an elfgame.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Well, this is the only way I have to find out. Scrape's the one who handled all that stuff, and he seems to have vanished. :(

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

Evil Mastermind posted:

Well, this is the only way I have to find out. Scrape's the one who handled all that stuff, and he seems to have vanished. :(

I was kidding dude, don't worry about using a social networking tool for its intended purpose.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
So, I finally got to actually run this beast with a few coworkers: a couple folks who have played DnD in years past and someone altogether new to the RPG concept. It went reasonably well; I ran the Heart of the Minotaur dungeon, because I liked the concept and I wanted to have the comfort of plenty of material to throw around. It might have backfired though. I may have railroaded the players a bit too much, partly because I had trouble drawing out good ideas from the players and using them on the fly. It turned into a bit of a slugfest, mainly because the Bard kept failing music roles and I couldn't think of consequences more interesting than, "well, somebody probably heard that!". Anyway, the worst part is that everyone had fun and we discussed playing again, so I have to think about some more adventures.

I read through the Fronts section of the rules, and the guide, but I'm trying to think about them in the context of 2-4 3hr sessions. Mainly what I'm wondering is, should I even bother fleshing out a full front or two? Or should I just skip that and treat these future sessions as more one-shots? I think the answer is to make the fronts and just see how far we get in a few sessions, but I'm wondering what other people have done.

madadric
May 18, 2008

Such a BK.

PerniciousKnid posted:

So, I finally got to actually run this beast with a few coworkers: a couple folks who have played DnD in years past and someone altogether new to the RPG concept. It went reasonably well; I ran the Heart of the Minotaur dungeon, because I liked the concept and I wanted to have the comfort of plenty of material to throw around. It might have backfired though. I may have railroaded the players a bit too much, partly because I had trouble drawing out good ideas from the players and using them on the fly. It turned into a bit of a slugfest, mainly because the Bard kept failing music roles and I couldn't think of consequences more interesting than, "well, somebody probably heard that!". Anyway, the worst part is that everyone had fun and we discussed playing again, so I have to think about some more adventures.

I read through the Fronts section of the rules, and the guide, but I'm trying to think about them in the context of 2-4 3hr sessions. Mainly what I'm wondering is, should I even bother fleshing out a full front or two? Or should I just skip that and treat these future sessions as more one-shots? I think the answer is to make the fronts and just see how far we get in a few sessions, but I'm wondering what other people have done.

I play pretty much front-free and by the seat of my pants, but if you have already got a world full of things working to make life horrible then fronts are a good way to organize them. If your game doesn't have any clear antagonistic forces or major probolems the players are invested in yet, you can play absolutely fine without them, and it's very liberating!

Also, if you're having trouble thinking of different ways to introduce danger on a failed roll, break stuff. Like buildings, caverns, forests - just make the environment unstable and dangerous in some way. You can fight more orcs, but how do you fight a cave-in?

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

So, the Grim World kickstarter just updated saying that the book is now complete and ready to be sent to the printers for proofing! :toot:

Sanglorian
Apr 13, 2013

Games, games, games
Hi folks,

I've posted a new blog entry that describes my idea for a Dungeon World Compendium as well as giving a quick update on where we're at with Grim Portents 2: http://livinglibre1.wordpress.com/2013/12/07/grim-portents-2-grim-portents-3-and-the-dungeon-world-compendium/

In short, I'm looking to do something like the Pathfinder SRD, but for Dungeon World. However, I know nothing about databases or how to create websites that parse data and turn it into something that looks pretty. I'd really appreciate your feedback in that regard

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

You might try contacting the guy who did Fate SRD. It's pretty awesome.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Okasvi posted:

I know. I like it better than dungeon world, but currently I'm only able to play pbp games here since I have no local group and Dungeon World is more common here than World of Dungeons. The Misfit is entirely an exercise in making a generic class that eliminates Dungeon World's character building minigame, minimal as it is, while working within the Dungeon World class framework.

Well if that's the case wouldn't you be better off writing the playbook's mechanics as core mechanics - Edge, Professions and Vices or something - and having a game without playbooks? I might try and write a Count of Monte Cristo-Operator type playbook, though.

P.S. Gnome, one of my players picked the Rainlord and neither of us can figure out why they've got a Ward stat. What's the Rainlord got to do with warding?

Edit:

Sanglorian posted:

In short, I'm looking to do something like the Pathfinder SRD, but for Dungeon World. However, I know nothing about databases or how to create websites that parse data and turn it into something that looks pretty. I'd really appreciate your feedback in that regard

Oh man that sounds incredible. No more editions! Just a single, constantly evolving database.

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Dec 7, 2013

Handgun Phonics
Jan 7, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

Oh man that sounds incredible. No more editions! Just a single, constantly evolving database.

Wouldn't that create problems when the rules change during your campaigns, assuming the DM doesn't want to constantly update?

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Handgun Phonics posted:

Wouldn't that create problems when the rules change during your campaigns, assuming the DM doesn't want to constantly update?

Honestly I don't think it would. I don't think they'd add unfinished content to the database and even then the DM's not obliged to update something the moment it changes.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Robotor just hasn't been the same since 9/11...
Well, had a new session of our Pirate World game tonight. The Captain has died. Well, not exactly died, just been recaptured by the god of death. Here's how it all started...

We picked up from last session where the Brute died killing an elder god in a Star Array that collapsed all Poltergeist style around the party as they escaped. The surviving two members (from this side of the party, since they split into two groups) trudged back through Blackwater Brakes to the town of Reedsport (with a giant snake head as a trophy), where they finally saw the destruction left behind by the Captain and Dashing Hero. The Death's Bastard (their ship), the dock, and all of their crew: destroyed.

Meanwhile, out in the jungle after just having escaped from prison (thanks to the Captain being an actual ghost that can leave his vessel body) the Captain and Dashing Hero hide out to escape the approaching troops from the capitol city of Highfield. They can see the beach, and beyond that the open sea, and on there... a galleon from Highfield. heading right towards Reedsport.

The Pirate and Fanatic, having just arrived in town and starting to ask around about what the ever-loving hell is going on, find out that their friends have run into the jungle and that land troops have just arrived and are SUPER pissed that the prisoners aren't there. Seeing that they are probably going to be in hot water, they sneak onto the Fat Purse, a brig captained by the Dashing Hero's ex-lover.

At this time, we jump to a man (think one of the main guys from Brotherhood of the Wolf) who has paid to have someone sneak him aboard the galleon from highfield, and is headed for Reedsport. This is our newest character, a Slayer (played by the Brute's player) who is a secret wereshark. He is pursuing his own goals when he is caught up trying to sneak off the ship and inadvertently ends up with a crew searching the Fat Purse for illegal contraband. He, the Pirate, and the Fanatic kill the guards and rig the ship to explode, cutting the main sails loose and sending it careening toward the galleon blocking the harbor. To make sure the plan is successful the Pirate rides in the crowsnest of the Fat Purse as the galleon fires a volley of broadsides right at him. As a volley shatters the main mast, he rides it as it falls into the rigging of the galleon, grabs some ropes, swings, shoots a sniper in the head, dives in and grabs the captain - taking him hostage as a group of 30-40 men point muskets at him. The Fat Purse has crashed into the galleon and the Pirate assassinates the galleon's captain and uses his body as a shield against the musket fire as he dives overboard.

The Captain and Dashing Hero are attacked at the same time by the same genji crab that put them on this accursed island. They fight valiantly, but the crab crushes the Dashing Hero's hand and he loses consciousness (player had to leave, but told us to finish out the session). The Captain, seeing no other way, leaves his body and goes ghost, fighting the crab and cutting off one of its giant eyes. However, I ask the Captain, "What happens when you stay in ghost form for too long?" His reply: "he can find me." So of course the Captain hears a familiar voice, that of the god of death, who he escaped years ago. Everybody at the table also finds out that the Captain was once very much like Prometheus: he was in a limbo of terror - being devoured, along with his crew and ship, over and over again by a charybdis in the Underworld. That is, until he escaped.

Now it seems like the god of death had finally found him. He fought bravely but was overtaken by wraiths which took him to the Black Freighter where he faced the god of death. He was offered a choice: stay in the Underworld and return to purgatory, or become Death's assassin. Feeling that it was a trick, and that going back would put his friends in danger of Death's wrath, he chose to stay. He stepped off the side of the ship and back into oblivion.

Meanwhile, the Fanatic and Slayer try to fight the genji crab, only to get hurt pretty dang badly. The Fanatic is able to pull the Dashing Hero to safety, but the Slayer gets flung into the jungle. The Pirate sneaks back onboard the galleon and proceeds to take out a multitude of officers and marines, only to get shot pretty badly. He is down to 1 hp and is hiding aboard the ship.

My players had so much respect for the Captain standing up to the god of Death. The Captain's player was literally shaking when he confronted Death. Like, that's how into it he was. He really didn't want to die, but did so to save everyone else. Bad rear end.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Sanglorian posted:

Speaking as a dude where that's part of his day job, it... might be pretty slow going. There are some pretty good frameworks out there that hide most of the database from you and will even create it for you based on your class design, but if you're just learning about databases from scratch you're going to fumble about for a bit.

I mean, if this is going to be the thing that gets you learning about all that stuff, great! If there's a university near you, you can probably pick up some used database textbooks on the cheap and most of them will cover the basics. But it's not going to be easy to wrap your head around.

Have you already got a language you want to work in/already know?

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Bigup DJ posted:

P.S. Gnome, one of my players picked the Rainlord and neither of us can figure out why they've got a Ward stat. What's the Rainlord got to do with warding?

Did you not notice that most of the starting moves roll+Ward? The "Ward stat" is the stat you use for these moves (i.e. if you picked Fire, Liquid Body and Deluge use +Str).

e; vv hurp, fair enough. :downs:

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Dec 8, 2013

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Did you not notice that most of the starting moves roll+Ward? The "Ward stat" is the stat you use for these moves (i.e. if you picked Fire, Liquid Body and Deluge use +Str).
He's asking why call it Ward specifically, I think?

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
How do-able is playing Dungeon World in a almost completely non magical (Tolkien-esque) setting? Wizards won't be allowed and probably the Paladins and Clerics too. Perhaps the Bard could stay with some adjustments.

Edit: Or would Fate Accelerated be better suited for a non magical Dungeon World like game?

Nf3 fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 7, 2013

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Our Pirate World game is exactly like that. We all voted early on to have no magical items and it's explained in the lore we created with Microscope RPG. We have gods, but they are locked away and can't influence the world. The "new" gods are Lovecraftian horrors that people worship (but don't actually know what they're worshiping).

Very doable and just as fun as having magic and all that.

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
That sounds awesome. I need to get my hands on Pirate World.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Nf3 posted:

How do-able is playing Dungeon World in a almost completely non magical (Tolkien-esque) setting?

No reason it wouldn't work as long as the PCs are allowed to perform larger-than-life feats of strength/dexterity/etc.

Overemotional Robot
Mar 16, 2008

Yeah, one of my guys almost took out a whole platoon of royal marines by himself. No magic, just smart use of grabbing muskets and dropped pistols + stabbing dudes in the face. Oh, and powder stores. They loving love to blow up powder stores.

One thing we established early on is that there is no coming back from the dead. Like, you can't go pay some guy to revive your friend. Instead, if you want to bring someone back you have to go to the loving Underworld and steal them from Death :black101:

Overemotional Robot fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 7, 2013

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Nf3 posted:

How do-able is playing Dungeon World in a almost completely non magical (Tolkien-esque) setting? Wizards won't be allowed and probably the Paladins and Clerics too. Perhaps the Bard could stay with some adjustments.

Edit: Or would Fate Accelerated be better suited for a non magical Dungeon World like game?
I played with a Fighter, a Thief and a Bard, and it worked perfectly well; I don't think the magical nature of the Bard's moves were integral. I felt like DW did a pretty good job of making the non-magical characters still interesting. You might want to find some more non-martial classes to offer variety, but some kind of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Cthulhu type of game seems like it would fit well.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??
Great classes that will work for a non-magical Dungeon World:

Other Things: Fool, Initiate, Gladiator, Noble.

My DTRPG stuff: Dashing Hero, Medic, Templar (Templar is a non-magical Paladin variant).

Inverse World: Survivor, Walker, Collector (maybe), Captain.

Pirate World: Brute, Fanatic, Pirate, Witch Doctor.

Grim World: Battlemaster.

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Bigup DJ posted:

Well if that's the case wouldn't you be better off writing the playbook's mechanics as core mechanics - Edge, Professions and Vices or something - and having a game without playbooks? I might try and write a Count of Monte Cristo-Operator type playbook, though.

Well yes, but only if I were planning on making a new game. The point of working within the normal dungeon world class framework was that ideally the misfit would work just fine alongside the traditional playbooks in any dungeon world game that allowed custom classes.

It's not like I hate the traditional playbooks, I just don't always feel like searching for the most appropriate playbook for a character concept and then picking which 9 advanced moves I like the most in case the game lives until level 10. My perfectionism forces me to have a full character build ready to go from the start if the game has any form of hard cap on the character.

In a plain skillpoint system with progression limited only by the length of the game I'd be just fine letting my character grow organically, but in any system with a hard level cap or mutually exclusive build choices I need to have those things figured out from the start since I don't want to regret my build choices later and end playing a character where I feel like I should've picked some other move or whatever. The misfit is basically a class I wrote for myself for the occasions where I don't feel like planning a full character for a dungeon world game.

I mean I've spent the last year on and off tweaking a character build for a vanilla dungeon world wizard, shuffling spell, stat and advanced move choices around as my mood and thoughts about what parts I like the most shift around, occasionally even playing the current variation in a pbp game. So I'm usually just fine with playing the character building minigame, but sometimes it'd be nice to be able to just play whatever without my "gamer OCD" kicking in.

Bigup DJ
Nov 8, 2012

Lemon Curdistan posted:

Well yeah, of course. Like Kaja said, I'm just curious why it's "warding" as opposed to any other thing because I can't see what the Rainlord has to do with protecting things.

Edit:

Okasvi posted:

Well yes, but only if I were planning on making a new game. The point of working within the normal dungeon world class framework was that ideally the misfit would work just fine alongside the traditional playbooks in any dungeon world game that allowed custom classes.

It's not like I hate the traditional playbooks, I just don't always feel like searching for the most appropriate playbook for a character concept and then picking which 9 advanced moves I like the most in case the game lives until level 10. My perfectionism forces me to have a full character build ready to go from the start if the game has any form of hard cap on the character.

In a plain skillpoint system with progression limited only by the length of the game I'd be just fine letting my character grow organically, but in any system with a hard level cap or mutually exclusive build choices I need to have those things figured out from the start since I don't want to regret my build choices later and end playing a character where I feel like I should've picked some other move or whatever. The misfit is basically a class I wrote for myself for the occasions where I don't feel like planning a full character for a dungeon world game.

I mean I've spent the last year on and off tweaking a character build for a vanilla dungeon world wizard, shuffling spell, stat and advanced move choices around as my mood and thoughts about what parts I like the most shift around, occasionally even playing the current variation in a pbp game. So I'm usually just fine with playing the character building minigame, but sometimes it'd be nice to be able to just play whatever without my "gamer OCD" kicking in.

I think the level cap's only as hard as the table wants it to be. I mean if you want to go beyond level 10 or switch your advanced moves around after you've chosen them, there's nothing really keeping you from doing that - nothing's set in stone. In that vein it seems a bit weird that you'd plan your character out before you know what the game's about, but to each their own.

I think if I don't get the Misfit it's because it seems like the playbook is designed to address a really specific problem which for most people isn't a problem at all. I mean as far as I can tell 'character build' is really the last thing you should be worrying about, except insofar as it allows you to tell the stories you want to tell.

Bigup DJ fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 7, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I'm helping RulebookHeavily work on the Halfling, and I need some second opinions. Here's one of the moves:

quote:

Well-to-Do
You can freely obtain mundane goods or services worth up to ten times your Charisma in coins without paying anything. You can also call on contacts and distant allies to acquire rare, unusual or particularly noteworthy items that would not normally be for sale, given enough time; the GM will tell you how much you need to pay.

Now, 180 gold (assuming 18 Charisma) actually isn't that much off the equipment list - it lets you get most basic weapons/armour for free (you can't get plate), you'll never pay for an inn again, etc. Just the about the only potentially broken stuff you might be able to do is buy "unlimited" horses (75gp), hovels (20gp), boats (150gp), wagons (150gp) or assassinations (120gp)...

...and I really don't see how that's a problem. If your halfling wants to buy every 10 foot pole in town, become a slumlord or start their own shipping empire by assassinating every potential rival and buying all their horses, wagons and boats, that's awesome by my books. Anything like that that actually happens is instant fodder for fronts, dangers and adventures, and you'll still have to pay money for anything expensive or upmarket (a noble gift is 200 coins, for example). The move doesn't protect you from the fiction-based costs of all this, either (it takes time and effort, generates drama, etc.).

Should we introduce a limit to this (either time-based or "you can't buy more than X things in a go"), or leave it as it is?

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Dec 8, 2013

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Having written a set of abstract money rules, I say go simple. The GM can always take away their stuff by making them have to draw on credit in banks in other cities, having there be no more stuff for sale, or any other sort of financial complication. "I don't have the money with me." If anything crazy happens, then good.

Shamblercow
Jan 5, 2006
Moo.
I might include the GM hooks in the move, similar to the way the Wizard's ritual move is set up. It could be hard to come up with consequences on the fly for certain types of purchases and if there aren't listed consequences, players may not appreciate the GM adding their own strings to the deal.

So money isn't the problem, it's that it will take too long, it will involve more credit than you thought, it will involve dealing with shady folks, and so on. The issue with the move as written is that those hooks, the fiction, isn't there, it's just implied. Just guarantee that they get what they want, and the money is no object, which seems to be the jist of the move.

Maybe just leave the money amount out of it completely:
You can purchase any mundane items or services, but the GM will choose 2-4 of the options from the list below.

Looking at your description, you could have hooks like:
    You need to help 'persuade' _____ to give up the items.
    It will take days, weeks, or months, unless you _____.
    The local underground/union/cops/_____ are going to notice your extravagant purchases.
    The local mob boss appreciates your spending, and sends you a short note.
    Your money makes this area unstable economically, you'll need to wait a while before you pump more money into it, but you could probably barter.
    You get a special gift among your items, but it's a trojan horse.

And so on, in that vein. Give them exactly what they want, but attach a non-monetary price.

Shamblercow fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 8, 2013

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Sadly, that's not an option for wordcount reasons, because all of this has to fit on a standard playbook. Otherwise, having something like Ritual but for acquiring stuff would have been a good fit, I agree.

As it is, there's implicit fictional costs in anything you get for free with Well-to-Do, which I feel is enough for the GM to be able to make its consequences into something exciting for the campaign.

vulgey
Aug 2, 2004

Covered in blood and without any clothes. Where is my mother?
I just ran Heart of the Minotaur with my group and inevitably the thief became a Minotaur. I was going to just leave it at that and have him re-roll but he really likes the character and the Thief in general and said could he still play, but as a Minotaur. I said yes. Now, I'm thinking how the hell do I make this make sense and how do I change his character to fit being a minotaur :ohdear:

Androc
Dec 26, 2008

vulgey posted:

I just ran Heart of the Minotaur with my group and inevitably the thief became a Minotaur. I was going to just leave it at that and have him re-roll but he really likes the character and the Thief in general and said could he still play, but as a Minotaur. I said yes. Now, I'm thinking how the hell do I make this make sense and how do I change his character to fit being a minotaur :ohdear:

Well, clearly he's going to have to get some sort of dampening foot covering to keep his hooves from giving away his position all the time. But to muffle the sound of such a vast beast, they will require the services of the greatest seamstress the world has ever known, Madame Xima of the Skulldoom Mountains, and of course she will work only with the wool of the cloud-strutting ram, which can only be found-

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe

vulgey posted:

Or you could just have him muffle his hooves and then give him a move that lets him find his way through mazes.

When you enter an area that hides its exit from you roll +dx. On a 10+ your hooves instinctively lead you to the exit. On a 7-9, either someone else got lost or something found you.

Remember big and bulky ain't a problem for thieves. Conan was a thief and a drat good one.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
Replace his race move with a Minotaur move then go buck wild. The original Minotaur was apparently really stealthy in the Labyrinth.

The Supreme Court
Feb 25, 2010

Pirate World: Nearly done!
My Brute class was written explicitly with big stuff like minotaurs and ogres in mind, might be worth grabbing a few moves from! Should be in my posting history in this thread (question mark under my avatar).

Overemotionalrobot, your pirate stories are just great! Gonna be in touch about including them in the book some way.

180 gold for the halfling sounds like it's really hit the sweet spot. I reckon the ritual options would overcomplicate it; making it clear the GM can put in fictional problems sounds perfect to me. How's the rest of the playbook looking?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

The Supreme Court posted:

180 gold for the halfling sounds like it's really hit the sweet spot. I reckon the ritual options would overcomplicate it; making it clear the GM can put in fictional problems sounds perfect to me. How's the rest of the playbook looking?

It's very hobbit/halfling, I can tell you that much. The Dwarf should be done pretty soon, too.