Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Are there any iPhone controllers that are worth a drat? The new MOGA one looks interesting, but a few reviews have shown that the thing doesn't respond well to button presses :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
So I heard that it's an Apple requirement that all buttons on any iPhone controller be analogue, something even consoles haven't found necessary with face buttons since the PS2. Is this true and...why?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
You know the face buttons on the PS3 controllers are pressure sensitive and poo poo, right?

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Oh whoops it's the PS4's that are now digital. Welp.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
So all else being equal should I do an icloud or an encrypted itunes backup? If I want to maximize my chances of getting everything, what's the best?

I should know this for next time, at least.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Psion posted:

e: never mind, apparently I have to jailbreak. This is dumb. Whatever, plenty of apps in the sea.

Apps not supporting save transfer from device to device are dumb too. What, I'm not allowed to change phones ever?

If you need to transfer savefiles on iOS just use funbox. It doesn't require jailbreaking and I haven't come across a program yet that it didn't transfer files for properly.

SpookyLizard posted:

You know the face buttons on the PS3 controllers are pressure sensitive and poo poo, right?

Triggers on the PS3 (and 360?) are pressure sensitive.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

Psion posted:

So all else being equal should I do an icloud or an encrypted itunes backup? If I want to maximize my chances of getting everything, what's the best?

Used to be that encrypted iTunes backup gave your passwords where iCloud backup didn't. With iCloud Keychain that's probably no longer a differentiating factor.

Do whatever is easiest but keep both backups. In practice, 2 backups are really just one, and one is really none.

Digger-254
Apr 3, 2003

not even here

Corridor posted:

I agree with the assessment that Kinghunt is really fun, and also that I have no idea what's going on. What is this emblem thing I just got? What are all these jewels for? What are the challenges, and what do I have to do to get all the stars in the levels? WHY IS NOTHING EXPLAINED?

Good god, this game is weird as hell. There's no menus or options, hell there isn't even a title screen, you just go straight to the map. And are you supposed to be the chef guy with the hammer or what? How are you slicing things with a giant mallet anyway? Why is a chef called "The Kingmaker" and why is he killing all the kings? He also bears a strong resemblance to the Swedish Chef so I've been sorta making up my own story based on that... which actually makes the game even more fun. They should've titled it "Swedish Chef Takes A Shitload of LSD and Goes on a Rampage." There wouldn't need to be any further explanation, it'd be just like the TF2 Meet the Pyro video.

reading
Jul 27, 2013
868-HACK is really fun, but now that I've unlocked all the programs I'm not sure where the replay value is. I'm still going to go for streaks to find new challenges (rear mounted laser is impossible!) but I don't know if that will last long.

DarkJC
Jul 6, 2010

Psion posted:

I use both but do encrypted iTunes backups when I'm restoring, but as was mentioned, iCloud keychain means it's probably less and less of a difference between the two options.

My reason for sticking with iTunes for restoring is that I like being able to sync all my apps back onto the phone right away, rather than wait for them to download over the air.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Digger-254 posted:

Good god, this game is weird as hell. There's no menus or options, hell there isn't even a title screen, you just go straight to the map. And are you supposed to be the chef guy with the hammer or what? How are you slicing things with a giant mallet anyway? Why is a chef called "The Kingmaker" and why is he killing all the kings? He also bears a strong resemblance to the Swedish Chef so I've been sorta making up my own story based on that... which actually makes the game even more fun. They should've titled it "Swedish Chef Takes A Shitload of LSD and Goes on a Rampage." There wouldn't need to be any further explanation, it'd be just like the TF2 Meet the Pyro video.

I do like yours so i don't want to disillusion you. In the description it says he's taken over the world or something by baking many cakey kings. Your slicey finger is not the chef dude, you are fighting him and all his creations.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

DarkJC posted:

I use both but do encrypted iTunes backups when I'm restoring, but as was mentioned, iCloud keychain means it's probably less and less of a difference between the two options.

My reason for sticking with iTunes for restoring is that I like being able to sync all my apps back onto the phone right away, rather than wait for them to download over the air.

Yeah, me too. I did an unencrypted backup and it refused to restore like 22 apps. Weird. So I just OTA downloaded the ones I wanted out of that list (not all 22 of them so it was no big deal)

next time I'll encrypt. I didn't think saving passwords would be that big a deal, then I had to retype all my social media account passwords and realized I was an idiot :v:

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Evil Fluffy posted:

If you need to transfer savefiles on iOS just use funbox. It doesn't require jailbreaking and I haven't come across a program yet that it didn't transfer files for properly.

Yes. So are the face buttons.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Okay so I got this game in the black friday sale, thinking I'd play it once and delete it because it looks retarded and generic.

http://appshopper.com/games/bag-it

Holy poo poo I was still sitting there playing it two hours later because it is a solid drat game. It's just a stupid little puzzler, but it clicks some switch in me.

Basically it's Tetris, but with physics, where the blocks break if dropped or if stacked under bigger blocks. Also the blocks have relationships with each other that you get when they're stacked together, and some are secret and you get bonuses if you discover them, and sometimes this is the only way to clear the level. And the blocks have personalities and names and sometimes properties, like the fizzy drink has :stare: eyes that follow all your tap movements and if he gets shuffled around too much he blows the gently caress up.

And there are modes where you can't break a drat thing, or where you're supposed to break every drat thing, or whatever extra weird challenges they shoved in there. Seriously there's like ten gameplay modes.

I still feel weird recommending this because it looks so loving dumb. I've just been playing it so loving much for no good reason.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
'sup, iOS thread?

I had a big, sprawling wanky questionnaire written here, but after realising how overwhelming it was, I figured I'd just hit you with the tl;dr:

A friend of mine has asked me for advice on how to promote the iOS/Android game they're making; I don't know anything useful about the game, so at this point I can't really offer anything but general advice, but even so, I don't really know any specifics about the smartphone scene to begin with. I do have experience promoting traditional games, particularly handheld games, but I'm sure there are a ton of unwritten rules to good smartphone promotion that I'm currently unaware of.

What I'm most eager to learn about right now is the state of the review circuit: specifically, which outlets are worth targeting and which ones are less important? I get the impression that most of the mainstream games sites are pretty terrible at smartphone coverage, and that a lot of the smaller sites expect you to pay for a review slot, but beyond that I know almost nothing.

I also understand that getting a featured slot on the App Store/Google Play store can be a make-or-break situation for many games, but that there isn't really a whole lot you can do to guarantee a feature beyond knowing the right people, whoever they might be. Is there anything more specific I can do beyond promoting the game on my own and hoping the right person notices, or is does it purely come down to luck?

Anything you could tell me would be very much appreciated. Cheers!

duckfarts
Jul 2, 2010

~ shameful ~

Soiled Meat

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

'sup, iOS thread?

I had a big, sprawling wanky questionnaire written here, but after realising how overwhelming it was, I figured I'd just hit you with the tl;dr:

A friend of mine has asked me for advice on how to promote the iOS/Android game they're making; I don't know anything useful about the game, so at this point I can't really offer anything but general advice, but even so, I don't really know any specifics about the smartphone scene to begin with. I do have experience promoting traditional games, particularly handheld games, but I'm sure there are a ton of unwritten rules to good smartphone promotion that I'm currently unaware of.

What I'm most eager to learn about right now is the state of the review circuit: specifically, which outlets are worth targeting and which ones are less important? I get the impression that most of the mainstream games sites are pretty terrible at smartphone coverage, and that a lot of the smaller sites expect you to pay for a review slot, but beyond that I know almost nothing.

I also understand that getting a featured slot on the App Store/Google Play store can be a make-or-break situation for many games, but that there isn't really a whole lot you can do to guarantee a feature beyond knowing the right people, whoever they might be. Is there anything more specific I can do beyond promoting the game on my own and hoping the right person notices, or is does it purely come down to luck?

Maybe TouchArcade and/or do your own homework?

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

'sup, iOS thread?

Social media. Reddit. Touch arcade. Viral videos. YouTube. Facebook.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Backup chat: I've always restored/setup from backup and all my app data carried over. Am I lucky as hell or is this not working for anyone else?

I have locally stored highscores in some apps from 2009 that have persisted across 3 device changes and 2x that number of full restores.

retro sexual
Mar 14, 2005

Samara posted:

Realistically what I would say is have a web-playable version to drive traffic to the for-sale mobile version. This may be trivial or it may not, depending on the tech you are building with. I wouldn't personally make a game for mobile only, having to hope for the 0.1% chance of it being a hit.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009

Evil Fluffy posted:

I'm aware (though most Xbox games tend to be 0/1 since they're usually used for for shooting mans), we were specifically talking about the face buttons.

Necroneocon
May 12, 2009

by Shine
Don't go to Reddit.

CatelynIsAZombie
Nov 16, 2006

I can't wait to bomb DO-DON-GOES!
Playground wars is battle cats, then sometimes it isn't totally battle cats and it's a little bit confusing (character levels going over 10, not having any way to upgrade resource production outside of 200 prem currency). Currently the only annoying thing was the mission at the end of summer week one that is literally "hope you bought the tree fort upgrade or you can't win".

The hero unit is interesting though he basically is best for stalling until you can upgrade resource production once in the level and then you use him to spam spells and/or gently caress your perfectly good round when you don't realize he's aggroed all the water gunners and dies before you can run out of melee. A tip: his base damage determines the strength of his flash slash spell.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Khablam posted:

Backup chat: I've always restored/setup from backup and all my app data carried over. Am I lucky as hell or is this not working for anyone else?

I have locally stored highscores in some apps from 2009 that have persisted across 3 device changes and 2x that number of full restores.

Yeah I basically have all the same app data I've had since I had a 3g, and I've had every model iPhone since. No one is going to rob me of my Angry Birds stars.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

The Last Express reduced to $0.99

Catan (iPhone version) reduced to $2.99

Samara
Jan 6, 2011

quote:

Deposited $150 at Mt Gox to try this Bitcoin thing out.

Stolen 6 days later. Really enjoyed my time there.

Helpful? Please donate - being this retarded ain't cheap!

Samara Investments
Basement Suite #101
Mom's House, Hometown FL
USAAA+
Space Hulk is really good, not sure what all the PC complaints were about. Plays exactly like what I'd expect a turn based Space Marine game to be.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Infinity Blade 2 is the free game of the month via IGN

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Infinity Blade 2 is the free game of the month via IGN

Thanks!

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
The makers of ToF and ToF2 have a game reduced to free today: War of Eclipse. I just started playing, so I don't know if it's that great or anything, but it's free and has the same graphical style as the other two mentioned, so might as well try it.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

duckfarts posted:

Maybe TouchArcade and/or do your own homework?

Samara posted:

How is asking (presumably) knowledgeable people not "doing my homework"?

Anyway, I get that there's an expectation that you have to absolutely carpetbomb every possible press/social media outlet in the leadup to launch in order to make a dent; I guess what I'm really asking is, are are there any particular iOS/games sites that aren't worth bothering with?

One thing I've learned from handling Nintendo handheld stuff is that there are a lot of specialty outlets who'll cover your game if you make things easy for them, but that you get far more exposure from the few big news aggregator sites than you do from each individual site, so you can afford to be selective with who you work with (and considering how inept/unprofessional some of these outlets can be, it really helps to be able to just ignore them).

I ask because the indie developer in question is Japanese, so there's a whole other layer of prep work required for any sort of PR which makes it hard to just hit every outlet with everything I've got.

Rexicon1
Oct 9, 2007

A Shameful Path Led You Here
Yo, Eli

Sorry about your dad

hoju22
May 3, 2006

Easy. You just don't lead 'em so much.

Rexicon1 posted:

Yo, Eli

Sorry about your dad

App shopper link, please.

The Pell
Feb 6, 2008

Rexicon1 posted:

Yo, Eli

Sorry about your dad

Came here to post this.

Cloudchaos
Jan 18, 2004
Just took a flier on a game that popped up on TA's new games list called Starborn Anarkist. It's a dual stick shooter/bullet hell with RPG progression where you can design your own ship as you unlock and find or buy parts. You get a main gun (homing missiles, machine gun or laser) that upgrades as you collect power-ups firing either more missiles or adding more streams of bullets or laser beams. Additionally you can upgrade your shields and engines through power-ups as well. All power-ups have a color (green, blue or red). For weapons this is straightforward but slightly less so for engine and shield power-ups. It was a little confusing at first and I'd recommend checking out the how-to-play section but the gist of it is in easy mode, any green power-up will give you more missiles as well as boosting the engine and shield that are considered green (explained in the how-to-play). There is also a pro mode where you can collect green missiles, red engines and blue shields if you want to build a ship that accelerates super fast, has a rapid recharge shield and shoots missiles.

You unlock parts as you defeat bosses which then drop or can be purchased for credits. They sell credits as IAP but the achievements seem to give out a shitload of them. Additionally, you can collect them in-game where they repair your ship if you're damaged or get banked to buy parts if you're not. You unlock different blueprints through achievements and there seem to be a lot of them. I don't have my iPad sitting in front of me but I believe the ship creation area is a 7x7 grid and different blueprints allow you to use different parts of the grid with the final one allowing you to build pretty much whatever you want.

Well worth the $1.99 I spent but I would caution that the power-ups are small on a full-sized iPad screen so I can't speak to how it plays on an iPhone. I hope some of you try it and enjoy it as much as I have already (and I've only scratched the surface).

http://appshopper.com/games/starborn-anarkist

Finally, sorry to hear about your dad Eli. Condolences to you and your family.

Minus1Minus1
Apr 26, 2004

Azula always lies
A little bummed that after one play session, Band Stars now just crashes to my dashboard. Likewise, after a day and a half of futzing around with the new Dragon Age game, it now just loads indefinitely. I half-considered giving those monsters at EA a couple bucks, even.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.
War of Eclipse went on sale. Fun game, more playable than Tower Of Fortune 2. The only problem is that it is so, so difficult.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

SquadronROE posted:

The only problem is that it is so, so grindy.

ftfy

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Band Stars is really great until you hit the VIP floor paywall. A super polished version of Game Dev Story? Sign me up!

But I haven't spent any drinks outside of the required ones and the third floor costs 65 drinks. I have 20. And I'm not going to spend $5 to get enough drinks, and getting more drinks is nearly impossible once you're out of band member challenges to do, you can only randomly get one for having a hit song, which occurs once every 5-10 recorded songs.

The drinks should probably only be used to regenerate characters and maybe viral hits, having the floors to recruit new members tied to them is incredibly stupid. Especially since you can't dismiss band members either.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

1st AD posted:

Are there any iPhone controllers that are worth a drat? The new MOGA one looks interesting, but a few reviews have shown that the thing doesn't respond well to button presses :psyduck:
I want to know all about this as well. I found a VERY short list out there of games that support controllers, is that going to always be small or explode someday?

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Unless you like to :smug: around your friends as an early adopter, now is the time to sit back and see what happens. What's being sold is barely more than a proof of concept.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roboshit
Apr 4, 2009

So most iOS games should have iCloud saves by now right? So when I get my iPad Air later this week my Oceanhorn save on my iPhone should carry over?

• Locked thread