Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
myron cope
Apr 21, 2009

Haha, his "Can we have it back, please?" is so good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Although I don't understand what unfunded mandate means in this scenario. An unfunded mandate is when the federal government tells the states to do something but doesn't provide any money. How would that even be a counter to "we think the states can handle it themselves?" There wouldn't be any mandates to fund.

twoot
Oct 29, 2012

I love that little laugh that Abbey does so much :3:

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's nice to see that even after all the animosity about Jeb running for a second term and how Abby was taking the blame for the MS thing, it's nice to see that deep down they still really do love each other.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

FISHMANPET posted:

Although I don't understand what unfunded mandate means in this scenario. An unfunded mandate is when the federal government tells the states to do something but doesn't provide any money. How would that even be a counter to "we think the states can handle it themselves?" There wouldn't be any mandates to fund.
Presumably "do it yourself" would have conditions and expectations attached, but wouldn't have funding attached. He's assuming that Jed is going to hold the position that you need to put in money to get results, and wants to spend more money on education.
The "can I have my money back?" line is then implying the problem you're seeing with it - they'd need to remove [existing] funding for it to be an unfunded mandate.

It kinda fits the purpose of the term, but it's a bit rhetoric-ey both ways.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

twoot posted:

I love that little laugh that Abbey does so much :3:

I love CJ's "oh. My. God." at the end, it's that perfect mix of amusement and "how am I going to fix this" that her character is all about.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Speaking of CJ, The Long Goodbye is a good episode of some other show, but not TWW.

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
I liked the Long Goodbye in the context of it showing that not all parts of the characters' lives are entangled with working in the White House or other people that work in or around the goverment. It doesn't give the West Wing experience when watching it, but it makes me appreciate the rest of the series a little bit more.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!

FrozenVent posted:

I love CJ's "oh. My. God." at the end, it's that perfect mix of amusement and "how am I going to fix this" that her character is all about.

Are you serious? That line is terrible and a good example of how Sorkin can go way, WAY overboard with the corn. That line makes me cringe every time. Same with Josh's "game on!" Ugh.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

The best line is when Josh asks why Abby cut off his tie, and Bartlett just quips "I don't think we have that kind of time"

Caufman
May 7, 2007

CelestialScribe posted:

Are you serious? That line is terrible and a good example of how Sorkin can go way, WAY overboard with the corn. That line makes me cringe every time. Same with Josh's "game on!" Ugh.

I had to go back and check; a good chunk of your posts are complaints about specific lines you think are typically Sorkin cheesy. Several people here regularly comment on this.

Well I guess corniness irritates you all in a way that just tickles me right, but I think objectively Sorkin's corn has to be the best drat corn in the market.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
I think my favorite bit is later on in the debate, when Toby's like "I can't watch any more of this... No, no, wait, I can."

Oh, I just realized i haven't told this story in here yet - so a couple of weeks ago, I went to see Gravity with my mom. She went to use the restroom, so I got in line to go into the theater. A minute or so later, I looked around to see if she'd come out yet. She hadn't, but the guy in line behind me looked familiar. A couple of minutes later, I looked around again, and I realized the guy behind me bore an uncanny resemblance to Alan Alda. Another minute or so passes, I look around again, and I'm 100% sure it's Alan Alda in line behind me, so I turned around and asked him if he was him. He said he was, and I said I was a big fan and shook his hand. He thanked me, I told him I thought he was excellent on West Wing, he thanked me again, and then I left him alone.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
I hope you didn't shake his hand too tight.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
If Santos wants to nationalize education, as a Democrat shouldn't he be talking about banning intelligent design? If we want a high school diploma diploma to mean the same thing as a diploma from Washington state, shouldn't he be speaking out against Pennsylvania's efforts to teach intelligent design? He said it's a local issue, but this crap is exactly why education should be nationalized.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:
That's a weird way to spell Bartlett.

(I'm finishing season 3 and I don't know if I want to stop letting Bartlett be Bartlett)

Kloaked00
Jun 21, 2005

I was sitting in my office on that drizzly afternoon listening to the monotonous staccato of rain on my desk and reading my name on the glass of my office door: regnaD kciN

Was on Amazon and happened across The West Wing boxset, which I already have for myself, but thought I'd share that it's $90 right now

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Kloaked00 posted:

Was on Amazon and happened across The West Wing boxset, which I already have for myself, but thought I'd share that it's $90 right now

I already have all the DVDs. I need some blu-rays dammit. There's no excuse anymore since Amazon has the entire series in high definition on Amazon Prime.

dalp
Oct 7, 2002
I was messing around with some stats plotting stuff and made a thing:

Figured you guys might like it. For whatever reason the highest rated episode is 100,000 Airplanes. The lowest is Access, which makes a lot of sense.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord
I started reading this thread because I recently got into the series, but couldn't keep reading because I saw a couple holy-poo poo spoilers straight out of the starting gate.

Give me fair warning: I'm partway through 3rd season. I wanted to get a gauge on when I should just stop, or at least lower my expectations dramatically. Thoughts?

dalp
Oct 7, 2002

An Old Boot posted:

I started reading this thread because I recently got into the series, but couldn't keep reading because I saw a couple holy-poo poo spoilers straight out of the starting gate.

Give me fair warning: I'm partway through 3rd season. I wanted to get a gauge on when I should just stop, or at least lower my expectations dramatically. Thoughts?

The usual advice in this thread is to watch the whole thing at least once. It's worth it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

dalp posted:

The usual advice in this thread is to watch the whole thing at least once. It's worth it.

Speaking as someone watching through the show for the first time, I agree with this up to where I am now.

Speaking of, I just finished watching Commencement (in late season 4) and all I have to say is holy gently caress. :suspense:

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE EPISODE:

First the abrupt tonal shift to the sinister techno drumbeat ambient music track, then the reveal that Jean-Paul whatever spiked Zoey's drink, then Molly in the alley...The Pres is about to kill some motherfuckers.

WarLocke fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 7, 2013

dalp
Oct 7, 2002

WarLocke posted:

Speaking as someone watching through the show for the first time, I agree with this up to where I am now.

Speaking of, I just finished watching Commencement (in late season 4) and all I have to say is holy gently caress. :suspense:

DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T SEEN THE EPISODE:

First the abrupt tonal shift to the sinister techno drumbeat ambient music track, then the reveal that Jean-Paul whatever spiked Zoey's drink, then Molly in the alley...The Pres is about to kill some motherfuckers.

I can't listen to that Massive Attack song without getting a little emotional. UGH the look on Ron's face when Leo opens the door.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Massive Attack is always played when something bad happens, or maybe a villain is listening to it.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

Oh god I loving lost it at "Your name is Molly." :cry:

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Oh god I loving lost it at "Your name is Molly." :cry:

Babies come with hats.

cams
Mar 28, 2003

dalp posted:

Figured you guys might like it. For whatever reason the highest rated episode is 100,000 Airplanes.
This is boggling my mind. It's a good episode, I enjoy it, but the level to which it is above the others on the list... wow. Great to see that "Two Cathedrals" is the second highest episode.

EDIT: Wait, IMDB hated part two of "20 Hours in America". What the gently caress.

"The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels." COME ON

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Most TV shows on IMDB have a very low sample population on a per-episode basis, it's not unusual that even well-known shows will say certain episodes are below the voting threshold.

dalp
Oct 7, 2002

Khablam posted:

Most TV shows on IMDB have a very low sample population on a per-episode basis, it's not unusual that even well-known shows will say certain episodes are below the voting threshold.

I think this probably explains "Twenty Hours in America: Part II." It has the lowest sample size of any West Wing Episode by a large margin.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Maybe people got depressed when the pipe bomb went off :(

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Yeah, looking at it the majority of the episodes have ~150 votes cast on them. I wouldn't suggest that sample was relevant enough to start quoting decimal places for.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

cams posted:

EDIT: Wait, IMDB hated part two of "20 Hours in America". What the gently caress.

"The streets of heaven are too crowded with angels." COME ON

Counterpoint:

cams
Mar 28, 2003

JohnSherman posted:

Counterpoint:

I agree, that is a counterpoint to rating "20 Hours in America" low :colbert:

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Counterpoint to your counterpoint

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-J1NHzQ1sgc&t=62s

:colbert:

dalp
Oct 7, 2002

You're not wrong, but the counterpoint to your counterpoint is the part before your timestamp.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Heh, I know. But it's like a whole minute of clunky setup in an episode which is otherwise pretty fantastic.

Old Boot
May 9, 2012

Buglord

Khablam posted:

Heh, I know. But it's like a whole minute of clunky setup in an episode which is otherwise pretty fantastic.

It's not exactly the first time that's happened.

lemonlyman

azflyboy
Nov 9, 2005

An Old Boot posted:

Seasons 5-7 aren't quite as good as the first four seasons, but they're still well worth watching.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Khablam posted:

But it is thematically relevant to the rest of the 2-parter - Josh & Toby are so focused on the election and politics that they don't give a poo poo about the sorts of things other people care about.
Not that anyone should give a poo poo about mop-head's E/N issues.

tomapot
Apr 7, 2005
Suppose you're thinkin' about a plate o' shrimp. Suddenly someone'll say, like, plate, or shrimp, or plate o' shrimp out of the blue, no explanation. No point in lookin' for one, either. It's all part of a cosmic unconciousness.
Oven Wrangler
Just got to The Supremes on my rewatch. Love this episode, especially Josh getting drank (drunk?) under the table.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I'm watching Season 3 episode Stirred and Bartlet is helping Charlie with his taxes and there's a line that strikes me.

Bartlet mentions that Charlie makes $35,000 a year and they frequently remark about how little Charlie makes.

Here we are, eleven years later. I live pretty near to DC, near enough that I'd imagine cost of living costs aren't all that different. If I don't take any unpaid days off, I make $27,000 a year.

Is this a reflection of how little I make or were the West Wing writers basing Charlie's pay on how much it costs to live cheaply in LA or what?

• Locked thread