Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I am not sure that I have ever eaten a turkey that was not "enhanced" already. The only turkey at my local grocery store that didn't say it had been injected already was $6 per pound, as opposed to Butterball and store brand. I brine my "enhanced" turkey every year with Alton's brine recipe, and it is always amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Smoked my first ever turkey today (solo to boot!)

Probably not much of an accomplishment, but since my cooking repertoire is restricted to grilling (and apparently a knack for Coq au Vin), I was proud to be able to contribute meaningfully to my family's Thanksgiving.

edit: In case anyone is curious, I used Cherry wood to smoke it. Not sure what else you'd want to know, as I kinda just winged it. The only other time I've smoked anything was when I made a huge batch of pork BBQ, but I was pretty much the assistant there.

Annath fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Nov 28, 2013

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doom Rooster posted:

I am not sure that I have ever eaten a turkey that was not "enhanced" already. The only turkey at my local grocery store that didn't say it had been injected already was $6 per pound, as opposed to Butterball and store brand. I brine my "enhanced" turkey every year with Alton's brine recipe, and it is always amazing.

Most smoking forums seem to agree that it's not a big deal. I think I'll be fine. This is just the "experimental" turkey anyways. We have a 20lb being roasted.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I got mine at giant eagle they aren't in the freezer with the other birds but in the meat cooler steak and hamburger thing. Store brand fresh young turkey or something like that. Says right on the package no additives added.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Hutterite turkeys. Any opinions on these ?

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trustfund. posted:

Most smoking forums seem to agree that it's not a big deal. I think I'll be fine. This is just the "experimental" turkey anyways. We have a 20lb being roasted.

I read on two other sites that apparently it isn't a big deal. I went ahead and brined it. I'm hoping it'll be tasty.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Are mesquite woodchips okay to use with ham?

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Start your engines!

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

I wish I had a blanket for my smoker it's loving cold out. Who thinks 2 full chimneys of lit would be too much?

Last year I had a bitch of a time getting hot enough and had to get creative with a stick and aluminum foil to get air in.

Siochain
May 24, 2005

"can they get rid of any humans who are fans of shitheads like Kanye West, 50 Cent, or any other piece of crap "artist" who thinks they're all that?

And also get rid of anyone who has posted retarded shit on the internet."

jonathan posted:

Hutterite turkeys. Any opinions on these ?

Depends on the colony, but quite likely amazing. Always used to get a free Christmas one from a local colony at the old computer shop I worked at. They were fantastic.

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

fps_bill posted:

I wish I had a blanket for my smoker it's loving cold out. Who thinks 2 full chimneys of lit would be too much?

Last year I had a bitch of a time getting hot enough and had to get creative with a stick and aluminum foil to get air in.

It's about 24 degrees here so I had to use two to get to 275. Been holding steady for about 2 hours now.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

All vents wide open? I was hoping to get 325-350.

Trustfund.
Feb 14, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

fps_bill posted:

All vents wide open? I was hoping to get 325-350.

Nah about 1/3 open right now.

fps_bill
Apr 6, 2012

Got my bird on a little later than I'd have liked to. I think I need to invest in a second charcoal chimney.

So help me if my smoker doesn't get hot enough I'm taking a cutoff tool to the top of the fuel door so I can flip that bitch upside down and prop the bottom open.

coronaball
Feb 6, 2005

You're finished, pork-o-nazi!
I'm filling out my Amazon wishlist. What is the absolute king of thermometers/meat probes, < $60 or so? I've been using cheap handhelds for so long and I want to upgrade once and for all.

edit: I'm looking at this guy here: http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Range-Wireless-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B00ANCXJR6/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1386006779&sr=1-2

coronaball fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 2, 2013

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

coronaball posted:

I'm filling out my Amazon wishlist. What is the absolute king of thermometers/meat probes, < $60 or so? I've been using cheap handhelds for so long and I want to upgrade once and for all.

edit: I'm looking at this guy here: http://www.amazon.com/Ivation-Range-Wireless-Smoker-Thermometer/dp/B00ANCXJR6/ref=sr_1_2?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1386006779&sr=1-2

Absolute king is about $90

http://www.amazon.com/Splash-Proof-Super-Fast-Thermapen-Thermometer-Professional/dp/B003P63MEW

The BLT
Jan 3, 2008
Do you know the sandwhich man?
Can someone recommend a reliable smoker for someone looking to get in to the hobby soon? I'm looking for something no more than 150, closer to 100 would be nice. I appreciate any help.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain is available for $200. Below that you're starting to get into the cheapass sidebox charbroilers and poo poo.

You could always just use a Weber kettle and do single shoulders / ribs on a rack.

The BLT
Jan 3, 2008
Do you know the sandwhich man?

Digital_Jesus posted:

The 14.5" Weber Smokey Mountain is available for $200. Below that you're starting to get into the cheapass sidebox charbroilers and poo poo.

You could always just use a Weber kettle and do single shoulders / ribs on a rack.

Anyway you can provide an example or two of a cheap smoker in that price range so I can get a baseline to compare to.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Sure.

#1: http://www.wayfair.com/Brinkmann-Sp...CFa9lOgodSVEAEg

#2: http://www.staples.com/office/suppl...=26-250238213-2

#3: http://www.meijer.com/s/char-broil-...g&kpid=12201729

They're all awful, no where near reliable, and will produce mediocre results.

E: What I'm saying is the standard entry point for a smoker that isn't an unreliable hunk of crap you'll regret wasting $100-$150 on is about $300 for the 18.5" Smokey Mountain. Or take my advice on using a Weber kettle as a smoker (They're about $130).

Digital_Jesus fucked around with this message at 20:15 on Dec 4, 2013

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I would look for a used smoker rather than try to go cheaper than 200 new.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

The BLT posted:

Anyway you can provide an example or two of a cheap smoker in that price range so I can get a baseline to compare to.

If your handy with some tools and don't mind a bit of work, you could always build a smokey joe mini wsm.
http://www.virtualweberbullet.com/miniwsm.html

I built one and it works great and was less than $100 after everything was said and done. Other than that, bet a 18" or 22" weber kettle and smoke on it, I do it quite a lot and it works great, or like others have said try and find something used.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

I sold my beauty of a WSM close to what you are looking to pay. Less maintained examples will probably be less. Just go on Craigslist for a few weeks and see what pops up

Marv Albert
May 15, 2003

It definitely isn't BBQ purist, but you can get fantastic results for under $80 in materials if you go the flower-pot smoker route.

This is just an example, the important thing to take away, IMO, is to relocate the hot plate's thermostat/potentiometer away from the heat of the earthenware pot.

Mine, only a 16" pot, but can easily accommodate things like a beercan chicken, a big pork shoulder, or a packer brisket. It runs like a Swiss watch.

PainBreak
Jun 9, 2001
Well, it's not meat...

Currently 13F outside, so while I've frozen a full water pan, I don't think I'm going to need much of a buffer. I have a small 12v case fan on top to ensure at these cold temperatures, oxygen continues to flow from the bottom to the top, so that the AMNPS will stay lit.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
My girlfriend just gave me an early Christmas gift, a new bright red Thermapen! YES. I cannot wait to use it this upcoming grilling/smoking season (and every other time I cook indoors, too).

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Just bought an AMNPS along with a bunch of fuel for it for my WSM. Gonna get some cold smoking going on.

Bone_Enterprise
Aug 9, 2005

Inception Cigars
www.inceptioncigars.com
Yeaaah, it is about time for me to do another batch of cheese, has been a while since I have done it.

Usually acquire cheese from http://www.veldhuizencheese.com/ and smoke it up when I make mine.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

coronaball posted:

I have the same question, I'm looking for a probe to tell me the temperature of my Weber Smokey Mountain (I don't trust the thermometer it ships with) and wanted one that would send the data to my phone while I sat inside (the smoker is a good 15 yards from my couch). I've been reading this website and all the caveats about the Maverick series has me hesitant to purchase one.

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro

Rand alPaul posted:

I have the same question, I'm looking for a probe to tell me the temperature of my Weber Smokey Mountain (I don't trust the thermometer it ships with) and wanted one that would send the data to my phone while I sat inside (the smoker is a good 15 yards from my couch). I've been reading this website and all the caveats about the Maverick series has me hesitant to purchase one.

iGrill if you have an iDevice.

Xeus
Dec 6, 2005
COPS NEVER LIE
*slurp* *slurrrrp* mmmm cop cock oh God so good in my mouth like this

Marv Albert posted:

It definitely isn't BBQ purist, but you can get fantastic results for under $80 in materials if you go the flower-pot smoker route.

This is just an example, the important thing to take away, IMO, is to relocate the hot plate's thermostat/potentiometer away from the heat of the earthenware pot.

Mine, only a 16" pot, but can easily accommodate things like a beercan chicken, a big pork shoulder, or a packer brisket. It runs like a Swiss watch.

What flower pot did you use? I'm thinking about doing something like this.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY

Rand alPaul posted:

If you don't mind doing a bit of soldering and playing around with a Raspberry Pi, you could make a heatermeter:

https://github.com/CapnBry/HeaterMeter/wiki

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 13:14 on Dec 10, 2013

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Fun fact: it may seem like a bad rear end thing to brag about and try, but don't bother. -39 is too cold for grilling. Your thermometer will freeze and shut down. The vents freeze and the built in thermometer will not work.

Also, propane doesn't flow properly at that temp. Charcoal ? LoL don't even bother.

McSpankWich
Aug 31, 2005

Plum Island Animal Disease Research Center. Sounds charming.
Do you live in Greenland?

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

If I were human, I believe my response would be: 'go to hell'.

McSpankWich posted:

Do you live in Greenland?

Carved his home out of a glacier Fortress of Solitude style.

niss
Jul 9, 2008

the amazing gnome

jonathan posted:

Fun fact: it may seem like a bad rear end thing to brag about and try, but don't bother. -39 is too cold for grilling. Your thermometer will freeze and shut down. The vents freeze and the built in thermometer will not work.

Also, propane doesn't flow properly at that temp. Charcoal ? LoL don't even bother.

I would love to test my BGE at those temps.

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

niss posted:

I would love to test my BGE at those temps.

I have a theory that the interior of a BGE contains a portal directly into the core of the Sun. Those things are so goddamn awesome.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

jonathan posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure fires have started at temps that low. I can't speak to propane because it's dumb but lighting some lump charcoal should be no issue. Get it some air, get it a starter cube, and light her up. Opening the grill should be enough air to get it started to unfreeze whatever vents aren't open.

Crazyeyes posted:

I have a theory that the interior of a BGE contains a portal directly into the core of the Sun. Those things are so goddamn awesome.

My steaks confirm this. I've slowly worked my way up and now am getting some pretty drat good sears when I put it in torch mode. It's seriously been the best purchase for ease of use / versatility / quality.

jonathan
Jul 3, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

sellouts posted:

Uh, I'm pretty sure fires have started at temps that low. I can't speak to propane because it's dumb but lighting some lump charcoal should be no issue. Get it some air, get it a starter cube, and light her up. Opening the grill should be enough air to get it started to unfreeze whatever vents aren't open.

My steaks confirm this. I've slowl worked my way up and now am getting some pretty drat good sears when I put it in torch mode. It's seriously been the best purchase for ease of use / versatility / quality.

Yeah, a BGE or something would probably be fine for temps. Its more the logistics of the entire ordeal. You can frost-burn your skin on surfaces. Devices don't work. There is a condensation and moisture issue from the temperature change, and with the wind it was basically -55 on my skin. Basically, a BGE might even be weird because its literally colder than ice than Mexico is warmer than ice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazyeyes
Nov 5, 2009

jonathan posted:

Yeah, a BGE or something would probably be fine for temps. Its more the logistics of the entire ordeal. You can frost-burn your skin on surfaces. Devices don't work. There is a condensation and moisture issue from the temperature change, and with the wind it was basically -55 on my skin. Basically, a BGE might even be weird because its literally colder than ice than Mexico is warmer than ice.

jonathan preparing to grill

In other news, my brother just came home with a pig head. Has anyone ever smoked something like this before? If so, please tell me.