Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
Don't forget Rangers get Racial Enemy as well. Basically they get a lot of nice perks - Armor of Faith, Stealth, Racial Enemy (if you pick the right enemy) are all good at high levels, while Stealth, Racial Enemy, Charm Animal and free DW are great at low levels. The main issue is that Paladins get better spells and, depending on kit, innate abilities for higher level stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
My very first play through BG1 was a Ranger Class (no kit as BG 2 wasn't out yet) and I found it a great class to play as. No armour restrictions unless you wanted to use stealth.
I ended up taking the character through BG2 when it came out as well so I have a fondness for Rangers. Charm animal was very useful in BG 1 - often helping tip the scales in confrontations that a low level party didn't have any business of winning.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

So with my internet out for the weekend I decided to finally plough into IWD2 after having stopped just after stopping the attack on your starting town. Its interesting having no idea what your doing as regards to character creation.

Given people were telling me that a ton of things just get locked out if I didn't put points into certain stats, and given im mostly bad at games (with virtually no 3e knowledge) I decided to just set my main characters stats to 18s and go.

Currently my party is running with:
Paladin /Fighter (I'm not sure what to do with him if I should go more into Paladin or more into fighter, hes the 18 stat guy to see what allows what)
Fighter (hit mans with a sword and shield seems to be doing alright, I bumped up the dex too much and forgot I cant use most of it with heavier armour)
Wizard (I'm discovering I hate hoping for wizard scrolls as it seems to give the next level of spells out after I'm sitting with blank spellslots)
Sorcerer (The best character though im using as a fireball/magic missile machine)
Rogue (archer, not sure how useful these are now to be honest)
Cleric (crossbow/spells mostly, backup tank if needed)

I'm trucking alright doing the ice temple at the moment though I have no idea what I should be worried about end game. What should I be looking out for with these characters exactly feat wise? I realised that wizards apparently get a bunch of +damage +resistance to elemental types out of nowhere though.

EDIT: gently caress whoever decided that some enemies should be 100% resistance to damage types that aren't X. Those bludgeon only damage golems are ridiculous and I had to run out and go buy a bunch of hammers to hit the thing.

kingcom fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Dec 8, 2013

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gyshall posted:

What level should I dual my Kensai in bg1 ee to a mage? My intention is to import this character in BG2 EE

Level 7 gets you an extra half attack, level 9 you stop gaining so much extra HP, level 13 you get the last half attack. If you want to be a mage in BGEE at some point, you'll have to do it at 7. If you're willing to wait, stay a kensai the whole time and dual in BG2. Really though if you're playing through BGEE I'd suggest a multiclass fighter/mage rather than dual class. No armor hurts pretty bad early on in BGEE, and by the time you get to ToB you can get both HLA types which is pretty sweet.

Piell fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 9, 2013

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Gyshall posted:

What level should I dual my Kensai in bg1 ee to a mage? My intention is to import this character in BG2 EE

There are two possible options, you can either dual at level four if you want a F/M in BG1, or play through BG1 purely as a Kensai and dual at the start of BG2, at level 8.

Going further than 8 ends up costing you Mage levels at the end, and makes it take a bit too long to get your fighter abilities back.

Insurrectionist
May 21, 2007
I find there's rarely a good reason to dual at 7 instead of 9 for F/M. Dualing at 7 is far more likely to gently caress you over in BG1 than 9 is - yes, you'll get to level 7/8 before Sarevok/the harder TotSC fights if you plan it right, and have your levels back, but that's a lot of time spent as a poo poo mage with good hp. Meanwhile, I think you can just about get to level 9 in a full-party EE playthrough that does everything, letting you dual at the start of BG2 when things are comparatively easy instead. On the other hand, if you're soloing, you can easily get to 9/10 before said Sarevok/TotSC bosses, especially if you abuse learning/erasing spells. I guess if you're doing a 3 - 4 character run it might be different, but considering those two extra hit-die are effectively doubled once you get a bit into BG2 I'd still be loath to give them up.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Minsc is a ranger. And since he has berserk and is Minsc, he's already better than you. Minsc is available early on in both BG1 and BG2. If you want a ranger then there you go.

Then again my favorite class is Swashbuckler (especially with the Rogue Rebalancing mod that gives Swashbuckler the THAC0 of a fighter when using melee weapons). That mod works with enhanced edition by the way.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 00:36 on Dec 9, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Les soldats se trouvent dans la vérité.

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Minsc is a ranger. And since he has berserk and is Minsc, he's already better than you. Minsc is available early on in both BG1 and BG2. If you want a ranger then there you go.
Minsc is great; he has an excellent strength score and you can get him at level 1 and shape his development, but his Dex and Con are only 15. A Ranger PC could actually make a better tank than Minsc due to a better AC and more HP and a better ranged combatant.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Now with 100% less DoTA crotchshots

I read somewhere that bard song could be used to calm Minsc out of his Berserk status, anyone know if this is true? If so, does it also work with Kiel's Morningstar/Brage's Sword? I'd love to finally be able to utilize those weapons (and use Minsc's rage for something other than just killing sirines).

edit; nevermind, tested it, complete bullshit (at least for BG:EE)

verybad fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Dec 9, 2013

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Insurrectionist posted:

Don't forget Rangers get Racial Enemy as well. Basically they get a lot of nice perks - Armor of Faith, Stealth, Racial Enemy (if you pick the right enemy) are all good at high levels, while Stealth, Racial Enemy, Charm Animal and free DW are great at low levels. The main issue is that Paladins get better spells and, depending on kit, innate abilities for higher level stuff.
By the way, what's the best Racial Enemy for Baldur's Gate 2? In my hardcore run of BG1 I had Spiders since they're both numerous and more dangerous than the other options. For 2 I was thinking of going with Dragons, though perhaps Demonic/Fell could be a good choice as well.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Factor_VIII posted:

By the way, what's the best Racial Enemy for Baldur's Gate 2? In my hardcore run of BG1 I had Spiders since they're both numerous and more dangerous than the other options. For 2 I was thinking of going with Dragons, though perhaps Demonic/Fell could be a good choice as well.

Demons are my pick for BG2. They're fairly common and run the gamut from wimps to serious fights. There are very few dragons in the game, and while Racial Enemy helps a bit against them, they're not common enough to justify it in my opinion.

EmperorCthulhu
Sep 12, 2011
I've been wanting to pick up BG2:EE. I watched/helped my neighbor play through when I was a kid and have never actually played though myself. Would it be better to start with BG1, or is it OK to jump right into 2?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

EmperorCthulhu posted:

I've been wanting to pick up BG2:EE. I watched/helped my neighbor play through when I was a kid and have never actually played though myself. Would it be better to start with BG1, or is it OK to jump right into 2?

It's fine to jump straight into 2, in fact that's the recommended option for people completely new to the series since it gives you a lot more direction as to what you're supposed to be doing, and combat at the mid-levels (which is where you start in BG2) is much more interesting than the first-level combat that you start with in BG1.

Once you get the hang of things then playing through the entire series with a single character is totally awesome, but it's very easy to burn out on BG1 before getting to the good parts unless you know what you're doing.

On the other hand, the expanded edition of BG1 is a lot cheaper, and if you're already kind of familiar with the game series you should be fine to start there. Both are viable options.

Jabor fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Dec 9, 2013

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

KING FAGGOT OF THE SHITPOST KINGDOM
Start with 2. 1 is really bland in lots of ways.

2 is much more exciting. Then you can play 1.

Corvinus
Aug 21, 2006

Cythereal posted:

Demons are my pick for BG2. They're fairly common and run the gamut from wimps to serious fights. There are very few dragons in the game, and while Racial Enemy helps a bit against them, they're not common enough to justify it in my opinion.

All Racial Enemy gives is a 4 THAC0 bonus, thus it is wasted on easy to hit enemies. Demons don't have especially low AC so even though there are not a lot of Dragons in the game, Racial Enemy: Dragon is still the only instance where (excepting perhaps certain Golems) that 4 extra actually matters enough to be a benefit.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

If you don't take racial enemy spider you are out of your gourd.

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Decrepus posted:

If you don't take racial enemy spider you are out of your gourd.

Not in BG2, where every (? Maybe not Phase spiders?) single spider enemy dies instantly to easily-obtainable Cloudkill :effort:

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

I may be insane, but Brage's sword actually seems far less annoying in EE. I remember giving that to Minsc in the old game and watching as he happily ended fights by gibbing my entire party. Now the berserk wears off in a few seconds provided I move everyone away from him.

Adam Bowen
Jan 6, 2003

This post probably contains a Rickroll link!

EmperorCthulhu posted:

Start with 1. 2 is the better game, but that doesn't mean it does everything better. Plus, the series is a trilogy and it's stupid to skip the first part of a trilogy if you're already going to invest like 100+ hours into it. If you get burned out on the first game then skip to the second, but at least give it a try.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

You may as well get BGEE since there will probably be a BG2 patch by the time you beat it anyway.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

Adam Bowen posted:

Start with 1. 2 is the better game, but that doesn't mean it does everything better. Plus, the series is a trilogy and it's stupid to skip the first part of a trilogy if you're already going to invest like 100+ hours into it. If you get burned out on the first game then skip to the second, but at least give it a try.
I'd suggest giving BG1 a try as well, especially if using the EE version or BGTutu. BG1 can be quite lethal due to low level characters being fragile, but low lever characters have the advantage of being easier to manage and fighting enemies is more straightforward. E.g. low level spellcasters only know a handful of spells so a starting player does't have to go through dozens of spell descriptions picking what to memorize. And you don't have to worry much about running into enemies immune to conventional attacks (other than perhaps vampiric wolves).

And of course BG2 spoils the plot of BG1 from the get-go.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Then again my favorite class is Swashbuckler (especially with the Rogue Rebalancing mod that gives Swashbuckler the THAC0 of a fighter when using melee weapons). That mod works with enhanced edition by the way.

This Rogue Rebalancing mod looks actually really good. How stable/buggy is it would you say? I'd only be interested in the core kit changes and HLA stuff myself but still what's there is really appealing.

Factor_VIII
Feb 2, 2005

verybad posted:

Polymorph Self and Shapeshift do grant extra attacks, though, and you can buff the forms by setting up sequencers or contingencies, or by scroll casting.
Doesn't that mean that the character is locked out of spellcasting though? Admittedly the same would partially happen with an F/M/C wearing armor, but it's possible to have a decent AC even without armor. A PC with 19 Dex, the Bracers of Defence AC 3, Helm of Balduran, Cloak of the Sewers, Ring of Gaxx, Defender of Easthaven and Ring of Protection +2 (all available in Chapter 2 of BG2) can have an AC of -8, leaving the armor slot open for the Robe of Vecna.

Plus, an F/M/C can get ridiculous resistance to physical damage, making AC less important. An F/M/C using Hardiness with Armor of Faith (level 20 as cleric) and Defender of Easthaven can get the following resistances. (And can then add Stoneskin and Mirror image on top of these, but admittedly so can a C/M.)

Only registered members can see post attachments!

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Captain Oblivious posted:

This Rogue Rebalancing mod looks actually really good. How stable/buggy is it would you say? I'd only be interested in the core kit changes and HLA stuff myself but still what's there is really appealing.

As far as I can tell there are no bugs at all, though like I said I just use the swashbuckler. I like being a thief but I don't like backstabbing so it works out. I'm weird, I know. Currently my installation of BG:EE is just Rogue Rebalancing and Sword Coast Stratagems.

SolidSnakesBandana fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 9, 2013

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007

It's perfectly stable. I used to run it with a bunch of other mods and there were no conflicts ever. It's a very well thought-out mod as well.

Note that iirc it doesn't work with the new shadowdancer kit.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

tirinal posted:

It's perfectly stable. I used to run it with a bunch of other mods and there were no conflicts ever. It's a very well thought-out mod as well.

Note that iirc it doesn't work with the new shadowdancer kit.

gently caress Shadowdancers anyway.

The mod looks pretty beneficial to every Rogue kit...except Bounty Hunter, who is probably worse off.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

gently caress Shadowdancers anyway.

The mod looks pretty beneficial to every Rogue kit...except Bounty Hunter, who is probably worse off.

Shadowdancers would be good if they could use standard backstab progressions or could set traps. But they can't so they aren't.

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Shadowdancers are unlock/detect bots until Use Any Item, after which point you spend the remainder of your playthrough breaking the game instead of beating it.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

Any class that requires HLA's to be useful isn't really worth playing in my opinion.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Factor_VIII posted:

Doesn't that mean that the character is locked out of spellcasting though? Admittedly the same would partially happen with an F/M/C wearing armor, but it's possible to have a decent AC even without armor. A PC with 19 Dex, the Bracers of Defence AC 3, Helm of Balduran, Cloak of the Sewers, Ring of Gaxx, Defender of Easthaven and Ring of Protection +2 (all available in Chapter 2 of BG2) can have an AC of -8, leaving the armor slot open for the Robe of Vecna.

Plus, an F/M/C can get ridiculous resistance to physical damage, making AC less important. An F/M/C using Hardiness with Armor of Faith (level 20 as cleric) and Defender of Easthaven can get the following resistances. (And can then add Stoneskin and Mirror image on top of these, but admittedly so can a C/M.)

Well, you do lose spellcasting while shapeshifted, but I'm not seeing the big the problem. Assumably you shapeshift when you need to be a melee monster, not when you need to do some spellcasting.* As for physical resistances, if you really need them after mirror image/stoneskin, there's always iron golem for 20%, or the rat form from cloak of the sewers for 90% base.

*For extra fun times, slap shapechange, BSOD and chain contingency scrolls in your quick items and have a simulacrum do the shapeshifting for you. Best summon in the game? Yeah.

caleramaen posted:

Shadowdancers would be good if they could use standard backstab progressions or could set traps. But they can't so they aren't.

The current no-reload thread had a couple of shadowdancers and they looked pretty strong to me. I think you're underestimating the ability to stealth under vision (while not wasting a spellcasting action).

steakmancer
May 18, 2010

by Lowtax
You still get Rogue THAC0 and triple backstab for most of SoA.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.

It's a mod by avenger and Wisp which means you can pretty much count on it being very good and 99% stable.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

It really does make bounty hunters less than useless, especially now when EE has made all other thief kit traps into original game bounty hunter traps.

verybad
Apr 23, 2010

Basic Chunnel posted:

It really does make bounty hunters less than useless, especially now when EE has made all other thief kit traps into original game bounty hunter traps.

Dude, maze traps.

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

Never quite understood the hate for Rogues - my fighters and mages have more than enough OP goodness in them to deal with the challenges of the game, so what if I've got a dude that only brings traps and lockpicking to the table?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
I also forgot to mention that I use the Garrett soundset and portrait which I realize is thematically inappropriate for a swashbuckler but drat if it doesn't own. I'm also really fond of the Sebasitan Lacroix soundset (from Vampire The Masquerade: Bloodlines) and it works really well for BG.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

verybad posted:

Dude, maze traps.

We're referring to Rogue Rebalancing Bounty Hunters, wherein they lose Maze Traps. And gain some pretty lovely effects on their traps.

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

oswald ownenstein posted:

Never quite understood the hate for Rogues - my fighters and mages have more than enough OP goodness in them to deal with the challenges of the game, so what if I've got a dude that only brings traps and lockpicking to the table?

It's not really "hate" for rogues, it's just acknowledgement that they're not really worth using in terms of battle effectiveness.

e: assuming no metagaming/trap exploits

oswald ownenstein
Jan 30, 2011

John McCain posted:

It's not really "hate" for rogues, it's just acknowledgement that they're not really worth using in terms of battle effectiveness.

e: assuming no metagaming/trap exploits

Is 'run up, backstab, run away, restealth, repeat' considered metagaming?

Because that nonsense got me through quite a bit of BG1 as a youngster in the yorish day of 1998.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John McCain
Jan 29, 2009

oswald ownenstein posted:

Is 'run up, backstab, run away, restealth, repeat' considered metagaming?

Because that nonsense got me through quite a bit of BG1 as a youngster in the yorish day of 1998.

No, not really, but it's a lot of micromanagement for relatively small return.