Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ddegenha
Jan 28, 2009

What is this?!
Goons, have you forgotten your highschool years so quickly? CHEWBACCA! When in doubt, choose C!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EagerSleeper
Feb 3, 2010

by R. Guyovich
B

I'm afraid to admit that I don't get the Porky references here...

Yon
Oct 7, 2003

Just one spice?
Just one spice
Just one spice...
C for Science!

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.

vibratingsheep posted:

Goon: That yukata really suits you. You look cute!
Shiori: Th, thanks. I'm happy to hear it.

There it is, the bright red blush of one of the most popular 2D girls in Japan. We're going to have to get used to her making this face pretty soon.

...I have to admit, Shiori is now growing on me. :blush:

...I'm still not changing my vote, though. And it's really just a total coincidence that my room looks like this. Honest.

cyxx
Oct 1, 2005

Byon!

EagerSleeper posted:

B

This is the poster for the first Porky's

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Queen Fiona posted:

...I have to admit, Shiori is now growing on me. :blush:

...I'm still not changing my vote, though. And it's really just a total coincidence that my room looks like this. Honest.

On one hand, dedication to one's hobbies is perfectly fine. On the other hand, referring to a fictional character as -sama and spending 80+% of your income on her merchandise is kinda hilarious.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Queen Fiona posted:

The heck's with the big ol' standee of Sakura from Sakura Wars, otaku dude? That really stands out.

Edit: I read more and she's not even his favorite Sakura Wars character? He's bad at this.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Of all evil I deem you capable: therefore I want the good from you. Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws.
Maybe he's pretending it's Yuina in cosplay.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.

vibratingsheep posted:

An actual playthrough of the game only takes 5-10 hours, adding about 15 minutes every time you have to reload. It's the translation work, research into the '90s, and screenshot capturing/management that takes a while.

[...]

I could probably work the translation portion a lot faster, but Yuina's speech patterns are so different from the norm that I wanted to make sure the English translation captured as many of the nuances as possible.

Out of respect for the work you're doing/putting in, I almost want to change my vote to "whatever makes things easier for you."

Then I remembered that I'm rooting for Super Nintendo Hard, even if it's a purely meta sense vs. actual game difficulty. :black101:

Hellioning posted:

On one hand, dedication to one's hobbies is perfectly fine. On the other hand, referring to a fictional character as -sama and spending 80+% of your income on her merchandise is kinda hilarious.

Please don't forget the "two and a half years I've been serving her" line. (Emphasis mine)

But honestly it could be worse. Part of the Girl's Side games was being able to receive presents that your in-game character could wear. And then they made real versions of them that you could also wear... for 14,700yen each.

Kimitsu fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Dec 7, 2013

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Fudou, Gunzou. The Face of the Franchise Killer. 2004.

Kimitsu posted:

Out of respect for the work you're doing/putting in, I almost want to change my vote to "whatever makes things easier for you."

Don't worry about me, I'm having a blast doing this. Vote for what you want to see!

Schir
Jan 23, 2012

I feel like I've got to C what Yuina's like now.

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

Kimitsu posted:

Please don't forget the "two and a half years I've been serving her" line. (Emphasis mine)

But honestly it could be worse. Part of the Girl's Side games was being able to receive presents that your in-game character could wear. And then they made real versions of them that you could also wear... for 14,700yen each.

To be fair, Yuina seems like she'd be kinda into that. (Probably not from a weird stalker-ish otaku, though. Except as an utterly disposable test subject.)

As for merchandising, really, that's not too bad. I've seen worse. Hell, I probably own worse somewhere in all my still-packed boxes of soon-to-be-liquidated nerd crap. It's not really unique to Japan, either, although the Western market tends to be somewhat cheaper while leaving girl-oriented replicas like that to Etsy. (Then again, as we speak, I'm currently looking at Kirameki High School cosplay uniforms - a decision inspired by this very thread! - so I'm probably not a person you should ask about sane purchasing decisions.)

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

vibratingsheep posted:

Don't worry about me, I'm having a blast doing this. Vote for what you want to see!

Oh good, because I'm not changing my vote either. :colbert:

Seriously though, you're doing really great work and now I'm going to try to stop heaping praise on you because we're only 4 updates in.

Crepuscule Adepte
Feb 21, 2008

Why is my hair purple? It's from the blood of everyone that lost a bet against me.
Well, I haven't voted yet, so... A. Let's meet more of the characters before we insist on another character. Then we can actually make informed decisions.

Junpei Hyde
Mar 15, 2013

Let's just wait and C.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Oh snap, first crazy Science girl Yuina, now we might meet (potentially crazy) baseball girl Saki? Everything's coming up Goon! Sticking with B though, as my desire to see more of science girl remains slightly less than my desire to see how the sequels change/improve this already really cool game.

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

EagerSleeper posted:

B

As noted above, there's a scene in Porky's where the boys that the movie is about find several holes in the wall to the girls' shower room. One of them inadvertently yells for one of the girls to stop blocking his peephole, alerting them to the boys' presence. After a few attempts at eliciting the girls to show off, a different guy sticks his dick through one of the peepholes. Unfortunately the middle-aged female coach walks in at that point, sneaks up on the guy, and grabs his wang as hard as she can. This part means nothing in the context of the game but it makes the movie funny as hell.

Fake Edit: Since we've wasted this much time on Shiori, I say B.

Albu-quirky Guy fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 8, 2013

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

I don't know if it's too late but I'd like to vote C.
I'd like to see the crazy.

Edit: I'm also really enjoying the translation quality so far.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Well, THAT's interesting.

It appears to be a tie between B and C... unless I take The_Frag_Man's vote into account, which technically came in after the deadline but was something I mentioned that I would consider.

I never mentioned any tiebreaker rules, so what I'm going to do is compromise and call for a revote. However, I won't call for this revote until the end of the current run - which, it must be mentioned, is about 25-30% done! So it will only be a couple weeks... hopefully.

The vote will be between moving straight on to 2 (with a brief segment on the side stories) or going back to play another time through, with the girl of the goons' choice.

In other words, I'm punting to 1998. Next post will be up tonight.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

The_Frag_Man posted:

I'm also really enjoying the translation quality so far.

It's pretty good! I've made it this far without having to wince at even one awkward turn of phrase, which must be some kind of record for a fan translation.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Chapter 5: Fall 1995, Ducking and Weaving

The first semester wasn't very notable. But now our stats are higher, and things are going to start getting truly hairy. I can show you fear in a handful of blushes...

9/11-9/14, 9/16: :science:
9/15 (holiday): Sleep
9/17 (Sunday): Study lit
9/18-9/22: Sleep
9/23 (holiday): Concert band
9/24 (sunday): Hang out with Yoshio and Friends

It's going to be a quiet September, so I might as well sneak this in just to show a screenshot of what it looks like.

9/25-9/30: Concert Band

9/26: Event!

Goon: (School's out. I feel pretty tired today.)
(THUD)
Girl: Oh, sorry!
Goon: You again?
Girl: Oh no, I won't make it to the concert!
Goon: What's her deal? That's twice now.

Another warning shot from Yuuko. Still in the clear!

10/1 (Sunday): Study lit
10/2-10/7: Concert Band
10/8 (Sunday): Date with Shiori!

Goon: (Today's my date with Shiori! I should go meet her at the theater.)

Goon: Have you been waiting long?
Shiori: No, I just got here myself.
Goon: Phew, glad I wasn't late.
Shiori: The movie's starting soon, we should hurry and get inside.

This dialogue won't change until Shiori's affection rises some more.

Shiori: There are some open seats over there, let's go grab them.

Movie theaters in Japan are pretty different from the ones here in the States. Because real estate is so precious, they tend to be smaller, and built vertically. They have to do way more than sell overpriced popcorn to make their leases, so it's very common for movie theaters in Japan to go upscale. Reserved seating is the norm, ticket prices are about 50% higher than American prices, there are gift shops with merchandise related to many of the movies playing (including Playbill-style programs), and they even serve beer!

Movies usually only last about 4-5 weeks in the theaters, and because screen time is so scarce with so few screens per capita, release dates are rationed out months in advance. Hollywood blockbusters and other guaranteed hits get released in bunches while school is out, often causing a delay in a Japanese release for early summer blockbusters. Spring break, Golden Week, summer vacation, and Christmas are all prime times for movies, and if you've been paying attention, you'll realize that this only covers nine weeks of the year - a bare fraction of the American blockbuster season. The film industry has gone as far as to try and declare Silver Week to try and boost filmwatching, which didn't catch on in the '50s but has been redefined in the last few years and has become a new window for movie-watching. Speaking of changes in the past few years, the Japanese movie industry used to be really arthouse-oriented. These days, it's getting way more commercialized, with a lot of popular franchises getting annual movies. Every year you are guaranteed a Kamen Rider movie, a tokusatsu/Power Rangers movie (sometimes a Kamen Rider-Tokusatsu crossover movie), two Precure movies, a Detective Conan movie, a One Piece movie, and a movie a year from Ghibli as well.

Goon: (Forres and Gump is a movie that really captures the devotion and earnestness of a man in love.)

Nope. It's totally not Forrest Gump.

Voice: "This showing has ended. Please exit the theater."

Goon: Option 1: Wasn't that movie fun?

Shiori likes romances. This is the only right choice.

Shiori: Yes, it was wonderful. I love these movies.
Goon: (Looks like I made a great impression!)
Shiori: Today was a lot of fun. We should do this again some time, okay?
Goon: Definitely. I'll call you again soon.
Shiori: We should head home, Gunpei-kun.

This exchange won't change for a while either. It should start changing on us in a few months, if we play our cards right.

Goon: Hmm? There's a message on the answering machine. I wonder what it is?
Club president: Starting tomorrow, we're getting ready for the culture festival. You need to come help us at the club!
Goon: (I have to help prepare for our club's presentation.)
Goon: (Time to get ready for the culture festival with the rest of the club.)

The only option is club activity, because the Culture festival is coming! Like many school fairs across the world, school festivals in Japan are a combination of street fair and talent show. Most Japanese culture festivals are closed to the public and are by invitation only. Usually, invitations go out to the friends and family of students, and in high school, invitations also go out to middle school students who want to see what the school is like.

The Concert Band, the Light Music Club, the Drama Club, and other art-based clubs usually put on a performance in the gym during the culture festival.

Strangely? No mini-games.

10/9, 10/11-10/13: Concert band
10/10 (holiday): Preen

10/14: Event!

Goon: Today's the culture festival.
Goon: The Concert Band will be performing a game music concert in the gym. I have to go get ready!

Shiori: It's almost time for us to go on stage. Do you think I'll be able to go without missing a note?
Goon: You'll be fine. As long as we do it just like we practiced, it'll go well.
Shiori: You're right. We'll be fine, right?
Goon: I'm telling you it'll be fine. Relax.
Shiori: By the way, what song is this?
Goon: It's a song from a video game. I love this song.
Shiori: A song from a video game... oh, it's time to go on stage.

edit: Friendly Googling in Japanese says that this song is from Gradius. If anyone wants to post the performance on Youtube, I can send you my raw footage and the appropriate time stamps. I don't have the time to do it myself!

Shiori: It looked like the audience didn't really enjoy it.
Goon: Do you think we chose the wrong genre?
Shiori: That may be the case, but we have to make sure we play better next year.
Goon: That's true.
Goon: (And that's how the curtain went down on the culture festival.)

Your success/failure in culture festival activities is mostly based on how often you chose the club activity. We will be better next year, so we can't really dodge the flood of popularity that Goon will see starting in '96. Cue ominous music!

10/15 (Sunday): Preen
10/16-10/21: Concert Band

For certain activities, girls associated with that activity will appear next to Goon and participate. This has a very small effect on affection, but it adds up over time. While the girl is there, you can get a special scene for getting a full week of successful activities. Conveniently, this happens in Shiori's very first week hanging out at club with us!

10/21: Event!

Goon: (This week went perfectly according to plan!)
Shiori: You played really well today!
Goon: Thanks.
Goon: (Awesome, I'm even more motivated now.)

10/22 (Sunday): Sleep
10/23-10/28: Concert Band

No event. I just think Shiori's sprite is hilarious on bad days.

10/29 (Sunday): Study lit
10/30-11/2, 11/4: Sleep

10/31: Event!

Goon: (Man, I am exhausted. I should hurry home.)
Goon: (Oh hey, that's Shiori over there.)
Goon: Hey, Shiori!
Shiori: Oh, Gunpei-kun. Are you heading home?

Option 1: Want to walk home together?
Option 2: Yes I am. Bye!

Walking home from school or walking a girl home is another of those small events that can raise the affection of a girl slowly but surely. It happens randomly after regular school days.

Goon: Want to walk home together?
Shiori: If we walk home together, it could be really embarrassing because my friends might start to gossip about us...
Goon: Oh, I see. Well then, bye.
Shiori: Sorry. Goodbye!
Goon: (Can't be helped. Time to head home alone.)

Seriously, Shiori? You live next door. Who could you possibly be afraid of?

Oh. Good point.

11/3 (holiday): Read Memorial Spot, then call Yuina
Cultural note: The holiday on 11/3 is why most culture festivals happen in the fall - it's Culture Day in Japan.

Memorial Spot December/January/February
The aquarium has opened!
Current movie playing: Somersault (The Japanese name for Guile's Flash Kick - meaning that this is Street Fighter: the Movie. Let's... let's not take anyone to see that movie.)
Concert: WIZARD (Legendary rock group Zard, who notably provided the opening and ending songs for Tokimeki Memorial 3. These songs were pretty much the only good things about the game.)
A koala is coming to the zoo!

The Konami ad is for Twinbee, which is actually included in Tokimemo as a mini-game/Easter egg. You have to join the Computer Club for it.

Goon: (Hmm, an aquarium? Oh yeah, and it seems like it'll be easier to manage my album data if I remember to create a system file.)

Um, thanks.

Yuina: Yes, this is Himoo.
Goon: Um... this is Fudou Gunpei.
Yuina: Gunpei-kun. You've been acting overly familiar with me lately. Can I help you?
Goon: Want to go to the zoo on 11/26?
Yuina: Your luck has run out....
Yuina: ...for I appear to be free on that day.

I'm not falling for it this time, woman. I actually made a mistake here calling on 11/3 and not 11/5. The game only allows setting dates 4 weeks in advance, and I meant to have Yuina meet the koala. The koala and Yuina have a... special relationship. We'll find out more if I go back for a Yuina playthrough. But my memory of it is why I set the koala as my cursor.

Goon: Okay, let's meet in front of the zoo on the 26th.
Yuina: You dare to give me orders?
Goon: Alright then, where would you like to meet?
Yuina: ...Your previous suggestion is acceptable.
Yuina: Our business is completed, and I am hanging up.
Goon: Woohoo! I can't wait for the 26th.

11/5 (Sunday): :science:

Tactically, this is not ideal, since Science is one of the activities we can still safely do at school. However, midterms are coming up and it's important to raise our stats whenever an opportunity arises.

11/6-11/11: Concert Band

11/7: Repeated event: Seeing Shiori after school Shot down again. This is exactly the same dialogue as before, and it happens so often, I'm only going to bring it up when we actually do go home with someone in the future.

11/12 (Sunday): Study Lit
11/13-11/18: :science:
11/19 (Sunday): Sleep
11/20-11/22, 11/24-11/25: :science:
11/23 (holiday): Preen

11/26: Date with Yuina

Goon: Today's my date with Yuina.
Goon: (Alright, let's go wait for Yuina at the zoo.)

Goon: Were you waiting long?
Yuina: Not really. You're right on time.
Goon: I'm glad I wasn't late.
Yuina: Come on, we're going in now.

Translation/cultural note: Just like it was with opening her birthday present, when Yuina says this, there is no opportunity to say no.

Yuina: I would love to have this many lab animals.

Option 1: Can you really keep that many pets?
Option 2: No way, that's cruel!
Option 3: Do you think this many would be enough?

Tactics decree that we should find as neutral a response as possible here. But this seems like a bad-bad-good set of choices, so we'll stick with 3.

Yuina: If I had this many, it would be a good first step.
Goon: (Looks like I made a decent impression.)

Yuina: It's nice to take a break like this every once in a while.
Goon: Does that mean I can invite you out again some time?
Yuina: I can't allow you to get too familiar... but a little bit won't hurt.
Goon: Great, I'll call you.
Yuina: It's time for me to head home. Bye, Gunpei-kun.

Unlike Shiori, hearing this from Yuina is a good sign. We'd like to hear neutral responses from her for as long as possible.

Before choosing our weekday action, it's time to check the calendar.

12/24 is the big Christmas party, and while Japan doesn't generally observe Christianity, the secular version of Christmas has been adopted by the Japanese as a day for romance, gift-giving, and, strangely, Kentucky Fried Chicken. It's a pretty big party holiday like New Year's Eve here, and it doesn't hurt that 12/23 has been a national holiday since the start of the Heisei period in 1989 - it's the Emperor's birthday.

With midterms coming up, we should make sure to keep working on those academic stats. Sports can wait until next year's sports day.

11/27-12/2: :science:
12/3 (Sunday): Preen

Maintaining our looks is going to be important too. You'll see why on Christmas.

12/4-12/9: Concert band
12/4: EVENT!

(THUD)
Goon: Ow.
Mysterious Girl: Oops! I'm sorry!
Goon: Hmm? Oh, I'm fine now.
Mysterious Girl: I'm truly sorry! I've... got to go...
Goon: What a weird hairstyle.

Surprisingly, this is the introduction of Tatebayashi Miharu, one of the game's secret characters. I didn't include her in the poll because meeting her is entirely random. If this keeps up, she'll just keep bumping into Goon in the hallway, apologizing, and running off. She's not tied to a single stat, her events are entirely RNG-based, and you can't call her to invite her out on dates, so she makes for a really boring play-through.

Also, she's a stalker. If you keep an eye out for loopy green hair in the background, you'll probably start finding her head pretty quickly. Finding Miharu's hair peeking out is like this game's version of Where's Waldo?

12/10 (Sunday): Study lit
12/11-12/16: Midterms

Goon's stats are significantly higher this time around, leading to this screen:

Bam. 29th in the class, ahead of everyone but Shiori. All that studying has paid off! Suck it, Rei, all that money and yet your test scores are worse than Goon's. Also of note: Miharu is surprisingly smart. I guess that's what comes from doing nothing but staying at home and stalking Goon.

12/17: Call Shiori

Successfully make a date for 1/14 at Kirameki Central Park. I've skipped the dialogue, since it's still the same. Also for reasons that are explained later.

12/18-12/22: Preen
12/23 (Holiday): Study lit
12/24 (Christmas Eve): Ijuuin Christmas Party

The Ijuuin family's Christmas party is the highlight of Tokimeki Memorial's social calendar. The main reason we've been spending so much time maintaining our looks is because the party has a bouncer - if we don't look good enough, he'll kick us out. There is a second way in if our Sports stat is high enough and we can get past him, but the Sports requirement is way higher than the Looks requirement.

Goon: (They're holding a Christmas party at the Ijuuin house today. I should probably head to the grounds.)
Goon: Here I am at the Ijuuin house. No matter how many times I see it, this place still looks enormous to me.

Man in black: Would you happen to be a friend of Rei-sama?
Goon: I don't know if we're friends, but we're classmates.
Man in black: That's good enough. Please come inside.

Goon: Looks like the party's just starting.

Rei: Welcome, everyone, to the pride of the Ijuuin family - our Christmas party.
Rei: Forget your dreary everyday lives, and make merry tonight!
Goon: What a poser.

Rei: Did you say something?
Goon: Crap, Ijuuin? How long have you been standing there?
Rei: Your manner of speech is quite rude... but today is a special day. Perhaps I shall forgive you.
Goon: I don't need your forgiveness.
Rei: Hmph. You have some nerve, coming in here looking like that.
Goon: I don't need to take that from you.
Rei: I shall tell the man at the gate to be more discerning next year.
Goon: (...he's not even listening to a word I say.)

The minimum Looks to get into the first Christmas party is 70. In year 2, it requires Looks 100, and year 3, it requires Looks 120. For reference, those numbers in Sports are 150/175/200.

Rei: Well, now that you're here, you might as well sample some of the haute cuisine that you peasants cannot normally enjoy.
Rei: Haaaahahahahahaha! And now, I must excuse myself.
Goon: What a dick.

And now comes the important part of the Christmas party: talking to the girls. The game will choose the three girls with the highest affection rating and have us talk to them. Their affection rating will go up further. This is why, since we've only met two girls, we're going to be forced to meet a third. It's also important for the mini-game later.

Shiori: Ah, Gunpei! You were invited too!
Goon: Oh, Shiori, you're here?
Goon: (I talked with Shiori for a while)
Shiori: My friends are waiting for me, so I'm going to go meet back up with them.
Goon: Okay, see you later.

Yuina: Oh, Gunpei-kun. You came as well.
Goon: I didn't expect to find you here, Himoo-san.
Goon: (I talked to Himoo-san for a while)
Yuina: I still have some experiments to run, so I must go soon.
Goon: Okay, see you later.

Goon: (Hmm? That girl over there isn't looking very well.)

Goon: Excuse me, are you feeling sick? Do you need any help?
(sound of girl collapsing)
Goon: Whoa! Are you okay? Somebody help!
Mio: I'm... I'm okay.
Goon: Are you sure you're okay? You scared the hell out of me, falling over like that.
Mio: I'm sorry for shocking you like that...
Goon: That's all fine, but you should get more rest if you're feeling ill.
Mio: Thank you. My name is Kisaragi Mio. Could you tell me your name?
Goon: Oh, uh, I'm Fudou Gunpei. Anyway, Kisaragi-san, take care of yourself and don't overdo it.
Mio: Thank you for your concern, Fudou-san.

Here comes one of the biggest barriers to the path of Utter Perfection: the present exchange. The capstone of the Ijuuin Christmas party is a white elephant exchange, where everyone brings one present and opens a different one. There are four presents to pick from - one from each of the girls we've met earlier in the party, and one from Rei himself. Opening a girl's present lowers Stress by 10 and slightly raises her affection rating. Getting Rei's present raises stress by 10.

There is no way to tell present which is which. It's a 25% chance of getting it right each time.

Game: It's time for the gift exchange. Pick which present you'd like to open.
Goon: (Which should I pick?)

Game: It's Kisaragi-san's present! A book of Goethe poems... that's so like her.
Goon: (I'm glad I came today! It's time to head home, though.)

At this point, I realized that I'd made a terrible mistake and saved at the end of November. WELP.

RELOAD COUNT: 9

To be continued! Next time: Way more than Twelve Days of Christmas. Plus: Not THE God... A god.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 9, 2013

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

FractalSandwich posted:

It's pretty good! I've made it this far without having to wince at even one awkward turn of phrase, which must be some kind of record for a fan translation.

Thanks! Although the fan translation part is something of a technicality - I've worked on the English end of localization before. It was even for Konami! (Metal Gear: Acid. I have no idea if I am in the credits for that game, but you can also find me in the credits of Death Jr., which I worked on at the same time as MG:A)

Okay, back to writing up Groundhog Christmas.

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Dec 9, 2013

Queen Fiona
Jan 8, 2008

vibratingsheep posted:

It appears to be a tie between B and C... unless I take The_Frag_Man's vote into account, which technically came in after the deadline but was something I mentioned that I would consider.

Well, at least it's clear in one way. 9 out of 10 goons agree - science wins! :science: (Or 'La science pour gagner!' as my fiancee's mouse packaging says! She pronounces it 'gag-ner'.)

As for the update proper, how difficult would Mio have made this run if we weren't going to reload things to get the best result possible? I'm assuming each reload has us randomly meeting a different girl? (Also, oh hey, Megumi showed up. Why does she stalk us so much, anyway? I suppose it would help if we had a personality, like...you know...that, uh...that one dating sim with a protagonist with a personality. That one. Yes.)

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

Queen Fiona posted:

I suppose it would help if we had a personality, like...you know...that, uh...that one dating sim with a protagonist with a personality. That one. Yes.

Hatoful Boyfriend?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

vibratingsheep posted:

Every year you are guaranteed a Kamen Rider movie, a tokusatsu/Power Rangers movie (sometimes a Kamen Rider-Tokusatsu crossover movie)

Specifically, during the first half of the year, you get the two standalone movies for the current Kamen Rider and Super Sentai series, presented in a double feature. Then at the end of the year, you get the Kamen Rider Movie Wars movie, where the current Kamen Rider and the previous Kamen Rider cross over (due to the staggered releases between KR and Sentai, the "current Rider" of this movie is the one after the Rider of the standalone movie), and the Super Sentai VS movie, which has the current Sentai team cross over with the previous Sentai team (this is the same "current team" as earlier in the year), also in a double feature. In the last couple of years, during about the summer, there's also been a third crossover movie, Super Hero Taisen, which crosses over both Super Sentai and Kamen Rider (and in the second one, Metal Heroes). The Super Hero Taisen movies so far have not been good. At all.

In fact, the crossover movies for this year's Sentai, Kyoryuger, and Rider, Gaim, are coming out in Japan in about a week.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
So you're just going to have to keep reloading until you get the right present? I'm curious as to if that's actually necessary for the Shiori route or if it's just a thing you're doing because perfection.

If it's the former, then wow that is really bullshit.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Thanks! Although the fan translation part is something of a technicality - I've worked on the English end of localization before. It was even for Konami!

I can call it a "guerrilla translation" instead, if you prefer.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

Christmas 1995: Groundhog Goon.

Because I was careless about saving in Christmas, I had to reload to 11/26. This means that the test scores, the meeting with Miharu, and the meeting with Mio never happened. Some of these things are better than others.

12/2: New event!

This week of :science: has been nothing but failures, and as you might expect, there's an event for that too.

Rei: With such pathetic efforts, you cannot and will not attract the attention of a lady.
Goon: .......
Goon: (Ugh, I just can't bring myself to care anymore.)

12/3 (Sunday): Study lit
12/4-12/9: Concert Band
12/10 (Sunday): Preen

This time, the results are only good enough for 32nd in class. Well, I guess that's alright.

12/17 (Sunday): Concert Band
12/18-12/22: Concert Band

12/21: Event!

I wanted to do something different this run, so I invited Yuina to walk home.

Goon: (Oh, hey, Himoo-san is right over there.)
Goon: Hey, Himoo-san.
Yuina: Gunpei-kun. Are you heading home?
Goon: Yeah. Want to walk home together?
Yuina: That's fine with me. And now, we head home.
Goon: Okay, let's go.

You're probably getting the idea now of why Yuina fans call her the -sama honorific. She just can't comprehend a world in which her authority is not absolute.

Goon: Himoo-san, what're your plans over winter break?
Yuina: I plan on nothing but research the entire time.
Goon: O...oh. (I feel stupid for asking.)
Goon: (We walked home talking about little stuff like that.)

12/23 (Holiday): Preen
12/24: The Second Day of Christmas

The exchanges with the man in black, Rei, Shiori, and Yuina are the same this time.

(bump)
Mira: Eek!
Goon: Oh, I'm sorry!
Mira: Hey, why don't you watch where you're going?
Goon: No, um, uh...
Goon: Uh, it's because you're so pretty I wasn't paying attention...
Mira: I see. Well if that was the case, I can't blame you.
Goon: (Whew, she bought it)
Mira: What is your name?
Goon: It's Fudou Gunpei.
Mira: You should already know this, but my name is Kagami Mira. And now, you'll have to excuse me.
Goon: (That girl was the same Kagami-san who has the fan club at school?)
Goon: (She seems kind of harsh.)

Game: It's time for the gift exchange. Pick which present you'd like to open.

pleasepleasepleasepleaseplease

Game: It's Kagami-san's present! What? A fan club membership kit? It even has a membership card!
Goon: (I'm glad I came today! It's time to head home, though.)

RELOAD COUNT: 10

Yes, I forgot to save again. :bang:

12/3 (Sunday): Study lit
12/4-12/9: Concert Band Successful week event - see above
12/10 (Sunday): Remember to save then Study lit
12/11-12/16: Midterms Back to 29th. Woohoo!
12/17 (Sunday): Preen
12/18-12/22: Exercise
12/22: Event!

I think I've made a mistake. I chose to exercise while our Guts are high, and it's not Winter Break yet. I think this means... oh no...

Goon: Wheeeew, what a workout.
Goon: (Running in the morning feels great!)

Nozomi: Good morning!
Goon: Uh, good morning.
Goon: (I wonder why she's talking to me?)
Nozomi: Did you just finish your morning run?
Goon: Yeah, I did. Same with you?
Nozomi: I've never missed my 50k in the morning.
Goon: F...50K?! Every morning?! Are... are you a Kirameki High student?
Nozomi: Yes, I am. I'm Kiyokawa Nozomi. Do you go there too?
Goon: Yeah. My name's Fudou Gunpei. Wait, Kiyokawa...
Goon: You mean THAT Kiyokawa, from the swimming team?
Nozomi: One and the same... so you've heard of me?
Goon: Of course I have, you're super famous!
Goon: (She's a super high school level swimmer. I thought she'd be... less refined, I guess?)

Yes, the phrasing used to describe Nozomi is the exact same that Dangan Ronpa uses years later to describe its characters. Take that as you will.

Nozomi: Super famous, you say? Well, whatever - let's go running together some time!
Goon: Hahaha... I hope I can keep up with you, Kiyokawa-san.
Nozomi: Hahaha, no way. Anyway, it's time for the next leg of my run.
Goon: I think I'll stay here and take a breather.
Nozomi: Here, I don't need the rest of this juice. Have it. Bye!
Goon: ...gulpgulpgulp...
Goon: Wait, isn't this an indirect kiss? Jackpot!

12/24: The Third Day of Christmas

Most everything is the same, until...

Those dead eyes... Shiori... don't say it...

Shiori: Oh yeah, I have a friend I want to introduce you to.

Oh God. No. Not now. Not this early.

Goon: Introduce me to?
Shiori: If you stay here, she'll come by, so please just wait here for a second.
Goon: Wait for a second, you say...
Shiori: I have to go, talk to you later!
Goon: Talk to you later!
Goon: (Huh? I wonder who it is?)

REE REE REE REE REE REE

Megumi: Um... good evening.
Goon: Good evening.
Goon: (Who is this girl?)
Megumi: Um... I'm Fujisaki-san's friend...
Megumi: Mikihara... Megumi.
Megumi: And um... farewell.
Goon: ...We never actually talked about anything.
Goon: (Mikihara-san, eh? I wonder what she wanted? She was pretty cute, though.)

REE REE REE REE REE REE

Nozomi: Oh, Fudou-kun! You got invited?
Goon: Kiyokawa-san, I didn't know you were here.
Goon: (I talked to Kiyokawa-san for a while)
Nozomi: Sorry to cut this short, but I gotta go.
Goon: Okay, talk to you later!

Gift Exchange of DOOOOOM

Game: Ugh... This... is this a signed 8x10? What the hell is that guy thinking?
Goon: (I really would've preferred a present from a girl... ugh, guess I'll head home.)

:bang:

RELOAD COUNT: 11

Rei beat us this time. drat him!

12/24: The Fourth Day of Christmas

This run is the same as the first day of Christmas - we meet Mio at the end. And we get the book of Goethe poems again. I really wish Past Me would remember to save on the night of the 17th!

RELOAD COUNT: 12

12/24: The Fifth Day of Christmas

In this version, Shiori introduces us to Mikihara Megumi again, then we meet Yuina.

Game: It's Himoo-san's present! The Hyper-Watch! Amazing!

RELOAD COUNT: 13

12/24: The Sixth Day of Christmas

In this run, the two Preen actions failed, which left the Looks stat at 69. Let's see what happens! At least it won't end in a 25% lottery!

Man in black: Would you happen to be a friend of Rei-sama?
Goon: I don't know if we're friends, but we're classmates.
Man in Black: I beg your pardon, but I cannot allow you inside wearing such clothing.
Goon: What? Is that so?
Man in Black: Indeed. My instructions are very clear.
Goon: (drat. I guess I have to celebrate Christmas alone this year.)

Goon: Merry Christmas! I'm having so much fun.
Goon: Ugh, next year. Next year I'll have a merry Christmas for sure!

RELOAD COUNT: 14

12/24: The Seventh Day of Christmas

In this version, we meet Shiori, who introduces us to Megumi again. Then it's Yuina, and then...

Game: It's Himoo-san's present! The Hyper-Watch! Amazing!

RELOAD COUNT: 15

12/24: The Eighth Day of Christmas

This run has no Megumi, so it goes Shiori, Yuina, and then...

Ayako: Merry Christmas!
Goon: Umm, Merry Christmas. (?? Who is this girl?)
Ayako: You were just talking to Ijuuin-kun, weren't you? Are you a Kirameki High student?
Goon: I am, but who're you?
Ayako: I'm Katagiri Ayako. What's your name?
Goon: I'm Fudou Gunpei.
Ayako: As I was saying, it's rare to see one of Ijuuin-kun's friends.
Goon: We're not really friends.
Ayako: Don't be so shy. I hope we bump into each other again at school!
Goon: Y...yeah. (What do I have to be shy about?)
Ayako: Alright, goodbye!
Goon: G, goodbye. (She's kinda weird.)

Translator's note: Ayako says Goodbye twice here. Once in English, and once in Japanese. Her English is pretty drat good, for a Japanese teenager.

Game: It's Katagiri-san's present! 16.7 million colors of pastels? How can we use all of those?

Sorry Ayako, I do like you, I really do, but...

RELOAD COUNT: 16

I REMEMBERED TO SAVE HERE

12/24: The Ninth Day of Christmas

Shiori, Yuina, and the introduction to Mio this time

why does this game hate me

RELOAD COUNT: 17

12/24: The Tenth Day of Christmas

Shiori -> Megumi -> Yuina

Game: It's Mikihara-san's present! A plush Banana Crocodile! Isn't it cute?

This is the worst possible outcome. We do not want Megumi's affection going up, since the entire reason she asks Shiori to introduce her to us is because she's already interested. Keep the bombs away from us, woman!

RELOAD COUNT: 18

12/24: The Eleventh Day of Christmas

Shiori, Yuina, and Mira.

no please I have a family

RELOAD COUNT: 19

12/24: The Twelfth Day of Christmas

Shiori -> Megumi -> Yuina

why

RELOAD COUNT: 20

12/24: The Thirteenth Day of Christmas

Shiori, Megumi, and Yuina

Game: It's Shiori's present! A classical score... this is a pretty nice gift!

12/24 (night): SAVE, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD SAVE

Last post of the night coming up: New Year's Day!

vibratingsheep fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 9, 2013

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

BlitzBlast posted:

So you're just going to have to keep reloading until you get the right present? I'm curious as to if that's actually necessary for the Shiori route or if it's just a thing you're doing because perfection.

If it's the former, then wow that is really bullshit.

It's not necessary, but it's very helpful. Picking one girl's present will raise her Affection level, and we don't want anyone's affection going higher than is necessary. In fact, most FAQs will tell you to reload if you even so much as talk to Megumi at any Christmas party past the first. She's the living embodiment of the Danger Zone.

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
:stonklol:

That was...the game does not want to work with you today, huh?

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

20 reloads already? We are totally on the right path for this.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
I'm so happy I suggested a reload count. :allears:

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

I forget the one time I went after Shiori and went mostly playboy with the other girls, but seeing this makes me really appreciate how easy they've made it in Girl's Side.

Really.

Mordecai
May 18, 2003

Known throughout the world! Chop people's head off to the ground! Angry eyes that frighten people! Dragon among humans, king of dragons... Manchurian Derp Deity, Ha Che'er.
Goddamn. I hope this is worth it.

vibratingsheep
Nov 2, 2013

New Year's 1996, Not THE God... just A god.

First order of business: We've ripped off the band-aid and met Mad Bomber Megumi. Because we scored so high on midterms, it was inevitable - if we hadn't met her at the Christmas party, Shiori would've introduced her to us on Valentine's Day. So in the long run, it's probably better to rip off the band-aid this way. Exposition Fairy, we need you!

12/25-12/30: Concert Band
12/31 (Sunday): Call Yoshio

Girl's voice: Yes, this is the Saotome residence.
Goon: Is Yoshio-kun home?
Girl's voice: Oh, you want to talk to my brother?
(the sound of running)
Girl's voice: Onii-chaaaan! Phone call!

Our first sign of Yumi, Mad Bomber #2. Please stay away for another 4 months, Yumi. Thank you.

Yoshio: Yes, this is Saotome.
Goon: Hello? It's Fudou.
Yoshio: Oh. It's you.
Goon: What's with tone of voice? Are you sad that I called you?
Yoshio: Don't ask stupid questions.
Yoshio: So what'd you call for?

The same old choices are here - Yoshio can be used to unlock date spots for you if you forget to check Memorial Spot every 3 months, but we're not interested in that.

Goon: I'd like to know what the girls think of me.
Yoshio: What they think of you, eh? Gimme a second.
Yoshio: What the girls think of you is...

This is... both good and bad. It's good that we have Shiori's affection climbing. It's bad that Yuina and Megumi are right there with her.

Yoshio: Something like this.
Goon: (Should I ask him about any one girl?)

Goon: I'd like to know more about Mikihara-san, if you can tell me anything.
Yoshio: Yeah, sure. Gimme a second.
Yoshio: Mikihara, Mikihara...
Yoshio: There she is. Okay, listen up and take notes.

Mikihara Megumi
Birthday: September 5th
Sign: Virgo
Blood Type: A
Measurements: 78-57-79 (31-22-31)
Club: None
Notes: Quiet girl who loves animals.
Gets easily flustered around boys, so has very few male friends.

Goon: Thanks! Sorry for bothering you with this stuff.
Yoshio: Bah, it's no problem at all. Ask me any time you want to know about a girl.
(click)

1/1 (holiday): New Year's Day!

While Japan converted its New Year celebration to the solar calendar back in the Meiji Restoration, it still holds much of the same meaning to the Japanese that it does to the rest of Asia. So on New Year's Day, most Japanese people visit their local shrine (some people go to Buddhist temples, but this is less common) to wash away the bad luck of the last year, pray for good fortune in the upcoming year, and buy good luck charms in a tradition known as Hatsumoude (初詣) - which means the first shrine visit of the year.

New Year's is more of a family holiday than Christmas is in Japan, and many people in the big cities "go home" to the countryside during this time. It's the biggest travel season of the year.

(ding-dong!)
Goon: Who could that be?
Deliveryman: Here're your New Year's cards!
Goon: (Sweet! Himoo-san sent a New Year's card. How lucky!)

New Year's cards in Japan are a very formal and artistic thing - you'll see more of those in TokiMemo 2, so I won't cover them here.

Goon: So what should I do now?

Option 1: Alright! Let's invite a girl to go to Hatsumoude.
Option 2: Alright! Let's go to Hatsumoude alone!

There is only one choice that matters.

Goon: Who should I invite?

Again, there is only one real choice.

Goon: Let's try calling Shiori.

Shiori: Hello, this is the Fujisaki residence.
Goon: Happy New Year! This is Fudou.
Shiori: Happy New Year, Gunpei-kun.
Goon: Shiori, are you free right now?
Shiori: Yes, I'm free, did you have something in mind?
Goon: Do you want to go to Hatsumoude?
Shiori: Sure, let's go.
Goon: Cool, I'll wait outside.
Shiori: I think it'll be a while before I'm ready, so I'll come to your house.
Goon: Got it. I'll wait here.
Shiori: See you in a bit.

(ding dong!)
Goon: (Is that Shiori?)

Goon: You're wearing a haregi...
Shiori: Does it look weird on me?

A haregi is a very specific kind of formal kimono. It's only worn by women and only on special occasions. In this game, only Yukari and Shiori wear one on New Year's.

Option 1: It really suits you.
Option 2: That looks awful on you.

Some day, I'll choose option 2 just to see what happens. This is not that day.

Shiori: You really mean it? Thanks!
Shiori: Let's go!

Shiori: It's less crowded than I expected.
Goon: Let's go pay our respects.
Shiori: Lead the way.

Goon: what should I pray for?

Option 1: Success in academics
Option 2: Health
Option 3: Luck in love

A quick note on what's going on here - a typical Hatsumoude starts with ceremonially washing your hands to wash away the bad luck and impurities of the last year. Then everyone lines up to pray at the front of the temple. The general method of prayer is to toss a coin or two into that grill-looking thing (which is a collection box), ring the shrine bell if there is one, then clap your hands, close your eyes, and pray for something good to happen.

While most everyone does this at Hatsumoude, this style of prayer isn't limited to Hatsumoude. You can see Japanese people doing it all year long when they want to make something good happen. Prayers for healthy children, traffic safety, good grades, and, if you go to the shrines I do, baseball championships are very common.

In terms of actual game effect, all three of these wishes do exactly what they say on the box. Praying for success at school makes it easier to raise academic stats. Praying for Health provides about 25-30 Stamina, or the equivalent of 2 Sundays of sleeping. Praying for luck in love is just asking for bombs to rain from the sky. For every TokiMemo but 4, the right answer is always to pray for good grades.

God: (Your wish shall be granted.)
Goon: (Hmm? It feels like my thoughts are acquiring speed.)

The lips acquire stains, the stains become a warn... wait, wrong universe. Anyway, God in this case isn't The Big Guy; it's just one of the local gods that the shrine has been erected to. No, it's not Bill Murray. Though that would be awesome.

Shiori: Hey, what did you pray for?
Goon: It's, um, it's a secret. What about you?
Shiori: If you won't tell me, then I'll keep mine a secret too.
Shiori: Want to go pull our fortunes?

When the Japanese say "pull a fortune", they mean it literally. At most shrines, they have dozens of fortunes written out and arranged on numbered shelves. In order to find out which fortune is yours, you shake around a little cylindrical box with a small opening on one end. Once you're confident you're going to pull the best fortune, you pull out a stick with a number etched on it. The people at the shrine will then take that numbered fortune and hand it to you, where it sums up your upcoming year with various levels of luckiness before going into more detail about various aspects of your life, from finance to romance.

If you don't like the fortune you pulled, tradition says to tie the fortune around the shrine's tree or a special rack, either of which will leech away the bad luck.

In gameplay terms, you know what this means? Yes, it's time for mini-games!

Goon: (Let's see, this year, my luck is going to be...)

There's no explanation for this mini-game, but it's super simple. Press Circle and you'll pull a fortune for the year. Good fortunes lower Stress, and bad fortunes raise Stress. You can get the best fortune by pressing Circle right when the box is in the center, but this mini-game works on the pachinko/skeeball principle. If you go for the highest score and miss by a little bit, you'll get nothing. Meanwhile, if you aim for the outsides, you can get good luck without stressing about it.

I don't know why, but Goon really puts his back into shaking that box.

Goon: This... this is...!

Goon: Ooh, Good Luck Ahead.
Goon: (Eh, could've been worse.)

Shiori: Hey, how's it look?
Goon: Go ahead and see for yourself.
Shiori: Ooh, not bad. This might be the best result anyway.
Goon: What about yours, Shiori? Let me see!
Shiori: Well... okay, I don't mind.
Goon: Wow, you pulled Great Luck! No fair hogging all the luck.
Shiori: But, um, you know what they say, "moderation in all things".
Goon: You don't have to console me, I don't really care.
Goon: (I. Am. So. Jealous.)

Shiori, of course, always draws 大吉, or Great Luck. Goon's reactions to his various fortunes are pretty funny, so we'll take a look at some of those later.

Shiori: Let's both work to make this year as good a year as possible, okay?
Goon: You got it. Should we head home?
Shiori: Yes, let's.

1/2-1/6: Concert Band
1/7: Call Shiori

Goon: Want to go to the zoo on February 4th?
Shiori: Let me check... oh, sorry. I'm busy that day.
Goon: It's, it's fine, I don't mind.
Shiori: I'll try to make it next time!
Goon: I will.
Goon: (Dammit. Next time!)

RELOAD COUNT: 21

Two reasons to reload here: One, I forgot it was winter break - using that time on club activities is a waste of precious stat-building time. Two, let's see more of those fortune scenes. They're funny.

12/25-12/30: Exercise
12/31 (Sunday): Study lit
1/1: New Year's, Part 2

Everything's the same, up until...

Goon: Bad luck...
Goon: (It's bad news right from the start this year...)

Shiori: Hey, how's it look?
Goon: Go ahead and see for yourself.
Shiori: Oh. But maybe this means you've used up all your bad luck for the year!
Goon: What about yours, Shiori?
Shiori: M, Mine? Mine was, um... Good Luck Ahead. Yeah.
Goon: Are you telling me the truth? Let me see.
Shiori: Sure, you can read it - oops! I dropped it. Oh no, now it's unreadable.
Goon: ......
Goon: (She definitely pulled Great Luck, didn't she...)

RELOAD COUNT: 22

12/25-12/30: Exercise
12/31 (Sunday): Study lit
1/1 (New Year's Day): New Year's #3!

Everything's the same, until...

Goon: Oh hey, Good Luck.
Goon: (Not bad, not bad)

The rest of the conversation is the same as the 末吉/Good Luck Ahead conversation above.

1/2-1/6: Exercise
1/7 (Sunday): Sleep

That's it for now - it's 3 months until Finals week and spring break of year 1. Our stat growth is pretty much amazing, thanks to keeping focused. But with more girls entering the picture, we're going to start losing weekends and vacation time. Building and balancing stats is going to be tricky in the years ahead!

Fudou Gunpei's stats as of January 7th, 1996:

Stamina 52 | Lit 114 | Science 110
Art 116 | Sports 85 | General Knowledge 77
Looks 72 | Guts 43 | Stress 2

Here's a reminder of what the stat goals are for Shiori. Remember, if we miss these by even one point, it's the Bad Ending:

Stamina 50+ | Lit 130+ | Science 130+
Art 130+ | Sports 110+ | General Knowledge 120+
Looks 100+ | Guts 100+ | Stress 50-

Guts is going to be the hardest stat to build, since it doesn't grow quickly. Thankfully, Concert Band is also one of the ideal Shiori-route clubs because it raises Guts while not straining Stamina too much.

Come to think of it, I just realized that even though we're past Saki's Guts threshold, we didn't manage to meet her in all of that Christmas loading and reloading. In fact, technically the only characters we haven't met yet are Yukari and Saki. How the hell did that happen?

Next time: Spring 1996, The Chainsaw Juggling Begins. Plus, the next poll. It should be up on Tuesday night. Ask me any questions you want in the meantime!

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

vibratingsheep posted:

Next time: Spring 1996, The Chainsaw Juggling Begins.

Open the blood gates. :black101: :unsmigghh:

The_Frag_Man
Mar 26, 2005

vibratingsheep posted:

Thanks! Although the fan translation part is something of a technicality - I've worked on the English end of localization before. It was even for Konami! (Metal Gear: Acid. I have no idea if I am in the credits for that game, but you can also find me in the credits of Death Jr., which I worked on at the same time as MG:A)

Would you tell us about your experiences with the translation business? You're doing a great job and keeping a great pace.
Are you a native english speaker? Do you know any additional languages? How long have you been learning?
It seems pretty interesting to me.

What do you think of Atlus keeping the honorifics in the modern Persona games?

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

vibratingsheep posted:

Goon: (She's a super high school level swimmer. I thought she'd be... less refined, I guess?)

Yes, the phrasing used to describe Nozomi is the exact same that Dangan Ronpa uses years later to describe its characters. Take that as you will.
I don't know exactly what it is in Japanese, and I don't know anything about Dangan Ronpa, but to me "super-high-school-level x" just reads as an (intentionally?) silly way of saying, "a way better x than you'd expect to find in high school". At first blush, I'd assume that it's a fairly normal-sounding phrase in Japanese and whatever translation of Dangan Ronpa exists just went in a weird direction with it. Is that not the case?

FractalSandwich fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Dec 9, 2013

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

I love the cultural notes you give. Even when you consume a lot of a culture's media you're stuck with this sort of sanitized view of how things work, so it's nice to learn some of what Japan is actually like.

As a side question, most Japanese are surveyed as being areligious. When they go to shrines do they actually expect any result from their prayers or is it just a purely social-ritual thing?

EDIT: Same thing with ghost stories. In Japanese media people seem to universally believe in stuff like that, which seems very odd given their religious views.

Gyre fucked around with this message at 14:11 on Dec 9, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyre
Feb 25, 2007

Quote is not edit.

• Locked thread